Imp

Default Drow Against Midnight OOC

IC thread link

Discord link

PCs: Please select a speech color.

Other Notes:
    NPCs:
    Freel, a hunter troll

Note that some of the details are different for this game, especially that Lolth worship is common:
    https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Zirnakaynin
    https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Drow_noble_houses

Spoiler: intro
    Show
    The drow city of Zirnakaynin is in danger: A mad drow matron named Allevrah of House Azrinae plans to use powerful magic to call a massive asteroid to smash the cities of the hated surface elves living above, but as the wiser drow now realize (though the Azrinae deny it), that would also cause the massive caverns of the Underdark directly below to collapse. As some of the most skilled adventurers among the drow, you have been tasked with stopping this catastophic event. Matron Alicavniss of House Vonnarc, a powerful wizard rather than a priestess, estimated that perhaps a few weeks remain in which stopping it is possible, and supplied you with some ideas as to how, but you must travel to the highly dangerous Land of Black Blood.

Zirnakaynin is a fairly conventional drow city in which worship of the Spider Queen Lolth is prominent, but it's not a monopoly; other demon lords are worshipped there as well, including Lolth's grandson Selvetarm. As a result, males are nearly equal to females, though no House is led by a male. House Azrinae is known to worship the Demon Lord of Knowledge, Abraxas.

Posting frequency should be at least 2 / week.

Spoiler: the 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5, with homebrew material.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

A modified version of Paizo's Second Darkness: Ch. 6 - Descent Into Midnight

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4 players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

GITP forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

14th level. The drow LA is assumed to have already been bought off.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

125k gp plus a Vest of Resistance +5, 20 doses of drow poison (DC 13, 75 gp each), a Mwk hand crossbow with 20 bolts, a backpack, a 50' silk rope, 5 vials of antitoxin, and a slotless Ring of Sustenance.

You may also choose to start with a Cave Gecko lizard mount (see below) trained for combat riding.

For starting equipment, potions/oils cost half, and Drow, Spider, or Underdark themed rods and wondrous magic items also cost half.

You can have a 'slush fund' of unspent gold, from which you can pull any desired item within cost limits as long as you could reasonably have been carrying it. Items pulled from this fund cost double (and don't get the discount noted above) and once an item is pulled, it can't be changed or returned to the fund.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Homebrew classes ONLY. No Tier 1 classes. No class "fixes".

Classes should be balanced against official 3.5 classes and must not make any 3.5 class obsolete by comparison. Tier 3 preferred.

You can request to use a homebrew class of your choice. All details must be freely available online and preferably not too complicated.

My own homebrew classes are available for use:

Arcane Seer, Blademage, Fire Master, Skeletal Avatarist, Stonemage, Dualblade

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Drow only.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

32 Point Buy. HP is max at 1st level, (half max on the die) + 2 + appropriate bonuses at each subsequent level.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Any alignment, but it will bear on your reason for being sent on this mission:

Good: You either hide your tendencies or are a known rebel, in which case you are being made to serve instead of being executed, and have agreed to it.

Neutral: You may be a malcontent, in which case you are being asked to prove your loyalty.

Evil: You see a chance to advance your status by helping to save the community. Also note: Don't engage in gratuitous or graphic violence.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

NO multiclassing.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players use the forum roller. The DM uses it too, but will sometimes make rolls secretly by other means.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Block inititiative: Initiative will be rolled only to see if any PCs act before the enemies. PCs can act in any order.

Combat may involve very simple maps or 'theater of the mind' (i.e. no map) because it's easier on the DM.

The Dodge feat gives a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC. No pre-game crafting. No Leadership feat. Shivering Touch and its lesser version offer a Fort save to negate. Banned psionic powers: Energy Stun, Psychic Reformation.

Use Rich Burlew's Diplomacy.

In general, don't expect social skills (Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy) to work wonders. Regardless of the roll, if an NPC wouldn't plausibly believe something or behave a certain way, then he won't. If it is plausible that he might, then the roll does matter. If you can't simulate a silver tongue with your own words, you should probably not try to play a PC who has one.

You can take up to 2 Flaws and 2 Traits. If you want to trade in a familiar for a feat, that counts as one of the Flaws (Loner).

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A short background and character description is appropriate. Briefly note any special enemies, allies, house affiliation, etc. but a long and detailed history is unlikely to come into play and is not appropriate. Also, write a couple of lines of IC dialogue by your character interacting with someone.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A combination.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Core, SRD, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, Completes, PHB2, spells on your class spell list which may be from other sources, Underdark, Drow of the Underdark, other sources by request (which can include homebrew)

Spoiler: Cave Gecko
    Show
    Cave Gecko, CR 4, N Large animal
    Init +8; Senses blindsight 60 ft., darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent
    AC 14, touch 9, flat-footed 14 (+5 natural, Ė1 size)
    hp 68 (8d8+32)
    Saves Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +4
    Weakness light blindness
    Move 40 ft.; climb 40 ft.
    Melee bite +11 (2d6+6)
    Str 23, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 6
    Base Atk +6; Grp +2
    Feats Endurance, Improved Initiative, Run
    Skills Balance +13, Climb +28, Hide +4 (+8 in stony areas), Listen +2, Spot +2
    Expert Climber (Ex) The unique physiology of gecko feet allows geckos to climb any surface, no matter how slick or sheer. In effect, cave geckos are treated as constantly being under a natural version of the spell spider climb. This ability also provides them with an additional +8 bonus on Climb checks, which stacks with their racial bonus.
    Skills: Cave geckos have a +8 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. They receive a +4 circumstance bonus to Hide in areas of natural stone. They can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-24 at 08:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Drow Against Midnight OOC

The discord link isn't an invitation. Direct channel links don't work if the person using it isn't already in the server.

Also, Tela will use Cyan, and the fluff is done.

Also also, anyone who wants them can have Tela cast the following long-term spells, with the assumption that they were cast pre-game:

Interplanar Telepathic Bond (and a few Permanency spells)
    Extended Allied Footsteps (27 days, 15 hours)
    Extended Greater Status (19 hours)
    Extended Misdirection, keyed to whatever you would like (I'll default to a small stone if unspecified) (19 hours)

The durations assume I cast them more or less right before we turned in for the night and that we had an uneventful eight hours rest and hour to prepare spells for the coming day. This may be a little off, but I'm not about to complain if they last an hour or two less since they were pre-game castings and thus essentially free.

EDIT: Hmm... You think maybe I should pick a darker shade of blue?
    Last edited by Debatra; 2019-10-20 at 04:10 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Great, thank you for running this.
    If you don't mind, Kyornor will speak in Navy. I'll download the Discord app when I when I get home.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Discord works on browsers if you'd prefer that. I'd recommend the app though, if for no other reason than convenience. (I can't even think of any significant differences unless you're on mobile.)
    Last edited by Debatra; 2019-10-20 at 04:29 PM.
    Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Tela will use Cyan, and the fluff is done.
    Hmm... You think maybe I should pick a darker shade of blue?
    Darker would be easier on the eyes.

Faazeran will speak in Bold Maroon.

Realized I hadn't stripped the skill points from the former Apprentice feat. I took 2 pts off Know Arcana to correct it.

Faazeran would accept the spells from Tela, and can cast extended mass mage armor on the group including our mounts. Speaking of which, are we taking them? If not I have some more gold to spend.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Suga for Kish's The Sunless Citadel
    Cendrik for J-H's Servants of the Thrallherd
    Semult for Kish's Wrath of the Righteous
    Faazeran for kinem's Drow Against Midnight

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's go with Dodger Blue then.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Invite link for the Discord:

https://discord.gg/gZvr7vv

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Jack will accept the telepathic bond, allied footsteps, status, and misdirection (keyed to the critter he summons with his Summon power, so he falsely detects as extraplanar).
    He doesn't need the mage armor since his plate gives a higher bonus.
    I am taking a gecko, for sure!

Speaking of the Summon ability: what monster would you deem acceptable that he has already had the little critter copy/turn into? A giant wasp is great at low level, but the Summon power is designed to scale up a bit. I can go with the wasp if anything else seems too powerful, but it will be difficult to pin anything down and get the wasp to kill it.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-20 at 09:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Mage Armor would still be useful for you vs incorporeal creatures.
    Misdirection target for me will be a copper piece that I'll drop on the way out.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Mage Armor would still be useful for you vs incorporeal creatures.
    Misdirection target for me will be a copper piece that I'll drop on the way out.
    Good point, I'll take it.
    Oh, and Jack will talk in crimson.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I know nothing about Land of Black Blood but Fazeran has high Knowlewdges esapecially Local. Could we get some info on it here or in IC please? If there is important preparation before going there (protective gear?) my char would probably know or the Matrons might make it known.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Theyíll give an info dump 😎

MW: For the Summon is a drider good for it?

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

A drider is perfect! Thanks.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Kyornor will take the spells (on a stone is fine) and the gecko mount.

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

Permission for the drider to have flame arrow instead of lightning bolt?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: OK on the flame arrow.

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

Yayyyy!
    I figured it would help keep my ranged damage up since I won't be taking advantage of ANY ranged feats (PBS, PS, rapid shot...) and I am trying to be a switch hitter.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-21 at 10:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

Sorry for taking so long! I'll have my first post up tonight.
    I got evicted and am just settling into a new location. Please forgive me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

No problem, getting evicted is an acceptable excuse for missing a day Good luck at your new location.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

We talked about pre-casting for the group. With the way the IC has started probably more legit to cast the spells after this meeting.

MinotaurWarblad. Even with mithral armor wouldn't you still have an armor penalty?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    We talked about pre-casting for the group. With the way the IC has started probably more legit to cast the spells after this meeting.

MinotaurWarblad. Even with mithral armor wouldn't you still have an armor penalty?
    My "Blood of William Black" class feature currently reduces my armor check penalty by 3.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-10-22 at 07:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"The Vanishing" is a way to deal with the possibility that a player drops out. It also is one way that a new PC might suddenly appear

It looks like the party is lacking in the healing department. I'll have the Vonnarcs give you a wand and maybe another item or two to help with that.

23. - Top - End - #23

Chimera

I can do out of combat healing fairly well actually, but some healing belts would be awesome!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: With so much homebrew involved itís hard to keep track. What healing can you do?
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-10-27 at 03:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I have some self-healing HP and abiliity damage in combat along with some magic items, but that's it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Closest thing Tela has to healing powers is +26 to UMD. Enough to auto-succeed with wands at least, and I have a good chance with most scrolls.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Faazeran has +19 on UMD so wands are no problem. Brought a healing belt, a wand of Lesser Vigor and two potions of Lesser Restore. The mount has a Collar of Healing (1/day heal 50).
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by kinem View Post
    MW: With so much homebrew involved itís hard to keep track. What healing can you do?
    Sorry, for explanation: Heal Life I allows me to spend 2 mana as a swift action to heal myself and all my allies within 10 feet for 2d4 HP (average 5). I have a maximum of 43 mana and regain 2 mana per minute, though I would definitely rather be spending my mana on other things. I grabbed it as a backup option for when we are out of healing or if it is the end of the day and I have mana left over.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MW: Iím not seeing Mana effects on the link I have for the class. Where is the write up for it?

30. - Top - End - #30

Chimera

It is at this link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=19

You just have to explore the spoilers a bit.
    Go to Class Features, then Will, then High level Physical powers.
    Heal Life is right after Berserk.