Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 339
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    The group eventually disperses, each going to their own tasks.

    Spoiler: Dharmesh and Tolben
    Show
    You find Cho wandering a back road in eastern Andoran, singing a sweet love song in Celestial. The singing stops as you show up, and after you explain things, so does the smiling. But she agrees to help, saying that the danger is far too great to stand idle, and comes with you to Axis.

    Once there, Dharmesh pays the relatively trivial entrance fee for the three at one of the main libraries in the infinite city. Once inside, actually finding anything proves to be rather more of a challenge than it might appear. The library is 121 floors of stacks, all neatly organized but in ways that do not always make it easy to find things related to a specific topic. The directory alone takes up one entire floor. But over days of labor, augmented by magical support, you slowly drag answers from the stacks.

    The Primordials are a topic hinted at, slyly suggested, rather than approached head-on. But you piece things together, consistencies among the veiled references and hints. They are beings that are mortal and simultaneously more-than-mortal, something greater than the flesh and blood of their bodies. Though they have a mortal shell, they are also tapped into primal forces, concepts, raw energies of creation. They are ancient - dating back to long before the beginnings of humanoid life, in the early days of the Material plane. They are all beings of the Material, though many are conduits to planar energies from other planes. They are not outsiders, though their nature varies widely beyond that, including magical beasts, undead, oozes, and plants. Some are no smarter than a slow human, while others have an intellect to shame a cunning wyrm.

    Many of the books reference another specific one, The Book of Coming Forth. On the fourth day, deep in the bowels of the seventy-third floor, you finally find a copy, buried in the stacks. It proves to be a surprisingly slim volume, written in Abyssal. Inside, the bulk of it is a list of the known Primordials. None of them have names, or if they do, those names are so ancient as to be known only to the old gods. But they have titles, some of them with a description, most only tantalizing hints. Stormbringer, which sounds embodies the raging sea and sounds suspiciously like the Leviathan you killed, is listed as one of the weaker ones. The Shadow You Cast In Brightest Light is apparently an embodiment of darkness and shadows, linked to the Shadow Plane, described as "seemingly weak, but never trust this appearance in a Primordial." The Iron And Golden is a beast of metal, with control over it and immunity to it. The Crystal Mountain is a colossal creation formed of countless tiny crystals that share a hive mind of sorts. The Freezing Of Softness, born from the purest cold, woven of ice and death. Then there are those that are only titles. Beings such as Windweaver. The Fire Beneath. The War Of The Flowers. Broken Things And Empty Places. Water Moving Downwards. Stone Made Soft. Removal From Equilibrium, the entry of which was underlined twice in a later hand.

    The final entry doesn't have even a title. It says only, "The first and greatest of its kind, potent, primal, and eternal. Ancient of days and alien to mortal minds. A Force beyond measure, it was laid low at great cost in a time long ago, and bound, after which the other Primordials were sealed away from Creation."

    The final chapter details, according to the table of contents, how this sealing was carried out, as well as how Primordials can be killed, what their weaknesses and powers are, and similar topics.

    The entire chapter has been neatly cut out of the book.


    Spoiler: Vauma
    Show
    You think hard, but cannot recall anything referred to as a Primordial in the natural world - not one. There are certainly things that are primordial in nature, but nothing which has quite that name. You commune with the spirit of a planar explorer, since it seemed to have a planar tie, and find a little more. Primordials were something he heard rumors of on other planes - beings born of the Material but with a conduit to other planes or powers. This suggests a more native magical origin, so you contact the echo of a long-dead wizard given back to the soil. She is able to suggest that these beings are known to her, but only in the dimmest sense, something that was sealed away from the world long before she lived - and she lived in Thassilon. Going on this, you reach out to a historian, but she doesn't know anything except that if someone fought such beings, they were likely very well-respected figures. With this clue, you find the spirit of a heraldic expert from Thassilon, and here you finally find a solid clue.

    The Runelord of Lust, Sorshen, counted "Slayer of the Primordial Flame, the Fire Beneath," as one of her titles. Digging into this, you find that the Fire was a gargantuan tortoise that was made of stone and magma, and left flame in its wake. It crushed three cities before she finally destroyed it.

    The implications are...ominous.


    Spoiler: Shovash, Damien and Ragnar
    Show
    You go for a nature walk in Elysium, where you are...not precisely welcomed guests, but not outright run out of the plane, either. A group of lillend azatas even puts on a show for Ragnar, though they don't know he's there at the time so that may not really count. You harvest numerous magically and alchemically interesting plants. You repel an attack by Shovash's ex-partner-in-crime and his army, during which Damien does remarkably creative and distressing things to numerous orcs, half-orcs, ogres, goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, giants, half-giants, trolls, and summoned everything. You are not nerds.


    Just under five days later, you reconvene with the others, along with Carreau, Aiva, and Cho, at Dharmesh's mansion in Vudra.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Dharmesh once more shows everyone into the sitting room and bids them to eat freely of the food he has prepared, consisting largely of Chana Dal, Bhindi Masala, and Kala Channay, among others.
    Once everyone has been seated and has some of the various dishes, he will hand everyone a copy of The Book of Coming Forth, and speak.
    "We found this book in a library in Axis," he says, gesturing towards Tolben and Cho, "It details the names and in some cases provides descriptions of the various primordials. It may be of interest that what we called Leviathan, more properly titled Stormbringer, is recorded as being among the weaker ones of its kind. To summarize the text, primordials are largely conceptual beings, as old as if not older than this plane of existence. The book also says that the primordials were sealed away, though the chapter explaining how this was done as well as the various abilities and weaknesses of these beings has been cut out, leading me to believe that this was no mere coincidence or cosmic accident, but a deliberate effort on the part of an unknown party. Based on what the Witch Queen said before leaving, I believe that this "Windweaver" is what we face next. Any thoughts?"
    After saying all of this, Dharmesh will pour himself a glass of water to soothe his throat and listen to the others.

    Spoiler
    Show
    result of cooking check was 45.
    Last edited by AscendingApe; 2019-09-10 at 03:21 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Damien briefly leafs through the book he's handed, flipping pages before there's any chance he could have actually read what was on them, then snaps it shut and looks up at Dharmesh quizzically. "So we know it's name. That's... kind of underwhelming, honestly. At least we know what to refer to it by properly once we ruin it's day. Did you lot figure out anything that will actually help with the, y'know... killing it part? Or are we just gonna keep running our standard big ugly murdering tactics here."

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "Tsk. Really, Dharmesh, show the woman the respect she's earned." Despite what she'd said five days ago, Shovash had been among the last to arrive, and she had come with blood still drying on her hands. Her pet mephit had been playing valet, at least, so she hadn't yet been required to touch anything but her own place setting. It's an uncommonly big one, especially thick for an animated cloud of smoke, with bright ember eyes that generally follow Shovash's movements in ways familiars' should not. Right now, though, it stands behind her, eyeing the bookshelves and working its jaw. It smells of jasmine and ermine musk.

    "Arabasti's harlot was a witch-queen. Hells, so was I, when we first met, and for several years after. Grandmother Yaga is the Queen of Witches." There's no real need for that specificity, and the woman is almost definitely just teasing. It distracts her from skeptically prodding at the food, at least. Reading the fragmented journal had also been good for that. "So we have names. Very evocative names, and ones assigned by beings who saw these creatures in action. We shouldn't overlook the value of that." She didn't say "..., Damien," but it was clear enough.

    "And our investigation is going to be routinely interrupted by having to put one of them down, it seems. The regular timing makes a bit more sense if they were pact- or oathbound, and the names sound First World, to me, so that could be a starting point for next round. Until we make progress on that, however, it's broad preparations guided by suggestive titles. In that spirit..." She fusses with something below the edge of the table; a heavy thump and several clinking glass noises immediately follow. "I've brought you all a few necessities." Shovash indulges in a satisfied smirk that she doesn't bother sharing with the room, then starts piling whatever is closest onto her plate. Her belly is almost definitely swollen, this time.
    Last edited by Sepulchritude; 2019-09-11 at 03:56 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground
     
    QuidEst's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "I managed to learn some information on why we have these things cropping up again," Vauma said, settling in again comfortably against Mycetes to sit out the meal. "Stormbringer was sealed away 'so long as the gods held power in the world'. As for the next one, Windweaver is a spider, queen of spiders. She took over a forest city, filled it with spiders, and let them feed on the people. Burning the whole forest down dealt with everything but Windweaver herself, so I'd make sure to have some fire ready. Crowds of weaker creatures, with a primordial directing them."

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "See, now that's what I'm talking about." Damien chirps, "Actual information, great job Vauma." He summons a small ball of flame in his hand and begins flipping it through his fingers casually as he continues, "Sure is a lucky thing we have a genuine fire master here for this one." He smirks, but no sooner has he finished his sentence than he screws up with his little ball of fire and drops it on the ground, singing the carpet before he can put it out with a ray of frost and a curse.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground
     
    QuidEst's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "It did involve burning the whole forest down, so we probably want something a little more targeted," Vauma suggested.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Tolben seems amused, but makes no comment on Damien's antics.

    "I think we have enough information now, that I can attempt to scry the Windweaver. There's no guarantee it will work, but it's worth a try. It would be easier if we had a proper likeness, of course."

    He pours water into a wide bowl, providing a suitable surface to show the image. Then, he speaks a bizarre incantation and the reflection in the water begins to change.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Greater Scrying doesn't have a material or focus component, and takes only a standard action - unlike Scrying.

    Assuming the Windweaver currently exists to be seen, it has a Will save (DC 34, with a +5 bonus because we have only second-hand knowledge).
    Vs SR: (1d20+29)[37]

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    The water ripples, then goes black. It refuses to lighten into an image, though - there's a hazy suggestion of limbs, twisting and twining, that turn into tentacles and thrum with the power rushing through them, and then it is only churning currents of something that could be air, or flame, or water, or something that has no name.

    Then the bowl shatters and the water is just water and it is all over the place.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Tolben hardly blinks at the result.

    "Not surprising, really. Such powerful creatures are strong-willed, and not easy to scry."

    With a few words, he cleans away the water on the table, leaving the shards of the bowl ready to be reassembled. A more complex casting turns those shards into a new bowl - one even more ornately sculpted.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spells: Prestidigitation, Fabricate.

    Craft (Sculpture) for the sculpted bowl:
    (1d20+41)[52]

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    After resting and making various preparations, quite exhaustive preparations really, the party is ready at the appointed hour. They sit and wait for the sendings that will tell them where to go.

    And wait.

    And wait.

    And wait.

    And briefly get distracted by a kitten.

    And wait.

    Three hours after the expected time, word comes in from Kintargo. Apparently, a spider is loose in the street. It's not too dangerous - only the size of an average elephant, hardly the titanic beast of last time.

    No, the problem is the sheets of impossibly sticky webbing that fill the streets and the thousands, possibly millions, of spiders that throng the webs. Apparently they all rose up at once, having spread through the city's sewers undetected and then attacked en masse once they'd filled it. The spider (presumably Windweaver) which is at the core of it all is only identifiable as such because it continues to spawn more spiders at an alarming rate. As in, a few thousand normal sized ones or a single one the size of a building at a time. Every few seconds.

    They aren't having a great time there. The origin spider is apparently currently outside the Kintargo Opera House, dancing in the webs while eating people that its spawn bring to it. It's not a very good dancer. You aren't sure why they felt the need to mention that in the sending, but that's Kintargo for you.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Dharmesh doesn't respond to Damien's antics beyond a sigh, he's well used to this by now.
    "Allow me a moment to prepare myself then we can go and let Damien indulge his pyromania." Dharmesh then weaves his hands in strange patterns and mutters his incantations, layering spell upon spell on himself and the others.

    Spoiler: buffs cast
    Show
    Burning two phrenic points to extend haste on the party, total duration of 40 rounds.
    False life on myself, gain 11 temp HP.
    Hermean potential on himself and the rest of the party, excluding Shovash. Duration of 20 minute or until discharged, whichever comes first.
    Lastly, dust form on self, burn two phrenic to extend duration to 40 rounds.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "Oh! That reminds me." Shovash did not immediately look up, being occupied with the task of carefully sprinkling her familiar with a glittering powder that burned up in sparks as soon as it contacted the cloud. "Vauma, you might want to start rain moving in, to cut down on any collateral damage from burning the webs. Not too fast, though; we have to be able to burn them."

    Spoiler: Sure let's write this all down.
    Show
    Current--
    40rds Haste (and for familiar)
    -
    Speak With Animals
    Blur (familiar does his own)
    Stoneskin (and for familiar)
    Resist Energy (acid, 30)
    Bull's Strength (and for familiar)
    Greater Heroism for familiar
    Greater Angelic Aspect tattoo for familiar [20' Magic Circle Against Evil +4 saves/AC, 20' Globe of Invulnerability, immunity cold/acid/petrification, 10 resist fire/elec, +4 save vs poison, truespeech, 60' good fly, DR 10/evil]
    -2 Str to Blood Money
    Vivifying Moxibustion Needles [+2 alchemical Fort vs: disease, cold, str dam, dex dam] (and for familiar)
    Last edited by Sepulchritude; 2019-09-15 at 12:00 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    The group arrives at the edge of the city, and finds that the reports were not exaggerated. The spaces between the buildings are all filled with webbing, sheets upon sheets of it stretching between every avaialable surface. The webs, in turn, are thronging with spiders, ranging from skittering swarms of tiny arachnids to the occasional hulking beast that glides through webs like an elephant through china. The webs never seem to be left in poor condition after they pass, though, somehow repairing themselves in moments.

    The air above the city is moving in rapid, chaotic patterns. Vauma's presence starts to calm it down, but it will take time before it's possible for any but the most daring fliers to move above Kintargo - for now, it's probably going to have to be through the streets.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground
     
    QuidEst's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "Well, here we are. I can calm down the winds in a small area faster, but we'll want to pick the spot well. So where in all this is Windweaver herself?" Vauma wondered, looking around at city's state.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "I'll take a look."

    Ragnar's cape lifts him up into the air, above the tops of the buildings where he immediately becomes buffeted and battered by the chaotic wind currents. They would be impassable to a lesser man, but Ragnar has flown through the walls of a tornado to strike at an enemy hiding within. Mere hurricane-force winds are beneath him, and he calmly rides one violent gust into another in the directions he wants to go, looking out over the skyline in search of the opera house's silhouette.

    After a minute he descends again, blinking back into view where he left.

    "About a thousand feet northward. Extremely large spider in front of the opera house, and I can confirm it is a very bad dancer. They say some people have two left feet, this one has at least four of them if not more. The main thoroughfare is wall-to-wall solid webs, but I think I spotted a path to the side. If we wind our way between the buildings towards the cematary, then cut northeast at the old smithing district, it's a bit thinner on the ground."
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "Quarter mile north," responded Shovash, after Ragnar had already done. Her real attention was on her supplies and the dense net of webbing that blocked the gate, tenacious despite the force of the winds. "ለአፍታ አቁም."

    Her already-blurry form flickered once. A handful of scaled elephant-things, bigger than houses, appeared in a semicircle next to her, faintly shimmering. "Wait, really? Every damned time... ለአፍታ አቁም?" Shovash flickered again. This time, the exercise produced a slowly-rotating ring of burning eyes, loosely centered inside a ring of crowns turning crosswise, collectively held aloft by seven wings. The eye-crown-thing smelled of musk and jasmine. "REALLY?"

    Shovash pinched the bridge of her nose and muttered something especially profane, even for Abyssal. The flappy gyroscope was already pressing into the webs, and she angrily waved the titanic mammoths after it. "Fine! አቃጥለኝ ፣ ከዚያ!" The flames that consumed her took on roughly her shape as they rose to triple her height. The bonfire stomped off up the main road with the immediate smell of burning hair.

    Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Looks like I did not press submit four hours ago, after all. Anyway, that's two time stops, giant-summoned fiendish epic girded etc mastodons, her familiar with almost as many buffs up as she has, and inspired spell to cast elemental body 4 for one mythic point. I rolled 29 for the familiar's reflex save, but mostly she's going to be torching a path through the webs herself unless ylva throws a curveball.
    Last edited by Sepulchritude; 2019-09-15 at 08:31 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    The mammoths stride fearlessly into the webs, pushing through them by dint of sheer size, muscle, and bullheaded refusal to be slowed. Swarms of spiders wash over them, biting and tearing, but the unnatural resilience of their hides is so great that millions of spiders fail to make any progress before being scattered and crushed. Shovash burns away the webs behind them, though the flames seem reluctant to spread much, and the rest of the party is able to follow along in their wake.

    Finally, after a minute and a half of slogging through the cobwebbed streets at maximum speed, the opera house comes into view. Also in view: a spider standing on a sheet of webbing ten feet off the ground, the size of an elephant, making odd jerky wriggling movements that could charitably be called dancing. Other spiders are carrying in a constant stream of people, all wrapped in web, all still alive, none seeming terribly likely to stay that way without outside intervention. It's in the middle of a large square about thirty feet ahead. The square itself has sheets and strands of webbing crossing it, but there are enough gaps to move through, albeit not in straight lines.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Tolben is rather surprised to come face-to-face with the huge spider. However, it seems distracted by its "dance", and so he has the opportunity to strike first.

    He takes it without hesitation. First, he uses a magical rod to skip over most of an incantation - and whatever magics defend the creature are swept away.

    He whispers, "I look into the Void..." The Void looks back, and he directs its attention upon the monster. Driven by a new insight, he infuses the effect with another spell.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    (Rod) Quickened Mage's Disjunction (Will DC 36 for items to not be suppressed)
    Void: Reveal Weakness (-10 AC and saves for 1 round)
    Coupled Arcana allows a Free Action Mythic ability of at most a Standard. Thus, Arcane Surge to cast another spell.
    Hold Monster (Will DC 32). Vs SR, with +Tier from Arcane Surge - rolled twice. (1d20+30)[34], (1d20+30)[48]

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    The magic takes hold, shattering the spells on the great spider and summoning the Void to sap at it. It still shrugs off the paralysis spell, though, and spins too fast to have not been expecting this. It gestures with one claw, and the air ripples, spheres of wind so intense that the air itself ripples and shimmers appearing. They rush into Tolben, Damien, Vauma, and Dharmesh, trying to knock them into the webs with the force of the gusting air.

    That was hardly humiliating at all, a mental voice whispers into their minds, a thought-sound like rustling spiders and wind blowing through bones. Who gifted you with the breath of creation, little one?
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    "Śh̡o͘u̶͜l͘͘d̷͜n͡͝'̨͜͠t̢̢͢ ̀͘͞h́́͠ą҉̧v̸́͡e̕҉͠ ̶̢͡ą̷͟s̷̕̕k̷̸e͡͡d̛͠ ̵҉t҉h̡a҉t." The bonfire that had engulfed their companion had almost exactly the voice you'd expect from living flames, and it very nearly crackled too much to make out her words. She raised an arm and pointed at the spider queen, then emitted a grating squeal. It apparently had meaning of its own, because the mammoths charged in unison, crashing into Windweaver in quick succession and scattering around the opposite side of the square. Blasts of fire from across the horizontal span of the elemental followed each impact and lingered, dancing on her carapace (better than she did). "N͢͝o͜͠w̶̕ ̕͜w҉̛e̵̛ ҉̧k̸͝n̶҉o̸͜w̢̕ ̸̡y̧͝o̡̕u͘͘ ́͘c͘͢a̴͝n҉͟'̛͡t̵͠ ̷̸s̴͡è͘ę̨ ̴̨ţ͡h̸̨è̡ ̷̨w̴͢o̶͝r̸̀l̷͝d̢́ ̴̢b͝҉é͠f̴̨o̵̢r̶҉e̵͝ ̢͢y̡͘o̸͡u̶̡ ̷͡e̴̴ǹ̕t̡̧è͡r͘͞ ̨͜i̕͟t̶̴.̕͡"

    The angel at her side was quick to follow the first offensive, if largely ineffectual itself. Shovash, sidling around to further surround their quarry, grinned so broadly it could be seen through the back of her 'head'. She crouched down to the spider's eye(-eye-eye-eye) level once she was closer, as though this weren't a potentially deadly situation at all. "D̴̸o̢͟ ̸̀ỳ̶ǫ̸u͞͝ ̵͟t͘̕ą̸s̶͜t̢͢e̶̢ ̶̛b̵͜e̶̵ţ͝t̴͢é͠ŕ̶ ̵͢t̸̨h҉̸a̷͢ǹ̶ ́͝y̸͞o̧͜ú̕r̵̛ ̧́b̷̨r̡͟o̸̢t͜͜h̵͢e̢͘r҉̴?͜͡"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So that's five tramples, five ranged touch attacks, and two claws from the tryhard familiar. Shovash is using up most of her 60' movement to get around to Windweaver's flank and enter melee range from there, in part to sweep that section of the courtyard clear of webs. This absolutely might mean lighting up a few cocoons, but you gotta crack an omelette, right? Dice on discord because there are a ton of them and possibly more to come, and I'll edit in damage later. If we took a minute and a half getting here, she has six rounds as an elemental after this one.

    All five rays hit, two crit, for 137 fire damage, less by five times her resist.
    Familiar gets a crit and a miss for 8 slashing.
    Third mastodon gets lucky and actually steps on her foot for 36 bludgeoning.

    Shovash presumably takes swarm damage an unknown number of times, but has DR 5/ and 10/adamantine.
    Last edited by Sepulchritude; 2019-09-16 at 08:19 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground
     
    QuidEst's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Vauma's shroud of protective air is enough to mitigate the blast of air, scattering the vortices. "Hyaline, now!" she called in Sylvan. A pouch opened itself. A moment later, a creature appeared- a tiny, pale hybrid of a woman and a rabbit, mushrooms sprouting from her body. A rod briefly appeared in Vauma's hand as she snapped off a spell, and disappeared before she followed up with another. The area darkens with spores and fungus begins growing rapidly.

    <Don't get stay in the dark area- and definitely don't die in there,> Vauma instructed over the telepathic link. <I have spores in her now! If you attack, she'll respond violently to you- I don't know what will happen otherwise. I'll seize control as soon as I can.>

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Hyaline, Vauma's summoned guardian spirit, will emerge (move) and use her Ill Omen SLA on the spider (for four rolls), breaking invisibility. She does not have Freedom of Movement. Swift action, activate Smite Threat against Windweaver, since she attacked Vauma.

    Vauma will use a Greater Rod of Quicken to cast Cordyceps Invasion. Vauma will then cast Garden of New Life, keeping it back from the group- extending about ten feet out in front of the spider.

    Ill Omen is no save. Cordyceps Invasion is DC 31 fort. Garden of New Life is fortitude partial, but it's mainly not moving that's a concern.

    If the spider saves vs. cordyceps, Vauma is backing off. If the spider fails, Vauma is issuing a command to hit itself.
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2019-09-16 at 08:34 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    'Oh that's very convenient,' replied Shovash. Her thoughts, fortunately, weren't filtered through the mouth immolation makes or interrupted by her sneezing. She stood back up to get her head out of the cloud. 'I think it's time for walls.'

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Recognizing the spells that Vauma laid upon the spider, Dharmesh will slowly clench his fists, drawing them towards his chest before exhaling and releasing his hands, upon which multiple copies of the same ashen figure begin to swarm the area, making it difficult if not impossible to determine the true man's location.
    Having completed this, Dharmesh will close his eyes and call from within the power claimed from the death of the Stormbringer, iridescent symbols lighting up along the length of his arms as he gazes at the Windweaver, awaiting its move.

    Spoiler: spells cast
    Show
    Mirror image cast via quicken spell, burning a 6th level slot, maximum number of copies achieved, 8.
    1 MP burned, holding prismatic wall to drop it directly in front of her if she moves or attacks.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Damien catches the blast of wind full force, but manages to regain his balance and sidestep the webbing directly behind him at the last moment. Walls it is, say no more. Damien seems a little put out to be using his powers for something other than fiery obliteration, but in the interest of being a team player (and not getting eaten by the spider) he creates a brick in each of his hands, then throws them at the darkness where they form into a pair of semi-spherical walls enclosing the beast within.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wall of stone, quickened wall of stone.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    With the immediate threat neutralised for now, Tolben turns his attention to the smaller spiders. Tapping into his metamagic rod once more, he unleashes a horrific spell which dessicates flesh, right in the centre of the largest concentration of small spiders. Their humanoid victims are unaffected.

    He then casts a spell of summoning. An angelic figure begins to emerge.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Rod-Quickened Horrid Wilting: (20d6)[78].
    Summon Monster IX: Ghaele Azata.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    With his primary victim no longer available, and Tolben looking to clear the area of the smaller spiders, Ragnar sets his sights on the larger spider minions. His hands fly on Greta's trigger as he selects the seven closest spiders to their mistress and plants a bolt directly between the two largest eyes of each one.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Mythic Rapid Shot (+2) and a Ki point for an extra attack. 12/15 Ki remaining, 19/20 rounds of GI and 14/15 rounds of Sense Vitals.

    Spread fire across seven giant spiders, hit AC33+ flat-footed for 163 damage each and a DC32 Fort vs Death.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-09-17 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

    I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground
     
    ylvathrall's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    For a moment, the spider seems to be trapped in the stone and the dark. Then, suddenly, she appears out of nowhere floating just outside the darkness, covered in fungal growths and lurching slightly, but still moving. B̶͆̓ͅr̵̗̫̅ǫ̵̬̂̈t̸̬̱̂h̸̺̦̀̍e̷͇͇͠r̶̪̹̐́?̵̬̍́ ̶͓̎P̷̧̌͜l̴͗͋ͅe̷̹͑ả̴̫͛͜s̶̛̜͑e̵̗͛.̷͍͔̊ ̴͓͗̾Į̷͇̂ ̴̫̑̿c̵͍̈́a̷̜͋͝n̴̢͎͘ ̸̡̲̾̂s̶͔̑̇m̶̭̩̆e̸͔̅ͅḻ̶̎̒l̷̞̝̀͆ ̵̬̏S̷̭̈́t̷̤͚̎ő̶͈r̷̙͂m̶̗̔̎b̶͍͉͆r̶̞̕i̴̧̋ń̴̥̙g̵̼͝e̷͘ ͓̖ȑ̷̻̌ ̶̀͜o̵̧͎̓n̶̝̆̑ͅ ̸̘̔̓ȳ̸̻̯o̷͙̾̅ṳ̸̈́̏;̵̤͑ ̵̻̅̀ȉ̷̥͔t̵̲̉̚ ̶̙̐w̶͓̚ȧ̵̜̯͗ŝ̸̗ ̴̖͂ȧ̵͖͓n̷̫̙͘ ̶͔́͠ĭ̴̙̓d̵̡̻̔̉í̵̫̗ȏ̵̡̟t̸̡͝.̶̱̆ ̴͚̪̌Ṱ̸̮̏̅h̵͖̃͜ȅ̷̥͛ ̴̬̏f̶͍̞̆ȗ̸̞ņ̶̽ḡ̴̤u̷̘̫͆̄ṣ̴̨̿ ̵͋̌ͅč̸͎h̸̪̘̆i̷͓͑̐ͅl̴͍͈̏d̶̨͕͆ ̴̝͆u̷͜͝n̶̑͜͝d̷̏͝ͅe̴͔̣͝r̸̰̋̏͜s̴̨̔͐t̶͖̎̚͜a̷̟̎͜n̷̥͑̋d ̸̫̫̈́̐s̵̤̫͝ ̶̛̬̀b̴̪̮̔ê̶͈͕t̷̯̭̀ṯ̸͈̆e̵͇͑r̴̬̬͗ ̸̳́t̷̙̚h̸̺͐à̶͋ͅn̶̥̠̅̓ ̶̯͖̏͋ý̵̬ò̶̮u̴̮̤͋́ ̷͈̅̏d̸̲̎o̶̙͌͘.̵͔͝ ̵̼̓͒A̵̱͠t̶͇̻̅͝ ̵̹͗̿ḻ̵̈́̆e̴͎͑͝a̷͕̥̾͂s̶̮͚̏̎t̷̖̞́͗ ̶̱̲̌̎s̶͍͐h̷̺̃̊è̵̝̤ ̵̠̅k̵͕̘͒n̴̛̚ͅo̷͎͌w̶̳̻̓̽ś̸̼͙͠ ̸̢̗̎t̷̘̎̓h̵̤̿ǎ̵̤̔ţ̴̐ ̸̩̜͌̕ľ̶͔̏ḯ̸̞f̶̦̖͊e̶̦̎͗ ̸̰̏̋ḍ̷̽o̴̹̲͝e̸͔̗͛́ş̷̭̍n̶͔̾'̵͍̱͋ṫ̴͔̗ ̸̧̞̑̾e̸̫͋̀n̵̹̐͊d̷̝͇̾́.̷̘́. The mental voice is garbled, something shredded and pieced back together with much of the meaning and the emotion stripped away, but the disdain is clear as the spider rears up and then descends on Shovash, biting and tearing with her claws. She doesn't seem to understand that her own actions are being dictated by the cordyceps spores.

    Millions of spiders pour out of the great beast's abdomen as she moves, flooding over Shovash, rushing over to Damien, and rushing in at the civilians.

    Cho moves in, throwing her head back as she shifts, dark fur erupting from her skin and her face transforming into that of a wolf. "Sing of fire, sing of will," she calls in a voice that is half song and half scream, a roar that resonates on a level deeper than conscious thought. "Sing to justify the kill...." At the same time Aiva lets out a long howl-laugh and charges the largest spider present, a creature fully the size of Stormbringer which is currently in one of the streets entering the square. She grows as she moves, until she is the size of a large giant, carrying a crimson blade ten feet long. Carreau, on the other hand, rushes to the civilians, standing over a trio with Sorrow drawn.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2019-09-18 at 04:44 PM.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

    Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Once more, Tolben calls upon the Void to reveal the weaknesses of the Windweaver. This time, the magic woven with the Void creates a thin mist around the creature's head.

    He follows that with a quickened spell covering the Windweaver with shining golden dust.

    Finally, he directs his summoned creature. "Ghaele, heal Shovash."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Reveal Weakness (-10 AC and saves), Coupled Arcana + Arcane Surge Mind Fog (Will DC 32). Vs SR if present: (1d20+30)[31], (1d20+30)[41]. (-10 Will saves and Wisdom checks).
    Does not hamper vision.
    Quickened Glitterdust (Will DC 29, no SR).

    Orders the summoned Ghaele Azata to cast Heal on Shovash, mostly to wipe out the poison's effects but also for the healing.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground
     
    QuidEst's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: Nulli Dei. Nulli Domini. [IC]

    Vauma smiled a little at the dubious compliment, and reached out to direct the influence of the fungal growths now that they were firmly implanted. The overwhelming realization that something was wrong inside wasn't a difficult one to induce under the circumstance, and it was possible to channel that towards very ineffective ways to get it out. "She'll keep retaliating against her last attacker until we leave her alone- then she'll try to claw herself open. Do the spiders follow her? I can direct her elsewhere, provided the growths hold." She waved a hand, clearing up cloud of spores hanging darkly through the webs in order to avoid killing anybody who could be rescued.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift: Guarantee an ongoing "attack self" result on the confusion effect.
    Standard: Greater Dispel Magic on Garden of New Life; dispelling your own spell automatically succeeds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •