New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Question on "Mea Culpa" Infractions

Does talking about the Mea Culpa rule stipulated in giant's rules count as an infraction? For example, if I was posting a link to something that was a Parody, and specifying that it doesn't break any of Giant's Copyright posting rules as written, would that incur an infraction?
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2019-08-21 at 03:14 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Question on "Mea Culpa" Infractions

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Does talking about the Mea Culpa rule stipulated in giant's rules count as an infraction? For example, if I was posting a link to something that was a Parody, and specifying that it doesn't break any of Giant's Copyright posting rules as written, would that incur an infraction?
    The Mod Ogre:
    A Mea Culpa is solely when you post something to the effect of "I know this breaks the rules."

"Not to flame or anything, but Glyphstone is a doody-head" (Sorry, Glyph). That's a warning or infraction for flaming (because it's flaming) and a mea culpa infraction (because that's acknowledging that you are flaming).

Something akin to "This is parody, so it should be ok under the copyright rule" isn't "I am breaking the rules" but "I have a reason to believe I am not breaking the rules."

We would, of course, consider the context of the statement; if the above got a copyright warning, it wouldn't also get a mea culpa warning. If the post was, instead, "I know we're not supposed to post copyrighted stuff here, but go to www.alld&dstuffever.com to download a copy of this obscure Latvian sourcebook that covers it". If the post simply failed to acknowledge the possible rule-breaking aspect ("alld&dstuffever.com has the Latvian Sourcebook that covers this"), then it gets dinged for copyright, not for Mea Culpa.

Mea Culpa SOLELY exists for the kind of people who are going to openly acknowledge that they are breaking the rules while they are breaking the rules. You should know the rules, we assume you know the rules, but we don't hit you with Mea Culpa for breaking the rules without you TELLING us you knew the rule and broke it anyway.

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Question on "Mea Culpa" Infractions

Thank you so much for the clarification, it's helped me loads, have a good rest of your day!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.