New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1177 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    The pine thing I think is to do with the look of a pine cone. And apple is probably just the taste. They really don't taste like rhubarb, pairs or other English fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Like someone said earlier, "apple" used to mean "fruit" (Old English æppel "apple; any kind of fruit; fruit in general,"). A pineapple is the fruit that looks sort of like a pine cone. It's a logical name.
    So, basically:
    When pinneapples were discovered by Europeans, the english world for "Pine Cone" was "Pineapple". They called pineapples that way because they resembled pine cones, who were called pineapples back then.

The etymology is the same in Spanish. I'd say the english got it from us as we discovered pineapples before them, but I'm uncertain.

Ananas comes from the native guarani world for the fruit. Some french dude who lived in the middle of the XVI century, for some reason thougth it was a good idea to found a french colony in Brazil in blatant violation of the Treaty of Tordesillas. A french missionary who lived there learnt the world from the natives while studying the local flora. After the colony got burnt to the ground by the portuguese, he got back to Paris and wrote a book about his exploits, and so the word was introduced to the french language. From there it spread to many european languages. (By the way, the portuguese word for pineapple, "abacaxi", also comes from guarani, meaning "plant that cuts").

And now we are a bit more cultured and will never be able to eat a pineapple again without thinking about this thread.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-08-27 at 02:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Elasmotherium? It had slightly longer legs than regular rhinos - but would still have looked much more like a (very furry) rhino than like a horned horse IMO.
    Sorry, I forgot a "do" in my post. It's easier to think of a horned horse when seeing Elasmotherium than when seeing a rhino. Because of the fur.

It should also be noted that the criterion for "horse-like" seems to have been runs on all four in ancient times. This observation based solely on "swamp horse" hippopotamus.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-27 at 02:45 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You make an excellent case for revolting against morning DJs.
    What if morning DJs are already revolting?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I had a big ass issue with multiverse theory because to me the word "universe" meant "everything that is", so having several would be nonsensical. Then I realised it didn't bother me in the slightest that atoms can be dismantled in smaller parts despite the etymology of the word explicitly indicating they shouldn't, and now I'm cured of my prescriptivism.
    I'm being facetious, I was comparimg pineapple to other bad English names like unicorn and camelopard. As Peelee said, Rhinos aren't always even mono horned.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-27 at 02:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

No, but I'd expect all unicorns to have one. "Two-horned horned-noses" and "one-horned horned-noses" make sense. "Two-horned one-horn" doesn't.
    Because it was not uncommon for artists to simplify their life and not have to deal with perspective by having the horns be behind one another. So a creature with two horns was represented as having a single one. And the Greeks, not having seen the original, might have seen this and called it monoceros.

Thus spoke Asimov, anyway, on an essay about the creation of unicorns.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I had a big ass issue with multiverse theory because to me the word "universe" meant "everything that is", so having several would be nonsensical. Then I realised it didn't bother me in the slightest that atoms can be dismantled in smaller parts despite the etymology of the word explicitly indicating they shouldn't, and now I'm cured of my prescriptivism.
    If you ever need to remind yourself against prescriptivism, open a book on semantics sometime and look into quantifiers such as “every,” “all,” “some,” and so on. Even in regular language, “every” doesn’t always mean “every last one in the cosmos.” Quantifiers have a scope (which is sometimes maddeningly vague). “Every student passed the exam,” for instance, clearly delimits the scope to those students who (possibly recently) took the exam, but not all beings now or ever described as students throughout all of past time.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-08-27 at 02:53 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    So, basically:
    When pinneapples were discovered by Europeans, the english world for "Pine Cone" was "Pineapple". They called pineapples that way because they resembled pine cones, who were called pineapples back then.
    I remember that. Now, a pineapple cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Anyway, the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Like they've got faces made for radio or something?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I guess this strip goes into the "Some Anvils Need To Be Dropped" section, under "necessary reminder that Evil-aligned gods and characters are still self-centered a-holes at heart and don't deserve to be held up as being cool".

Seriously, there seems to be this trend among popular media, in recent years, to worship a-holes and villains above the heroes and positive role models. I find it unhealthy on many levels, but I digress.
    I think it's important to note that it's totally possible to find the villains cool and fun to watch, but still acknowledge that they are evil. Darth Vader is cool and confident, but he's definitely the bad guy. Loki in the Avengers is hilarious and dangerous at the same time, and it's fun to wonder what he's plotting, but you still want the heroes to overcome and win.

Bad guys always get the best costumes and the coolest lines. And I think to some extent they almost have to start out better/cooler/stronger/smarter than the heroes, because that way the heroes can't just curb stomp them. They need to be something to be overcome, and that leads to a lot of characters that are bad people but fun to watch.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Too much to bet, the next comic might be IFCC offering something to Hel?
    What sort of offer did you have in mind? All I've come up with is "Have your vampire(s) do something for us and we'll give you the souls in our inbox", which seems quite slim.

10. - Top - End - #310

What sort of offer did you have in mind? All I've come up with is "Have your vampire(s) do something for us and we'll give you the souls in our inbox", which seems quite slim.
    Could they even do that much? It seems to me the souls in their inboxes probably aren't theirs to trade any more than the Blue Cross remittances in my inbox are mine to take.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Could they even do that much?
    It does seem like a slim chance of them having rights over slim pickings, doesn't it?

12. - Top - End - #312

It does seem like a slim chance of them having rights over slim pickings, doesn't it?
    Ah, what the hell, slim's my middle name.

I'm Murtaugh and you're Riggs, right?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    And I think to some extent they almost have to start out better/cooler/stronger/smarter than the heroes, because that way the heroes can't just curb stomp them. They need to be something to be overcome, and that leads to a lot of characters that are bad people but fun to watch.
    I'll just say... Saitama. (Ok, I now, he's a parody, but still)
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It should also be noted that the criterion for "horse-like" seems to have been runs on all four in ancient times. This observation based solely on "swamp horse" hippopotamus.
    River horse. Potamos is "river", hence "Mesopotamia" (between rivers).

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Rivers are just fast moving swamps, I say!
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

For those who cannot compartmentalize, attempting to understand those who can may be very difficult.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, what the hell, slim's my middle name.
    I'm not sure what else the IFCC would have to offer Hel; soul splices have a complication in that the soul in a vampire is imprisoned.

Will Loki not to turn. Power of positive thinking.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

They move to late night and then to Sirius radio (HS as an example)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
    And the Greeks, not having seen the original, might have seen this and called it monoceros.
    Thus spoke Asimov, anyway, on an essay about the creation of unicorns.
    I seem to recall Peter S. Beagle's "The Last Unicorn" story also referring to a monoceros, but it's been nearly 40 years since I read it.

@Jasdoif: as I read the IFCC, Hel may be part of the problem, not part of the solution, even though their real target is the good gods.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-27 at 08:14 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So, if you get caught between two rivers, you can say you have been Mesopotamed?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    So, if you get caught between two rivers, you can say you have been Mesopotamed?
    Just be wary of the Mesopotamus.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    He doesn't sacrifice her. If the plan succeeds the world won't end so there's no more risk of her starving to death between worlds and no further risk of the snarl escaping and killing everyone including Hel. So it's for her own good, really.
    True, it would keep her malnourished and miserable. But Loki didn't get her in that position to lock away the snarl. So no sacrifice there.

The only thing he is now sacrificing is her scheme to grab supreme power. If the plan fails and the world end's without her plot succeeding it might kill her, but risking her life is not the same as sacrificing her.
    So it's not that he doesn't want her to die in vain - he doesn't want her to die period.
    If the thing with the dark one works and this world lasts indefinitely, there's no telling how far downwards Hel will spiral if she went from 'able to survive the time between worlds' to 'maybe not able to do that' in just a thousand years.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    If the thing with the dark one works and this world lasts indefinitely, there's no telling how far downwards Hel will spiral if she went from 'able to survive the time between worlds' to 'maybe not able to do that' in just a thousand years.
    The calendar OotS uses is based on some great kingdom's founding, it doesn't correspond to the world's founding or the technology level accurately (think Chrono Trigger's Guardia calendar being based on Guardia's founding).

The calendar is 1184~5 years old, but the world itself is probably a couple thousand years old based on Thor's comments.

Regardless, unless the bet is broken she will die one way or another (bet being broken includes smashing this world and immediately building a new one)

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #323

The (Northern) calendar dates from the founding of That Kingdom. No idea how things are numbered for South and West.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

The (Northern) calendar dates from the founding of That Kingdom. No idea how things are numbered for South and West.
    True. The South has their own calendar (though possibly the same year give or take a few months), and the Western continent probably changes calendars every couple empires.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What do you mean, recent? Ain’t nobody reading Jonhattan Harker. Tell people ‘‘Professor Aronax’’ and you get blank stares, but when you say ‘‘Captain Nemo’’ you get ‘‘Oh, the cool submarine dude’’.

Villains have been more popular than heroes pretty much ever since villains were allowed to be characters rather than plot devices.
    I'm not saying it's never been done in works of fiction before, just that there's been a trend in popular media lately (i.e. last decade or two) glorifying "dark and edgy" and it's been overdone to the point that there seem to be works where every character of any prominence is just varying shades of "evil a-hole".

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    I think it's important to note that it's totally possible to find the villains cool and fun to watch, but still acknowledge that they are evil. Darth Vader is cool and confident, but he's definitely the bad guy. Loki in the Avengers is hilarious and dangerous at the same time, and it's fun to wonder what he's plotting, but you still want the heroes to overcome and win.

Bad guys always get the best costumes and the coolest lines. And I think to some extent they almost have to start out better/cooler/stronger/smarter than the heroes, because that way the heroes can't just curb stomp them. They need to be something to be overcome, and that leads to a lot of characters that are bad people but fun to watch.
    Even then, Vader never really eclipsed Luke, Leia, Han and the rest. There were awesome heroes matched up against a badass villain. Same deal with Loki vs. Avengers, it was the first time in the MCU there had been that much of a crossover. That said, the MCU overdid Loki to the point that his adoring fandom started to excuse his every move just because he was pretty and charismatic (sounds a lot like Tarquin, really).

IMO, the trend just seems to be overdone now to the point that Infinity War was
    Spoiler
    Show
    basically nothing but Thanos nigh-effortlessly curbstomping everybody for nearly three hours straight, even though yes, I know it was all intended as setup for Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    For those who cannot compartmentalize, attempting to understand those who can may be very difficult.
    Exactly my point; fans and works of fiction are failing to compartmentalize and letting "OMG so cool!" override the understanding that villainous characters are hateful a-holes at heart. I have to say I'm glad that the Giant is capable of making characters compelling while still inescapably demonstrating that being evil is not actually a cool thing.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    basically nothing but Thanos nigh-effortlessly curbstomping everybody for nearly three hours straight, even though yes, I know it was all intended as setup for Endgame.
    Infinity War was less Infinity War (that is to say, the war over the Infinity Stones), and more
    Spoiler: Pleasant Fun Times
    Show
    Thanos Semi-cidal murder time

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not saying it's never been done in works of fiction before, just that there's been a trend in popular media lately (i.e. last decade or two) glorifying "dark and edgy" and it's been overdone to the point that there seem to be works where every character of any prominence is just varying shades of "evil a-hole".
    Sure...
    This seems more like a cyclic thing to me, the public gets bored of shiny-perfect heroes and so starts favoring anti-heroes and gritty settings, the popularity of which spawns more and more cynical works until the public find those dim and cliché and starts reading more and more idealistic works, rinse, repeat and adjust for current socio-political mood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well he is the movies's (vilain) protagonist, so it only makes sense.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #328
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, um... I don't recall the bet that Loki and Hel were discussing. Can someone enlighten me, perhaps a quick summary or a reference to the particular strip(s) in question?

(and I registered just to ask about that!)
    Just pretend there's something witty and/or profound, here. Makes things easier on all of us.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sure...
    This seems more like a cyclic thing to me, the public gets bored of shiny-perfect heroes and so starts favoring anti-heroes and gritty settings, the popularity of which spawns more and more cynical works until the public find those dim and cliché and starts reading more and more idealistic works, rinse, repeat and adjust for current socio-political mood.

Well he is the movie's (villain) protagonist, so it only makes sense.
    The heroes don't have to be "shiny-perfect", the difference is that they've lately either been made disproportionately crappy jerkass nominal-protagonists or sometimes just non-existent to focus on these tropes instead.

As for a cycle, it's been a pretty prolonged swing of "dark and edgy" one-upmanship for a while now, which pretty much dates straight back to the cultural shock of 9/11, at least in the Western context.

If a hero did what Thanos did in Infinity War, they would have been labelled a Mary Sue far and wide and the movie would have been lambasted as an utterly boring snoozefest. But no, the fandom reaction seems to be "he's so cool" and excusing his "kill half of everything" genocidal plan for some warped idea of environmental protection as a result.

Anyways, like I first said, I digress. Back to dozens of pages of debate over random OotS plot minutiae?
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese Wizard View Post
    So, um... I don't recall the bet that Loki and Hel were discussing. Can someone enlighten me, perhaps a quick summary or a reference to the particular strip(s) in question?

(and I registered just to ask about that!)
    Welcome to the forums!

The bet is essentially between Hel and Thor, as brokered by Loki, though it arguably applies to all gods due to affecting all dwarves.

Hel loses the ability to make clerics among the living, but gets default access to all dwarven souls. There is an exception for those who die with honor.

Thor gains and loses nothing, but needs to compare how many souls he has versus the amount Hel gets, and then the one with more souls wins something (possibly a portion of the souls obtained).

-Squire Doodad