New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Trying to figure a thing out

Was playing in a pathfinder living world. Some sessions are marked pvp, but if a player has a bounty, then other people can choose to initiate pvp with the bounty person. There was also a system for having duels with peeps, to settle some conflict and do bets or such.

Near end of a session which did not have the pvp tag, My character tried to challenge the bounty person to a duel with condition that if lost they would turn themselves in.

Now the immediate thing that happened was a few minutes of conversation with the bounty person explaining why they did the thing that got them bounty and why they shouldnt be turned in.

Then part way through this, a different player character sneaked up behind my character with a dominate person magic item and then the party handed my character off to a group of apparently paramilitary paladins who then proceeded to torture my character. Note, my character is a lawful neutral wizard with some controlled zombies. Though the paladins did also on sight accuse a summoner of being a demon summoner (calling their eidolon a demon)

And then later when i tried to ask why challenging a person to a duel initiated pvp (again, at that point my character and the bounty person were just talking) (party wide pvp at that) most of the people just answered with "because the dm said so" without answering any of my questions of what my character could have done differently to have a duel under the specific duel system they have without it just going to party wide pvp.

My general question: the ****?
    Last edited by mehs; 2019-08-26 at 04:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Trying to figure a thing out

Rational folk sometimes have trouble figuring out irrational actions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Rational folk sometimes have trouble figuring out irrational actions.
    This times ten. If this were not a thing you experienced this would be a rambling mess. Your character did a formal challenge to someone so he got ganked because OverDM said so and sold to evil paladins of honor (what?). I think you may want to consider a different game at this rate? "Because someone else said so" is a pretty weak justification for anything.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Does the rest of the party like your character? Does the rest of the party like you as a player? This would be an easy way of getting of someone they didn't like and could explain why they'd ship you off even if the plot didn't exactly make sense in narrative terms.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My only answer is to not play in the BS type of situation.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.