New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default It's Alive!....It's Alive!!

Well, to get to the point, I am running a high level campaign and I realized that the party is going to quickly churn through the monsters I have populating a fortress. So, I decided to throw in some more critters to help the adventure last a little longer. One that I like (even though they won't last long against the party) are Living Spells. I thought a particularly viscious combo was Reverse Gravity and Blade Barrier as a single Spell. (It slices, it dices, and there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do about it once you fail your save!)

To clarify the abilities of the Living spells, my question:
    If the spell allows a save, do creatures that are engulfed by the Spell need to make a new save each round they remain within the Spell? Or do they make one the first round they are engulfed, and that's it until they become engulfed again?

The template didn't seem clear on this point, so I just thought I would ask.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: It's Alive!....It's Alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by silentknight View Post
    Well, to get to the point, I am running a high level campaign and I realized that the party is going to quickly churn through the monsters I have populating a fortress. So, I decided to throw in some more critters to help the adventure last a little longer. One that I like (even though they won't last long against the party) are Living Spells. I thought a particularly viscious combo was Reverse Gravity and Blade Barrier as a single Spell. (It slices, it dices, and there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do about it once you fail your save!)

To clarify the abilities of the Living spells, my question:
    If the spell allows a save, do creatures that are engulfed by the Spell need to make a new save each round they remain within the Spell? Or do they make one the first round they are engulfed, and that's it until they become engulfed again?

The template didn't seem clear on this point, so I just thought I would ask.
    I don't have my eberron campaign setting with me, having leant it to my friend.. but if you're up for suggestions, living Dispel magic/Greater dispel/Mordenkainen's Disjunction is also particularly vicious.. As is living Wail of the Banshee and Living Forcecage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Yeah, sure, suggest away! I like the living Dispel Magic coupled with a normal but tough baddie to take advantage of their weaken condition!
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Link to Living Spells rules

Living Reverse Gravity. Have the player hit the ceiling for falling damage, and then have a Dimension Door trap on the ceiling to port them back to the LRG.

:D

EDIT: Or, you could actually have a second LRG on the ceiling, thus giving it an AoO Reverse Gravity. Then give them Combat Reflexes and...
    Last edited by Yeygresh; 2007-10-11 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralfarius View Post
    "I find your propensity toward accumulating monetary wealth through violent means of highly dubious sensibility!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the spell(s) each round on the living spell's turn,
    So every time the living spell's turn came around the engulfed character would need to make the appropriate save or fall under the effect of the spell.

So with your Reverse Gravity+Blade Barrier, the character would perpetually be floating in the air without some method of flight or teleportation, and would have to save each round to reduce/avoid the blade barrier damage.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

living spells are fun, dispel magic is one of the nice ones. living prismatic anything or cloudkill are good choices.

anyway, depending on the level of the party, iv found that playing the bad guys inteligently and using strategy often can make an encounter much more difficult.

A more...extreme example would be that kobold haven...dont have a link to it.