New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Do you pronounce an "r" in both of those or neither of them? Either way is weird.

Maybe don't use just the subtitle when referring to it, since that's also the official title for the bad live-action adaptation.

Unless that's what you were referring to, in which case: What the **** is wrong with you‽
    I have seen aproximetely 30 minutes of the M Night Movie version of Avatar and I've never wanted to die more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    "why the finale to The Last Airbender was good"

For the most part I agree, but I find Aang's compunction against killing... incredibly odd & forced considering this hasn't really been a thing before now even at times where he really should've brought it up. Like when he was sinking fire navy ships in the north. (saving Zuko because you don't want him to freeze to death is one moment in hundreds) Or when he was originally gearing up to fight the Firelord on the day of black sun. Yeah he's a compassionate goofball, the Air Nomads had no formal military, and I could very easily believe this is a part of his character, but it really feels like there should've been more buildup if it was going to affect the trajectory of the entire finale.

"why Korra is a good series"

-with some monumental flaws that are, frankly, near-impossible to overlook. *glances at season 2 in particular*
    Aang's compunction against killing does seem to go against his headless nature of throwing entire boats off waterfalls, but I'd actually chalk that up to innocent niavety on his part, and the show having to find it's footing. He does show a distaste for violence throughout the series, and not wanting to personally kill someone in a 1v1 fight (even if he is preparing for it) is a way different thing than fighting a bunch of people and maybe killing someone by accident. I do agree they needed more overt build up, though I felt like there was enough for me.

The main complaint I'm talking about with Korra is that some people think Korra and Asami's relationship was pulled out of their ass at the end of season 4, and I find this _hilariously_ wrong since I watched season 3 with a friend live and actually annoyed him a bit by pointing out all the overt, obvious shipping between the two they were doing. Then we got to season 4 and it was even more obviously There. To say that this relationship wasn't there in the text, and pretty clear, is being intentionally oblivious. I would have liked more, yes, but the visual language of the show confirmed their relationship so I don't NEED them to say they love each other or kiss... but I do WANT them to, and I'm glad the comics gave us that.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is this really an issue for people? Dragonball had Chi-Chi show up after being gone for most of the show at that point and marry Goku based on a joke from the first arc. Naruto never shows a romantic interest in Hinata and they get married, this seems like a weird complaint for what is in fact a kids' show.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-09-06 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #903

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Is this really an issue for people? Dragonball had Chi-Chi show up after being gone for most of the show at that point and marry Goku based on a joke from the first arc. Naruto never shows a romantic interest in Hinata and they get married, this seems like a weird complaint for what is in fact a kids' show.
    Okay so first off nerds are stupid so yes of course they're going to complain about how they missed the actual obvious character moments between the two that made it clear they were romantically interested in ecah other.

But also: when Chi-Chi shows back up it's a mystery about who she is, and she actually fights him to try and win her marriage and that's at interesting. And a LOT of people complained that Naruto never once in the entire series expressed any sort of positive feelings towards Hinata. It's my own personal major complaint! Hell, in the epilogue for the series, they literally DO NOT SHARE A SINGLE PANEL TOGETHER. It sucks! I want to see the romance! It was like, ten chapters into Boruto that they were actually in the same ****ing room together!!!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay so first off nerds are stupid so yes of course they're going to complain about how they missed the actual obvious character moments between the two that made it clear they were romantically interested in ecah other.

But also: when Chi-Chi shows back up it's a mystery about who she is, and she actually fights him to try and win her marriage and that's at interesting. And a LOT of people complained that Naruto never once in the entire series expressed any sort of positive feelings towards Hinata. It's my own personal major complaint! Hell, in the epilogue for the series, they literally DO NOT SHARE A SINGLE PANEL TOGETHER. It sucks! I want to see the romance! It was like, ten chapters into Boruto that they were actually in the same ****ing room together!!!
    That isn't really the point of the story though, right? The only person whose romantic feelings matter in Shipuden is Sakura's, everyone else is busy fighting the War on Magic Terror.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Spoiler: You are correct
    Show
    The historical English /r/ sound is preserved in all pronunciation contexts in the "rhotic varieties" of English,[a] which primarily include the English dialects of Scotland, Ireland, and most of the United States and Canada. However, the historical /r/ is not pronounced except before vowels in "non-rhotic varieties",[b] which include most of the dialects of modern England, Wales, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and some parts of the southern and eastern—particularly coastal northeastern[4]—United States
    Eh, if I say it my way enough it'll become true. The evolution of language is as beautiful as it is mysterious.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #906

That isn't really the point of the story though, right? The only person whose romantic feelings matter in Shipuden is Sakura's, everyone else is busy fighting the War on Magic Terror.
    If they are going to get together at the end at least water my crops a little please. Give me something! Naruto's love for Sakura is a major theme of the series too, and Hinata's love for Naruto is basically one of her only two character traits! So there should be more given to it.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If they are going to get together at the end at least water my crops a little please. Give me something! Naruto's love for Sakura is a major theme of the series too, and Hinata's love for Naruto is basically one of her only two character traits! So there should be more given to it.
    Romance can stay dry as far as I feel :P

I feel like actual romance is pretty hard to show without a lot of time devoted to it. Naruto characters have crushes, they aren't going to go over the gritty stuff about whether the relationship actually works. Imagine if they had Sakura and Naruto date for a while to find out Sakura snores and Naruto can't sleep with a snoring person, or Hinata and Naruto sleep in a dog pile and Sakura needed too much physical space. Or someone drinks straight from the milk bottle.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

I have seen aproximetely 30 minutes of the M Night Movie version of Avatar and I've never wanted to die more than that.
    I've seen zero minutes, and I still know you're slightly underselling it's awfulness.

I'm glad we agree it's terrible.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #909

Romance can stay dry as far as I feel :P

I feel like actual romance is pretty hard to show without a lot of time devoted to it. Naruto characters have crushes, they aren't going to go over the gritty stuff about whether the relationship actually works. Imagine if they had Sakura and Naruto date for a while to find out Sakura snores and Naruto can't sleep with a snoring person, or Hinata and Naruto sleep in a dog pile and Sakura needed too much physical space. Or someone drinks straight from the milk bottle.
    I mean in the right series that would work.

But just because I don't want them to go TOO far with it, doesn't mean I want nothing. And honestly, more series do need some scenes of domestic bliss to help support their couples. Because Hinata clearly has a thing for Naruto, but when Hinata said she loved him and then almost died kicking the ass of one of the villains, his response was... "okay time to go save Sakura" and nothing else, and until Boruto like chapter 13 he never said he loved her back. And that feels like a mistake, regardless of how much or little romance there is going to be.

What I'm saying is, let me see that the love is real. Korra did that in a variety of ways. Naruto didn't do it at all, and that ends up making it feel like Naruto is more romantically involved in Sasuke than anyone else (and THEY at least kissed...)

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean in the right series that would work.

But just because I don't want them to go TOO far with it, doesn't mean I want nothing. And honestly, more series do need some scenes of domestic bliss to help support their couples. Because Hinata clearly has a thing for Naruto, but when Hinata said she loved him and then almost died kicking the ass of one of the villains, his response was... "okay time to go save Sakura" and nothing else, and until Boruto like chapter 13 he never said he loved her back. And that feels like a mistake, regardless of how much or little romance there is going to be.

What I'm saying is, let me see that the love is real. Korra did that in a variety of ways. Naruto didn't do it at all, and that ends up making it feel like Naruto is more romantically involved in Sasuke than anyone else (and THEY at least kissed...)
    Yeah but I don't know that Naruto actually does love Hinata romantically. They aren't modern people, political stuff counts. The potential heir to the most powerful group left in the village is in love with you, and is a looker. It makes perfect sense for them to get married even if their relationship is on his end more of a friendship then a romantic attachment.

11. - Top - End - #911

Yeah but I don't know that Naruto actually does love Hinata romantically. They aren't modern people, political stuff counts. The potential heir to the most powerful group left in the village is in love with you, and is a looker. It makes perfect sense for them to get married even if their relationship is on his end more of a friendship then a romantic attachment.
    That's the thing though.

Until we got a decent way into Boruto, a sequel series that takes place after two mini-series after Naruto proper... we didn't know ANYTHING about how Naruto feels about Hinata AT ALL. He married her, they had two kids, so clearly there's something there, maybe, but they literally did not share a single page, a single PANEL, together. They don't even say each other's names. If it weren't for the fact that Boruto and his sister are clearly... related, and some contextual clues, there wouldn't even actually be any evidence that they are married.

THIS feels like a mistake, and I don't think you can deny that.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's the thing though.

Until we got a decent way into Boruto, a sequel series that takes place after two mini-series after Naruto proper... we didn't know ANYTHING about how Naruto feels about Hinata AT ALL. He married her, they had two kids, so clearly there's something there, maybe, but they literally did not share a single page, a single PANEL, together. They don't even say each other's names. If it weren't for the fact that Boruto and his sister are clearly... related, and some contextual clues, there wouldn't even actually be any evidence that they are married.

THIS feels like a mistake, and I don't think you can deny that.
    I don't read Boruto, but I can imagine they should have done something with it. Depends on how Boruto focused it is, most kids' don't pay much attention to their parent's lives. As an epilogue it seemed fine, most people end up shacking up with someone. Most people don't have great romances, they decide they want a mate and find someone else who does too.

13. - Top - End - #913

I don't read Boruto, but I can imagine they should have done something with it. Depends on how Boruto focused it is, most kids' don't pay much attention to their parent's lives. As an epilogue it seemed fine, most people end up shacking up with someone. Most people don't have great romances, they decide they want a mate and find someone else who does too.
    I mean Boruto fixes the issue by at least trying, eventually, to show their relationship. The actual Naruto epilogue doesn't show anything indicative of them being in love at all and that's my issue.

I know people quote unquote "settle" for romantic partners sometimes, but "They want a mate and find someone else who does" is a weird way to phrase it.

Also, I want to specify that I don't ALWAYS want romance, obviously. Ace is ace too, after all. But I am a sucker for romance and want to see big gushy love and stuff. I want to see a person look at the scars of their lover and say "you're beautiful" and mean it, unironically, without any qualifiers.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-06 at 09:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean Boruto fixes the issue by at least trying, eventually, to show their relationship. The actual Naruto epilogue doesn't show anything indicative of them being in love at all and that's my issue.

I know people quote unquote "settle" for romantic partners sometimes, but "They want a mate and find someone else who does" is a weird way to phrase it.

Also, I want to specify that I don't ALWAYS want romance, obviously. Ace is ace too, after all. But I am a sucker for romance and want to see big gushy love and stuff. I want to see a person look at the scars of their lover and say "you're beautiful" and mean it, unironically, without any qualifiers.
    I guess I just don't see why Naruto, which is a story about a world ending conflict, needs to shovel the details of the next few years in. It's pretty easy for them to not be in love during the story and fall in love later, they were a little busy not dying.

15. - Top - End - #915

I guess I just don't see why Naruto, which is a story about a world ending conflict, needs to shovel the details of the next few years in. It's pretty easy for them to not be in love during the story and fall in love later, they were a little busy not dying.
    Because Naruto was never about, and should have never become about, a world ending conflict.

Alternatively, having an emphasized show of love blooming after war has... you know, symbolic importance. We can endure darkness and become stronger from getting trough it. You know, stuff like that?

(also the ninja war lasted three days or so, there was definitely time at some point before it to fix these errors).

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Because Naruto was never about, and should have never become about, a world ending conflict.

Alternatively, having an emphasized show of love blooming after war has... you know, symbolic importance. We can endure darkness and become stronger from getting trough it. You know, stuff like that?

(also the ninja war lasted three days or so, there was definitely time at some point before it to fix these errors).
    Sakura did that one :P Her weird stalker obsession got a serial killer to marry her even after he stabbed her, that is dedication!

Naruto's entire life was devoted to Sasuke from age 12 until the end of the Ninja War. He was the true ship (including all the stalker stuff and the getting stabbed.)

17. - Top - End - #917

Sakura did that one :P Her weird stalker obsession got a serial killer to marry her even after he stabbed her, that is dedication!

Naruto's entire life was devoted to Sasuke from age 12 until the end of the Ninja War. He was the true ship (including all the stalker stuff and the getting stabbed.)
    Man don't even get me started on Sasuke, a man who seems actively dedicated solely to stealing Gendo Ikari's "Worst Dad Ever" mug. He's such a ****ing putz.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

Man don't even get me started on Sasuke, a man who seems actively dedicated solely to stealing Gendo Ikari's "Worst Dad Ever" mug. He's such a ****ing putz.
    Is that the life thread alchemist?

Cuz abandoning your child with a woman who's not her mother is still not on the same level as what that ****er pulls.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm very stupid.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-09-06 at 11:58 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #919

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Is that the life thread alchemist?

Cuz abandoning your child with a woman who's not her mother is still not on the same level as what that ****er pulls.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm very stupid.
    I've already clarified this to you in private but for reference to those of you following this strange, strange conversation I've found myself in: Sakura is Sarada's mom, through Sasuke. She did give birth to him. But because Sasuke then proceeded to be an absent father and husband for 15 years, Sarada grew up with suspicions that they were not related. This wasn't helped that by the time they did finally meet for the first time since her birth, Sasuke didn't recognize his own flesh and blood and tried to kill her, only stopping because she managed to dodge while shouting "DADDY NO".

I want to make it clear that Sasuke has a cell-phone and could have received a text at any time, could have come home at any time according to Naruto, and has lightning powers so the fact that Sasuke never has his cell-phone charged means he's genuinely being negligent to an ABSURD degree.

20. - Top - End - #920

BlackDragon

I'm a bit confused about the "tangential" thing from earlier. I pronounce that "tan-jen-shal", what way do you pronounce it, Zodi?

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I've seen zero minutes, and I still know you're slightly underselling it's awfulness.

I'm glad we agree it's terrible.
    Eh, the M Night Shamalyn film isn't as bad as people claim. A lot of it has to do with being bad compared to the TV programme.

I mean, I saw it before Legend of Aang, and on it's own merits it's, alrightish? Not okay, but showing the promise to be if they got better actors for Aang and Katara or focused more on the Fire Nation. Also suffering from a lack of explanation as to what's going on, because there's clearly half an hour or more cut from it.

It's bad, really bad, but it could have been good, even okay in comparison to TLA. I believe there's even evidence of alternate takes from before the 3Dification which feature better acting.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the "tangential" thing from earlier. I pronounce that "tan-jen-shal", what way do you pronounce it, Zodi?
    I pronounce it like that sometimes, but other times I pronounce it like Zodi probably does, which is almost the same but with a "t" sound instead of the "sh" sound that is, in either case, represented by the "ti" symbols.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #923

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Tan-Gentle.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tan-Gentle.
    That would be such a good dog name.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Even if the dog's personality was ruff?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Eh, if I say it my way enough it'll become true. The evolution of language is as beautiful as it is mysterious.
    You see this kind of meaning reversal thing is how English gets far to mess we get inflammable vs flammable and "an organic cat litter" vs "inorganic cat litter"
    Spoiler: which can have major consequences
    Show
    like THIS HAPPENED because someone took a phone msg and wrote down the wrong one

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    I am now thinking of a Black or White highly aggressive dog with an ironic name
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-09-07 at 03:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tan-Gentle.
    I say it tan-gent-tial, with a secret second t to make ial easier to say.

28. - Top - End - #928

I say it tan-gent-tial, with a secret second t to make ial easier to say.
    That turns it into tan-gen-teal to me, and that feels SO wrong to my brain and mouth.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

Zodi, "ti" is supposed to be pronounced like in "action"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That turns it into tan-gen-teal to me, and that feels SO wrong to my brain and mouth.
    That is pretty close to how I say it. But I also say both of the "r"s in library and the r in caterpillar, so I'm probably weird.

I think it comes from having had a strong local accent as a youth and then going to a university where the majority were from a different state, I got a lot of criticism from people and changed my speech a lot.

Edit: To be fair none of them knew how to say Yachats or Willamette so we were even :P
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-09-07 at 08:36 PM.