New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1471
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Language in general is fake, but English is the fakest of them all.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Going to a trivia night with a co worker and his wife tonight. So excited! First time really doing this sort of thing beyond the like, two MTG events.

It's time to Soc-ul-ize!
    Nice! Hope that it's an enjoyable time.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

Language in general is fake, but English is the fakest of them all.
    I'm not complaining about pronunciation being unintuitive; I'm complaining about people insisting otherwise.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #1234

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm not complaining about pronunciation being unintuitive; I'm complaining about people insisting otherwise.
    My comment was more of a "let them be dumb just ignore it" thing more than anything else.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Going to a trivia night with a co worker and his wife tonight. So excited! First time really doing this sort of thing beyond the like, two MTG events.

It's time to Soc-ul-ize!
    Have fun! Knock 'em dead.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #1236

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Nice! Hope that it's an enjoyable time.
    I imagine it will be. It's my first time really going OUT out, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Have fun! Knock 'em dead.
    I will murder everyone!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

I will murder everyone!
    Remember to hide the bodies this time.

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #1238

Look it's not my fault I panicked and forgot to stuff them in the chandeliers. And technically they were knocked out so it's fine. My hands are clean I've murdered no one.

This is silly. I'm gonna abruptly change topic to note that an artist doing some art for me posted her sketch and I've spent all day with a window open on it to look at it since it's just, chef finger kisses, amazing.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-25 at 04:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Woohoo! Foot in the door! Do you tend to interview well?
    No, but I now have a potential invitation to an interview!

I still don't understand why British people pronounce "gha" as "i" and then insist it's not only perfectly intuitive, but the "only" intuitive way to pronounce it.
    Can you give me an ecample? I'm trying to think of words which use that construction, but can't.

(Although as a speaker of low-RP, I should note that there's a lot of sounds that I pronounce a bit counter-intuitively, because back when I was having speech therapy that was the 'right' way to pronounce them. RP has fallen off in the last couple of decades, so these days my accent sounds extremely posh.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Can you give me an ecample? I'm trying to think of words which use that construction, but can't.
    I think Peelee lives in the American version of one.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-09-25 at 04:16 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Look it's not my fault I panicked and forgot to stuff them in the chandeliers. And technically they were knocked out so it's fine. My hands are clean I've murdered no one.
    It's totally your fault and the game did count several people as dead, not just unconscious.

Also the people you stabbed outright and/or dumped into the river.

This is silly. I'm gonna abruptly change topic to note that an artist doing some art for me posted her sketch and I've spent all day with a window open on it to look at it since it's just, chef finger kisses, amazing.
    Oh, neat.

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #1242

It's totally your fault and the game did count several people as dead, not just unconscious.

Also the people you stabbed outright and/or dumped into the river.

Oh, neat.
    I've only thrown people into the water if they came pre-dead. And it's been surprisingly light on that happening, not many chances to consign people to the waves. La'tem.

Yeah it's super good. She does art in MS Paint and yet somehow it turns out looking like this.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

I think Peelee lives in the American version of one.
    Ah, I think it's got to do with the 'dropping of aiches'. So in lower social circles I tend to say 'istory instead of history, although in no situation would 'erbs be acceptable (you get used to it). So it's Notting-am (more like Notting-im in my accent) instead of Notting-ham, and it's generally considered the only logical way to pronounce it because using the h makes it feel more like two words (at least to me).

That is the fastest way for a Robin Hood film to take me out of it. The pronounciation is just so weird in the UK that I can't take the film seriously afterwards.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

I imagine it will be. It's my first time really going OUT out, you know?
    Yeah, I dig, dig?

(There's definitely a difference between a small gathering of friends and stuff, and a bunch of a random people.)

Nice... and I totally don't know that feeling, nosirreebob, never happened ever. >.>;

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I think it's got to do with the 'dropping of aiches'. So in lower social circles I tend to say 'istory instead of history, although in no situation would 'erbs be acceptable (you get used to it). So it's Notting-am (more like Notting-im in my accent) instead of Notting-ham, and it's generally considered the only logical way to pronounce it because using the h makes it feel more like two words (at least to me).

That is the fastest way for a Robin Hood film to take me out of it. The pronounciation is just so weird in the UK that I can't take the film seriously afterwards.
    ...You've now managed to successfully convince me that the American pronunciation is roughly as awkward as the British one is unintuitive.

Congratulations! There is no longer any pronunciation of "___ingham" that feels natural to me; I'll just avoid mentioning any such place out loud from now on. That should be easy enough.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

I've only thrown people into the water if they came pre-dead. And it's been surprisingly light on that happening, not many chances to consign people to the waves. La'tem.

Yeah it's super good. She does art in MS Paint and yet somehow it turns out looking like this.
    You threw several people who did not come pre-dead into the river, particularly when you escaped from jail for regicide (albeit regicide you were framed for).

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #1247

Yeah, I dig, dig?

(There's definitely a difference between a small gathering of friends and stuff, and a bunch of a random people.)

Nice... and I totally don't know that feeling, nosirreebob, never happened ever. >.>;
    We dig so much we've created a trench. And this is with a small gathering of friends WITHIN a bunch of random people, instead of solo through random people like the MTG stuff.

Truthfully I feel that way about all the art I get. Even when it's silly photoshopped nerf arrows on a unit that just refuses to get strength

You threw several people who did not come pre-dead into the river, particularly when you escaped from jail for regicide (albeit regicide you were framed for).
    If you review the taps you will see that I only ever pitched people into the water when they were dead when I got there. I have done no crimes.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

...You've now managed to successfully convince me that the American pronunciation is roughly as awkward as the British one is unintuitive.

Congratulations! There is no longer any pronunciation of "___ingham" that feels natural to me; I'll just avoid mentioning any such place out loud from now on. That should be easy enough.
    To be fair, there's a lot about American pronunciation that sounds plain weird to me, like replacing ae* in words with a single e. I also find the dropped us on words like honour/honor and armour/armor weird, to me those would be completely different pronunciations.

* to those unfamiliar with it, that's not a literal ae sound, but closer to ee.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

We dig so much we've created a trench. And this is with a small gathering of friends WITHIN a bunch of random people, instead of solo through random people like the MTG stuff.
    Yeah, certainly a different feeling situation. Hopefully it all is Fun Times(tm), though.

Truthfully I feel that way about all the art I get. Even when it's silly photoshopped nerf arrows on a unit that just refuses to get strength
    ...I'm flattered that you think that was competent enough to be photoshopped.
    It was not. It was all done in PowerPoint.
    (Also, I kinda forgot about that happenstance. Fire emblem... ah, nothing but good memories. )

If you review the taps you will see that I only ever pitched people into the water when they were dead when I got there. I have done no crimes.
    Besides breaking and entering, kidnapping, assault...

20. - Top - End - #1250

...I'm flattered that you think that was competent enough to be photoshopped.
    It was not. It was all done in PowerPoint.
    (Also, I kinda forgot about that happenstance. Fire emblem... ah, nothing but good memories. )

Besides breaking and entering, kidnapping, assault...
    Anything made in my name in good faith is appreciated warmly and with much love. I'm a gentle god, in that sense.

And hey. Whatever works works.

I recuse myself from the stand at this time.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

Anything made in my name in good faith is appreciated warmly and with much love. I'm a gentle god, in that sense.

And hey. Whatever works works.

I recuse myself from the stand at this time.
    'Rescue'? Don't you mean recuse?

... oh. You did so say recuse. Too bad, that would've been funny.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, I'm at Level 4 of my Chess Free App Challenge. And Level 4 is a bit difficult. The Level 4 CPU has a rating of 1235. So I think it still low tier maybe mid-tier.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

IIRC 1200 is the beginner rating.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

IIRC 1200 is the beginner rating.
    Really? Ok but I have a difficult time beating it. I guess I have to be a bit more clever to beat Level 4.

25. - Top - End - #1255

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Really? Ok but I have a difficult time beating it. I guess I have to be a bit more clever to beat Level 4.
    Imean, it's the beginner rank for competitive play, I think. You're just playing for fun, so you're starting from 0, so that's a good build up!

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Imean, it's the beginner rank for competitive play, I think. You're just playing for fun, so you're starting from 0, so that's a good build-up!
    Of course, I'm playing it for fun. Because I'm playing casual mode for a reason. Besides, I use to be competitive but I tone it down my competitive edge to have fun. Don't get me started on Pro Mode. It's crazy.

27. - Top - End - #1257

BlackDragon

So it's Notting-am (more like Notting-im in my accent) instead of Notting-ham
    Whereas for me it's more Not-ing-um.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Neil Cicierega has made a lot of great remixes, but I think this one is his best.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Whereas for me it's more Not-ing-um.
    I mean, I wouldn't expect the people next door to pronounce it the same, accents diverge quickly these days

You know, for the last few years I've been wondering exactly how the diversity of UK accents is viewed by Americans. I know US accents tend to cover a borader geographical area, the joke that you can tell somebody's town from their accent in the UK is actually based in fact (but you need a very good ear and the right town). I've met people who can identify the area of London you're from via your accent, I've also been mistaken for a Londoner by Londoners (it comes from a native Home Counties accent being poshed up).

Show

30. - Top - End - #1260

I mean, I wouldn't expect the people next door to pronounce it the same, accents diverge quickly these days

You know, for the last few years I've been wondering exactly how the diversity of UK accents is viewed by Americans.
    England has 4 accents. High class, low class, cockney, and BBC.