New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] RC's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC

Quote Originally Posted by Fliggl View Post
    Zippo walks around, looking for piece of wood and when he found one, he walked over to the Nippi Can you ignite this?
    "Uh ... I don't know! I've never tried to be that careful before. My heartfire is like how I'm feeling, and usually I want it bigger and brighter! We can try ..." Nippi seems a bit befuddled by the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    "Is it a good idea to start a fire inside the Great Deku tree," Nemi asked as she also looked down in the hole.
    "Y'know, Nemi, we were wondering the same thing. But we needed the fire really bad before -- like when the skulltulas attacked us -- so it was kinda like do-or-die. Good thing it's pretty damp right now!"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"maybe," Nemi said, still not completely convinced. She looked down into the shaft again.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

I'll do a spot and listen roll just in case
    spot: (1d20+9)[26]
    listen: (1d20+8)[26]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

"I can take a look!" Navi says, flying down the shaft in a corkscrew motion as the party fashion a harness and sling for Koli with some spare rope. Some minutes later, just as the harness is ready and Koli is strapped into it, Navi returns.

"The root goes straight down about 200ft before turning North!" she reports. "It's not hollow after that, but the chunk of wood we dislodged broke through below into some sort of old stone chamber with an underground stream flowing through it! I didn't see any enemies on my way. Are you all ready to descend?"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While putting on the side of the carriage which fits him, Zippo replied to Nami with a simple Yep!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You want me to carry Koli," Nemi offered to Zippo, "you are probably a better figther than I am and you already have weapons and armour to burden you. I'll carry Koli and you can go first, while I go last."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks a ton, Nemi! I really missed my girl before when we went up -- I'd hate to leave her again!" Nippi gives Koli a good scritching and receives happy face-licking in return. She doesn't seem bothered by the harness arrangement. "Whoozagudgurl, yes, YOU are!"

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi rolled her eyes at Nippi's talking to Koli.
    "Okay, Zippo, you take the lead," she said, "then follows weaver and Nippi and I'll take the rear with Koli. Let's move or we can stand here for the rest of our days."
    And I wouldn't mine taking Nippi's rear, she thought to herself, hiding her blush while checking Koli's harness and making sure it was comfortable for the climb.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

WOW, Nemi, calm down! Zippo signed her with both hands to keep the ball low. You know, we just had a tough fight and rescuing to do and by the way, in Weaver we have a very potent leader already... not knowing he felt uncomfortable with this role

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Mostly blind to the others' interaction, Nippi gets closer to Weaver and comments softly, "I don't think we have enough rope to go all the way down, so it'll be hard to get back up again. Maybe we should leave most of what we've got dangling here -- then at least we'd only have to freehand a little of the way. If Nemi's wasp can't carry us all, I mean." He looks willing to face the challenge but somewhat dismayed there's not a clearer way forward (or downward).

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi took a step back, surprised at Zippo's outburst.
    "Sorry," she said timidly, "I just did what I thought was best."
    She looked at Weaver.
    "Is that okay with you," she asked.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver was peering down the hole, still concerned about the climb as the others chattered. When he heard his name finally, he turned to look at the others, a few of whom seemed to be staring at him. Uncertain what he had missed, he started to stammer a bit. ”Hmm? Wha ... um, yes, I agree it’s, Ah, dark, but I’m not scared either! So, uh, climbing down ... that sounds like a good idea. ”

Frowning for a minute, Weaver looked at Koli and frowned. ”So, uh, Zippo and Nemo are carrying her, right? Guess we should get going. Maybe Navi can, uh, keep an eye out as we climb ... and warn us if critters attack. I’ll take the rear ... to, ah, protect the rear.” . Weaver obviously didn’t realize the others were talking about him.

If Ni wants to lead, that’s cool. Weaver doesn’t necessarily have a talent for it ... it just lets him control his own involvement.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 17; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +4 R +8 W +4 Init: +4 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+7, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones: 18
    Effects: Evasion
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Whoozadugurl? Koli iz a gud gurl! Wow! Who knew?

And so with a little bit of quibbling over the order the party begins its descent, agreeing to leave the ropes attached at the top in case they're needed on the climb back up. As one of the weaker climbers Nippi goes first, with Zippo and then Nemi in the middle to assist if needed and Weaver volunteering to bring up the rear, a situation Nemi apparently finds to her liking.

It's a long and difficult climb with just the rough and crumbly wood of the taproot to complement the dangling rope and the occasional vine or spiderweb, lit only by Navi's soft glow hovering beside you. With the aid of the climber's kit most of you manage competently enough, and Weaver seems to have just the knack for this kind of surface! But Nippi in particular finds it tough, and with him setting the pace up front the going is slow. Koli at least is well behaved, observing the climb from Nemi's back with tongue hanging out and giving every impression of enjoying this strange new activity her master has thought up!

Time passes, you're not sure how much. Your arms and legs all burn from the climb but you keep going, deeper and deeper into the depths of the earth. Things are uneventful. Until just above the knot of the 4th rope.

Nippi, a rotten piece of wood breaks away underfoot and you lose your grip on the rope. What do you do?

Simultaneously 20ft above Weaver reaches into a nook for a hand hold but instead of soft damp wood his hand closes on something dry with hard sharp edges. Whatever it was was very well hidden! It squirms. What do you do?
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-04-13 at 07:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi panics as his footing crumbles, grabbing for anything at all -- Zippo's foot, something on the wall of the cavity, Navi if she's close enough ... this is not one of his clearer-headed moments.

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver snatched his hand out, flinging whatever was in his hand down towards the floor. ”Guh! Uh, guys how you doing? Almost there!” He didn’t see that Nippi had slipped and fallen below him.

Yeesh, that took entirely to long to post!
    Show
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +5
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 2/3; Stones: 18

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi was Climbing slowly, taking care that everything went fine as she had Koli on her back. When she heard Weaver shout, she looked up.
    "Everything okay," she asked, stopping to see if she had to climb up to give some assistance.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Weaver snatches his hand out of the hole, flinging whatever it was hastily downwards! The thing smacks Koli right in the face and clings on, hissing angrily! It's a tiny skulltula! Koli goes nuts! She yelps and barks and struggles, prevented by the harness from pawing it off!

Nemi, you catch Weaver flinch in your peripheral and hear a sudden thwack behind you followed by Koli going berserk! Having a large (comparatively) dog struggling for all she's worth on your back threatens to dislodge your grip! What do you do?

Nippi, you flail around for something, anything to catch on to! Make a reflex saving throw!

Zippo, you spot Nippi start flail just below you. There may be only moments before he starts to fall. Keeping an eye on him was partly your responsibility. Are you going to help him?

Weaver, you may have feelings about the events happening below you, but before you can dwell too much a chorus of angry issues from within the alcove! Not one, not two, not three, but five angry-looking tiny skulltulas crawl out from within their disturbed lair, raising their forelimbs and pedipalps in a threat display! What do you do?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

When there are only moments left, it's time to act! Zippo let off his hold, for a controlled fall - fastest way to get down to Nippi, right? Then he holds himself with one hand on some roots/webs/whatever and with the other hand he grabs after his brother.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have no idea what to roll here... strength? Reflex?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Koli, sit still or we both fall," Nemi shouted. She couldn't see what was going on, but she'd rather not fall. Dropping all pretense of going slow and safe, she moved down as quickly as she could without just dropping. Fisu could drop from great hights without damaging himself, but she couldn't. She was good at Climbing though.

Show

I'm going to climb down as quickly as I can and then drop the harness so I can see what's going on.

climb roll: (1d20+8)[13]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver shivered as a bunch of tiny skulltulas swarmed out. He reach back into his haversack and pulled out some rations, tossing it towards the bugs lair. ”Yeeow! Um, everything’s good, but just wondering ... any more of those fire blasts available?”

Trying to placate the spiders With some food from my endless rations. Will climb down when he can
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Weaver produces a hunk of cuccu jerky from his pack rations and tosses it back into the disturbed nest of skulltulas! The spiders wave their forelimbs threateningly for a few moments more before catching the scent of bird meat, and then they relax, mollified. With only a few backwards glances the spiders retreat back within their nest. Phew! Quick thinking by Weaver!

At the bottom of the group Nippi flails wildly for a rope! A vine! A fairy! "Nippi are y... Eek!" Navi shrieks as Nippi's fist closes around her! A moment later his solid grasp turns to nothing as the fairy reflexively goes insubstantial to save herself! Nippi's final foothold crumbles and he feels himself tumbling into space!

However, even as Nippi starts his headlong plunge, big brother Zippo is on the case! Releasing his grip he allows himself to fall, his swift reactions allowing him to gain on Nippi just before the other Kokiri's final foothold fails! With one hand he grasps Nippi's backpack firmly, with the other he abruptly arresting both their falls using the knot between rope sections! Wow! Heroic!

Nemi's reaction to the spiders and the commotion is also to descend rapidly. But this is really not easy with a dog twice your mass flailing about on your back! With the rope snaking from Zippo's heroics below it twists and leaps and with Koli distorting her centre of mass it's wrenched firmly beyond her grasp! For two heart-stopping seconds Nemi and Koli feel nothing but rushing air before smashing into icy cold waters! Nemi and Koli each take 11 non-lethal damage from the fall! The waters are cold, dark, and deep, with a noticeable current. This would be disorienting, but shimmering firelight reflects off the surface about 15ft what must be above. The only problem is swimming with Koli attached to your back is even harder than climbing as the dog continues to struggle on her own! With the shock of falling and no chance to take a breath Nemi has just seconds to react! What does she do?

Up above, whatever feelings of relief Weaver, Zippo and Nippi may be feeling are dispelled by the realisation that Nemi and Koli have fallen. You all hear the splash as they land somewhere out of sight below.

"Ow," Navi says, massaging a heavily bruised shoulder. "I'll go and see if I can find them. The chamber isn't far now!"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver felt a wave of relief when the skulltulas retreated. As he started to continue down, he glanced below to see his companions spread further apart ... and fewer! Hearing a splash immediately after his observation, and doing something quick mental accounting, Weaver called out, ”Uh ... wh-where’s Nemi and Koli?!” Moving as quick as he could, Weaver started down the rope, anxious to find their friends.

Glad that worked, cuz fighting from a rope didn’t sound like a winning strategy :smallsmile Heading down as quickly as is safe to find Nemi and Koli.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi took a gulp of air just before she went under. As Koli was wriggling on her back, she tugged at the knots to undo them quickly as Weaver had shown her when they made the harnass for the dog. It would stay together, but could be removed quickly.

As soon as the harnass was loose, she tried to swim to the surface to get out.

Show

There exists something called quick-release knots, so I assume that we can have made it like that.

also, swim roll to get to the surface: (1d20+3)[22]
    And if that doesn't work, try to swim to the side where there she feels a surface (bottom) and push herself off on that.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"ThankyouZippo OH DEKU NUTS Koli! LemmegoZippoIgottagetKoli, I have to get her! Uh, sorry, Navi!" Nippi isn't substantially less panicked than before Zippo's heroic rescue -- rope in hand or not, he's ready to get down immediately, the moment Zippo lets go of his pack.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

NO! I go! Zippo replied to Nippi and pulling him a little bit more against the rope and wall. Then, with a dive, he jumped into the water.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Nemi shrugs out of the harness and immediately things are easier! A few powerful strokes later she breaks the surface and takes a much needed breath of air! A moment later Koli surfaces next to her, silly grin illuminated by the shimmering torchlight, enthusiasm apparently undimmed by the heavy fall.

Up above Nippi is distraught by Koli's fall! Struggling against Zippo's hold, Zippo nevertheless tells him No! Pushing Nippi against the vine-covered wall Zippo takes a neat dive in his place. Nippi is in no mood to take well-meant advice, jumping down after Zippo the moment he lets go!

Weaver may be anxious about where his friends have got to, but Navi's quick to reassure him. "Don't worry, it's not far now! I'll stay and light your way! Just promise not to grab me, okay?"

In the chamber below Nemi and Koli are deluged by a pair of enormous splashes about 10ft from where they surfaced. It's fortunate that nobody landed on anyone! Zippo's graceful dive cuts the water effortlessly, but Nippi comes down flailing. Nippi takes 3 non-lethal damage from the impact with the underground river.

The chamber you're in is ancient and originally lined with stone though much of that is now broken down where the Great Deku Tree's tap root came through the high ceiling before curving to the north and exiting through the northern wall. A deep underground river cold as winter bubbles up through the debris in the east, flowing westward along the north wall until exiting through an iron grate in an arched culvert in the west wall. The pieces of the fallen wood stallectite still bobble there against the grating, too narrow to permit their passage or indeed the passage of anything much larger than a rat, and perhaps the pieces contribute to the water level in here being a little higher than usual. The floor of the chamber is very uneven from subsidence or the ancient path of the river, sloping steeply upwards to form a narrow riverbank on the south side of the chamber. In the southeast corner of the room and high and dry above the river level, freshly prepared torches burn in ancient iron braziers either side of an old oak door.

The skulltula that had been clinging tight to Koli slowly floats past Nemi, face down with limp legs splayed, whether dead from the fall or drowned it matters not. When everyone has resurfaced it's easy enough to swim to the southern bank

Overhead a soft blue light slowly descends from above as Weaver picks his way down with Navi watching over him. At the break in the Great Deku tree's root (it's not hollow beyond this point), he is able to transfer from the dangling end of your knotted ropes onto a network of twisted vines and minor roots descending to sample the waters of the underground river. Within a few minutes they make their way down to the chamber floor and Weaver just about manages to rejoin the party without getting his feet wet.

"Wow, that was quite a fall! Is everyone alright?" Navi asks, flitting from Kokiri to Kokiri to dog, checking for any major injuries.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Nemi had managed to get to the side purely on adrenalin. But when she was on dry land, she started to ache all over. There were probably only some bruises or something where the rope of the harnass had cut in her body when they hit the water.
    "Just some bruises," she said to Navi, "anybody else need some healing? And where are we? And who put those torches there?"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

EDIT: just reread the section on non-lethal damage. No healing is needed, it will quickly go away on its own. So editing the post.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by farothel; 2020-04-21 at 12:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Noticing everybody was back save on the surface, Zippo swam with only a few strong strokes back to where he could stand on the ground. After Koli shaked her body, to dry herself, Zippo did the same.

HAHAHAHA This was refreshing!
    It seemed that Zippo was enjoying this short adventure.
    Okeee, Weaver? Where to go next?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver reached the bottom, looking around at his wet companions. ”If you wanted to take a, um ... uh, bath, you should have, ah, said so! Hahahaha ... haha ... ha.” Weaver trailed off as his poorly delivered joke likely fell flat. Clearing his throat, he looked around, eyes focused on the door. He was about to answer Nemi's question when Zippo put him on the spot. Blinking, Weaver looked around again, and then nodded to the door up ahead.

"Obviously we should, ah, go through that door, right? The torches look fresh, so um ... its probably the right way. I mean, definitely where we, ah, need to go. So, let's, um, get moving ...?" He paused, then shifted back and forth rapidly, as if deciding on whether to go or stay. Then he finally turned and headed towards the door.

Boy oh boy ... y'all are in trouble.
    Listen - (1d20+5)[23] and studying to see if there the door is locked

Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Indeed, the torches are fresh," Nemi insisted, "but why are they fresh? And who put them there? Who would ever come here?"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With a sigh, Weaver rubbed the bridge of his nose. ”Um ... I guess ... does it matter right now? I mean, I don't, ah ... but ... well, we should not just stand around. So, ah, let's got this way.” Weaver obviously feels uncomfortable. He doesn't know who lit the torches, but the Great Deku Tree sent them down here on a mission, so this must be part of it, right? Besides, waiting around doesn't seem to answer the question, and he doesn't see anything else to give them clues yet ...

Not sure if that 23 Perception helps answer the question, or give any hints. Also, is there a KS we could roll to know what's under the GDT?
    Show