New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

The appearance of the fat man seemed to lessen her feelings she had against Laurens. The only folks as bulbous as him at the monastery would have been the extremely old and withering dragonborn, given their share and more to honor their achievements (often these were those who disliked the presence of orphans). This man, a human, dared to order a man worthy of great respect with the prospect of the cost of a loaf of bread. She spat. She'll get back at him later.

doesn't lighten my heart to go back closer to the mountains, but... She thought, grumbling under her outward smile. She fetched her staff, and strolled up to Trunksplitter.

"I don't think lowland 'chieftains' have strongmen, Trunksplitter. These folk throw sparkling coins at their enemies until they stop attacking them. Cowards." she spat again, leaning on her staff. "The strongest are meant to lead, and the strongest below them are meant to follow. The wise are who the strong follow, but fools think themselves wise and strong, when they are neither. Stupid and fat is all they are." she turned to the others.

"I have no need for coin, really, so I don't care much for asking for a reward for any efforts offered. Feel free to go looking for one, but I will be walking around town. To get to know the place. I feel we would be returning here if a reward was offered?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Danica nods approvingly as Ellis concludes her work.

"Stabilised now, at least," she says with a grim smiles, prestidigitating her gloves clean so that Ellis can safely remove them. "Danica Novotny," she adds, now that the other woman doesn't seem to need to concentrate.

Then the heavyset merchant enters the room, and begins talking about shadow rot. Danica scowls, her blood seething at his complete disregard for another man's life.

Follow him back up! Tear his throat! Feed! Drink! Drink him dry!

The dhampir runs her tongue over her teeth, feeling her fangs begin to extend, and takes a deep breath. Then several more, until she feels her thirst lessen. And realises that Trunksplitter has been speaking to her.

"Hmm? Sorry, were you asking if I wanted to aid Tamor?" she asks. "I am a physician. Aiding a plague-ridden town is my duty. I believe my answer should be obvious," she smiles.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

At Adamas' words, Granig looks down. No. It okay. Granig is pretty on the inside.

"I am Granig, and I will come to Tamor," Granig says, stepping up to Danica and the group. "Am not really healer, but I will come and pray for the sick. Will be good to travel with you all, look at your maps, hear your stories, tell you about the god Sky."
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-08-30 at 06:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Cuddy looks to Granig, then to Danica, then to the youth prostrate at his feet. "Plague, eh... Argyros' feathers..." he breathes, his pretentious accent slipping into his normal Qsen common.

He speaks to Danica and Granig, his accent re-poshed. "I'm no physician, my dear doctor, but I confess my heart aches for this poor fellow and his... ahem... fellows in Tamor. I will join with you."

As if anticipating the incredulous response he pulls back his cloak to display his carefully concealed blades. "I am capable of defending myself and others. I will be no useless lump like our... ahem... portly friend upstairs." He scowls toward the top of the stairs.

"So... uh... the sooner the better, eh?"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2019-08-30 at 03:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

To Tamor we go, Ellis says. What kind of people would we be if we just left them to suffer, knowing we could help?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Peaking outside, he tries to see the horse
    The youth's horse is not anywhere near the gate.

Spoiler: Asking a guard about the horse
    Show
    "That young lad that came through not to long ago? He was running on foot."

"Go up, Lardface, or I will carry you out of the room. Now! And I challenge anyone to stop me!"
    Adamas' outburst terrifies the fat man so much that as he tries to run away he looses his balance and falls down the stairs cracking his head. He is unconscious.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    You successfully intimidate him, he rolled a 2 on a DC 5 to try to run up the stairs on his short fat legs and takes 3 damage."

Tammy: "Would you look at that, the pompous fool slipped on his own tongue and fell down the stairs." She eyes the remaining patrons. "Isn't that right boys" There are murmurs of agreement.

Spoiler: If you go to look at the maps, they are across the street
    Show
    In the guard station behind a pane of glass there is a map drawn on a large piece of parchment made of a single deer hide. It has been updated several times over the years. The person on duty tells you that Tamor is approximately 35 miles [56 km] from Qsen. Smaller copies of the map are for sale for 1.5 gp each, watertight map case included.

-----
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    She spat.
    Tammy: "I understand your sentiment but I'd appreciate if you didn't go spittin' in me establishment, thank ye very much."

During your wanderings you are able to find several places that sell serviceable hunting arrows, they should work well for anything short of the most heavily armored opponents.

Most of the city is devoted to the docks (warehouses, ship maintenance, taverns for sailors, etc.) Qsen is not large enough for a slums to develop. The nicer looking estates are on the hills to the south.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I intend to make a map of the city, but it might be a while.

-----

Ellis is the only one in the room that notices Danica's momentary lapse in control.

Show
    I did a bunch of GM rolls for everyone in order to move things along. The DC to notice Danica's control slipping is her passive deception (14 atm).

-----

As the last of you are preparing to leave the Old Stag a watchman approaches the inn with a rather unlikely trio. A female tabaxi, a male gnome, and a dwarven ... you can't quite tell. They are lead in where they do a quick examination and hear the events from Tammy. The gnome approaches Danica and Ellis and rummages around in his bandoleer. He hands the two of you one small vial each followed by a clockwork pigeon with a small scroll case affixed to it (scroll case is about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch in diameter). "I understand that you might be headed out to Tamor to investigate, these are potions of stamina for your trouble. If you uncover anything we should know about put the message it this pigeon and wind it up a bit, best to be outside in a clearing when you do."

Spoiler: Potion of Stamina
    Show
    Removes one level of exhaustion.

As the trio discuss different theories of treatments between themselves you wonder if the cure is going to be worse then the disease.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #37

BardGuy

Granig is quiet as the group prepares to leave, thinking to himself as he watches the preparations, looking at the sky to read the weather, looking at the clothing and footwear of the rest of the group.

"Uh. I am thinking. I think 'What if one of us gets sick? Will the others carry?' And I think, 'Hm. Two days to town, we not know if shops and food there. We not know if water there safe.' I am thinking to look for a horse and wagon, maybe extra food. I don't think it silly idea. Will anyone help me look?"

As the weird trio discuss treatments, Granig wanders off to look for someone who could lend or rent them a horse and wagon for the journey. He has 10 gold to spend (more if anyone wants to help). If he can find them, and if there's any gold left, he'll look for a water barrel and some spare feed and rations to stock it with.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Not sure if the search will need any rolls.
    Here's a persuasion check if needed for the bartering
    Persuasion: (1d20-1)[11]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas laughs as the fat man falls down

"He lost the fight with the steps! Hur hur hur...."

Spoiler
    Show

Adamas is not cruel, he was just raised in a culture where winning is everything

Coming outside, he goes straight to buy the map and he looks adoringly at the nice case.

A real map! I am getting closer!

He then learns of the boy's run

"Hey clever people, listen! The boy run here! He run 30 miles! The lad is a winner, as I said"

When the half-orc mentions buying a horse and wagon and supplies, he looks perplexed

"Master Orc Sky-watcher, I can find food in this places. I can find enough for everyone. And I can carry someone if its wounded, no problem. Here, see"

Adamas looks for a cart or something nearby that would strain his strength.

Spoiler: If he finds something weighing around 500 pounds, a loaded cart or a barrel
    Show
    Adamas takes good hold and, muscles bulging, he picks it up and takes a walk up and down the road. In the end, he puts it where he found it, no sweat in his brow.

"See? Carrying no problem. But if you still want to buy mule, I have some money."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

"Yes... a horse. Unfortunately mine is... umm... not available. I am rather penniless unfortunately."
    Cuddy says to Granig. He reaches into his pouch and withdraws five gold coins. "I hope this helps."

10. - Top - End - #40

I'll chip in what I can as well, Ellis says, taking a coinpurse with 10 GP out. But I think our best bet would be a good horse and a cart or wagon. It might be a tight squeeze, but we'll manage.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Adamas finds a rain barrel that is mostly full and carries it about. Many onlookers cheer at the feat of strength, but some of the watchmen are a little unsettled.

-----

In searching the city you find that carts and horses are hard to come by as they are in high demand. Someone is willing to sell you a cranky old mule for 10 gold. You might have better luck on one of the farms along the road.

You find a broken down cart belonging to a carpenter. He was going to have his apprentice fix it up, but the kid ran off and signed up to be a shipwright to sail the high seas in search of adventure. He is willing to let you have it for 5 gp, but you will have to effect repairs yourselves. One of the side walls is missing entirely, the axle has a large crack in need of mending or replacement, and a wheel needs work. It shouldn't take too long to get it functional if you work together and ignore the missing side board.

The cart is physically large and strong enough for a seated driver, two people laying in the back, and some luggage, although it would be a bit cozy.

Spoiler: Carpenter's Tools
    Show
    He has an old set of tools that he is willing to part with for 7 gold or borrow to fix the cart for 1 silver.

Feed and rations are readily available (list price in PHB). You are able to locate an empty Quarter Cask (small barrel that holds 50 liters [13 gallons]) for 5 silver. Although any water stored in it will taste of whiskey until it has been washed many times.

Show
    Sorry for the minimalistic post, it was a long day.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

12. - Top - End - #42

BardGuy

Granig accepts the broken cart from the carpenter, paying out 5 gold pieces from his ragged coinpurse. Checking that the others aren't leaving without him, he steps up to the broken cart, closing his eyes as he begins to pray. He imagines rains falling from the sky, the water collecting and unifying on the ground, becoming one whole piece again. He imagines clouds meeting in the sky and merging, two parts becoming joined. Finally he imagines lightning flashing down from the sky to strike sand, melting the earth into a solid piece.

After a minute spent concentrating, Granig opens his eyes, waves his staff, and casts Mending on the broken cart.

Dragging the cart back to the group, he says, "Adamas, still want to pull this?"
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-01 at 11:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas looks at the cart and that is enough to stop him gazing admirably at his new map and shaking the potion to see how it changes color. He big face splits into a grin.

"Ancients harken! I wager all of you that I will pull this all the way to Tamor, even through the night! Who wants to take the challenge?

So, pretty and smart people, come! Who will ride here?"

He puts his backpack back, keeping only his weapon and his waterskin, and grabs the rails. If noone steps up, he starts merrily dragging the cart towards the city exit.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Taara was smiling as she wandered back to the town gates. She was lost in thought thinking of her new hunting arrows, Trunksplitter, and how the fat man tripped and fell, burying thoughts about the monastery and pursuing assassins. Undoubtedly she gets a few glances which she pays no mind to during her walk. She glared at the rich peoples' estates in the south hills thoughtlessly and expressionlessly.

Finally, she returned to the gates to see the five she had seen before, Trunksplitter pulling a broken up wagon. Without saying anything and keeping her head down, she started walking parallel to him while clutching the straps of her pack with one hand and using her staff with the other. The arrows in the quivers shook with each step.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ellis chuckles when Adamas makes his declaration. Thank you, she does say, though, not wanting the man to feel unappreciated.

She also takes a few minutes to talk to the carpenter about using his tools, but considering the rush, decides to buy a set outright, so she can repair on the go.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

And so the heroes of our story venture forth on their quest and the people of Qsen ... well they went about their normal routine like any other day because it would be silly to expect a large fanfare. Except Tammy, she wishes you luck and hopes that you can save those people.

About a mile and a half down the road you find a dead horse on the side of the road with lots of blood on the saddle.

Spoiler: DC 12 Animal Handling or Investigation
    Show
    The saddle was put on in a hurry by inexperienced hands.

Spoiler: DC 14 Medicine or Nature
    Show
    It looks like the horse died of a combination of disease and exhaustion.

Show
    If you have any last minute purchases in Qsen go ahead and wrap them up.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas stops pulling the cart for a bit, when he sees the carcass of the horse. He bents closer to look at it.

"This must be the horse of the boy left back, see? The saddle was wrong. The horse was sick and ridden to the death."

Adamas looks to see if there are any other signs of what could have happened before moving on.

Spoiler: Additional Rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+4)[20]
    Investigation (1d20-1)[13]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Taara smiles and waves back at Tammy when she wishes them luck. When she sparred with some of the dragonborn children, it was common for Chand to have done the same... as images in her mind jumped to Domorn again, she tried to stop thinking and just walked, keeping pace with Trunksplitter. She walks with him, all the way up to the dead horse.

She poked at it with her stick, trying to identify portions of it that are not diseased (and thus would be edible)

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Animal Handling: (1d20+3)[17]
    Medicine: (1d20+3)[7]
    Additional (Nature, I guess?) to see if any bits of it are edible: (1d20-1)[15]

Though she was not experienced with horses, Taara nodded at Trunksplitter's remark. She had seen a saddle or two on pack animals coming through the monastery. Trunksplitter pointed out the horse's disease. It was slightly unnerving to her that such a sickness could affect a horse just as well as a man. Even so, she searched it for edible parts.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-09-03 at 01:06 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Cuddy had largely been silent as the final journey preparations were made. His principal concern was keeping his head down to avoid being seen. When the cart arrived he was content to rest his lithe frame inside, but would occasionally walk along side if pressured to do so.

At the sight of the horse, sickly and dead, he paused. "I knew that the lad had had a horse," he says, using his real accent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigation:[roll0]

He echoes Taara's thoughts by saying "What kind of plague affects beast as well as man?" He says, though mostly out loud to himself. Again, now that they have cleared the city he has definitely relaxed on the accent. "The boy was brave. Pray that his courage will be rewarded if there is any justice in the world." He looks back mournfully toward Qsen. "He certainly won't find it there, by Argyros."

OOC for DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Cuddy would have an affinity for Argyros, being a rogue who will eventually go Arcane Trickster.

20. - Top - End - #50

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Animal Handling: (1d20+3)[10]
    Medicine: (1d20+3)[17]

Poor horse, Ellis says. Might've only been an animal, but they deserved better than this. Unfortunately, not much we can do. Should we burn the body, to help prevent infection? Or is that a bad idea?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-09-03 at 03:00 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Adamas looks to see if there are any other signs of what could have happened before moving on.
    You see a faint trail of blood leading from the horse back to Qsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    She poked at it with her stick, trying to identify portions of it that are not diseased (and thus would be edible).
    Without knowing which diseases the horse might have had it is difficult to determine if any of it is currently edible.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Should we burn the body, to help prevent infection? Or is that a bad idea?
    There is a small stand of alder not too far away. However it would be fresh cut wood and would give off a lot of smoke when burned.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-09-03 at 11:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

BardGuy

Granig comes to a stop and looks over the dead horse along with the others. He nods along to Cuddy's observations.

"Sometime disease comes for people, sometimes for livestock. Strange to see it for both." He crouches to peer at the dead animal. "Only a little more sick than the boy at the inn, or it wouldn't have fallen so close to town."

He looks up around at the others.

"Can anyone feel magic? Sense spirits? Might find out more about the sickness."

Spoiler: Rolls & Purchases
    Show
    Rolls:
    Animal Handling: (1d20+3)[7]
    Medicine: (1d20+5)[19]
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-09-04 at 05:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

I can, Ellis says, taking a moment to open her senses to the otherworldly.

Show
    Divine Sense usage!

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellis opens her senses and can feel the lingering traces of evil within the corpse. It has the same stench as the evil she felt while healing the son of Urdur.

25. - Top - End - #55

There's no outright possession or anything, Ellis says, but it feels malicious. More than an ordinary sickness-there's something sinister to this.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    There's no outright possession or anything, Ellis says, but it feels malicious. More than an ordinary sickness-there's something sinister to this.
    "Suppose that might be why it affected the horse, too?" Taara asked Danica.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Danica's preparations before leaving had mostly consisted of ensuring all her remedies were fully stocked, and was happy to take a spot on the cart when one was available. She has frowned all the way through the group's examination of the horse's carcass, and the look of concern only intensifies at Ellis' proclamation.

"Then, if I may offer my professional opinion? We should burn the carcass," she says firmly. "If this disease can pass between man and beast, then the last thing we need is scavengers contracting it from this corpse and spreading it elsewhere."

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

"Hm. Then we should listen to the physician," Granig says, standing back up and looking around. He wanders towards the clump of alder trees and starts breaking off branches with calloused hands. He looks back at the others as he works.

"Anyone have axe for trunk and splitting?"

29. - Top - End - #59

Ellis looks briefly into her pack, and shakes her head. I've a shovel, but no axe.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas wordlessly takes out one of his handaxes and passes on. He starts using the other to cut branches, until he notices how soft the ground is.

Adamas takes a young tree, and heaving mightily, attempts to uproot it. At first, nothing happens . But then Adamas shouts "Stone give me strength!" and his hands become rock hard/ Slowly, very slowly. the tree gets uprooted all together.

Adamas, panting, let's out a yell

" I won. The tree lost."