New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

"...the biggest berry I'd ever seen. So of course I tell him, 'wow, that's a big berry!' But he said 'no, this is a watermelon.' But I hadn't seen it before! And I live in the water. So I bought one and brought it underwater to try and plant it. I'll check back on it later, tell you how it worked." Lana was making wild gestures to emphasize her points and nearly whacked somebody, but managed not to.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Cailenam noticed there was finally a pause in what seemed like the inexhaustible amount of talking his inadvertant travelling companion was capable of. "With any luck, I'm sure you'll have a prosperous crop waiting for you," he answers, eager to find adequate lodging and somewhere he could hear his own thoughts. Somewhere he could enjoy a nice glass of wine. Perhaps two or three, the road had been a particularly trying trial. "It would seem we've arrived at last," he interjects before she could start her next tangent. "Shall I help you find the local inn, or will you manage on your own?"
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron looks uncomfortably at the rats neatly being roasted on tiny barbecue sticks. True, he marveled at the Goliath's ability to insert the sticks so delicately without spilling a drop of blood. To be sure, those rats ate the exact same thing as the livestock. However, his stomach churns at the thought of eating the little vermin regardless of how delicious they may smell.

He instead reaches into his backpack to consume another pack of trail rations.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, if you would be so kind," Lana requested, following Cailenam so closely that she at times ran ahead before remembering that he was the one who knew where to go.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Taara leaned against Trunksplitter drowsily, chewing on a particularly charred rat-on-a-stick. It was pungent and gamey, but also deliciously oily and crispy. Her face was covered in spittle and oils, which she didn't clean, but she caught drips with dexterity before they could stain her dress. Finishing her food, she immediately cleaned her face of the gristle.

She stretched with a smile, relieving excess stress in her shoulders and almost falling backwards in her chair. Her expression immediately shrunk to neutral again as she stood, went to find a spot with the most sick children around, and sat there with them as Chand had done for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Adamas looks crestfallen, as some of his companions decide to eat the rats. His tribe had done so in the past, but only in extreme circumstances.

Reluctantly, he prepares the unwholesome meal, but only eats from his own food.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

As Cailenam and Lana follow the road into the center of town the only sound they can hear is flowing water from the stream that flows through town ans the nearby river.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There is a link to a map of the town on the first post of the OOC thread. You enter town from the south.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

"Whoa look! A land horse! Lana pointed at the horses at the coach, then spread out her hands to point at all the horses in the stables they passed. Quickly the smithy took her attention.
    Ooh! That place uses metal to make armor. I would never put on metal armor. I'd explain why, but you'd need to learn Druidic to understand three of the verb tenses I'd need to use to explain it. I can't teach you Druidic. Against the rules. Ooh look a butcher! That guy takes animals and cuts them up until people can eat them. I never much cared for meat back home, but I think that may have been because we couldn't cook anything. No fire, you know. I didn't mind oysters at all. Do you think there are any oysters here? Oh what's that do what's that do what's that do?" Lana pointed to the wheel that was turning in the water (the mill).
    "It's turning but why? And... hey, that's bread. We didn't have that where I'm from. Underwater is a bad place for wheat and yeast. Oh here we are." Lana sounded almost disappointed as the Inn came into view. She entered the common area without really looking around, but she did inhale twice.
    "What smells so good?"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-12-12 at 01:54 AM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

"It would seem we have come at an opportune time, much food has been prepared," Cailenam observes before noticing that the meal d'jour seems to be ... roast rat. He took a deep breath and thought, Matatabi lend me patience, it's another backwater village of rat-eating peasants... The gods didn't need to make this mission of his so difficult. "Perhaps I will start with a drink," he thinks aloud, and attempts to get a good-quality glass of wine from the inn's workers.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So engrossed was he in studiously avoiding partaking of the rats that Zarron was unable to hear the duo enter the inn until they announced themselves.

Studying the water Genasi with no small amount of interest (he had never seen one in the flesh), the young half elf stands up and greets the strangers.

"Good day. What brings you here to Tamor Town? Would you care for some," a gleam of mischief crinkles in his eye as he takes two barbecue rat sticks and offers them to the newcomers, "local refreshments?
    Now Playing

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Unable to take any more of this affront to the culinary arts, Adamas stands up, his considerable height and width unfolding.

'By the Stony Goat, this is enough!

Put the rats down, visitors. Fair and winning day to you both. Here we have wholesome broth and bread, fresh from today. Enough for the whole village.

But have care. This village suffers from disease. We are here to find why and how to cure it."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Taara silently watches from the floor, sitting with the children. She had released her glimmering pink hair from the braids, leaving it to fall down and crawl a couple feet from her wood elf body.

Her pale blue eyes watched the two newcomers enter: a woman with strange features, among them blue hair and seashells all over her, and an elf who had the strange combination of silver skin, black hair, and piercing blue eyes.

The woman was energetically asking questions left and right, just like Maut who she knew in her childhood. The elf seemed more serious and laid back like Kaj. Their presence set at ease her frustration over Zarron's personality, if only by completing her group- Zarron was Chand, and Trunksplitter was Domorn-

Her mind fogged. Thoughts of shooting an arrow into Adamas's back flushed through. Placing a hand on her head, she classified him as mistress Suthyra, though it wasn't a perfect match. She was even more stern than Trunksplitter.

She glanced over the children, bowed her head in prayer, then approached, hiding by Trunksplitter.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-12-12 at 03:32 PM.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Cailenam wrinkles his nose at the offered rat, but gladly takes the food apparently cooked by the imposing goliath. "That's more like it," he mumbles under his breath, still miffed that he was only making a single step above literally eating rats. He raises an eyebrow as the goliath continued, and asked, "A disease, you say? Has the local temple been unable to handle it? It just so happens I am a cleric of Matatabi, may their claws rend the unjust, and I would be glad to offer my assistance if it is needed. Have you already begun your inquiry?" He pauses, realizing he was getting a bit ahead of himself, and runs one hand back through his hair to prevent himself from launching into a barrage of intense questioning. "Do pardon me, the road has made me misplace my manners. My name is Cailenam Emberbright. It's a ... pleasure to meet you, I'm sure."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Zarron Gemblossom. I just arrived the night before," Zarron pipes up, "but haven't seen anything that might have caused this plague. There are just two strange things -- the rats. Why did they come here, and why are they not affected by the plague? They ate the same things the villagers ate, and they breathe the same things the villagers breathe."

With his waterskin now empty, and feeling a little thirsty after the meal (and wanting to distance himself from Taara's favorite disgusting food, Zarron excuses himself to fetch a pail of water from the fountain.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-12-12 at 11:55 PM.
    Now Playing

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Taara quietly watches emotionlessly from Trunksplitter's side, listening to the the elf's tone and observing his features. He began inquisitive, holding himself above in a position higher than the present company. Odd, for his lack of stature and outgoing appearance of his strength compared to whom he speaks. Though she grows angry standing next to Trunksplitter, Taara holds it in. Then, he stops and corrects himself. Quick to apologize for loss of manners. Taara scoffs internally. She makes level eye contact with him before turning abruptly and returning to the floor with the children. She shot another curious glance to the strange woman, the elf taking her attention soon after. She scoffed again, aloud this time.

"Let's just hurry up and go to the mountains," she said angrily as she sat, not making eye contact with anyone but the children, if they were well enough to do so. "An elder died this morning, and these children are not getting any better. Ellis's healing will do some work, but not so long as she's fighting." She crumpled to the floor and caressed the forehead of one of the children. "Have you been a sick child, Cailenam?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Lana had been sampling one of everything - including the rat. She took seconds of everything she liked - not including the rat.
    "I was a very healthy child," she began.
    "But ending a plague is a good and noble quest. I think you'll find me quite helpful. Why, even now I have prepared my ability to detect poisons and diseases with ease!"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

As Lana passes the stables a lone mule flicks its ears at their presence, it is the only animal there.

-----

Within the Prancing Pony Inn are all of the townfolk and the other adventurers. With the exception of Elyn, one of the innkeepers, and Mathias, a friar from a nearby temple, everyone who lives in the town is unconscious and lying in make shift beds.

-----

Mathias in response to Cailenam "I am but a humble friar, I have been doing what I can to help but no one has been well enough to return to the temple for additional aid. I only arrived in town a few days ago on a routing supply run."

-----

Ellis heads out to the fountain with Zarron and uses divine sense only to discover that the fountain radiates an evil energy.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-12-13 at 02:50 AM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Evil? Zarron scoffs to himself. How can water be evil? He puts some fountain water in a pail and sniffs at it experimentally.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-12-13 at 03:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    "Let's just hurry up and go to the mountains," she said angrily as she sat, not making eye contact with anyone but the children, if they were well enough to do so. "An elder died this morning, and these children are not getting any better. Ellis's healing will do some work, but not so long as she's fighting." She crumpled to the floor and caressed the forehead of one of the children. "Have you been a sick child, Cailenam?"
    "Cleric Emberbright, please." He left out the long litany of titles and honorifics for the sake of time and urgency as he made a sweeping motion with one arm to summon his Mage Hand, preferring to allow it to hold the bowl of soup as he took a few spoonfuls between sentences. "Not as gravely ill as this, no, but the urgency of such a blight is not lost on me, Miss ...?" He pauses, not knowing her name to adress her properly, but continues shortly after. "It sounds like you have already an idea of how to counteract all this then, what do you seek in the mountains?"
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-12-13 at 01:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

She ignored what the water genasi said, realizing finally why Kaj didn't really like Maut. "The rats came from the hills, afraid of something there," Taara declared, finally turning to face Cailenam, but still caressing the child's forehead. "The mountains are where I am from. And Trunksplitter is from mountains, cousin mountains as they may be. It would not be good of us to leave them in control of such a creature."

She paused for a moment, before saying "And my name is Staara."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Absorbed with eating, Trunksplitter hears Taara name herself Staara, and bangs his hands in the table in celebration. Finishing his meal, he joins the others and say.

"I am a bit hurt, but I can help a while more. Search the village to see if you find something, and then we move on"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Lana lifted both arms and waved them.
    "Me! I want to help!”
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Taara leaned her head and faked a smile, nodding towards the water genasi. She gave the child a gentle pat before standing again and walking back over to Trunksplitter and Cailenam. She maintains the smile while looking at Trunksplitter, but then switches to Cailenam and switches to a neutral face.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hey," Zarron says as he brings in a pail of water. " Something's up with Lady Ellis. She says the fountain is emitting some evil energy but that can't be right as I don't smell anything wrong with the water."

He places the pail with a thud on the ground and prepares to refill his waterskin. " Paladins huh?!"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-12-15 at 10:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Lana shrugged.
    "I could take a look."
    She sat down next to the bucket and pulled out her stick of fossilized coral and stirred the water with it.
    Spoiler: Aquan
    Show
    "Hey water. Hey water. Ya poisoned? Ripple if you're poisoned! Okay, did you ripple because you're poisoned or because I'm stirring you?"

((Ritual cast Detect Poison and Disease for ten minutes.))
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Taara observes the genasi carefully, amused by her chants and how long it was taking. Somewhat removed from the fact she didn't really like Cailenam for just a moment, she asked him "Is she a witch?"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Lana finds that the water contains a disease. As she explores her surroundings with the spell she discovers that the same disease is infecting almost every humanoid in the village including Ellis, Adamas, Taara, and Zarron.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The secret GM rolls that have been happening show that Ellis, Adamas, Taara, and Zarron are all infected but are not showing signs yet.
    I do not think that Lana and Cailenam have tried to drink the water or partaken in the broth that Adamas served you yet. If they have they need to make a con save.
    Detect Poison and Disease says that you know the identity of the disease, but this one does not have a name.

Spoiler: Religion DC 10 or proficiency with Religion
    Show
    Normal diseases do not radiate evil.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

"Right. So. Good news and bad news. Bad news: this water is diseased and so is everyone here including you guys. However..." Lana stretched out her hand at the bucket and caused the water within to float out of it. She then altered the water to make it completely transparent rather than translucent, hoping that the infection might stick out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shape water.
    If the transparency doesn't work, she'll keep altering the opacity back and forth a bit.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I'm infected? But, but, I feel fine!" Zarron protested, immediately regretting eating the Goliath's broth the previous night.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-12-16 at 06:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas looks skeptically at the food and the others. He seems apprehensive, but then straightens out.

"Well. Disease is one more battle. I will win this, also. But no we REALLY need to find a cure. And quick."