New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] RC's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC

Quote Originally Posted by Nippi
    Um, not fire, Zippo, there could be somebody alive inside! Lots of spiders just paralyze their food instead of killing it ... But how are we going to get up there to help?"
    Once the skulltula is down, I can climb there
    No fire. Then with the sling. Hey brothers, let's shoot altogether at once, ok? Weaver, count to three!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Attack (1d20+8)[23], damage (1d3+3)[4]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fliggl View Post
    Hey brothers, let's shoot altogether at once, ok? Weaver, count to three!
    Nippi whips his bow around and starts fumbling for an arrow. "Hangonhangon ..."

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    (d20+7)[16] to hit, (d8+2)[3] damage
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver scratches his head for a bit as they emerge from the webs. Upon seeing the other skulltula fussing with its bundle, the group is surprised to see an arm flopping out. At the urging of the others, Weaver blinks rapidly before stammering softly in reply, ”Uh, right ... we should, ah, attack. But, um, quietly. Yeah, real quiet! On a-one ... and a-two ... and, uh, three, I guess.””

Weaver slips forward with his newly acquired sling and hurls a stone when he’s close enough.

Sorry again for the delay. Alright, I listed the rest of the loot on Weaver’s sheet for now. Claiming the sling. Recommend Zippo wear the cloak, as the one most likely to be in the thick of it.
    Sneaking to w/in 30’ for a surprise round. Move silently - (1d20+4)[15], Hide - (1d20+10)[20]
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[11], Att - (1d20+7)[10], Dam - (1d4+1)[3]+SA - (2d6)[4]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 17; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +4 R +8 W +4 Init: +4 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+7, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3
    Effects: Evasion, KS devotion (+2 vs skulltulas)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Surprise Round

On three the trio of Kokiri unleash their ranged attacks! Zippo's stone strikes the Skulltula a solid blow to the head and Nippi's arrow sticks firmly into its toughened carapace, but Weaver's stone glances off the spider's armour. It hisses in a displeased manner!

Taken by surprise by the suddenness of the assault the spider hesitates to respond.

Round 1
    Weaver and Zippo to go.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hehehehe
    Now, the favor is on the kokiris side. He grabs into his pocket and takes out another deku-seed, reloads his sling and aims for the skulltula again

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Move action: reload
    Standard action: shoot
    To hit: (1d20+8)[23]
    Damage: (1d3+3)[4]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver ducked his head down for a moment, embarrassed at his lack of skill. Clearing his throat, he commented, ”Good! We, ah, got its attention now. Get it!”

Raising the sling, he tried again.

Attack - (1d20+8)[22], Dam - (1d4+2)[3]+SA - (2d6)[6]
    Show
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones: 18
    Effects: Evasion, KS devotion (+1 vs skulltulas)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Zippo and Weaver's seeds both crack the Skulltula's carapace, yellow ichor dripping from the wounds! Screaming in agony the Skulltula decides its prize isn't worth fighting over and retreats swiftly into a dark crevice in the ceiling where you lose track of it. The battle is over!

Navi flies over to inspect the cocoon. "Quickly! I think they're still alive!" she calls.

The cocoon is 20ft up bit the criss-crossing of webs form a ladder and with a little bit of difficult you manage to detach the cocoon and bring it down to ground level. Short work with a dagger reveals the Kokiri inside.

It's Nemi!

Zippo, Weaver, and Nippi know her from the village although not all because she's a bit of a recluse. She can usually be found tagging along with Fisu, himself a bit of a recluse as well. But the two are generally respected for their dancing entertainments, even if they are viewed as a bit eccentric by most.

She's completely paralysed. She hasn't been noticed as missing, so the spider must have captured her in the woods and dragged her back here quite recently.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"Ohmygosh! Nemi! Are you okay?! ... Oh, right, paralyzed, can't talk. Sorry. I guess you won't be dancing soon either. Wow, I'm glad we found you when we did!" Still worked up from the fights, Nippi is babbling just a bit. He tries to figure out if he can do anything to help his friend Nemi. It's probably too late to help with the paralytic poison, but she might be more seriously wounded, too.

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi had never been so happy to see a friendly face, even though she couldn't express it at the moment. She had been walking in the forest when she suddenly felt a sting and she must have gone unconscious for a while, but when she came around she hadn't been able to see anything and she couldn't move. It had been a very frustrating time and she didn't even know how much time had passed. Only her discipline which she had learned from Fisu kept her fear a bit under control.

When she suddenly felt that there was movement, she was worried that whatever had taken her would now move to kill her, but then the light returned and she noticed that she was wrapped in a coccoon of some sort. But more important where the Kokiri standing there and trying to help.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver leaned over and peered at the now freed Nemi. He nodded absently to himself, then dug around him n his haversack for a small vial. ”Good thing we found this, uh, cure. That’s it ... a cure! Drink up, Nemi!” Weaver poured the potion down her throat.

Once she recovered, he asked, ”So, uh, what happened, Nemi? I mean, ah, beside getting bit by a skulltula... and better NG wrapped up ... and dragged up here ...

So, how, uh, how are you doing?”

Sorry for the delay - even with COVID concerns, I’m still working full time
    Show
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones: 18
    Effects: Evasion

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As soon as she could move again, Nemi did something very uncharacteristically. She jumped up and hugged all of them.
    "I'm so happy to see you guys," she said, tears streaming down her face, "what happened? Where are we? What are you doing here?"
    The otherwise so reserved Nemi was now a gush of questions. She also only reluctantly let go of the other Kokiri and quickly looked around for her backpack with stuff, which she found a bit further.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

When Nemi hugged Zippo, he blushed and stuttered “Ah, wait, no, you're welcome, I don't ...
    But then she let go and hugged another one. Yeah... he isn't much into this hugging stuff...

Ahem, yeah. Back to topic. How do we get this big wooden chunk down? Nemi, you're into this Hijaa he made a karate move do you think you can “cut“ the webs with your ... another karate move

I could give you a safty belt with my rope, so you won't fall that much, if you loose your hold...
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2020-03-20 at 04:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Chunk of wood," Nemi asked, still a bit confused, "and if I try to hit those webs, I'll probably get stuck again. Just use a sword or axe or dagger to cut them."
    She wasn't going to get stuck again in those webs if she could avoid it.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Navi has so far hovered over the unexpected reunion, but she speaks up when Nemi asks where they are and what they're doing here.

"Hello! I'm Navi the fairy! Nice to meet you! We're inside the Great Deku Tree! The Great Deku Tree has been cursed and asked us to break the curse! Can you help us Nemi?"

Looking around Nemi sees that she and the others are at the top of a chamber 60ft in diameter. A 10ft wide ring of platform surrounds a 40ft diameter gap in the centre of the chamber, and there's a 5ft square hole to the south where vines come up. This must have been how the others climbed this high! The entire level is choked with sticky spiderwebs, which makes movement difficult. This is the highest level, the ceiling of the chamber forming a rough dome some 20ft above with the chamber floor some 90ft below.

On the floor below she can make out Koli, Nippi's faithful companion sitting patiently next to a 20ft aperture in the floor covered with thick spiderwebs. A rotted spike of wood, some 10ft in diameter by 15ft high projects downwards from the centre of the ceiling directly above this hole. The spike is about 20ft away from the platforms, but in the east the platforms are a little wider making it more like 15ft there.

Navi flies out over the void in the centre of the room to touch the 10ft diameter wooden spike hanging from the ceiling there.

"We've been looking for the source of the curse! We've looked everywhere above, so it must be in the Great Deku Tree's roots below! First we need to get past those spiderwebs..."

"This rotten spike looks very heavy! It doesn't look very secure! Maybe we could use the branches we found to dislodge it?"

"We also found the journal of a Deku Scrub called Dedsi! She had tried jumping onto the webs to break them, and although she wasn't hurt because they're springy, she didn't manage to break them because she wasn't heavy enough and didn't manage to land in the middle! She thought if several people jumped at once and landed in the middle, that would probably work too!"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-03-22 at 02:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well, you saved me, so the least I can do is help out," Nemi said as she looked at the piece of wood and the spider webs below.
    "I wouldn't jump, because if what you say is true and we jump through them, we'll fall further, not knowing what's below. I think that's dangerous. We can better use that piece of wood."
    She looked at it and how it was attached to the ceiling.
    "Maybe I can get my wasp to tear it loose," she suggested.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver sat no pluses at the exuberant hugging from Nemu. He stood awkwardly rubbing his neck as the others spoke in a rush. Finally, he spoke m, nodding at Nemu. ”I agree with Nemu - I’d, uh, rather not find out how deep the hole is by, ah, jumping in. But the wood up there ... maybe my glove can knock it loose?!”

Weaver peered up and glanced at his glove, wondering if the lightning ability would be sufficient to the task.

Weaver’s got two more ranges touch attacks (1d8+5) which might weaken the spike further.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"What does your glove do," Nemi asked Weaver, "you sure it won't harm the Great Deku tree?"
    It had started to sink in that she was in fact, inside their saviour and guardian. She wasn't sure what to think of that, but if the Great Deku tree was cursed, she would do everything she could to help find the problem.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    As soon as she could move again, Nemi did something very uncharacteristically. She jumped up and hugged all of them.
    "I'm so happy to see you guys," she said, tears streaming down her face, "what happened? Where are we? What are you doing here?"
    Nippi grins at Nemi's enthusiasm. "It's really good to see you here too. And alive! That part's more important than just 'here'."

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "This rotten spike looks very heavy! It doesn't look very secure! Maybe we could use the branches we found to dislodge it?"
    Nippi looks again at the long pieces of wood. "Huh! I think you're right, Navi! This one here looks like it might be long enough to poke the spike ... if I stand near the edge, here ... Hey, friends, somebody help me with this -- it weighs as much as I do! We might need to find something to, uh, what'stheword, uh, make it be a lever. You know what I mean."

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver waggled his fingers, saying, ”It’s ... uh... a magic glove. It, um, shoots lightning. I don’t think it’ll hurt the Great Deku Tree, cuz that part looks dead. I’m sure it’ll help. Yeah, that’s it ... it’ll make the Tree feel better! ”

Answering
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Whilst Nemi and Weaver are discussing whether to try and chop down the spike with Nemi's bare hands (it's 10ft in diameter!) or blast it with Weaver's lightning glove (wood is a pretty good insulator!) Nippi picks up one of the branches the party found earlier and gives the rotted wooden spike a tentative poke whilst he waits for the others to help him.

TOCK!

A sudden hollow snapping sound echoes through The Great Deku Tree's innards! For half a heartbeat nothing seems to happen before the enormous wooden spike tears itself loose from the rest of the domed ceiling in a shower of rotted wood and plummets to the bottom of the chamber where it tears through the spiderwebs, tumbling and crashing as it bangs against the inside of the Great Deku Tree's taproots before coming to rest somewhere in the unseen darkness below with one final almighty CRASH the reverberations of which can still be felt where you stand hundreds of feet above! That must have been really rotten to be dislodged so easily!

Koli yipes nervously down below. That was close! Poor Koli!

"Well that did it!" Navi exclaims excitedly, flying down to inspect Nippi's handiwork! "Come on down! The way is clear!"

How are you going to get down? It's 90ft to the chamber floor. You came up over an overhang in the north using Zippo's climbing skills and a rope. On the upper level you're on the platforms stick out at least 5ft further than on the level below so descending the same way won't be so easy! Alternatively there are some spiderweb-covered vines that are a straight climb in the south, but you all decided to avoid that last time. The level below is at 50ft above the chamber floor. From there a relatively straightforward 30ft climb down would get you within a 20ft jump of the chamber floor or a 10ft jump horizontally to a slope that would take you the rest of the way.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-03-22 at 02:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ok, let's go downwards. Good job, Nippi! Ok. Do we climb back? I hold the rope, ok?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I can help with getting down," Nemi said, digging through her backpack, "I have some stuff that can help."

She comes out with some Climbing gear, like hooks to attach to your feet and pitons to attach ropes to.
    "if Zippo can hold the rope like he proposed," she said, "I climb down to attach it to the overhang so you can all use it to go down. I'll come down last and unhook everything. Or I can rig a harnass for all of use, summon a giant wasp and have it carry us down. Whichever you think it's best, as you've been here for longer than I have and I don't want to damage the Great Deku tree."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

"Yipe! Geez! I hope that didn't hurt the Great Deku Tree. It was probably like pulling a bad tooth. Good girl, Koli! Stay, girl! Stay! I'm coming soon," Nippi shouts down.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "I climb down to attach it to the overhang so you can all use it to go down. I'll come down last and unhook everything. Or I can rig a harnass for all of use, summon a giant wasp and have it carry us down. Whichever you think it's best, as you've been here for longer than I have and I don't want to damage the Great Deku tree."
    With a glance at Zippo, Nippi replies a little timidly, "Me personally, I don't really want to be bound right next to a huge bug, I've gotten my fill of that dish recently. I think we can climb safely if we take it slow."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-03-24 at 05:44 PM.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Okay, no wasp then," Nemi said as she took out her climbing gear
    "Let's go then," she added, before she started to climb down, carefully and making sure that everything was ready for the others to follow her.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

With Nemi's climbing gear traversing the overhang is made safe even for the less competent climbers in the group, although swinging out into space remains scary! Within too long the party has made it back to ground level and reunited with Nippi's faithful companion Koli! Good boy Koli!

Where the spiderwebs had previously covered the hole in the centre of the floor is now a ruin of smashed spiderwebs and vines descending deep into the earth below. About 200ft below you can just make out a flickering light.

"This doesn't look too hard to climb! Especially with Nemi's climbing kit. But what about Koli? Surely we're going to bring him with us this time?" Navi says.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's roughly equivalent to: A surface with ledges to hold on to and stand on, such as a very rough wall or a ship’s rigging.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'm sure one of us can carry him down," Nemi said as she looked at the way down, "we can rig some sort of harness for him to be put in. I guess both Zippo and myself are strong enough to carry him down without being encumbered too much."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the crack and boom of the rotten spine, Weaver jumped slightly, chuckling nervously. ”Ah, way to go. That’s, uh, exactly what I wanted to do. Now climbing ... um, yeah ... do that, Nemi. Good job. I’ll try follow so no one, uh, gets left behind.”

Once the group reached the main floor again, Weaver peered into the whole while Nippi and Kool rejoiced at being together. Looking around, he didn’t see signs of their other two companions, but there was a faint light at the bottom. Frowning, he tugged his ear for a moment, then turned back to the others. ”Well, uh, I should be fine, but, um, for those who aren’t great climbers, maybe we should set up backup ropes ...just in case.”

Sorry y’all - I’ve still been at work fu time, and spending as much time at home trying to keep the family sane. I’m still here!

And at some point I hope Weaver finds something he’s actually good at ... lol.

Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

After a couple happy minutes of reunion, Nippi takes Koli over to the edge of the cavity. "Hmm. This looks like it'd be easier to get back up than all of that was," he says, pointing up. "So, yeah, I wanna figure a way to get her down. I think a harness would do okay. But how far down? Wanna bet there are some hollow roots like there were hollow branches above?" He moves around the rim slowly, squinting and peering in the hopes of seeing a side passage.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hey, Navi, um, any chance you fly down and look how deep this is? Zippo helt this for a good idea but also he knew that Navi isn't that risky...
    Or we throw down a torch, than we can see how deep this is. That this could end in a fireball like burst, with all the webs and woods and a chimney, didn't come to his mind. He should have given this a second thought.

Instead he walks around, looking for piece of wood and when he found one, he walked over to the Nippi Can you ignite this?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Is it a good idea to start a fire inside the Great Deku tree," Nemi asked as she also looked down in the hole.