New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Taara receives the hug with a blush and a hand placed on Lana's. Focusing on the situation, she judged herself unworthy of dealing with it, so she simply watched Zarron carefully with her pale blue eyes. However, she was easily distracted by the contact with Lana and with one glance in her eyes broke out of the hug and started to braid her blue hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso assumed it was alright for the time and followed the group to the tower, still eyeing Zarron carefully.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Lana was really worried, but Taara and the others seemed to be perfectly alright, so she followed Zarron without another thought, admiring her braid as it was fashioned.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

Taara follows and goes into the tower as well.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

The tower is four stories tall, made mostly of stone, and has seen better days.

There is only one door and it is closed.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron knocks on the door. "HELLO?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2020-08-12 at 01:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Lana laughed, and looked around to see if anything was approaching them from the sky or behind while Zarron dealt with the door.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso unsheated his sword.
    "If nobody has a better idea?" he asked, first using a ritual to check if the door had any magical reason to blow up in his face with Detect Magic.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Yeah, Detect Magic.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

It seemed there was little the group could do for Zarron's plight, but the high-elf made a mental note to keep a close eye on the amulet going forward. While he was tempted to simply warp the amulet into a pile of scrap while the half-elf was sleeping, he had a thought similar to Ghiso's; that destroying or manipulating an amulet laden with such magics would prove disastrous. He would spend some time communing with Matatabi, the battle-cat's wisdom and mind for strategy could prove insightful. For now, he prepares himself for the excursion into the tower as the others begin to knock and examine the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

The area around the tower is peaceful, nothing dangerous is approaching from nearby.

Zarron's knock goes unanswered, it appears that nobody is home.

Ghiso finds that the front door shows no signs of magic, though there are several sources of magic further inside the tower within range of the spell.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso first checks the golem's 'corpes' for a key, recalling nobody did that the first time around, then if he failed to find one he prepared to thwack the door.
    "Be ready, I detect several sources of magic close to the door. You should all stand back" he said, giving the others the time to react before hopefully 'opening' the door.

Show
    So, breaking down the door. Unsure if I should roll an attack or athletics, I'll do athletics.

(1d20+5)[23]

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

The shards of ice that were left behind after the ice golem exploded have melted away while you were in town and nothing remains to show that it once guarded the tower.

As Ghiso goes to kick down the door his foot breaks straight through the soft wood that had started to rot under the finish. Through the hole you see that the door is barred on the inside.

After lifting the bar the door opens with a loud squeal on the rusting hinges. In front of you is a cell or pen with iron bars stretching from floor to ceiling. A skeleton of a large dog or wolf lies on the floor behind the bars with a collar around it's neck. There is a closed door to your right.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Troll in the Playground

Taara enters and crouches down in front of the bars, poking the dog skeleton with her staff.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

"Careful now" Ghiso said, checking if with Detect Magic he could now spot and identify the magica sources from before. He also double-checked Zarron to see if anything changed- last time there was only Abjuration and Evocation, maybe now something changed in the medallion. Or Zarron himself.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-08-14 at 09:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

Lana nodded.
    “I always am!”
    she said, without a trace of irony.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron does some poking of his own, using his 10 foot pole to prod at the collar and bring it closer so he can take it out and look at it.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing happens from Taara's poking, however when Zarron tries to remove the collar the skeleton grabs hold of the pole with its jaws and starts playing pull.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think that Zarron put the amulet under his shirt. It is my understanding that you need to have line of sight to read the aura of a magical item, on the other hand he is attuned to it and bearing the item so maybe the aura envelops him and can be read. Either way it's reading has not changed.

You have to beat a 17 strength check to pull the pole free.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

“I’ve got this,” Lana said confidently, walking up to the bars.
    “May we have that, please?”
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"G-go r-right on ahead, there's room!" Zarron responds, maintaining a grip on the ten foot pole.
    Now Playing

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

"It's... Acting like a dog" Ghiso noted, genuinely amused "Maybe we could keep it if it doesn't attack us. Not that it should be freed right now" he said, grabbing the pole to help out Zarron.

Show
    Strenght! (1d20+3)[22]

Can I apply Athletics? If so add +2 to the roll.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron lets go of the pole once Ghiso had a good grip on it. He then reaches into his pack to take out a piece of beef jerky from a ration pack. He tosses it experimentally into the cage, wondering what a skeletal dog without eyes, a nose, and a digestive system would do.
    Now Playing

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghiso manages to pull the pole free.

It catches the treat that Zarron throws, which then falls out of the back of its mouth onto the floor.

The skele-dog moves as if it is trying to bark at you but there is no sound beyond the clacking of bone.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's see..." Ghiso gave Zarron back his pole, then ripped out a piece of fabric from his own clothes (Caillenam could just Mend it back together) and tied it around his hand, giving it some additional padding before reaching inside the cage and trying to pet the skeleton to see how hostile it was.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

Taara backs up from the bars to Lana and smiles to her, having enjoyed the strange bone-dog before going to the closed door that was to the right of the entrance, and tries to open it using a swift kick. Hopefully, it was as rotted if not more than the last, as she was not as strong as Ghiso.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Strength/Athletics: (1d20-1)[9] +2 if Athletics

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While Ghiso tries to play with the dog, Zarron takes back his pole and starts tip-tapping on the floor and walls of the room they are in, testing to see if there is anything... hollow.
    Now Playing

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

Noting Taara's attack on the door, Lana tried opening it normally. "Maybe it's unlocked," she suggested.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarron's tapping confirms that the walls and floor sound the way they appear, composed of solid stone and mortar. It is good quality workmanship.

It is difficult to read the body language of the skele-dog as it does no have much of a body, but to Zarron it looks like it could be trying to announce your presence to anyone that might be in the building.

The skele-dog moves as if it is trying to sniff Ghiso's hand, then goes back to trying to bark.

The inside door is in better shape and resists the kick, however it is not locked and opens up followed by a soft click then the boom of thunder.

As the door is opened the skele-dog's demeanor changes, it stiffens and stops behaving like a dog, and more like a mindless animated skeleton. It bits onto Ghiso's hand and starts trying to tear it off.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Everyone inside the first room needs to make a constitution save DC 14. If you fail you take 16 thunder damage and are deafened for 1d4 rounds, on a successful save you take 8 thunder damage and are not deafened.

You do not know this IC, but detect magic would not have located this trap.

Ghiso's hand takes 4 damage and is grappled, because of the wrappings I gave you resistance to the bite and factored that in.

As there is only the one enemy we can run this loose and skip the initiative rolls.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

CON save: (1d20+2)[16]. If below 14, deafened for (1d4)[4] rounds.
    Now Playing

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A bit of blood leaks from both the half-elf's nose and ears, as the thunderous sound ripples through the room. Shaking off the momentary daze, and sense of hearing mostly intact, Zarron points the pole at the skeledog now attacking Ghiso.

"BAD DOG!" he admonishes it with great disapproval and indignation.

== OOC ==
    Vicious Mockery. DC 13 WIS save. On a fail, suffer (1d4)[3] psychic damage and next attack roll is at disadvantage.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2020-08-17 at 10:09 AM.
    Now Playing

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

"Ack! Taara, Lanitfat, next time you want to open a door do it when we are not interacting with an undead" Ghiso lamented, his usual demeanor broken by having a skeleton dog sink its teeth in his hand and thunder piercing his ears, and tried to get his hand free.

Show
    Con save! (1d20+4)[6]

Athletics to counter the grapple! (1d20+5)[21]

If he is successful Ghiso will immediately get out of reach of the dog.