New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/SoM/PoW IV: With A Vengeance (or 2 if they're on sale)

Spoiler: Akaash
    Show
    This is a gynosphinx, and you know that, like all sphinxes they have a fondness for riddles. They also have an ability to create long lasting runes (symbol spells: fear, pain, persuasion, sleep, stunning) if that have various effects, though they can only ever have one up at a time. They also have innate knowledge of language and magic, as well as the ability to pierce some illusions (constant comprehend languages, read magic, detect magic, and see invisibility), and are known for being sources of knowledge (clairvoyance/clairaudience, locate object, legend lore)... assuming they don't decide you'd be better as a snack.

Oh, and one more thing that's vitally important: they hate that term 'gynophinx'. Calling them 'true sphinxes' will do much to keep you in their favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/SoM/PoW IV: With A Vengeance (or 2 if they're on sale)

"Hello, I'm Goma." he says with a cordial wave.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

"I do not believe I have had the pleasure of meeting a true sphinx before."

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

"Guardian of Lore, Keeper of Secrets Against the Unworthy, Mighty Sphinx .... it is an honor. Tell me of the Golden Bowl, that I may know the proper forms and customs so as not to give offense."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Alssariq raises an eyebrow at Malak's sesquipedalian introduction, but doesn't comment. Instead, he gives a short wave from the back. "It's a pleasure, I'm sure. mind if I ask, who's the statue of?"

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

The sphinx sits, a wry smile on her lips. "Oh, those were of Nethys once upon a time, but that was long, long ago. Back then this was his temple, but he and most everyone else has left these lands long since. Which makes travelers such as yourselves such an oddity. What brings you here?"

7. - Top - End - #337

Malak, himself seeming to be a very copy of Nethys as the elements play over his seemingly ruined body, steps forth. "We have a missive dire for the master or mistress of this demesne. A sphinx is not a guard dog, but a majestic protector of lore. Have you a riddle we must overcome to prove our worth, or is our earnestness in simply having braved the challenges in coming here enough to earn us audience?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-09-10 at 11:52 PM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, riddles" the sphinx says, rolling her eyes. "Is that all you think us sphinxes enjoy?" She smiles despite herself. "Still, if you want a sphinx's riddle, I suppose I can oblige.

I make blind eyes see and seeing eyes blind. What am I?"

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

”The answer is ‘light’ isn’t it?” Rowan says to the sphinx, “Most without darkvision can’t see without it, but when too bright it is blinding.”

10. - Top - End - #340

Malak nods, agreeing with the answer to the riddle and Rowan's justification for it.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

The sphinx has a wry smile on her face, but before she can respond, a form emerges from one of the nearby pillars. A voluptuous, golden skinned woman steps out, her tone chiding as she speaks "Enough of your fun, Zulfiquar. Need I remind you that you serve Ohberk now, not your ancient tongue-twisting traditions?" She then turns annoyedly at the party. "And you lot: what is your business in the Golden Bowl? Out with it!"

12. - Top - End - #342

"We seek an audience with Oberhak for dire news," says Malak. "Also, this is the second place I've been to now that where a hostess or gatekeeper has failed to introduce herself, the offense being doubled here, though now we know your name, Zulfiqar," he nods in deference to the sphinx. "Are you so beleagered with an immortality of constant door-knockers that the old rules no longer apply? I am Malak, formerly of many names, but now just one."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Malak having answered the question posed, Akaash stands by.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think they're just out of practice." Alssariq quips, not especially caring if his aside is rude. Return like with like, after all. "It's been a few years since the big wizard was home to play with them, they're probably pretty bored."

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

It takes a bit of finagling, but you do manage to convince the shaitan (who goes by the name Iqilma) to talk to her master and arrange a meeting. She asks you return here tomorrow at dawn to obtain an audience with Obherak. As you turn to leave yourselves, the sphinx turns back . "It matters not, as our game was interrupted, but for the record?" She smiles a row of sharp teeth at you. "That wasn't the answer."

The following morning, you return to find that Iqilma was as good as her word, as you see a quite tanned man, with obsidian spikes growing both from his shoulders as well as his head, functioning as a very sharp hairdo. He harrumphs as he sees your approach. "So. I hear you want to speak with me." He then spreads his arm, as if to say. 'Well, get on with it.'

If there's anything you'd have wanted to do in the ~14 hours between your visits and/or wish to say to the Shaitan leader, now is the time.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-09-23 at 01:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash passes the time in mild annoyance at the wait, begrudging the lost time and his lack of anything useful to do to fill it. Once presented, he waits for a more diplomatic ally to speak.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma tries to keep his mind off of the potential destruction going on back home by making a primative necklace for Lark. After, he rests up. It's been a busy day.

Spoiler: Craft: Jewelry
    Show
    (1d20+11)[19]

18. - Top - End - #348

As it is, Malak looks practically like the very artist renditions of Nethys, but now as he stands before the sultan he is even more decked out besides his strange elemental occlusions. He wears an ornately wrapped turban fixed with a bright diadem .... his neck is bedecked with a beautiful and long necklace of flowers .... the outer part of his armor is covered in polished plates of gleaming stone .... his eyes are piercing and flash red ... and in many ways not unlike a scepter of authority, he marks every other step with a percussive knock of his pitch black scythe's haft against the ground. When once he stops before Obherak, he lets one final knock of wood on stone occur, echoing across the various stone surfaces of the fane's entrance.

"I am Malak, servant of Nethys, formerly of many unnecessary mortal names," he begins. In the manner of a great lord with servants, he does not acknowledge those with him, for it is enough that they are there. "You ruled a fine kingdom once, my Obsidian Sultan, but soon your demesne will be but dust. Jhavhul's explosive escape from Kakishon has ensured that the magic holding all together will soon unravel. Hatred of the architects of chaos will not stop it. Demands and punishments and threats attempted or levied against us will not turn this fate. Your world, and all that you rule, will soon come to an end. You must abdicate your crumbling throne and leave, or you will die for pride. Let us find the way out together and help me stop the one who has really done this to you: Jhavhul. Once his smoldering, wreaking corpse is no more a threat to you or your people, then we can find a way for you to rule a more lasting empire whose foundations were not so poorly wrought."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-09-26 at 08:56 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Alssariq winces when Malak dares to call the private domain of a legendary archmage 'poorly made' and his eyes shift nervously left and right, as if Nex might be standing there listening. He's not, of course, and Alssariq makes no move to interrupt the conversation.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Obherak shakes his head. "Heh, I see you've already talked to the Proteans, then. Well, I guess it's up to me to tell you: you've been handed a false bill of goods." He stands a bit straighter, a wry smile on his face as he continues. "It's true that this world isn't as powerful as it once was, but it's not in any danger of collapse. It's just far enough gone that the Proteans can't escape it without dissolving the plane first. That's why they set you all after me; me and my folk aren't native to Kakishon, so they can't destroy it with us present. Like rocks on a blanket, they can't unravel it with us here."

He then paused, bringing his hand to his chin. "But this is old news. What of you? What did they promise you if you were to be their middlemen?"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-09-29 at 03:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351

"We have been offered a means to leave Kakishon," Malak says, "but it seems you desire an empire with no subjects."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-09-29 at 03:29 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Hearing Obherak say that the demi plane is not in danger of unraveling itself, Rowan shrugs to himself. He doesn't personally have the expertise to say one way or the other. When asked what they want though or what they were promised, Rowan thinks back and says, "Honestly I think we were just promised a way out of this demi-plane? We have a bit of a worry that our homes will be significantly more on fire than we left them if we tarry here to long."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Obherk chuckled. "Oh, that." he smirked. "Well, if that's your price, I, too, can pay it. Come, I'll even show you how." And with that, her turns, intent on leading you deeper into his sanctum.

Do you follow?
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-09-29 at 03:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354

Malak smiles, "We have only the will to follow where your eminence leads."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wouldn't be against having this realm around for a vacation destination, and I appreciate any assistance you'd offer us, but aren't you going to set us against the Proteans? Won't they continue trying to 'evict' you when we're gone?" Goma says with more than a bit of concern in his voice.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

As he turns, he stretches out his arms and the whole platform you are on begins to shake for a second before it begins to float downward you are drawn deeper inside the mountain. "Oh, yes. It's up to you to end this stalemate, one way or the other. But I can back up my claim."

As you descend, you get a better look at the chamber you are now in. It was though you were in the middle of two hollow ziggurats fitted together at the base, the blocky pyramid extending both above and below. Around the edge at the midpoint you see a quartet of hallways at the center of each 'face', that themselves open into a trio of rooms. However, in the exact center you see a large stone octohedron, each face ten foot tall and covered in tiny glowing runes in Terran. "This" Obherak says. "Is the Earth Seed. It's one of four that Nex used to make this place, all those years ago. However, the other three were cracked in the intervening years, leaving this one as the only functioning one left. With it, we can open a portal back to the scroll itself." He wags a finger as he continues "And by we, I mean those of us with a connection the the elemental plane of Earth, so don't go thinking it'll be of use to you if you back the Protheans."

27. - Top - End - #357

Malak has a look of scholarly awe. "Yes, yes, there had to have been others like it .... fire, air, water. But earth has always been the strongest and most stable, so it makes sense it would have survived the years." He looks to Oberhak and points towards the seed. "Do you mind if I take a closer look at it, Mighty Oberhak?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Obherk's eyes narrow. "You may observe it with your eyes and whatever passive magicks you have available, but that is all. My patience has its limits; you will not like what you find on the other side of it." He does bring the platform adjacent to it for the inspection, however.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-09-30 at 02:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash studies the stone and the runes. "And the damaged stones, could they be repaired? having more than one point of failure would be beneficial."

30. - Top - End - #360

With perfect ease of flight as any djinn, Malak simply flies, carried aloft almost as if on an elevator or platform as his body is in the same standing position as when on ground, and he floats about to better study the earth seed.
    Show