New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/SoM/PoW IV: With A Vengeance (or 2 if they're on sale)

Heading to the top of the spire, you see the remains of what once was a summit chamber, used to hold meeting in the distant past. Now it has collapsed in on itself, and the only thing of note are the crystalline formations that have grown from the ground here. You find five of these crystals, no doubt the "flint" you were told about. They come free with a modicum of effort and you return to the group.

As you head back down the mountain, the more scholarous of you determine that they were formed as a strange reaction to the AMF, and that they might be used to make magical weapons, though the exact details may change depending on who is smithing them. Eventually you pass out of the antimagic field, your powers returning to their normal strength. As you make your way towards the other side of the island, you begin to feel the incredible heat coming from the tunnel into the forges; you'll probably want some sort of protection from the heat if you want to press forward.

What's the plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire SoP/SoM/PoW IV: With A Vengeance (or 2 if they're on sale)

Though the forces of creation and the elements provides Malak with protection from the elements, yet it wasn't always so, and Malak untintentionally desires for protection from the searing heat. A shimmering aura of azure energy surrounds his feet and calves, and his step is lighter as a result.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    He has unlocked the Lavawalker's Boots veil at full 4E, gaining +8 resist acid/ fire. Note that like with Beltin in your game, veil-based energy resistance specifically stacks (does not overlap) with basic, so his final is Resist acid 17, fire 17.

Though unlocked because of Discovery Event, he never shaped his veils for the day, so he will not have access to his discovered/ known veils.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-06-24 at 10:20 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

"I fear calling up a wind would turn the heat into some kind of blast oven rather than cooling it to comfortable temperatures."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

"And it feels so nice out here. Oh well, I'll be setting my armor aside again. Don't want to broil in the armor that's supposed to protect me." Goma grumbles a bit as he removes his plate mail and sets it in the boat.

He pulls his Goblet of Quenching from his pack. "We can pass this around if the heat gets to be too much."

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    He pulls his Goblet of Quenching from his pack. "We can pass this around if the heat gets to be too much."
    Malak indicates Shahrazad with some paternal care.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Feeling the temperature rise, Rowan is better off then most, but still asks, "Other than my hereditary traits, I have no other defences from the heat here. I don't suppose we have much magical assistance to tide us over or else it would have been offered by now. I suppose we must trudge on the best we can and see what comes of it."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nothing that would help here." Alssariq says, the waves of heat starting to overcome even the desert-dweller. "I'd guess it best to just start running and make it through as fast as we can."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash shrugs. "I suppose soaking ourselves with water from the sea there will provide some minimal help."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Shaharazad raises her hand. "Or I could use some Alteration magic to make all of us heat resistant."

10. - Top - End - #280

Malak nods and smiles, ever pleased in his cohort's usefulness (though he shouldn't need it himself).
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

”Alright then. Let’s get heat resistance to those who need it, looking at you Goma, and let’s get searching for the smith.” Rowan says to Shaharazad’s suggestion.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash pauses, then nods, "Yes, that would do nicely, thank you."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma stops mid way through removing his armor as he's lifting his chest plate over his head. "Oh, yeah that could work. You know, if you want to do it the easy way." He slowly slips his armor back into place.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

"Probably the less-painful way to handle it, yes." Alssariq quips. Once he is heat-resistant, he'll start moving behind Goma.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

After a few seconds, Shaharazad manages to apply the heat treatment to the party as you head deep into the mountain. It takes about a half hour, but eventually, the tunnel ends in a pair of red-hot metal gates, embossed with the seal of Nex. Framing it on each door is a figure of a dwarf hard at work, a hammer in one hand and a piece of metal in the other, waiting to be struck. The doors do not appear to be locked, but they are do doubt incredibly heavy. It'd take a DC 20 Strength check to push them open. Of course, they are red hot, so they might do you a fair bit of damage before they swing open.
    Spoiler: map
    Show
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-07-12 at 03:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Looking cautiously at the glowing metal door before them, Rowan thinks for a moment before asking, "So, as much as I know Goma wants to throw himself bodily at the vertical door shaped frying pan before us, I feel I must ask if I should not just teleport us to the other side of the door?"

Spoiler: Logistics
    Show
    I only see the party + Sharazard* but isn't oddity also counted as a creature? Either way, for 2 SP I can send 5 targets to the other side of the door at once. so 4 SP should be plenty for the group. Getting back though will require actually opening the things or resting in this super hot area for SP replenishment. Not sure what the group wants to do.

*I know it's Shaharazad I like it better when it rhymes with Charizard

17. - Top - End - #287

Malak replies to Rowan, "Makes sense to me."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash nods, "Indeed. Hopefully we will not be required to make a rapid exit."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well sure, if you want to do it the easy way. I suppose I'll allow it." Goma says with a smile.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Getting a majority, Rowan begins to cast his magic. Arcane gestures are weaved with his fingers and words of power drip from his lips as he rips space asunder and pushes his allies through the aperture.

Rowan then repeats the cast on himself.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    2 Sp to group unseeing teleport the 5 other than Rowan to the space on the other side of the door. Then 1 Sp to send himself over.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Upon teleporting inside, you see a large L-shaped room. Going down the center of the room are a line of metal columns, just as hot as the doors you teleported past. On the walls are dozens if not hundreds of weapon racks, though most of them are empty (I won't bother listing them unless you ask). Of note you are in the corner of the L, and you see that the doors you circumvented were not the only ones you need to pass; a second set on the other side of the L lead deeper into the mountain.

Do you try and teleport again, or do you try to push these open?
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-07-16 at 04:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

"Not exactly rolling out the red carpet, are they?"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't like how many of these weapons are missing. That does not bode well."

Goma hooks a thumb toward the doors. "I have a feeling that getting these open is going to hurt one of us a lot. I also have a feeling that I'm going to be that someone."

While the rest of the party evaluates their options, Goma snuffles around to get an idea of what was here most recently.

24. - Top - End - #294

"If you need help, Goma, I will assist you in opening the doors," says Malak.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Rowan looks to the glowing red metal doors and thinks on his resistance to fire before shaking his head. He would be fine fishing something out of a campfire but even he would balk at shoving his arm into a furnace. "Well... Good luck to you both! I will be here to heal you up afterwards if you need it!" Rowan encourages from a distance.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

"We want to just teleport past them too? If we have to expend effort to heal, may be just as costly with less discomfort."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

"There may be other doors or we might need to get back through here in a hurry. I can stand a brief trial by fire if it means that Rowan can preserve his power for an emergency."

28. - Top - End - #298

Malak nods. "Agreed. Let's deal with this trial, knowing that we don't know how many more they may be."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Between the two of them, they are able to push both sets of doors open without any notable damage. The same cannot be said of the chamber inside. It's a very large, with fumaroles scattered along the ground and a waterfall of magma coming from the back wall. The air here is so hot that just breathing it in burns and you can feel yourself sweat even with 'Zad's heatproofing magic. Those without fire resistance or some other way to mitigate the constant damage it deals should exercise extreme caution in venturing further.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

"Wish we had just sent a letter instead." Akaash quips, unease at this location growing.