New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Ellis chuckles a little. Yes, yes you did. Let me help you get the rest of the wood we'll need, though-no sense tiring our cartman out.

With that, she moves to the next tree, pushing while he pulls.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Helping Adamas with his tree duty.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Taara scowls a little bit at Ellis's chuckling. It felt disrespectful to her, to laugh at someone strong. She, too, tries to push a tree down:

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+1)[9]

After a moment of trying, she stops and just continues walking along the road. She leaves the party there to burn the dead horse. She's faster than any of them anyway, and she'll be careful.

Show
    Going ahead. If Taara sees something approaching her, she'll keep her distance, but if something like runs at her she'll run at full tilt back down the road.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-09-07 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Working together with ax, saw, and in some cases raw strength you manage to get a pile of wood together that is enough to at least start cremating the horse.

A little while after you light the fire one of the city guards rides up from Qsen to investigate the column of smoke. "What are you doing building such a fire this close to the city? ... What is that smell?"

Show
    I am assuming that the pyre was built over the corpse and the guard cannot see the horse, rather then trying to lift the dead horse weighing over 1500 lbs [680 kg] onto a pile of wood.

-----

While scouting ahead Taara finds a small trade caravan that had departed from Qsen before you, but is moving at a slower pace.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

interesting, Taara thought. It would certainly be so if these people were headed to Tamor. But it would be far more likely it would be bound for the town she came through on her way to Qsen.

She kicked off her sandals and returned them to her pack, overtaking the rear wagon of the caravan, looking up and wide-eyed at the driver. "Hello?" she said, childishly as possible. "Where're you headed?"
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-09-08 at 11:01 PM.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

5. - Top - End - #65

Not sure if you heard, but a man came in half-dead with sickness. His horse died on the way-we're burning the body to cleanse it, Ellis replies.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Finally, some way I can prove useful Cuddy thinks as he approaches the guard with his hands open and spread in a gesture of welcoming.

"My fine fellow," he says, the ducal accent returning. "There is talk of plague nearby, this horse has been afflicted and we are trying to spare our fair city of any of the troubles from the outlying settlements. If we have disrupted an ordinance I assure you that we are managing the fire and preventing its spread. You may return to your duties confident in our good intent. Thank you for your service."

Spoiler: Persuasion Roll
    Show
    (1d20+5)[7]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    "Where're you headed?"
    "Greeting fellow traveler, we are headed to Choux by way of Brimel."

Show
    Brimel is the town Taara came through on the way to Qsen.

-----

Guard: "I am aware of the poor lad, I will send a few persons of the fire brigade to ensure that this is properly contained. We would not want the city to burn down like Lindan."

He rides back to Qsen.

-----

As the fire burns into the corpse the smoke takes on bazaar shapes and forms as it rises into the sky and the smell is most repulsive.

Spoiler: DC 10 Con save if you are within 30 ft of the fire and are not holding your breath.
    Show
    Failed save results in incapacitated due to vomiting.

-----

A little while later a cart pulls up with a few members of the fire brigade.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

"ah, I see," Taara muttered. So Trunksplitter is just going to have to keep pulling... she sighed, having hoped to allow the big man time to rest. Either way, she needed to rest too."not where I'm headed, but oh well. Carry me to the fork? I'm headed to Tamor, all by my lonesome. It would be good if I could get a small rest on my way."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

His work completed, Adamas watches the discussion with the guard. The foul smoke from the fire takes him by surprise and he coughs a bit, but his strong constitution can handle it.

"This is an evil, rotten smoke. We will be proceeding, mister guard.

Everyone here? Ready to move on?

Hold on, where is Staar?"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Damn, I'm good... Cuddy thinks to himself. Because of course the guard left them be because of his charm.

Spoiler: Con Save
    Show
    (1d20+1)[5]

Edit (after failed con save): As soon as the guard turns away, Cuddy bowls over and vomits to the side, desperately pushing his boots back to avoid being splashed. He falls to his knees, coughing and hacking.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2019-09-10 at 10:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Spoiler: Save
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4]

Rolling Con save.

Ellis takes a deep breath in front of the fire, and her throat catches. She tries to contain it, but staggers to the side of the road, and vomits out the contents of her last meal.

Urgh... she lets out. We should be more careful with the fire, in the future.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-09-10 at 10:01 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Granig's eyes narrows as he watches the swirling smoke flow up from the pyre. He wrinkles his nose at the smell, stepping backwards as he sees the other succumb to the stench.

"You were right, Ellis. This reeks of evil."

"We... should go. When I set out, thought this would be good diversion, fun company. Didn't think it would be a thing of evil. A poison that pollutes the air, desecrates the sky. My faith feels heavy, pulling me down, into this sickness, to this plague town."

The smell overwhelms him, and he staggers back, gesturing to the fire team to stay back.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Constitution: (1d20+2)[20]

If Granig saves, he'll try and help treat the others, looking around for any stomach-settling herbs.
    Medicine: (1d20+5)[19]
    Survival(?): (1d20+5)[8]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    "Carry me to the fork? I'm headed to Tamor, all by my lonesome. It would be good if I could get a small rest on my way."
    "Well if you do not mind giving an old man some company, you can ride along for a while." The old man begins talking and talking in one incredibly long unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that you do not have a chance to interrupt, it is really quite hypnotic.

-----

Granig knows that with a bit of fresh air and some water everyone should recover.

-----

After a while it becomes apparent that you have harvested enough wood to finish the job and nothing living or undead is going to emerge from the pyre. Leaving the fire to the guards to take care of you move on.

The fork in the road is about 8 miles [13 km] away. The group makes better time then the Taara does with the merchants and you arrive at about the same time.

At the fork there is a small rest stop / campground with a building that is open on two sides and a fireplace for cooking. Also there is a farm nearby.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Taara sprinkles in affirming sounds along with nods. This man's rambling stories were like Domorn's, except they seemed to have no end or moral. Also that they weren't really stories in the real sense of the word. All the same, she absorbed the information and thanked him as she leapt off, immediately noticing the party. She approached them, waving after the caravan as she did so. As soon as she was sure the old man wasn't looking, she returned her sandals to her feet.

"Oh! Hello, Trunksplitter," she said, craning her neck to look at him. "I was getting tired of walking so I went ahead until I found that wagon. I was thinking about going off to catch some food but I lost track of time. He had good stories to tell."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas carefully ties two lknots in his Counting Cords, to remember he pulled out the trees and moved the cart. As he goes, he keeps seeking Taara to see if she is nearby. Somehow, the lithe human - the very dangerous small human- has become his concern.

When he sees her, Adamas smiles.

"Hi Staara. I see you found friends."

Taking his map out, he tries to see if there are anymore resting stops nearby.

"It is still early to stop. Let's eat and then push on"

16. - Top - End - #76

Perhaps we should stop by the farm-see if anyone spotted anything, Ellis says. And, if not, warn them of potential danger.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Cuddy had already flung his pack to the ground next to an accommodating stump on which he sits. He had removed his boots and was rubbing his sore feet when he heard Trunksplitter's proclamation of continuing. He frowns. "I say we take more time than lunch," Cuddy says. He is too tired to even bother with the ducal accent.

He points a thumb toward the farm "I agree with Ellis, maybe we can stop there and see if there is some food we can purchase. I would rather save our pack rations for emergencies."
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2019-09-11 at 11:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Looking at the farm, Adamas nods sagely.

"Friend Lory is right. These people should be warned. But I can pick enough food for all of us. These are green lands.

However, with some items like eggs and cheese, I can create a feast fit for chiefs!"

Adamas stops. Perhaps these lowlanders do not know that eating cooked food together is a sign of trust. He will see.

19. - Top - End - #79

Ellis nods, and heads for the door to the farm. As she goes, she pats Adamas's shoulder. Thank you-for all the help, and the kindness. We appreciate it, she says with a smile.

When she reaches the farm's door, she knocks three times, loud enough to be heard, but not so roughly as to sound aggressive.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Cuddy accompanies Ellis to the farm. If it comes down to haggling and bargaining he may be of some assistance.

"So... what's your story?" he asks Ellis as they make their way to the door. "That big hammer of yours has definitely seen some use."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Taara goes out looking for rabbits and other small animals, catching them off guard and pouncing on them.

Spoiler: Rolls if necessary; she is an outlander
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+5)[11]

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    Cuddy

Cuddy accompanies Ellis to the farm. If it comes down to haggling and bargaining he may be of some assistance.

"So... what's your story?" he asks Ellis as they make their way to the door. "That big hammer of yours has definitely seen some use."
    My dad's a former Paladin, Ellis replies. This wasn't actually his-it was my mom's. She fought with him, for a time, before the kids came. She still kept prepared-helped that my dad needed someone to spar with-but she chose to be a leader, rather than a warrior.

I'm actually kinda going against what the parents want here-they'd rather we all live quiet, peaceful, happy lives,
    she continues. After dad got crippled doing the hero work... Well... I dunno. He's happier than ever, even if he has trouble walking, because he's home. He gets to be with the family. And I think they're worried about losing us. But, at the same time, I can help. I can fight. I can make the world a better place-and they understand that. They know that I wouldn't be happy not helping. So... What was the question again? Ellis finishes, with a light chuckle.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

The half-elf nods, following Ellis' words. When she finishes he frowns. "I wish I could claim the same. Having a family and all that. Gives you something to live for, maybe even fight for. I envy you..." he trails off, staring absently at the farmhouse door. "I suppose you could say the dockworkers in Qsen were my fathers, the whores my mothers. 'Course, I did find a family of sorts, but they didn't exactly put a premium on 'loyalty.' I never thought about leaving a place better than I found it. Maybe I can change that with this plague business."

"I'm not a duke, though I haven't exactly been trying to play that role around you lot." He finally says.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2019-09-11 at 01:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Ellis cocks her head. When did you claim to be a duke? she asks. And I'm sure you'll find people who actually care about you-you, not what you can do for them.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

"Eh... you... uh... may hear a couple of our company refer to me as such. I may have encouraged it. It usually makes it easier to deal with people when they think you are someone important." Cuddy says.

26. - Top - End - #86

You are important, Ellis says.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

There are plenty of elderberries in the area easily found and ripe for the picking.

For those of you that are looking for something with a bit more sustenance, grouse and rabbits are around. However, attempting to run them down on foot only yields only a few rather young specimens. Switching to bow and arrow (or other ranged means) yields better results. You are also able to find some wild garlic, leaks, mint, and mushrooms.

-----

At the farmhouse most of the family is still out working the fields, but a nice old lady answers the door. "Welcome, welcome, what can we do for you."

This farm is well know to the locals for selling fresh seasonal vegetables and dairy goods to road weary travelers. Currently they have squash, tomatoes, carrots, beans, and kale as well as the house cheese, butter, milk, and eggs. One silver lets you supplement your foraging results with enough to make a nice hearty meal for the whole group.

-----
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Taking his map out, he tries to see if there are anymore resting stops nearby.
    This is the only rest stop that is well kept with a roof and hearth along the road, however there are other farms and clearings along the way.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-09-12 at 12:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    At the farmhouse most of the family is still out working the fields, but a nice old lady answers the door. "Welcome, welcome, what can we do for you."

This farm is well know to the locals for selling fresh seasonal vegetables and dairy goods to road weary travelers. Currently they have squash, tomatoes, carrots, beans, and kale as well as the house cheese, butter, milk, and eggs. One silver lets you supplement your foraging results with enough to make a nice hearty meal for the whole group.
    Not too much, ma'am, Ellis says in response. We're just here to warn you that someone from Tamor came recently, infected with some horrible disease. He's okay-for the moment, at least-but you'd be well advised to be careful.

Besides that, any chance we could procure some good meal supplies?

When the woman offers ample ingredients for a mere silver, Ellis takes it in a heartbeat. Thank you very much, ma'am! We appreciate your generosity. Here's hoping your harvests are bountiful!

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Taara nimbly and lightly climbed up Trunksplitter's back, reading the map while hanging over his shoulder. She looked it over, spotting the mountains on the right and the road the caravan was going down.

"Where's your home on this map, Trunksplitter?" Taara asked eagerly.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas looks up open mouthed as the human girl climbs up his back like he isa tree. He then laughs heartily and extends his shoulder so that she has more space to sit.

The question flusters him and he spends some seconds thinking.

"This is it, little human friend. As I understand, this part shows where the sun rises and this where it sets. Then, this much represents how much a human can walk in a day. Then my home..."

He sets the map down under a rock so that it doesn't fly away and walks ten full steps, Taara still in his back.

'... it is around here"

He then turns to Taara and says

" I saw rabbits and hares. Should we go collect our food? I think our pretty and clever friends do not know how."

If Taara follows he gives her two of the javelins, and he helps her pick food.