Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default [DnD3.5] After the Fall - OOC and Workshopping Thread

Welcome to the Company of the Rising Sun! Or what's left of it anyway...

So let's start circling the wagons.

First couple of orders of business:
    1. Say hi and introduce your character. Posting the Application is a good way to do that, but whatever makes sense to you.
    2. Ask any mechanical questions that you have unanswered (tonberryking, in particular, I think had a couple).
    3. We'll have a few in-game things to decide as a group. The first one is: how long has it been since the Mad Wyrm fell? I'm happy to run the game pretty much anywhere from one year to a generation later, but I didn't want to decide myself, because whatever we pick has implications for your character's ages. So let's talk about that first. And consider the ramifications. If it's, say, five years, many places will still be pretty ruined, and the tale of the Company will still be making its way around. Thirty years and everything is the new normal and your names will be legends and there'll be a whole generation of adventurers who grew up hearing about you.
    4. Have a peek at the Houserules, below.

My plan, such as it is, is to take the next couple of days and go over everyone's fluff and do some light workshopping. We might even do a couple of short RP scenes from your PC's pasts. We can do that while you finalize your crunch. If you want to develop some closer ties to the other PC's at this point, that's good stuff.

Once the fluff and crunch are done, we'll have a look at everyone's sheet and see if we need to do any balancing. As a general rule, I'd rather give more to balance rather than take away, but it depends a lot on the mix of power levels. I'm not super concerned with you how balance against the world, since I have complete control over that. I'm concerned that you roughly balance against each other and/or that everyone starts the game excited to be a part of it.

We'll be doing a little guided communal story-building before we 'start.' Just to go over what the Fall of the Wyrm looked like and what everyone did and might be remembered for.

If everyone is having fun, I might dig a little deeper into the character building. I really love this process and I have a lot of tools to do it. But we might be champing at the bit to get started by then, so we'll see what happens.

Spoiler: Houserules
    Show

MAGIC ITEMS
    You have the option to fluff any magic item as a permanent bonus instead of an object. Still costs the same, and you should more or less follow the rules on slots and whatnot, but if you want to be a cool Vow of Poverty guy, but the stupid game math makes you have gear, then it's fine with me if your magic amulet that you never take off is just a +5 to Con and not an amulet. This may (will) cause some rules weirdness(es) in some places, at some times. We'll handle them as they come up.

ASSETS AND LIABILITIES
    As legendary, epic heroes, you've been adventuring in some capacity for years and have probably attained (or retained) resources that aren't easily accounted for in terms of Feats and WBL. What if you want to be a Duke? Or have an airship? Or be loved and respected in your place of birth?

There are five: Status, Standing, Holdings, Networks, Lore. Each one can be either an Asset or a Liability, and tagged as either Major or Minor.

These aren't mechanical traits. They don't have dice and won't generally be expressed in numbers. They are to guide the story and give us a clearer look at how your character appears in the narrative. Which isn't to say they won't ever impact a dice roll. They probably will. But that's not their main purpose.

Status
    This is the PC's place in an official power structure. Government. Guild. Organization. Underworld. Nobility. Any kind of accepted, acknowledged title or role. As an Asset, this means some kind of rank or station. As a Liability, it means you are formally outlawed or exiled, or perhaps even hunted. Minor/Major describes either the intensity of the status and the size and importance of the organization.

Standing
    This isn't fame. You're all famous. The most famous heroes in all the world. This represents your actual standing a given community. Maybe you've been active in one country, helping out and doing good things. Or perhaps one group especially reveres (or reviles) your name. An Asset means you're loved. A Liability means... less so. Like Status, Minor/Major describes the intensity of your Standing as well as the size/importance of the place or group.

Holdings
    This is stuff. Your WBL is for magic items so we can maintain the math of the game. But if you want a castle, or a business, or an army, or a giant statue, or an airship built of you, this is the trait that describes that. A Minor could be a one pretty big thing (small castle, tower, ship) or a couple of smaller things (some boats, a small merchant business) and Major could be a much bigger thing or a pretty wide variety of things, either in terms of access or ownership. Property generally includes the means to maintain it. As a liability, this represents a terminal lack of stuff, or lack of access to stuff, of debts to people capable of collecting.

Networks
    This is folks, hands, feet, fingers in pies, little birds. It could be actual employed spies, or the practical result of good standing, or favours owed for years of service. Either way, this represents access to the goodwill of some identifiable group. Minor/Major represents how pervasive the network is and/or the value of help you have access to. As a Liability, this means you have groups of people actively working against you.

Lore
    This trait grants access to secret or important bodies of knowledge. This could be in-depth knowledge of a place, group or discipline. It could mean you own (or can access) one or more libraries or laboratories or some other source of knowledge. As a Liability, this would make the character unaware of something that they should know about.

----
    I've used lots of variations on this idea over the years, but this is the first time I'm doing it just like this. So maybe it'll be awesome, or maybe it'll just be boring and dumb. Who can say? If you can think of something I missed, please feel free to pitch it.

We'll be working together to decide exactly what these mean in the story, and for your character.

I think that's enough to get started.

Let's get started!
    Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, long may they reign.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [DnD3.5] After the Fall - OOC and Workshopping Thread

Glad to be joining you all here. I am looking forward to this game very much.

Here is the information about my character, to help people get to (re)know him. For the record, I usually prefer to speak in Medium Green.

Spoiler: Question Answers:
    Show

1. The "Elevator Pitch." Give me a quick, high-concept, high-energy description of the character you'd like to play. No more than 50 words. Some mechanical info is fine here (race/class, role), but builds aren't exciting. Stories are exciting. If I were a movie producer, how do you convince me to greenlight a series based on this character in the space of an elevator ride to the 15th floor?

Andrinor is the master of pure power. Priest and mage, he gained power over the elements. Then the dragon came. Power proved useless, and death came despite his might. He gave his life for it, and he never expected to regain it. Death was respite from failure. Then he rose.

2. A short backstory (no more than 500 words) on your life up to being recruited for the Company of the Rising Sun. What I'm interested in here is how you fit into the world. You were a person before you were a legend. You were born in a particular place, with a particular set of preconceptions and expectations, and then lived a life that challenges and/or affirms those preconceptions and expectations. What drove them to live this life? What did they gain? What did they lose? What are the running away from? What are they running toward?

Andrinor is from the Donshen Empire. He was a desert tribesman, living in the wilderness and moving with his family from oasis to oasis. His father was lowborn within the tribe, and was often the butt of the tribeís leaderís mockery. Andrinor decided as a boy to work to improve his station, as he felt humiliated whenever he saw his father being so downtrodden. He started to pray to Zoser along with the tribal priest, though at first the old man didnít want to teach an impoverished boy from an undistinguished bloodline. Eventually, though, the priest bowed before his devotion to study and decided to take him in as an acolyte. He learned to use divine magic, often using it to create food and water for the tribe whenever they had to camp away from an oasis. Seeing his potential, the tribeís wise woman was impressed with his work, and decided to train him as a mage as well, to create a weapon the tribe could use when needed.

It took some time for the boy to realise that he was being used, and even though it was for the benefit of a tribe that had reviled his family, he took to the training well. He became an elemental mage as well as a priest in quite quick time. But then when his training ended, he ended up being abused almost as much by the tribe as his father had been, though in a different way. He was used as a tool whenever his tribe came into conflict with outsiders, charming or killing them as needed for the tribeís needs. He was never as respected as he should have been, though, given his station. And that was due, as always, to his bloodline. The one lesson that he learned above all others was that he could never escape the curse of his heritage.

He came to despise his own family for their poor station, and after being mocked one day by the chieftain, he attacked his own father. When the tribe responded to this near-patricide, he attacked the whole tribe in a fit of pent up rage at the whole tribe. He killed everyone except his own family, but when he calmed down his own family turned their backs on him and cast him out. He left for the capital city, but found he could not settle in there, nor even understand the city dwellers.

So he left and became the scourge of the desert, travelling and pillaging the caravans of city dwellers and even the other tribes who passed through what he considered his desert. He became known as the Desert Scourge. He was approached by the Dusty Conclave and became a part of their family, where he finally had respect. He spread the waste beyond the desert, and slowly started to craft his own canopic jars to hold his spirit upon death. When the dragon came, he was the mightiest and joined the Company of the Rising Sun.

3. Quick answers to as many of the following as you wish. A sentence or two is fine.

Tell me about your people! The Donshen Empire is a large, patchwork confederacy of semi-independent states. So it's a very cosmopolitan place where almost any sort of person can be found. And there are also 'uncivilized' lands outside of the Empire's borders. What are things like where you're from? How are you like, or not like, those people? Are you singular in your homebrewed class? Or is that just how your people roll?
    The Ang-Shou Tribesmen are similar to the bedouin, living in tents and moving from oasis to oasis, always moving and trying to trade what they can with the city-dwellers. They are raiders by nature, since there is nothing to grow or mine out in the desert. The do sometimes buy raw goods such as fabric, and make their own goods such as carpets and tapestries. But they are not trusted by those outside of their tribes, and so raiding caravans or occasionally banding together to raid small towns can be essential for them to survive. The city-dwellers are nothing like them, being civilised and stationary, and also living in great splendour, unlike the poor tribesmen. This creates great resentment in the tribes, and they get great pleasure in raiding the caravans due to this. Though they sometimes fight other tribes, they also band together, bound by ancient ties of blood, which are extremely important to the tribesmen. There are few spellcasters in a tribe, but usually there is a single priest and a single mage with them, and if a tribe lacks one, they might try to kidnap one to try to convince them to serve with the tribe. They can be kidnapped from either another tribe or if they are present in a raided village or caravan, then they are especially favoured as gifts from the gods.
    Why were you recruited for the Company of the Rising Sun? What was it that made the Alliance of the Last Times choose you to gain access to a powerful artifact, bargain with a God, and make battle with a seemingly-invincible extra-planar being?
    Andrinor was selected because of his reputation. Although he was clearly not good, few among the tribes were considered good by city-dwellers. And his power allowed him to dominate a large swathe of desert. The Alliance felt it needed representation from the tribes who controlled such a large area in between the city states, and he was the mightiest of the tribesmen. He was considered a weapon by the Alliance, so what he had always hated the most, being considered purely as a tool useful for his skills, had come back to haunt him yet again. His opinion was not truly valued, as he was considered something of a savage, but they did convince him, if condescendingly, to join them as a portable spellthrower. He resented this greatly, but felt that the dragon was a great enough threat to his own dominance of the wastes that he would join them.
    What did you give Tiamat in the Exchange? The specific bargain was something you love most for something she loves most ("We will weep together."), so whatever you sacrificed, it should be something deeply important to your character, something without which you are less than you were.
    Andrinor sacrificed his blood, basically giving his life at the pinnacle of the battle. He was saved, but not as he would want it. His body was taken by the Dusty Conclave, and his organs were put into canopic jars and his blood drained. He was entombed, and did not rise up again until such time as he was needed once again by Tiamat. A contingency effect caused him to rise from his dead state and he rose as a dry lich, even more powerful than he had been in life, but now lacking his blood that was so important when he was alive.
    Would you have volunteered to hide one of the pieces of the artifact? If so, where would you hide such a thing so that no one could ever find it?
    Had he survived the battle, he would have volunteered to hide a piece of the artifact. The Dusty Conclave took the piece of the artifact and hid it along with Andrinor's canopic jars, which were so precious when he was to rise once more. They were buried deep beneath the sands of the desert, in a buried pyramid filled with traps and unthinking undead creatures they had created.
    What have you been up to since the Mad Wyrm fell? She wrecked a LOT of things, and in the wake of her fall, there would have been a lot of instability and misery. And you're a famous, respected, revered hero with everyone looking to see what you do. What were your goals? What did you do? How well did it work out?
    Andrinor has been dead this whole time, though his spirit gets called upon occasionally by the Dusty Conclave, due to his wisdom and intelligence. He makes a good advisor for the living members of the Conclave. And through his advice, he has managed to continue to dominate the desert even from beyond the grave. His reputation lives on, and people still think that he is alive, and that he is gathering the armies of the tribes together for some unknown reason. He is slowly actually doing this, but he has not determined what they should be used for, other than to defend the wastes from any rise of a threat as great as the dragon.
    What ties you down? The 'nomadic murderhobo' is a cliche created by the structure of long-term games. We don't have that problem. What are your responsibilities? Social connections? Family? Living situation? If you go back to war, what are you leaving behind?
    As he rose from the death at the call of the contingency effect and at the needs of the Conclave who summoned him on behalf of the Company, he has gathered in hand the control over the tribes. He is deeply tied to the tribes, though he knows that they do not love him due to his lower station. This is largely in his own imagination, as they respect his power more than his bloodline detracts from it. He keeps an eye on his family from afar, but he regretfully respects their banishment of him, so he has not made actual contact with them in years. He has calmed down from the rage he used to feel at their humiliations, but he does not love them or respect them. But the familial ties he feels for them means that he uses the tribes he does control to protect them and guide them away from danger. He unites the tribes through his magic from time to time, acting as their leader so that he can coordinate attacks on the civilised peoples.
    The Company was originally nine or ten heroes and some support. Many of them have not answered the summons. Tell me someone who's missing and why they haven't come. Tell me what that loss means to you personally.
    Cyron the bard is not with the party any more. He was killed while trying to raid a town under Andrinor's guidance. He had tried to use the bard as a charismatic leader for the tribes, but the man was too foolhardy to save himself. He was killed by a druid in a village, who was shapechanged into a roc. It turns out that no bardic magic was capable of allowing survival of a drop from a thousand feet. The loss hit Andrinor moderately hard, because he was unable to foresee the loss of his companion under his guidance. He feels little loss for the man personally, because as an undead he feels little emotion, but he feels guilt for the loss of the man he fought beside.

As for how long ago the Wyrm fell, it makes little difference to me. Because of my background, my character Andrinor has been dead and appearing only as a spirit since then. So it isn't like he ages or anything. So a year or a generation, it all works fine for me.

I also don't have any mechanical questions, since my sheet is complete. Only thing I am considering is dropping DMM and Persist Spell feats for something else. I am not sure if I will, since I won't be abusing the feat pair by using Divine Might or similar. But I know it has a reputation as a powerful pair.

As far as the house rules, I envisage the following for Andrinor:
    Status: Major Liability (He is a criminal mastermind among the civilised peoples)
    Standing: Minor Asset (Good reputation among the desert tribes)
    Holdings: Minor Asset (His sunken pyramid where he is entombed)
    Networks: Minor Liability (Hard to build networks when dead, though he does have magical contact with the desert tribes)
    Lore: Major Asset (He is a powerful mage and cleric, so he has access to a wide variety of knowledge sources)
    Last edited by paradox26; 2020-05-05 at 09:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I am so thankful to come aboard!

The 50: Ushio was a ninja sorcerer and tactician (who was also winning trying to win the heart of a princess along the journey) He brashly sacrificed his "humanity" and was turned into a minotaur (Tiamat's choice, "a dumb ox") costing him half his spell casting abilities, personal complications and his heroic legacy.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2193090

Spoiler: Namin
    Show
    Ushio came from a river riddled nation known as Namin (it is one of ...two or three nations that reflect a fantasy Japanese culture) that was until a generation ago an isolationist matriarchy with a ruling theocratic body of clerics/shugenja/divine etc. Names, titles and status is inherited through the mother's side of the family but anyone of any gender is welcome to be whatever the hell they want to within reason. They worship a five-member pantheon of elemental deities (Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Void, with a handful of metal-related demi gods who are virtue related aspects.) There are four duchies with the capitol serving as the fifth and the actual ruler is referred to as The Abbess. For a nation that wanted everybody else to stay away, they were relatively progressive in many other respects, using a lot of divine magic to shape their holdings. Arcane magic is held in a lesser, but still respected esteem, and is--as Ushio was proof of this-- usually associated with espionage and warfare. A war with two of their neighbors (One of which was Kresh) centuries ago led to them closing all their borders and defending them viciously ever since, and the very few nationals who left seldom returned.

A barrage of natural disasters and ultimately the Mad Dragon disaster led to them begrudgingly reopening their borders to their non Kresh neighbors (on a limited basis-- you land in one or three specific ports and the more inland places are seasonally open to foreigners) and acknowledging the rest of the world existed. Their racial make up is mostly humans, gnomes, and aquatic elves.

The ninja clan Ushio owed fealty to, the Dark Clouds is actually a novel organization--there was never an organized shinobi coalition before; noble families, smugglers and others who had need to be sneaky developed their own traditions until a ninja master named Gobei unified them in the wake of a terrible tsunami that left many displaced and a common good for the nation was laid bare. The Mad Dragon, once again, is responsible for solidifying the "clan" that now plays a political role in Namin... Of course, given the circumstances of disaster upon disaster, their ranks were filled with anyone they could grab...

Spoiler: Ushio's Saga
    Show

Ushio started with nothing, a nobody and ended with nothing, a monster.

He was a wily bastard of a street urchin growing up. Nothing but his wits and budding arcane powers. He was scouted by a ninja (referred only as Master Crab,) for one sole reason: Crab's son was lazy; taking a nobody like Ushio off the streets and training him was enough to galvanize his own son. Ushio, nonetheless worked for every opportunity he could carve out and in the years leading up to the Alliance, the nation of Namin sent their most expendable (ninja) who in turn sent their most expendable (Ushio) as the vanguard while their divine casters stayed at home.

Ushio had everything to gain. He put everything into building up friendships, allies, put his life on the line constantly, and learned all he could of the outside world to his advantage. He became a ninja legend known as Sun Shadow for his brazen bravery. His motivations were self-serving, but at some point he met and fell in love with an archer Princess from one of the other nations. Unlike him, she was fighting to save lives, not better her own. Ushio then tried to become a better person as well as a ninja in hopes of winning her over. Again and again. Sadly...not knowing his love was (mostly) one sided, when asked to sacrifice something, Ushio concluded he couldn't very well sacrifice her and his wits failed him. He didn't know what to give up. Having seen many more races and all the rest of the world he once more acted rashly and put his humanity on the table. He though he could live life as some other humanoid just as easily--look how far he'd gotten as a measly human.

...Tiamat had other ideas...

To the rest of the world, Sun Shadow died leading into the final confrontation. The other members of the Rising Sun company, The Dark Cloud clan, and the princess Ushio pursued all know what really happened to him; he paid for his rash hubris and was turned into a minotaur. He thought he could cope. He thought it would work out, especially after giving one of the Dragon heads (the Blue one) to his clan for safe keeping. He was wrong. He tried to continue his relations with the princess, who let him down none too gently. She returned to her 'world,' and Ushio had lost his with the end of the war.

Ushio wandered off in despair. And yet... enough of his attempts to better himself were genuine. Though many rebuilding places turned him out, some were desperate enough to hire him as a laborer. He's been drifting, working on literal reconstruction of the nations, or at the very least he resorts to wood cutting. He started off worse than this... he just needs time to think. Even though thoughts and magic come slower, sooner or later he'll figure out something. ...Eventually.

Spoiler: Quick Questions Still Unanswered ...Answered:
    Show

Why were you recruited for the Company of the Rising Sun? What was it that made the Alliance of the Last Times choose you to gain access to a powerful artifact, bargain with a God, and make battle with a seemingly-invincible extra-planar being?

Ushio was originally an expendable ninja who was given orders vague enough for him to bend and he kept taking on daring missions again and again to get the rest of the Company/Alliance's attention and he never stopped. He was something of a daredevil about it because he had nothing to lose and everything to gain as he saw it.

(This is also how Ushio is so different from your average normally reserved Namin-jin citizen: He. Dared. At everything.)

When thinking about his sacrifice, he was supposed to give up what was most precious to him ("We will weep together"). So think about why Ushio's humanity, his human-ness, was his most precious thing. Was it his looks? His feeling of belonging? His ability to pass through life unseen/unremarked, his ability to be praised and recognized by his people?

Ushio figured it came down to two things; otherwise he'd have given up an arm. The first option was the princess and by his own sense of morals he couldn't give her up because it would be a betrayal. His "humanity", then, was the image of himself he'd created. The Mysterious, Handsome, Cunning, Daring, Arcane Master Ninja Sun Shadow who'd risen from nothing into becoming a dragon-fighting beloved folk hero. Only now he's a dumb, brutish ox. Nobody will ever believe he used to be this great ninja. Anybody could become a ninja through training; Ushio's magic/panache was all his own and so tied to his priceless self image, he realized it's what had to be given. (See below.)

What ties you down? The 'nomadic murderhobo' is a cliche created by the structure of long-term games. We don't have that problem. What are your responsibilities? Social connections? Family? Living situation? If you go back to war, what are you leaving behind?

While technically Ushio is a hobo with a sword, he is going around seeking anyplace that would accept him to let him do some good. ANY good. ...And also to stay as far away from the Blue Dragon's Head as possible, so he DID technically self-exile himself from Namin. HOWEVER... He may have sacrificed who he was, but that doesn't mean he wants people to recognize him for it. He's so ashamed of what he's become he became a hobo just to travel far away from the hubs Sun Shadow was active in, thinking he'll still do good elsewhere. However, his obligations will force him to bear his shame and he'll still answer the call... even if he tries to Lie and say he's "Sun Shadow's Disciple" to save face...

The Company was originally nine or ten heroes and some support. Many of them have not answered the summons. Tell me someone who's missing and why they haven't come. Tell me what that loss means to you personally.

Here's where it gets ugly: Princess Almydon was an archer among the company who ultimately rejected Ushio's brash advances and braggart ways (though ironically this did make him try to be better.) She ain't coming back; she's now a Queen and Queens have nations to run and Ushio's heart is still in pieces over her rejection because he realized she rejected him over his heart, not because he became a bull.

As for when this happens, I would hope no more than 5-10 years have passed. Ushio's already got penalties from the species change; I don't want to figure out what/when aging penalties come into play for minotaurs. [Addendum: Apparently Minotaurs live for 150 years or so (holy crap.) There could be more of a time skip and Ushio ironically is still in the prime of his new life.) He probably doesn't feel at home among other monstrous races though that may also depend on if there are any monstrous settlements that just want to build log cabins and go fishing rather than pillage and terrorize their human neighbors. It would be interesting if that comes up, but he's an island of a man at this point...

Also, mechanics questions:
    • Can Whirling Blade be used as part of a sneak attack? Say he's invisible and throws his sword through a doorway at a line of badguys--would the spell's attack also deal sneak attack damage?
    • Can a ring of featherfall be suppressed until the wearer wants it to activate? Ushio's a jumping machine but landing may be trickier if it goes off too soon.
    • As a minotaur, he has hooves for feet. Can magic items for the feet slot be converted into anklets or the like? Even Elvenkind boots or what have you?

• EDIT: With, or without his spell storing weapons, can you add sneak attack to spells that require an attack roll? (That aren't Whirling Blade as it has its own question) Even if it's ranged touch/ranged in general, most of his spells don't have all that much range to them, so it would be within 30 feet easily.
      (this one was answered elsewhere, n/m)
    • EDIT #2: Can two wonderous items be combined into one? I wanted to combine the Bracers of Armor with Bracers of Arcane Freedom.
    • EDIT #3: Can we assume the amulet of natural armor was 'absorbed' into Ushio's new form? And if so, does that free up the neck slot?

Spoiler: Assets and Liabilities
    Show

Status
    Minor Liability
    He's a minotaur. A monster. He is, however, NOT officially exiled form his ninja clan; it's more self imposed and he is still considered a tennuous/honorary member.
    Standing
    Minor Liability
    The Mythical Ninja Sun Shadow was only known to be an egotistical jackass (or a big bull) to a close few. The legacy does not match what he's become, and worse, Ushio doesn't feel like fighting back against angry mobs or fearful citizens all that much, but some people may not care because he really is helpful as a porter, woodcutter, grunt worker, etc. He has been literally helping rebuild, even if he's not allowed to stay afterward.

Holdings
    Major Liability.
    Sure the Dark Cloud clan was nice enough to permanently make his katana large so he could hang onto it (god, he worked so hard to earn that damn thing even now he would never sell it) but at most he earns a meal and prison grade lodgings for his efforts on the regular.

Networks
    Major Asset
    However, amongst the shadows of the world, Ushio can if necessary call in favors or act "on behalf" of Sun Shadow. He (as in his human self) is off doing all sorts of ninja things so he sent his disciple insteand. Ushio knows a few tricks to "prove" he's acting on behalf of the great ninja, and even branded his arm witha sigil spies would recognize. Has access to information networks more than anything else but he *could* call in some favors if his hands were forced.

Lore
    Minor Asset. See above. He doesn't own a library but he retains alot of memories about what he read and studied back in the day, and may have literal access to libraries using the above asset.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-05-06 at 09:20 AM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've yet to make a name for either the character or the nation cause I suck with those, but I'll throw my concept out there. We can work on ironing him out as we go.

Basic summary; He is the king of a Nation, a magical warrior blessed by the unseen bits of the sky. He's a bit temperamental and what some may call edgy. Tiamut took his eyesight in the deal, in irony of his powers of darkness and to spite his connection to the heavens (and by this I mean space).

As a young man he was an accomplished warrior, only really caring for testing his own limits. However his exploits earned him a position in the Royal Knight's of his kingdom.

As he fought for King and Kingdom he continued to earn honors and ranking. This kind of bothered him, as he really didn't want the responsibility. However his pride still made him take his role seriously.

On day he was fighting with the general of an army from a foreign land, at a time before he was in the king's personal elite guard or even a general himself. The man had a finely crafted blade rumored to be made out of a material created by the heavens themselves. Said blade deftly slipped passed his defenses and stabbed him in the chest, almost getting him I the heart. Bleeding out, still he fought, long enough for what ever else was going on to cause the general to retreat. While he was left to die, the blade had actually resonated with his body, causing it to begin to mutate.

This gave him unusual powers, aside from those he had already developed through training. Most notably, this gave him the ability to materialize armor around his body that seemed to be made out of the same material that the blade was made of. It also gave him better control of the darkness. This made people fear him, more than they already did, but he gave no reason for actual concern and became the loyal bodyguard of the current king.

The day came of the king's death, the day some brazen assassins of unknown origin showed up in the palace. They managed to kill all guards excpet him and one other. After some political bs, he found himself decided to be the next king (blah blah he was dependable, blah blah he's intimidating). So he found himself on a position he didn't want, but he wasn't about to look weak in front of anyone. So he had been the rule for a while before the dragon issue, and he only participated because defense of the nation was his top priority.

As far also time I guess 10 years? Unless we want sooner?

Spoiler: Quick Questions
    Show

Tell me about your people! The Donshen Empire is a large, patchwork confederacy of semi-independent states. So it's a very cosmopolitan place where almost any sort of person can be found. And there are also 'uncivilized' lands outside of the Empire's borders. What are things like where you're from? How are you like, or not like, those people? Are you singular in your homebrewed class? Or is that just how your people roll?

This Kingdom is pretty average, except being a bit on the he defensive due to certian other nations continued hostilities. Mining seems to be the main resource of the land. Dark Knights aren't so common, and they tend to be loners that have came into power themselves. Also they aren't even considered dark knights as their powers tend to seem to be the result of different practices. Mystic Fencers and Arcane Archers alike are a bit common, though most tend to keep martial and magic training separate. There seem to be no Starlite Starkin in the nation, but he has turned many people int Dark Starkin as a reward or to bolster his forces.

As one of the world's most venerable warriors it was an easy choice.

What did you give Tiamat in the Exchange? The specific bargain was something you love most for something she loves most ("We will weep together."), so whatever you sacrificed, it should be something deeply important to your character, something without which you are less than you were.

His sight. As one who wields darkness it is irony, as one that is drawn to the stars it is a curse.

Would you have volunteered to hide one of the pieces of the artifact? If so, where would you hide such a thing so that no one could ever find it?

Yes, in his castle because @#$_ anyone who wants it, they while have to go through him.

What have you been up to since the Mad Wyrm fell? She wrecked a LOT of things, and in the wake of her fall, there would have been a lot of instability and misery. And you're a famous, respected, revered hero with everyone looking to see what you do. What were your goals? What did you do? How well did it work out?

Overseeing the reconstruction of the damage of the kingdom, keeping up morale. Seems to be working, people in the kingdom seem to respect him and are not fearful like they used to be. His ability to grant power is still a bit concerning but people are willing

But he is very much a muderhobo, he just kills within reason and is bound to his kingdom. He has no family outside his parents and perhaps some cousins and uncles. More specifically he has no spouse or children. His purpose is to see to the survival and growth of his kingdom, as well as still trying to push his own skill. He is a warrior through and through, but he is not shortsighted and at least has average wisdom as a king.

Alarak, that sniveling rogue. He claimed to be a warrior at heart, but he couldn't win a fight without underhanded tactics. He did wind up in The Company though so perhaps he hand some merit after all. Lose? None... Well maybe a literal meat shield would come in handy for some of the weaker folks.

Show

Status
    Major Asset
    He's the king, baby!

Standing
    Major Asset
    He's an effective king and liked (not loved) by his people.
    Major Liability
    He's a effective cold blood killer and the king of a land that is wanted by at least one other country.

Holdings
    Major Asset
    A castle, personal airship, access to just about anything in own country.

Networks
    Major Asset
    He has all the help of the kingdom, plus his designated jesters.
    Major Liability
    Remember people want him dead or at least out the way

Lore
    Minor Asset
    There's really not much lore about his country, save for a few things. However he can access what is there.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Skybound Faye / Faye, the Broken Wing, who talks in maroon and somehow made it into the game against some real fierce competition. Hi everyone!

The elevator pitch, her backstory, and the Q&A can be found on her sheet.
    Spoiler: A rough summary
    Show
    A former dragoon that once had her home destroyed during a local struggle for dominance amongst dragons, Faye became the first dragoon, using her freakish ability for gigantic leaps defying what should be humanly possible to use her spear to devastating effect, acting to keep dragons (and other powerful creatures and individuals) who want to have their way with humanity in check (or end them outright). Sacrificed her legs and thus also her values when dealing with Tiamat (and ending her dream of touching the sky out of her own power), leaving her permanently crippled, living mostly alone in the village of dragonhunters she had joined during her dragoon days. Over the course of the years since then, she started to fall out of favor with the dragonhunters, who cared more about Faye having betrayed her values (and carrying the psychic taint of the Mad Wyrm) than having stopped the Mad Wyrm, increasingly isolating her and using her name, fame, and deeds for their own gain, hiring out "dragoons" (those Faye started training as dragoons, but not having had the time to finish the training of any of them and seemingly none having the true potential) for horrendous sums in the chaotic time after the Mad Wyrm's fall. Becoming frustrated with her situation, Faye regained her ability to walk through sheer strength of will and tenacity, denounced the dragonhunters, cut ties with them in a rather unmistakable fashion, and answered the summons, trying to figure out if she still has a place in the world even without her talents, and perhaps a new dream to follow.

Spoiler: Mechanics questions
    Show
    Does the Savvy Rogue feat (improves rogue special abilities) apply to slippery mind granted by Glorious Madness?

Can an enemy be "fearlocked" with demoralizing + Imperious Command by using it every round to cower the opponent (if Faye manages to win the contested roll each time and the enemy isn't immune to fear)?

Does Improved Buckler Defense work with using a buckler while wielding a two-handed weapon? I believe the feat only explicitly names two-weapon fighting for retaining buckler AC bonus, but given the track record of editing in 3.5 and using a buckler with a two-handed weapon basically being the same set of rules as for TWF (see armor entry of the buckler), it is murky to me whether the two-handed application was simply forgotten when the feat was written.

I tried to avoid immediate action/out of turn effects where possible because they just don't work very well in PbP, but I did end up with a few (Shield Ally, Improbable Luck rerolls, Defensive Roll, Anklets of Translocation, though the last one can also work fine as a swift action). How should I handle those?

As for the time skip, my current assumption has been 10 years. Since there are no age bonuses and penalties, I'm fine with a fairly wide range. Less than 10 years does not change all that much for Faye (her becoming frustrated and breaking away from the dragonhunters just happens earlier, along with her being able to regain her ability to walk, albeit slowly so), longer would mean Faye has broken away from her second home a while ago and has been unintentionally building a new reputation, given she can no longer do what she is famous for, but still being a force to be reckoned with in a different way.

Show
    Standing Dragonhunters of Tragu's Defiance (Minor Liability)
    Faye has never been involved in any grand organizations or nations. And with how the dragonhunters used her name and spat in her face, she told them exactly what she thinks about them, beat their best "dragoon" into the ground with her bare fists when she decided to taunt Faye as she was about to leave to answer the summons, and denounced them as being greedy, two-faced, spineless bastards. Since that makes them look rather bad, what with them having made a killing off of Faye's name and deeds without her knowing (until recently), the dragonhunters are not very happy with Faye, though there may or may not be a few among them who may feel "you know, she kind of has a point" and most likely get bullied into submission because of it.

Holdings Homeless (Minor Liability)
    Faye never really had or wanted that much for herself, having her own little house near Tragu's Defiance. After her breaking away from the dragonhunters, she effectively left what little she had behind, even publicly breaking her legendary spear in disgust over what they have turned the image of the dragoon into. So effectively, she is homeless. Everything she owns, she is carrying with her. The reason why this is only a minor liability is that she still has thousands of gold pieces worth of valuables, which were her funds for whatever equipment she may need, and with that sort of money, there is little doubt about being able to pay for her meals and a place to sleep until the end of her days, especially with her not having high standards in those regards. That and if everything else failed, she could probably start a career as a bard.

Network Latent Threat (Minor Liability)
    Faye being the wildcard that she is, various governments having been trying to keep tabs on her. And so did various monsters, first amongst those being chromatic dragons, who naturally managed to get targeted by Faye the most due to their schemes (or outright terrorization and destruction). Having been mostly inactive the past years has lessened the potential threat she poses (along with her sacrifice taking away her most dangerous ability), but her sacrifice also showed how far she is willing to go to protect humanity.

"Network" No One Like Faye (Supermajor Asset)
    Unbeknownst to Faye, the world sees her as a living, breathing symbol of hope, even beyond what she did as part of the Company. People still sing her songs when the will to go on threatens to falter, still share tales of her deeds, big and small, to inspire one another to rise up for a brighter future and aid one another, regardless of nation, race, or allegiance. And they know Faye does not feel they owe her anything, never having wanted wealth, titles, retainers, or the favor of kings or mystical beings or even the gods. There is simply something about her and all she did that leaves few indifferent, no matter how lowly and mundane or otherworldly and unfathomable, even those among her enemies whose convictions are firm and will make them oppose Faye with all their might in service for their cause.

I have tagged a few things on Faye's sheet as [non-item] to show what is pretty much just a constant effect. Crunch is pretty much done, with only the lingering mechanical questions above and trying to decide whether to graft the Quicksilver Boots onto her boots as well for some free movement. Though I guess a powerless ioun stone (all it does is orbit) with an everburning torch effect on it might be good, so Faye isn't just blind when it's dark. 25gp for the ioun stone, 110gp for the everburning torch effect?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-05-08 at 12:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler: Application details
    Show
    Ok, I'm definitely interested in this game. Preliminary idea is a Red Dragon, because Tiamat doesn't trust hairless apes to slay any dragon without someone keeping an eye on them to ensure that it's done according to her wishes.

Homebrew Requests-

Oslecamo Red Dragon Progression
    Scion of Ashardalon PrC (While it's dual progression, it is only for Warlock/Dragonfire Adept. I like it because I can then take all the invocations from both lists that I think would fit.)
    Speaking of invocations, how would these Draconic Invocations for warlocks strike you? (Not the Blast Shape invocations, though. Thanks to above PrC, I wouldn't be able to use them anyway.)
    The Feats Dragon Path and Hoard from here.

Spoiler: Application Details-
    Show

1. The "Elevator Pitch." Give me a quick, high-concept, high-energy description of the character you'd like to play. No more than 50 words. Some mechanical info is fine here (race/class, role), but builds aren't exciting. Stories are exciting. If I were a movie producer, how do you convince me to greenlight a series based on this character in the space of an elevator ride to the 15th floor?

One of the last Red Dragons in existence is entrusted with part of an artifact of shattering power, coming to full terms with the fact that he is one of the last of his kind, and trying to not only process that, but also slowly finding common cause with the hairless apes he blames for the deaths of his kin. Jirvurrat is tired of being angry, and apathetic towards the future. Hope can be a dangerous gift to such a being.

2. A short backstory (no more than 500 words) on your life up to being recruited for the Company of the Rising Sun. What I'm interested in here is how you fit into the world. You were a person before you were a legend. You were born in a particular place, with a particular set of preconceptions and expectations, and then lived a life that challenges and/or affirms those preconceptions and expectations. What drove them to live this life? What did they gain? What did they lose? What are the running away from? What are they running toward?

Jirvurrat has been around a long time. If the Mages of Khresh hadn't summoned the Mad Wyrm, he would have been perfectly content to remain in his liar, occasionally feasting on the few adventuring parties foolish enough to challenge him in his lair. Once he tried to raid an actual kingdom, one of the human ones. Didn't get much that time, unfortunately. Finally, he had the realization that if he closed up his lair and masqueraded as an adventurer, he could keep enough riches to have a very large hoard. So he manufactured a background (easy enough to do, if no humans live in that region), disguised himself as an inveterate wanderer and adventured for a while. Unfortunately, he didn't manage to get riches so much as fall in with the wrong band and go dragon hunting. Chromatic dragon hunting, which made it even worse. Luckily, their first target was Kirannantisantithis, a female red dragon the same age as he. So naturally, he turned on the group and ate them and wooed his now wife rather ineffectively.

Of course, when the Goddess of Evil Dragons comes along and tells you you're gonna do something, either you do it, or you get eaten.

3. Quick answers to as many of the following as you wish. A sentence or two is fine.

Tell me about your people! The Donshen Empire is a large, patchwork confederacy of semi-independent states. So it's a very cosmopolitan place where almost any sort of person can be found. And there are also 'uncivilized' lands outside of the Empire's borders. What are things like where you're from? How are you like, or not like, those people? Are you singular in your homebrewed class? Or is that just how your people roll? Far from the borders of Khresh, in the Avadi Mountains, lies the lair of the red dragon Jirvurrat, carved into a volcano that still spews lava every which way. The steam clouds as the lava fields roll into the sea are spectacular, but the only one who ever watches them now is the wyrm that some brave souls refer to as 'the Hermit Dragon'. It is a desolate land of rock and dried out scrub brush for miles, abutting a series of sheer cliffs behind a mountain range often referred to as 'the Edge of the World'.

Why were you recruited for the Company of the Rising Sun? What was it that made the Alliance of the Last Times choose you to gain access to a powerful artifact, bargain with a God, and make battle with a seemingly-invincible extra-planar being? Jirvurrat's rage at his family's death at the claws of the Mad Wyrm basically incensed him to the point of him forcing himself into the Alliance. I could definitely see being angry enough to want him killed properly this time. (So basically, instead of why the Council would want to recruit him, Jirvurrat would force them to accept him. After all, if a massive dragon lands and says he wants in on the quest to kill the Mad Wyrm, or he'll start eating your alternatives, I imagine the Alliance would quickly cave on that front....lol)

His family. His wife had died after the Mad Wyrm killed her, and his children died never knowing their father. Unlike all the other lives lost, Tiamat demanded their souls in the Exchange. When he tried to bargain with her, she simply asked him "What else do you possibly possess that you value as highly?"

Yes. It's in the bottom of his hoard, buried under a literal ton of gold coin. Jirvurrat sleeps on that pile, and swears it's messed up his spine.

Trying to come to terms with his grief, the realization that Tiamat doesn't give a **** about him beyond what he can do for her, and how utterly alone he is. Jirvurrat is honestly debating whether or not to actually try to talk to a gold dragon about the situation. He unconsciously craves social interaction, but is fighting the impulse with everything he has. Along with all the other problems in his life, he is now also debating dracolichdom, if only so the entire species sticks around as a last gasp. Mostly? He's grieving on a pile of gold coins that had beggared a nation or two.

Lair and family. With his wife and eggs annihilated, all he has is his lair and his hoard. He does have a tribe of kobolds nearby that occasionally asks to trade with him, but they just remind him of the children he lost, so Jirvurrat keeps the meetings as short as possible. Mostly, he just monitors his hoard.

Atalar the Hunter, Dragon Terror. He finally fell, not against the wrong dragon, but to a bout of the shakes that resisted healing. Atalar having given Jirvurrat the scar above his eyebrow, he feels....cheated that the ape closest to being considered worthy of peerdom to him died in bed, coughing his lungs out, instead of at his claws.

I'll start trying to finish Jirvuurat up this week, since I got selected to be here...lol

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

...Is that everybody? (Also, updated my inital post with more questions...)
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #8

I believe that is everyone!

One random note: someone mentioned worrying about aging penalties, but there aren't any. You can make your character as old as you want, there won't be any changes in stats. So how long it's been since the Fall is a purely narrative decision.

And it seems 10 years or so is the popular choice. So let's go with that. So this means that the ravages of the Mad Wyrm and the story of her defeat are still pretty fresh in everyone's minds. Some places are still pretty ruined. There are some places where the psionic insanity business is still a problem. And the post-Wyrn political situation is shaky: there are patches of relative stability, but it hasn't been that way for very long. And there are probably places that are still chaos.

Ushio's questions:
    Can Whirling Blade be used as part of a sneak attack? Say he's invisible and throws his sword through a doorway at a line of badguys--would the spell's attack also deal sneak attack damage?
    -Yes, I think that makes sense.

Can a ring of featherfall be suppressed until the wearer wants it to activate? Ushio's a jumping machine but landing may be trickier if it goes off too soon.
    -That seems fine as well. Be warned, if you ever forget to tell me you activate it, you're totally going splat.

As a minotaur, he has hooves for feet. Can magic items for the feet slot be converted into anklets or the like? Even Elvenkind boots or what have you?
    -For sure. This sort of thing is an automatic yes for anyone with non-standard anatomy.

Can two wonderous items be combined into one? I wanted to combine the Bracers of Armor with Bracers of Arcane Freedom.
    -I think the MIC basically says this is how things work for everyone. If you add non-similar effects, there would be an upcharge, but as a rule, this is fine, especially when you're adding an interesting effect to one of the 'boring' but necessary ones.

Can we assume the amulet of natural armor was 'absorbed' into Ushio's new form? And if so, does that free up the neck slot?
    -Yes. I said above that any item can be fluffed as a permanent bonus instead. So, I guess technically what you're doing here is adding the Natural Armour to another neck-slot item, and fluffing one of the effects as a permanent bonus.

Faye
    Ioun Stone + Continual Flame = I would call that 1000gp. Eyeballed based on other Ioun stones with constant use of 1st or 2nd level spells.

Assets and Liabilities
    I missed typing this part in my original post, but my intent was for everyone to choose between 1 and 4 traits, and for their value to balance at +1 (with Minor/Major Assets being +1/+2 and Minor/Major Liabilities being -1/-2). And you could have a single trait more than once (having good standing one place and bad standing one other place).

And I was thinking that, if you wanted one (just one) trait to be SUPERMAJOR, you could, but it costs 4 points.

Let me know if that makes sense.

I have a couple of fluff-things to hash out with a couple of characters (nothing major, just some tweaks). I'm RL busy tonight and tomorrow, so I might not get back around here until Friday evening. We'll see how it goes.

Everyone's base build has been approved, I think, so feel free to work on your sheets in the meantime.

And I'll leave you all with this. Here are a few set-up questions for your previous adventure: the Fall of the Wyrm. You can answer in point form, or in paragraph form, as dramatic or as matter of fact as you like. This is meant to set the stage a little, not stress anyone out.

The rules are:
    • No more than 200 words per answer (not that I'll be counting - but this is more fun when the answers are short and punchy)
    • Anyone can answer any questions in any order, BUT
    • Once you answer one, you can't answer another until everyone else has answered one, OR said "I pass."

Cool? Here we go:
    • Where was the meeting place of the Council of the Last Times?
    • How did they ensure their security?
    • How did their security successfully protect them from an incident?
    • How did their security fail to protect them from an incident?
    • How did the Council contact you?
    • How did you travel to the Council's location? Why did you just barely make it?
    • How did they convince you participate? Why did you almost refuse?
    • Where was the Artifact ("The Graven Goddess") located?
    • Who possessed the Artifact (or possessed knowledge of it)? Why did they offer it for the Council's use?
    • Who knew how to operate the Artifact? What did that knowledge cost them?
    • Someone thought up this insane plan and thought it would work. Who were they and how did they convince the others?
    • Someone was certain this foolish errand and would doom us all. Who were they and how did they try to stop it?
    • Who was secretly planning to betray the Council? What was their plan? Did it work?
    • Who was killed by the Mad Wyrm on the way to the Council?
    • Who fell to the Wyrm's madness during the meeting and had to be defeated?
    • When the Graven Goddess was revealed, what significant magical effect did it have on one of those present?
    • Someone almost caused the whole Council to fail and collapse. Who and why?
    • Someone stepped up at the perfect moment and saved everything. Who and how?

I might add some more based on the answers you give.

And if anyone has any other questions, concerns, comments, thoughts, or ideas, please lay 'em, on me. This is our game and I want everyone to feel a part of it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder about Faye's mechanical questions, just to be sure.

I'll need to think a bit on those assets and liabilities. Currently I feel like I would still end up in the negatives, so I'll need to come up with more positives. Unless she's, like, the ultimate folk hero after her sacrifice and she thus has a supermajor Network asset or something.

Where was the meeting place of the Council of the Last Times?
    The Dearest Moment, an ancient sanctum thought lost (and indeed often lost and later found again) in the evershifting Reverie Forests. It is thought that this is part of a royal rose garden of a long forgotten kingdom of sorts, containing a scene of overwhelming joy and celebration held in perfect, vivid stasis, all "participants" positively fantastical in appearance and often race, with what appears to be a fey-like girl in simple dress in the middle, eyes closed and weeping in joy. Legend has it that the girl experienced the happiest moment of her life and did not want to let it go. So she didn't. And it remained, even as the rest of the kingdom has long crumbled around it.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-05-06 at 05:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    Reminder about Faye's mechanical questions, just to be sure.

I'll need to think a bit on those assets and liabilities. Currently I feel like I would still end up in the negatives, so I'll need to come up with more positives. Unless she's, like, the ultimate folk hero after her sacrifice and she thus has a supermajor Network asset or something.
    If you think you'll wind up in the negatives, and want to keep it that way, that's fine. I had a couple of things I was considering doing with the negative Traits, narrative benefits they could offer.

Your mechanical Questions! I did forget. Mea culpa.

Does the Savvy Rogue feat (improves rogue special abilities) apply to slippery mind granted by Glorious Madness?
    -Absolutely.

Can an enemy be "fearlocked" with demoralizing + Imperious Command by using it every round to cower the opponent (if Faye manages to win the contested roll each time and the enemy isn't immune to fear)?
    -There's nothing that says it shouldn't work, so I'll say yes. It's certainly Faye-thematic. But with the the standard proviso that if this becomes a kind of a Win Button we might have to have an OOC talk about it.

Does Improved Buckler Defense work with using a buckler while wielding a two-handed weapon? I believe the feat only explicitly names two-weapon fighting for retaining buckler AC bonus, but given the track record of editing in 3.5 and using a buckler with a two-handed weapon basically being the same set of rules as for TWF (see armor entry of the buckler), it is murky to me whether the two-handed application was simply forgotten when the feat was written.
    -I think the Feat was explicitly written with Two-Weapon Fighting in mind, but what you're saying is imminently reasonable. Go for it.

I tried to avoid immediate action/out of turn effects where possible because they just don't work very well in PbP, but I did end up with a few (Shield Ally, Improbable Luck rerolls, Defensive Roll, Anklets of Translocation, though the last one can also work fine as a swift action). How should I handle those?
    -I'll have some more to say about general combat flow at some later point, but we'll handle them mostly with general IF-THEN statements and by me pushing as much of the 'narrative unit' that represents one combat action to you as I can. I'm even fine with some retconning, as necessary.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

So, if I have this straight, we're doing a Round Robin QnA concerning the events of the Alliance of Last times, right?

Who possessed the Artifact (or possessed knowledge of it)? Why did they offer it for the Council's use?

A dwarf by the name of Kannegon "Dragonsplitter" Stoneshadow, of Clan Nightmason. Kannegon was an ancient dwarf too old for dragon slaying... anymore, though he certainly tried to get himself killed fighting the Mad Wyrm. In fact, he WAS killed but revived as his spirit refused to depart this world because he figured out what to do and contacted the right cleric to bring him back long enough to offer the statue (so this... kind of answers the following question.) The Tiamat Statue itself was something he had recovered nearly a century before from his youth when he had stopped a mad Dragon cult from using the thing similarly to how the Council used it (only for pro-dragon purposes.) He never destroyed it, but instead kept it in a stronghold in order to lure anyone stupid enough to try to use it for a power grab, and eliminate them well before they could become a world-threatening problem. After being killed/revived he thought it would be a good last resort to this Mad Wyrm problem.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-05-08 at 12:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In terms of fear tactics, I think the once per fight Never Outnumbered will be Faye's main application of demoralizing enemies, unless things are looking pretty grim and one enemy vulnerable to this really, really needs to be stopped from doing anything, or Faye really, really needs to put someone in their place. That and it is fairly easy to be immune to fear/demoralizing or get a lot of bonuses against fear/demoralizing. I would not want to be reduced to a fear bot, as that feels too close to that one time I played a buffing bard, which felt like just spending a standard action every round to go down a list of buffs, then going back to sleep.

I adjusted my assets and liabilities. I did give Faye a supermajor Network asset, but it isn't really about a network of informants or having a ton of favors. Honestly, I can't see her actually knowing about it or making use of it. It's more to represent... some nebulous quality about her and everything she did that leaves few indifferent, even if it doesn't necessarily grant her any advantage (heck, it might even make her more of a target). It won't stop enemies from being enemies, but it might make them respect her and make them understand why she is doing what she is doing and why she will not and can not stop doing it.

13. - Top - End - #13

@Ridai - That might combo a little too well with Jivuurat's dragon fear. Plus there's an incidental class ability I have that removes fear immunity within 100 feet, and synergizes with fear dropping. (People within 100 ft that become panicked start cowering, and anybody that would be shaken is instead frightened) Not saying you can't, of course, just pointing out the synergy.

@truemane - Trying to find a +2 template that's thematic for Jivuurat is hard. My choices are basically Monster of Legend or starting Archdragon. Thoughts?

Show

Status- Major Liability. Jivuurat is an old red dragon who believes that things belong to monkeys only as long as he allows them to possess it. As such, most kingdoms have at least one story of a massive red dragon stealing something or another valuable and flying to the end of the world to keep it.

Standing - Major Liability. The Dragonhunters of Tragu's Defiance look at him as a legendary hunt for their order. Jivuurat looks at them as home delivery snacks.

Holdings- SUPERMAJOR Asset. Jivuurat's Lair is under a volcano, surrounded by magma flows. Few can brave the depths of the flows to him, and the few who do generally have their equipment added to his trove, which has beggared a few nations.

Networks- Neither Asset nor Liability. If Jivuurat wants to know something, he'll go find it out himself.

Lore- Neither Asset nor Liability. Jivuurat likes knowing things that others have long forgotten. The problem with doing everything yourself, though, is that you're rarely in position to grab them when they come up.

And to answer a question....

How did the Council contact you?
    Sending spells work a treat. Too bad they didn't trim the message quite enough. Or maybe they trimmed it too much. Either way, the first place we went wasn't where we were supposed to be....
    Last edited by Zarthrax; 2020-05-10 at 01:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Someone almost caused the whole Council to fail and collapse. Who and why?

Andrinor almost caused the failure of the Council. He had demanded that the cities become city states in truth and not just in name, leaving all of the uncivilised lands to be dominated by the Tribes that roamed the desert. He wanted the lands to fall under his own sway, though not direct rule. The rest of the Council did not agree with this, wanting to keep the Empire largely intact with its existing rulership.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

@Zarthrax: There is no real synergy beyond frightful presence also applying effects to enemies while Faye does her thing. The way Presence of the Draconian Demon is worded, everything it does only applies to itself, not to anything else. Only the frightful presence ignores fear immunity when within 50ft (the telepathy range, not the frightful presence range), and the level 10 ability effectively replaces the effects frightful presence inflicts with better ones.

Faye can try to cower everyone threatened for 1 round with a move action once per fight, and afterwards can try to cower a single threatened enemy with a move action, and only if her targets are not immune to fear in some way, can actually be reached by Faye (flight pretty much makes them immune, as does enough distance), Faye has not failed a check against them in the last 24 hours, and if they don't get massive bonuses against demoralizing due to size and what-not.

Jivuurat shotguns most of the battlefield with 14 HD or less with a save-or-lose (either cowering for 4d6 rounds or frightened for 4d6 rounds) that ignores immunity as part of other actions.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-05-10 at 06:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

@Ridai- True. Luckily, I remembered the variant frightful presence abilities from the back of Dragon Magic, so there's that instead. Too many frightful presences on a dragon to be okay with stacking them, so I was making sure there wasn't much overlap...lol

Ended up taking Awesome Presence instead of the standard Frightful Presence, and just making do with the Frightful Presence invocation instead. Of course, that means that those who fall under the first are more likely to fall for the second, but considering that they'd have to have 14 or fewer HD, I think we'll be okay.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarthrax View Post
    @Ridai- True. Luckily, I remembered the variant frightful presence abilities from the back of Dragon Magic, so there's that instead. Too many frightful presences on a dragon to be okay with stacking them, so I was making sure there wasn't much overlap...lol

Ended up taking Awesome Presence instead of the standard Frightful Presence, and just making do with the Frightful Presence invocation instead. Of course, that means that those who fall under the first are more likely to fall for the second, but considering that they'd have to have 14 or fewer HD, I think we'll be okay.
    Oh yeah, those variants! First time those have come up in an actual game! Man, 3.5 has so much really specific stuff squirreled away everywhere.

So Jivuurat is now running the upgraded frightful presence from the theurge class, Awesome Presence from trading in the dragon frightful presence, and the Frightful Presence invocation? He needs a floating sign on the aura perimeter saying "Now entering Aura of AAAAAAAAAAAA".

I think we are waiting on YuweaCurtis' answer for one of the lore questions right now?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I think so.

I'm a little nervous about Ushio, however. I keep feeling like there was an angle to his build I was planning to do but forgot.

Other than musing on giving him a Great Spear instead of a katana with the distance enchantment//crystal of return on it so he can shank a mofo from 20feet away, I tried to find a concealment enchantment to rig on his sword/dagger but that's only in Pathfinder so it was a no go...

EDIT: CAN I swap katana for greatspear, actually? Swap keen for distance and change one feat so he can fight adjacent foes with it... I kinda like the image of a ninja spear user (human or minotuar...)
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-05-12 at 05:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    Other than musing on giving him a Great Spear instead of a katana with the distance enchantment//crystal of return on it so he can shank a mofo from 20feet away, I tried to find a concealment enchantment to rig on his sword/dagger but that's only in Pathfinder so it was a no go...
    If we are talking actual concealment, the go-to cheap-ish magic item for that is the +1 armor property Blurring from Magic Item Compendium (could simply enchant clothing with magic armor bonuses and properties, and have the bracers override the AC bonus, or perhaps have some of the bonus of the bracers act as the property instead). If we are talking always-on miss chance that isn't actually concealment, I'd say Minor Cloak of Displacement from the SRD for 24k for a constant 20%.

There is also Blurstrike for weapons, but that is quite expensive in terms of money (+2 property) and actions (swift action to have an enemy count as flat-footed against a single attack).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

To clarify, in Pathfinder there's a weapon enchantment to make a weapon look like something else, like a sword looks like a simple walking stick or an axe that appears to be your beloved banjo or what have you and I failed to find anything like that for Ushio's weapon.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-05-12 at 05:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
    To clarify, in Pathfinder there's a weapon enchantment to make a weapon look like something else, like a sword looks like a simple walking stick or an axe that appears to be your beloved banjo or what have you and I failed to find anything like that for Ushio's weapon.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, no glamering for weapons in 3.5, the closest thing would be the +1 property Morphing to turn your spear into a quarterstaff, but it would take a standard action to return the weapon to its original (and functional) form. Or do shenanigans with Glove of Storing/Glove of the Master Strategist, hiding your weapon only to retrieve it from nowhere.

That said, the Pathfinder property should not be difficult to transplant into 3.5.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... A large size greatspear is 18 pounds so it would fit in the glove of storing...

Wait. it's a two handed weapon, so... I'm pretty sure you can't store it in there unless the DM waves that.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2020-05-12 at 06:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Since this is 3.5 and thus has less than precise wording, a case could be made that a two-handed weapon could be stored if it fits the weight limit, since it can store any sort of item, as long as you can hold it in one hand. You can most definitely hold a two-handed weapon in one hand (heck, you can as a free action let go of such a weapon with one hand, do some casting with it, then grasp it again), but you can't wield (as in actually attack with) such a weapon in one hand.

If all else fails, there is the Ring of Arming, which requires a standard action to retrieve, but can store pretty much any armor and weaponry.

24. - Top - End - #24

Hey everyone! Good answers to the questions so far.

YuweaCurtis might be waiting on me to approve their homebrew before posting. However, if they want to jump in with the backstory before that, that would be awesome.

I've got a few more mechanical calls to make, which is cool. I'll look at all that this evening.

I think we should do one more round of questions before moving on. And then I'll collate all the info and we'll set the next bit of backstory.

So let's do this. Let's 'skip' YuweaCurtis, and everyone can now answer one more question, just like before.

And YuweaCurtis, you can now answer two in a row, if you wish.

Also, if possible, could everyone please let me know their preferred pronouns? I don't mind defaulting to them/they/their, but I'd rather use what you prefer, if such a thing exists. If you don't wish to answer this, you don't have to, and I'll stay with they/them/their when addressing or referring to you.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Cis Male, so I use masculine pronouns he/him/etc. (and so does Ushio for that matter.)

Also, is the whole great spear stuff we spoke about okay for me to switch around with my bull ninja?

Also also, can I PM you a thought I had concerning an NPC that wouldn't be covered by the questions?

26. - Top - End - #26

Spear stuff is all fine with me.

By all means, PM me NPC stuff, or lay it out here. Whichever you prefer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

No particular pronoun preference, doesn't really matter to me on the internet.

Who fell to the Wyrm's madness during the meeting and had to be defeated?

Magnus Meldorn, cleric of Fharlanghn, who would have been involved in the logistics of the undertaking. The now unmade proof that a mind blank and above-average willpower were not enough to block the Mad Wyrm's madness given enough exposure. When inspecting the artifact for transport purposes, he suddenly laid down his unfolded portable hole and was about to tip the fully assembled Graven Goddess into it, along with a bag of holding. Magnus was tackled into the hole instead, causing the subsequent astral rift to consume the portable hole, the bag of holding, and the insane cleric.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Who was secretly planning to betray the Council? What was their plan? Did it work?

Princess Almydon (the object of Ushio's affections)'s parents. King Lymond and Queen Rysel were totally going to sell out not just the council, but most of the world to the Mad Wyrm in an attempt to keep their kingdom safe at any cost using their unwitting daughter as a spy of sorts as she kept in contact with them early on. It
    lead to some pretty nasty predicaments that may or may not have thinned the ranks of the Heroes and nearly finished the Council before it could get started.

But the heroes persevered. And Almydon stopped directly contacting her parents and suddenly it didn't seem like the Mad Wyrm was predicting the heroes' plans as well anymore.

But the Mad Wyrm had expected results so she acid dumped the castle the King and Queen had been hiding out in once she figured out her spied were useless. and it was not a pretty sight. A speak with the dead spell and a very awkward family reunion through it brought the matter to light. Almydon refused to raise her parents, even after amassing the kind of wealth and resources needed to do so.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am cis Male, so I am fine with male pronouns.

Who knew how to operate the Artifact? What did that knowledge cost them?
    The archwizard Cyron was the only one who truly knew how to use the artifact, due to his deep knowledge of dragons and dragon religions. He knew more of them even than the wizard/priest Andrinor, being more of a scholar than battle mage. Cyron used the power of the artifact, but the usage destroyed his mind. He started to believe he was Tiamat herself. He was driven irrevocably insane, and ended up in an asylum, where he was killed by another inmate who thought he was Bahamut. With his magic restricted within the asylum, he couldn't defend himself against the powerful warrior who needed no weapons to kill a decrepit old man.

30. - Top - End - #30

@Zarthrax re: Monster of Legend and/or Archdragon.
    -I'm not really keen to mix templates with Monster PrC's. They're not really the same thing and I worry about it causing issues down the road. Is there a template you like the mechanics of and can re-skin/re-fluff?

@tonberryking re: Great-spear
    -I am totally okay with switching out katana for greatspear and fitting it into a Glove of Storing if you wish.

I'll try to get the next pre-game bit up and running this evening. If Zarthrax or YuhweaCurtis wants to throw down a question before then, awesome. Otherwise, I'll wrap it up and move on.

I'm going to start looking at and finalizing sheets as well.