New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It can't really be called a tea party if the tea's that dillute. I mean, really, it's more of a water party.
    It works on the same principles as homeopathic medicine, the more dilute the tea the stronger it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #872
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Then why are they always brewing in the cup?
    Cultural obsession with instant gratification.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Well moving on to other topics, somebody at work is having a birthday party tomorrow!* One of my friends is trying to convince me to go because I need to do the social things, while another is stuck on the idea of 'inviting everybody is something you do for politeness, you don't actually want the nerd who can quote the speed of light in a vacuum and old Mock the Week jokes to turn up**'.

* and they're pretty, which is an additional reason to flee like mad.
    ** unless you've managed to convince them it's a costume party.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It can't really be called a tea party if the tea's that dillute. I mean, really, it's more of a water party.
    Well, I wasn't going to talk about British tea like that, but if you already admit it yourself....
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well moving on to other topics, somebody at work is having a birthday party tomorrow!* One of my friends is trying to convince me to go because I need to do the social things, while another is stuck on the idea of 'inviting everybody is something you do for politeness, you don't actually want the nerd who can quote the speed of light in a vacuum and old Mock the Week jokes to turn up**'.

Just go. Worst case scenario it is awkward, you drop off your gift, wish them happy birthday and leave. Nothing lost.

Best case scenario you have a great time and your self confidence improves.

6. - Top - End - #876

Gonna second that "just go" statement, with the addendum that hey; free food and cake.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    British people use "kettle" to mean "thing that you boil water in" and "teapot" to mean "totally necessary{~} middle step between the kettle and the cup."

Americans use "teapot" to mean "thing that you boil water in" and "kettle" to mean "a certain type of popcorn."
    Really? I would have thought the most famout teapot in America is the Utah Teapot, and that's definitely a (for lack of a better term) brewing teapot. Checking my go-to American dictionary, Webster's* defines a teapot as "a vessel with a spout and a handle in which tea is brewed and from which it is served". Maybe it's a regional thing?

*Specifically the Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 10th edition.

Also it would be cold. Boston Harbour's part of the Atlantic, it's not like you can just boil the ocea- ... wait a minute, is that what all the pollution's for?

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also it would be cold. Boston Harbour's part of the Atlantic, it's not like you can just boil the ocea- ... wait a minute, is that what all the pollution's for?
    USA! USA! USA!

Also you can make tea with cold water. That is what sun tea is.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Barbarian in the Playground

Really? I would have thought the most famout teapot in America is the Utah Teapot, and that's definitely a (for lack of a better term) brewing teapot. Checking my go-to American dictionary, Webster's* defines a teapot as "a vessel with a spout and a handle in which tea is brewed and from which it is served". Maybe it's a regional thing?

*Specifically the Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 10th edition.

uh oh, you figured it out! Now I REALLY need to hoard my anti matter!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. Well, this is the second day of my 30-day challenge of losing weight. So far I've been eating Poppy Bagel with eggs, bacon and cheese, Seltzer water and a free black coffee on the house for breakfast. And for lunch, I eat broccoli and chicken pizza with Seltzer water. And for a pick me up I ate cantelope chunks and a bottle of regular water.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-09-05 at 08:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881

Antelope

C H U N K S.

That sounds extremely unpleasant, but then I imagine chicken nuggets probably sound gross too.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Antelope

C H U N K S.

That sounds extremely unpleasant, but then I imagine chicken nuggets probably sound gross too.
    Auto-corrected is a Mitch. I meant cantelope chunks.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Antelope

C H U N K S.

Stew meat is usually in shapes describable as "chunks", too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #884

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Auto-corrected is a Mitch. I meant cantelope chunks.
    Okay see now that makes no sense. Interesting! It's Cantaloupe, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Stew meat is usually in shapes describable as "chunks", too.
    True!

15. - Top - End - #885

BlackDragon

Oops. I've always watched Mock the Week, you'd have thought I'd have picked up the reference.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Gonna second that "just go" statement, with the addendum that hey; free food and cake.
    I don't think I need more food

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Teapots? well...its complex.

Honestly...socialization....and so if I do brew in the teapot people get weirded out. and suddenly I'm being judged as "fussy" "weird" etc...and I get too much of that anyway and its just work anyway.

For a long time getting looseleaf tea in the states took time, effort etc. that most people were not willing to up with and using bagged tea in a pot is not as useful as looseleaf in a pot.

teapots being regulated to a "decorative" function which means that getting one that is easy to clean, stands up to abuse, of a decent size, actually pours decently (shockingly many don't), is a bunch of work again and many people have bad expereinces at first and so swear them off.

18. - Top - End - #888

I took a trip into the bad opinion zone today and now I'm all riled up but not one single friend of mine has any interest, desire, or tangential knowledge necessary to understand, a 600 word essay on why the finale to The Last Airbender was good and why Korra is a good series.

Also **** you auto-correct, there is no way tangental is spelt tangential. It's pronounced like the former! AND SPELT IS A WORD.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Okay see now that makes no sense. Interesting! It's Cantaloupe, by the way.

True!
    Ok my bad. Also Cantaloupe chunks are pieces of Cantaloupe mostly in cubes.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

I took a trip into the bad opinion zone today and now I'm all riled up but not one single friend of mine has any interest, desire, or tangential knowledge necessary to understand, a 600 word essay on why the finale to The Last Airbender was good and why Korra is a good series.

Also **** you auto-correct, there is no way tangental is spelt tangential. It's pronounced like the former! AND SPELT IS A WORD.
    Tangential is how it's spelled actually.

And you could rant to me about it.

21. - Top - End - #891

Also **** you auto-correct, there is no way tangental is spelt tangential. It's pronounced like the former!
    Note to self, "tangential" is another word that Brits pronounce differently, apparently.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Tangential is correct. It's annoying that spelling isn't phonetic, but it does so some useful stuff.

Like telling apart homophones. It's already awkward in speech when you mistake formally for formerly.

On a writing stuff front, when I've got a new WordPress* blog set up I'm going to be putting a couple of my old pieces on it, as well as Valuable (a working title for my anti-alchemy story). It feels weird to actually be planning to put my stuff out there.

* I mean, as long as they don't have terms about republishing, I'm planning to put this stuff in a free ebook down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Note to self, "tangential" is another word that Brits pronounce differently, apparently.
    Look, at least we didn't get rid of æ (although generally written 'ae' these days). For the record it's closer to a long e sound than an a and e together.

In other news, I dropped by the party just to wish the host a happy birthday. Now I'm feeling sad that my autism keeps me from parties*, and dien because all the ladies were looking so pretty and I have to struggle not to be unkempt.

*hooray for sensory overload!

Show

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

Like telling apart homophones. It's already awkward in speech when you mistake formally for formerly.
    Do you pronounce an "r" in both of those or neither of them? Either way is weird.

I took a trip into the bad opinion zone today and now I'm all riled up but not one single friend of mine has any interest, desire, or tangential knowledge necessary to understand, a 600 word essay on why the finale to The Last Airbender was good.
    Maybe don't use just the subtitle when referring to it, since that's also the official title for the bad live-action adaptation.

Unless that's what you were referring to, in which case: What the **** is wrong with you‽
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-06 at 05:20 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #894

Do you pronounce an "r" in both of those or neither of them? Either way is weird.
    The Brits are rhotic, they don't ever pronounce the R.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The Brits are rhotic, they don't ever pronounce the R.
    Those statments are contradictory.

I'm guessing you meant the second one, in which case: "foamally" is a weird way of saying anything.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-06 at 05:23 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Getting a w in both is difficult, but written it.

In all seriousness, no r. I speak incredibly low RP, so I'm pretty much fully non-rhotic. Or well, non-hotic as I pronounce it. Or non-otic if I'm adjusting my speech due to a more working class environment.

EDIT: to make it clear, there's an r in the 'for' for both words. But the second r in formerly isn't pronounced, instead changing how the e gets pronounced, in this case to more of an a sound.

EDIT2: I believe you're right.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-09-06 at 05:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure "rhotic" means "with the 'r'."
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-06 at 05:32 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #898

I'm pretrty sure "rhotic" means "with the 'r'."
    Nah, they reversed it when you weren't looking.

They also pahked the cah in the Hahvahd yahd.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

"why the finale to The Last Airbender was good"

For the most part I agree, but I find Aang's compunction against killing... incredibly odd & forced considering this hasn't really been a thing before now even at times where he really should've brought it up. Like when he was sinking fire navy ships in the north. (saving Zuko because you don't want him to freeze to death is one moment in hundreds) Or when he was originally gearing up to fight the Firelord on the day of black sun. Yeah he's a compassionate goofball, the Air Nomads had no formal military, and I could very easily believe this is a part of his character, but it really feels like there should've been more buildup if it was going to affect the trajectory of the entire finale.

"why Korra is a good series"

-with some monumental flaws that are, frankly, near-impossible to overlook. *glances at season 2 in particular*
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-09-06 at 05:40 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm pretty sure "rhotic" means "with the 'r'."

Spoiler: You are correct
    Show
    The historical English /r/ sound is preserved in all pronunciation contexts in the "rhotic varieties" of English,[a] which primarily include the English dialects of Scotland, Ireland, and most of the United States and Canada. However, the historical /r/ is not pronounced except before vowels in "non-rhotic varieties",[b] which include most of the dialects of modern England, Wales, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and some parts of the southern and eastern—particularly coastal northeastern[4]—United States