New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Tearing of the Weave (IC) Pt 2

William tries to jam or otherwise disable the rotating mechanism but the machinery proves stubbornly resistant to his efforts. Meanwile Temiryl skirts back around to the tower, and after Anthony opens the secret door from the other side she is able to shift several blocks of fallen masonry to prop it open and freely move into (and out of) the secret passageway.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

"And here you are again. Shall we proceed?"
    Kilus gestures forward with the Light on the tip of his bow. "I am ready to be done with this place, although the magic portal...thingie...is not a next step that I look forward to at all."[/COLOR]

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, with a smirk, circles around the back and taps Temiryl on the shoulder. "Well, it was seems like that is that." before looking at Kilus, smirk draining from his face. "Yeah.. that. Best we get on with it if we are going to do it."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl gives a slight start of surprise as Savin taps on her.
    "What? Yes? Oh, I see. Very amusing," she says, clearly completely unamused.

"Okay, let me have a look at this next door... bring that light a little closer, will you?" She moves through the hidden passage to the door and examines it for traps or other alarms.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+12)[20]
    Spot: (1d20+12)[23]
    Search: (1d20+14)[17]

Edit: wow that's bad. Might take a 10 or 20 on that Search check - it's not like we're in a hurry right now.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2020-05-12 at 06:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Temiryl spends some time searching over the door in the secret passage and its surrounds. She doesn't find anything of note, nor hear anything. Eventually she steps aside, and Savin steps up to warily open the door.

Beyond is a small private room, a shrine of sorts. A black wooden disc about 3 foot in diameter surrounded by a ring of purple, symbol of Shar, hangs on the far wall. Below it sits a small altar. On the altar sits a small ceramic lamp and an opened letter. The lamp burns with a flickering dim shadowy light, somewhat illuminating the darkness but also dampening your brighter light in equal part.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

"Can you identify this strange lantern and generally check here for magic?" says Anthony sheathing the sword taking the letter. He takes it outside and reads both what is written on the envelope, if anything, and the actual contents.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Wil steps up to do as Anthony suggests, opening his mind to the currents of magic with a quiet word and a gesture.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    My Spellcraft is +10. If you prefer me to roll, here are some checks:
    (d20+10)[19]
    (d20+10)[30]
    (d20+10)[11]
    (d20+10)[30]
    (d20+10)[16]
    (d20+10)[19]
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus
    "Perhaps we'll find a better clue here. I don't want to travel to some unnatural shadow place."

Spoiler
    Show

K: Religion (1d20+1)[10]
    Spellcraft (1d20+4)[24]
    Last edited by J-H; 2020-05-16 at 11:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

William searches the room for magic, finding nothing. Nevertheless he and Kilus inspect the items that are present. The lamp itself doesn't seem to be particularly special but the oil burning within it is apparently some sort of strange alchemical creation as it emits shadow rather than light as it burns.

Meanwhile Anthony opens the letter and reads it out:

Spoiler: The letter
    Show

knowledges:

religion
    Savin (1d20+2)[17]
    Anthony (1d20+9)[14]
    Kilus (1d20+1)[13]
    William (1d20+12)[19]
    DC15: The Lady of Loss and the Dark Goddess are titles of Shar
    DC18: The Mysteries could be a reference to Mystra, whose titles include Lady of Mysteries

history or local (Cormyr)
    Temiryl (1d20+5)[19]
    Anthony (1d20+2)[13]
    Kilus (1d20+1)[12]
    Anthony (1d20+6)[19]
    Kilus (1d20+1)[20]
    DC15: The Dusk Lord was the ruler of Sessrendale, which Archendale conquered in 1232 DR.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

"I think we've seen all that is there to see." When the others confirm that they are done with the room, Anthony gathers everyone to discuss the findings. He reads the letter again and pulls out Mhair's map. "Morn, do you know the Monastery of the Ebon Dome? It's not necessarily an active monastery, probably old and deserted, somewhere around here." - Anthony points at the monastery marked on the map - "I think we would be much more comfortable going overland than through the shadow passage, that is, if you are able to lead us."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl enters the room and hidden room and looks it over.

"An unusual substance, and potentially useful in the right circumstances," she says, referring to the alchemical lamp oil. "I wonder if they have a supply here somewhere?"

Temiryl proceeds to search the small altar and holy symbol for anything they may conceal, while listening to Anthony read the letter aloud.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 20 on a Search check for 34

Temiryl turns to the others. "This monastery of the Ebon Dome may not be nearby. From what I can remember, travelling through places such as the Shadow Realm can affect time and distance," she says, struggling to recall her lectures on the subject. "The monastery may well be in another country, another continent, or even another world. I have heard that some mages can use shadow passages such as the one described as short-cuts between locations." She shrugs. "While unusual, it is by no means unnatural. I, myself travelled here to Cormyr from Evermeet via a magical portal; a journey over sea and land that would takes weeks, achieved in a smattering of heartbeats."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony nods at Temiryl's words. "Might be so. Hm. Someone named Despayr was told to be led by a shadar-kai to reach the destination, wich suggests that navigating there might be non-trivial. We don't have a shadar-kai at hand, ready and willing to lead us. Might be lucky to procure one on the other side, but, failing that, how we are supposed to find the way there?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

At Temiryl's comment, Savin's eyebrows raise in apprehension. "That sounds both unusual and unnatural to me. I have no interest in going to other worlds. At all." in a no-nonsense voice.

Spoiler
    Show

Chewbacca might need some prodding.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

"Traveling beyond the spirit realm is something I haven't considered, either. That's the domain of wizards...and fools. This plane of shadows sounds unnatural, and not somewhere where I would have my powers."
    Spoiler
    Show

Having a hard time not using my vocabulary on an INT-8 character

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am not saying that it's my preferred course of action, but unless someone else knows where this Ebon Dome monastery is located, the portal is currently the only option available to us as far as I can determine," Temiryl says, feeling a little overwhelmed. "As for how to get there, if we do pass through the shadow portal... well, the letter says that there's a shadow version of this keep on the other side, so maybe we will find directions there? Or maybe we can convince the shadar-kai on the other side that we are converts to the worship of Shar, like the others sent to this keep from the temple in Wheloon? Or capture and charm or threaten them into revealing the location of the monastery? Whatever we choice of action we take, we will have plenty of time to discuss and plan while we rest, something that I am sorely in need of!"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, as those who work with magic continue their discussion, looks about. "Well, if its rest and discussion..." he says as Temiryl wraps up, "this are is fairly defensible, as long as we put blockades in place to deal any interlopers."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Temiryl searches the small shrine and surrounds while everyone talks things through. She doesn't find anything further of interest, and having completed the search you all make your way back past the horses to the gatehouse where your guide, the Purple Dragon troopers, the apprentices, Halish the Mystran cleric and the lizardfolk are all resting and recuperating, the various groups in uncomfortable proximity to each another.

"Monastery of the what?" says Morn, chewing and spitting as he checks over his crossbow. "Never heard of it. If you ask me could be all sort o' ruins in the Swamp here. I ain't never been in this far though. That's only for crazy folk you ain't never goin' to see again."

Overhearing the conversation Ashala also speaks up "Other tribes speak of ruinsss but none near here."

Gathan lumbers over, the former chieftain flexing his great scaled arms as his tail knocks a chair over. He grabs the map with his taloned claw and squints at it looking at it from several angles. "I know these landsss. This drawing is scaleless liesss. There is nothing. No path. No stone place. No humansss." he hands it back roughly, stating simply "They nest in Shadow."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

William sighs. "A discomforting truth. Friends, shall we forge into the depths of the Shadow, or simply dust off our hands and call this a victory?" He mostly keeps his eyes on Anthony, expecting that the Mystran follower may feel a divine calling to continue.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony meets William's gaze. "So far, we have not foiled their plans, we've just raided their two forward bases. So I'll go and I'll welcome anyone fool enough to follow. The alternative course of actions would be to perform more research and procure more help, but I'm afraid we might be pressed for time."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, mood dark, uses his javelin to draw figures in the dirt as the others speak. He knew how foolhardy this was. Spinning the javelin about, he uses the buttend to erase whatever he drew.
    With a heavy sigh and a shake of his head, he says "I left my family only a year or two ago to see what there was to see of the world. I had no idea, or inkling, to see another world. Especially one of shadows. But I like that less than the thought of the mauraders coming and going without a response. And leaving a fight unfinished doesn't sit well with me, either." Looking at the others before settling on Anthony, "Choose your own path without guilt, friends, but I will join our knighly friend here on his crusade." he says, the words slow and forced out.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl assumes an I-told-you-so expression.

"Agreed. This is by no means a victory, we have merely delayed whatever ultimate plans the Sharrans have in place. If we abandon our quest now, the shadow-worshippers could well be back in weeks or even days."

"Having felt the touch of their spell-draining..." she shudders at the memory. "It is not something I would have other practioners of the Art subjected to. I believe our best course of action is to maintain the foothold we have established, rest and recuperate, and learn what we can from the one called Bestra. Then press forward and halt them at their source."
    Last edited by Dexam; 2020-06-01 at 03:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"You'll have my support as well, Anthony. And may our gods' holy light wash away the shadow." William seems pleased at his companions' dedication.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Kilus

"I always laughed at the adventurers who traveled far and challenged the wilds unknowing. And now?" Kilus shrugs and sighs. "I guess that may make me one of them. I suppose we ought to see this through. But perhaps we should rest and commune with the spirits first... in the gatehouse?"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

"The gatehouse would seem most defensible as we make our plans." Once everyone agrees, the lanky northerner moves in and reinspects it for any traps or critters they may have missed. When its been cleared to his satisfaction, he moves to set up a quick barricade of the entrance before stripping of his chain shirt, scratching himself vigorously. Finding his water, he washes his face, hand, and then his body of the grime that covers him. Laying back, he relaxes a bit. "Shadow Realm." he says as he shakes his head to himself before smiling.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Anthony takes time to sort the loot and pack most of it on Purple Dragons' horses, primarily the cheap and/or bulky stuff. As he does, he writes a list of everything so packed. The few things that are not yet identified go to a separate heap to be identified no later than in the morning. He gives all poisoned arrows to the lizardfolk to transport to their smaller cousins who apparently know how to deal with the things. He then writes some other things.

Spoiler: The report
    Show
    Addressed to any Purple Dragons and true followers of Mystra, including Constal Tholl and Tunaster Dranik, including the events fo far and our immediate plans.
    Spoiler: The list of loot and accompanying instructions
    Show
    List of loot (to be finalized)

Instructions:
    1. Everything is to be auctioned shortly after the arrival to Wheloon
    2. Of the proceeds, 1000gp is to be distributed evenly among the four Purple Dragons and the guide that bring it to town
    3. Another 1000gp is to be donated to the temple of Chauntea with personal thanks to Katriana Donohar
    4. The rest is to be put in the bank and await anyone of the following five named individuals to claim it (list of names provided)
    5. If not claimed within one year, the money is to be distributed according the last will(s) attached
    6. Anthony's personal horse(s), along with all their gear and packs, if they are brought to town, are to be stabled and await being claimed by Anthony
    7. If not claimed within one year, they are to be sold, the stables to be paid from the proceeds, and the rest of the proceeds sent to Anthony's parents in Suzail (names and address provided)
    Spoiler: Anthony's last will
    Show
    Anthony wills the wealth to be used to establish a true temple of Mystra in Wheloon in place of the false temple. Tunaster Dranik, a cleric of Mystra, is to be offered the position as the head of the temple.
    Spoiler: Letter home
    Show
    Saying that he is doing well, but going on a dangerous mission in the swamps east of Wheloon. Saying there will be a lot of stories told when he is back to Suzail.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Savin watches as Anthony begins scribbling his notes before moving towards the loot they had liberated. "Well, if we are going to certain danger to some Shadow realm... well, best make use of what we have for now." as he begins rummaging through.

Spoiler
    Show

If no one else is going through this, Savin will take the 9 potions of CLW and 3 potions of CMW.
    Also, there is a vest of resistance... I think. Looks like it was Temiryl's. If can, he'll take that, too.

Someone should probably take the scroll of restoration. Savin can't use it but he'll take it in case needed and someone who can cast it can use it.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Savin marshals the Purple Dragons soldiers to help him clear out the gatehouse and set it up for a safe nights rest. Equipment is stripped and piled in an orderly fashion for Anthony to work through.

While the remains of the undead are unceremoniously dumped in a corner of the courtyard outside the 'fresher' bodies have clearly caught the attention of the hungry & malnourished lizardfolk. After much squealing and shrieking in disgust from the wizard's apprentices the lizardfolk are sent away to nourish themselves out of sight and out of earshot, eventually returning more energized to rest near the fireplace.

As well as his quartermaster skills Anthony spends some time tending to the bewitched cleric, using his faith to help his fellow Mystran overcome his enchantment.

Spoiler: some info
    Show
    Halish (1d20+8)[28]
    Halish (1d20+8)[25]

Still to do: questioning of Bestra & prep for Upside Down! Gathan is itching to go crack some skulls.

The other lizardfolk captives (incl Ashala) intend to gather their tribe to secure the fort.

The night will pass uneventfully. Feel free to post if you wish. I'll try to update again tonight.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

The unconscious & badly injured Sharran priestess, Bestra, is restrained by the soldiers as Temiryl casts her charm spell. Even near death Temiryl senses that the woman has a strong mind and has resisted the attempted enchantment.

Spoiler: saves
    Show

casting twice I presume?

charm person vs Bestra Will DC15
    (1d20+10)[29]
    (1d20+10)[18]

Bestra stable but still in negative hp. Unarmed & unarmoured.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Having spent a cantrip to confirm that Halish should be in his right mind, Anthony wakes him up.

"Back with us, friend? Sorry for not letting you sleep, but I had to improve the chances that my magic will work, and now we plan to tackle this shadow portal real soon. Can you give us advice or any other valuable information you might have overheard or otherwise discovered? I plan to leave these three youngsters in your care. One of them is free from domination and two others are not. Cast Resurgence on them while they are asleep and they'll come to their senses, if maybe with more than one try."

Spoiler
    Show
    With those rolls, I believe a single Resurgence is enough to free him of the enchantment.

Also, any luck with monocling the portal? Anthony can even do that himself now that it is the morning.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Temiryl helps with the sorting of the equipment and securing of the gatehouse, trying her best to keep the sounds of the starving lizardfolk "replenishing their strength" from her keen elven hearing.

After several failed attempts to enchant the Sharran priestess, Temiryl turns to the others. "Her training and devotion are too strong for me," she says dejectedly. "And now I am exhausted. I can perhaps try again in the morning, once I have had time to rest, but that may also leave me less prepared to face whatever lies on the other side of that portal. That said, whatever information we might be able to glean could be more valuable than an extra spell or two." Temiryl takes a bite of food and chews slowly, staring into the fire. "What does everyone else think? I can also attempt to use the Artificer's Monocle on the portal in the morning - it is best suited for the analysis of magical items, and I do not know if the portal is a magical construction or some kind of enduring spell."