New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: By request: Workshopping another Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    This is the same as double quarry dice, but less fun since you don't get to roll the dice. If you're okay with this, why not just use double quarry dice. Where is all this coming from? Why are you so desperately trying to avoid using my suggestion
    Basically because i’m trying to be very careful about both the power floor and ceiling. Currently both appear to be within tolerance compared to other classes, and less than 10 between each other is actually pretty damn good. Funnily enough if you compare what we have now to the UA released over the years I reckons this is a lot more polished for relatively little time invested and I commend everyone for that accomplishment.

I’m curious though, I might be reading the charts wrong but under the current rules are you applying quarry damage twice on the 2nd round from level 5 onwards?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Basically because i’m trying to be very careful about both the power floor and ceiling. Currently both appear to be within tolerance compared to other classes, and less than 10 between each other is actually pretty damn good. Funnily enough if you compare what we have now to the UA released over the years I reckons this is a lot more polished for relatively little time invested and I commend everyone for that accomplishment.

I’m curious though, I might be reading the charts wrong but under the current rules are you applying quarry damage twice on the 2nd round from level 5 onwards?
    Yeah, I understand that concern. This is exactly why I have also marked by red each cell that lands outside the ideal-floor-and-ceiling margin. For example tables 1 and 2, at 3rd level, you can see TWF is marked with either red, yellow or green based on how far it is from the ideal damage curve. Most green is most good, most red is most bad.

Then you must also account for the first attack against a new target, since Quarry damage is not applied. This is likely to happen a few times each combat, since there's usually more than just one enemy. Quarry 1/turn helps with that a lot, and of course the volley at 10th level. This is why we are comparing our damage to maximum damage averages between multiple classes. We can afford to be in the upper limits of the damage list, since we can't always trigger the Quarry.

In table 1 It's applied once per attack
    In table 2 it's applied once per turn, but doubled for the Hunter
    In table 3 it's applied once per attack made as a part of the attack action
    In table 4 it's applied once per attack made as a part of the attack action, but doubled for Hunter.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. As an executive decision i'm going to keep Quarry as is and not change it to once per round or to be reliant on the attack action. I find those too much of a loss of interesting interplay to be worth the change.

Now that said, the Hunter specifically does need something changed at level 3 because as-is the damage benefit doesn't kick in until quarry damage comes in, either next turn before level 5 or by using a bonus action attack like TWF. That is an unbalancing issue as pointed out.

So, the Quarry reroll is a fun quality of life benefit but not enough compared to the immediate damage spike BM is capable of. How about we combine the Quarry reroll with the Hunter being able to immediately add Quarry damage to the damage of the attack he marks a target with. This is only a raw increase of damage on turn 1 when it appears to be needed.

Thoughts? I don't want to just hand out straight extra quarry dice to the Hunter because they can then use it with TWF to come out equal to or in front of the BM without the drawbacks the BM faces. But that's just me.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So basically give the Hunter barbarian rage in dice form? It loses the 'study your target, adapt to your enemy' flavor of the Quarry, but it works.

Warden changes look nice btw. I would never have thought of using 'Ley'. Very well done.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Basically because i’m trying to be very careful about both the power floor and ceiling. Currently both appear to be within tolerance compared to other classes, and less than 10 between each other is actually pretty damn good.
    I have a different question about power levels.
    How can one fit Gloom Stalker into this Ranger model.
    Or is that not viable?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I have a different question about power levels.
    How can one fit Gloom Stalker into this Ranger model.
    Or is that not viable?
    The subclass probably won't work taken straight from Xan's but the concept works. The level 3 ambush attack and darkvision fit fine, as does Iron Mind at level 7. After that you'd need to get creative though, as those two features are built into Quarry as standard and there is an extra subclass level in need of a feature.

Some ideas to fill those gaps at levels 10, 14 and 18:
    - Bonus action Hide (might be a bit late, maybe free Hide when you trigger a condition like when you reduce your Quarry to 0 HP?)
    - Foiling special senses like tremorsense, blindsight, etc
    - Using reaction to chase fleeing Quarry ala Vengeance Pally
    - Temporarily shutting down Quarry's special abilities (eg getting a Crit on a quarry means that they lose one legendary action, or for a turn can't teleport, heal, cast spells, etc)
    - Not provoking OAs from your Quarry
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Misc thoughts led to a couple alternatives to Favored Terrain and Favored Enemy.

For the class as a whole, a replacement for Favored Terrain:

Traveler: You are well-versed in the dangers of wilderness travel, in a variety of natural environments. When you prepare for travel, spend one hour of preparation time for every day of expected travel time. Being prepared provides you and your party several benefits, as long as you travel within the environments that you planned for.

- Your party has advantage on any travel-related skill checks.
    - Your party moves at the speed of its fastest member.
    - Difficult terrain only increases travel time by 50%, rather than 100%.

This provides the advantage on skill checks that were expected, while also providing some movement advantages. Don't get held up by your slowest member, and reduce the effect of difficult terrain. I wanted to make it easier to travel, but not completely "solve" the travel issue. Got rid of the bit about not getting lost, since it shouldn't be impossible to get lost, but the advantage on travel-related checks should make it less likely. Remaining alert to danger is just a general thing. Retaining stealth while traveling alone felt kinda silly to include as part of the group effect package. Foraging for food: again, advantage. And tracking something else entirely.

Making it a prepared action means it gets rid of the "only one environment" limitation, but still have the limitation of "what you prepared for". If you're ready for a trek through the jungle, but fall into a tunnel trapping you in the Underdark, you're kinda screwed. On the other hand, if you planned to head into the Underdark, whose entrance was in the middle of the jungle, you're still OK.

Bounty Hunter: You may designate a specific individual or group as an enemy that you are hunting down. While you are hunting this target, you have advantage on Tracking and Investigation skill checks related to them, as well as designing traps or planning ambushes to be used against them. You may designate a new bounty once your chosen one has been defeated, or after you gain a level.

Narrows the scope of Favored Enemy to be a single target or specific group. Gets rid of the language part. Adds features related to trapping or ambushing the target. Selectable for each individual campaign, instead of the guesswork of Favored Enemy. Fits whether you follow a single mastermind throughout the game levels, or you jump from small group to small group.

Probably fits the Hunter subclass best.

Not quite ready to try to add it to the class document I have.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

You mean Quarry?
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

You mean Quarry?
    It probably belongs with Quarry — or at least as an enhancement to Quarry under the Hunter subclass — but Quarry is currently all about damage, and less about the non-combaty stuff. (At least as far as the version I have in my document of this rewrite.)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

OK, a thread on ranger stuff popped up on another forum, and I made a comment based on the rebuild done here. However, while I was writing it up, an interesting idea related to the Warden subclass occurred to me.

First, the Warden subclass we have here is the weakest, conceptually. We put it in because a martial class generally needs a magic-using subclass, particularly after we stripped the main class of magic. The Warden is a ranger with magic, but that's about it. It doesn't have a strong identity in and of itself.

However while writing up a description for the Warden subclass, I realized that a magic subclass for Ranger really fits in well with the idea of a Shaman.

A Shaman is generally tied to spirits, in contrast to living creatures such as might be had by Beastmasters or Druids. However there's also a strong callback to Aragorn calling the spirit army.

A Shaman is often associated with a tribe, and by extension, territory. It is a pre-modern type of civilization, which is often associated with Barbarians and Rangers. The types of knowledge that a Ranger might have fits well with the role the Shaman plays in the tribe.

The Shaman has often been set aside from getting its own class because of the difficulty in developing a number of subclasses for it. It would be cool to have totem magic, but there's not enough broad conceptual support for it, as the class level. But we could narrow it down to a single subclass, with further development options similar to the tattoo ideas in UA that seemed to fit in with the Barbarian.

It would also provide an alternate route to speaking with the dead, vs Clerics, which is certainly the kind of thing a detective would love to have access to. And spirits would be an interesting cross-mixture of Beastmaster and Necromancer.

Basically, it fits with the Ranger/Hunter/Beastmaster concepts, while still being different from them.

Thoughts? I only just came up with the idea, so there might be notable problems with it, but it feels like a good fit, to me.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Well, i’ll be the first to admit the Warden got the least attention if the subclasses as part of this, I think primarily because the original request was a spell-less Ranger.

That said, the Shaman concept works just fine. At its most basic ‘Shaman’ as an archetype basically boils down to [Tribal] + [Magic] and because of that it typically takes the form of a primary caster (Druid, Nature Cleric, at a stretch FS Sorc or Celestial Lock) but it doesnt have to be (Ancients Pally, Ranger, a casting Barbarian if one existed). I picked the name Warden as to not invalidate those other methods of playing a Shaman/Witch Doctor, but i’m also very much mechanics-focused when ‘brewing so I really only do just enough fluff to get concept across and names that fit.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika