New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Cuddy

Cuddy remains hidden in the shed, daggers out, listening on to the exchange but keeping out of sight in the event his skills are required.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes that is Varre, how is he doing?"

-----

Cuddy is currently about 200 ft away from the conversation right now.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

He's... Ellis says, thinking about her words. Alive. Not well-but when we left, he was at least not dead.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Cuddy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay then... Good to know.

Cuddy sneaks closer to the group.

Spoiler: Stealth Roll
    Show
    (1d20+7)[11]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Taara, not seeing any immediate danger, gets off the cart and goes as near as Ellis is.

"when did this start?" she asks, leaning on her staff. Her hair drags on the ground slightly behind her; she had let it down when she slept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"I hope the healers of Qsen are taking good care of him. I do not know exactly when it started, but most of the town had already succumbed to the sickness when I arrived a few days ago from the nearby monastery. I have been doing what I can but I am just a humble friar."

He sees Cuddy, "You can come out my friend, there is nothing you need to hide from here."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Seeing as that noone answers him and that he can contribute nothing to the discussion, Adamas lights up a torch and starts to scare away the rats, saving all the food he can and putting it into the cart. The villagers might need it.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Taara begins a cold sweat at hearing the word "monastery" but returns to calmness when she realized they said "nearby" monastery.

She looks around. Are there any people looking out from the buildings, others watching us, or is everyone pretty much lying down in their beds?

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[13]
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    "I hope the healers of Qsen are taking good care of him. I do not know exactly when it started, but most of the town had already succumbed to the sickness when I arrived a few days ago from the nearby monastery. I have been doing what I can but I am just a humble friar."
    Your help is valued, Ellis replies.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am brother Mathias, let me show you to the inn."

He leads you into town to the Prancing Pony. There is no activity at all in town, the only sounds are from the wind and the stream.

The Inn is filled with the entirety of the village. Everyone is laying on makeshift beds and wrapped in blankets. There is only one person that is moving about doing what she can to care for the sick.

"That is Elyn, Varre's mother. Elyn and her husband Urdur run the Inn."

----

Adamas makes progress in harvesting food from 1 of the 17 fields within the town's walls.

-----

Show
    I linked a map of the town in a previous post so that you have an idea of the town layout.
    It might have been overlooked, there is a link in the first post of the OOC thread.
    Also I will probably be unable to post this weekend.

11. - Top - End - #131

Ellis looks over the people, doing a quick count as to how many there are. Who's most ill? she asks. I have a small amount of healing magic I can use, but limited enough that I don't want to waste it.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Taara watched Ellis go to the inn. She stood for a while, then returned to Adamas, who was harvesting the food.

"Hey, Trunksplitter," She began, quietly and timidly. "Did you have parents where you came from?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Trunksplitter, deep in his newfound interest in the farming arts, takes a minute to process the question.

Just when he thinks he has started to understand the lowlanders, something comes up. Don't they have parents here? They do, he saw children and their mothers back in Qsen.

"Of course I did, Staar! I have a father, Bearhugger, a mother Moondotter, two brothers, Stonespitter and Pathwalker, and a bigger sister, Riverrun. But I am the strongest and taller of them all, Riverrun the wisest, Pathwalker the quickest and Stonespitter the funniest.

Do you have brothers and sisters?"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Taara sits and contemplates how to respond.

"None of the people I trained with at the monastery had siblings, no. Most of us were unwanted children or orphans. The dragon-people avoided talking about parents or siblings around us, but I heard the word from one of the boys when another wouldn't stop asking him about it." She wiped a tear. "I don't know what I am though. Unwanted, or orphan."

She paused for a moment, looking up at Trunksplitter, with a neutral face looking back at him. Almost like a star.

"What are you, though, Trunksplitter, if you're here?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Adamas stops and looks Taara in the eye. He is not sure how to respond.

"My people have a saying. They say children are the gift who graces the giver. Life is harsh in my lands. People die easily or are left to die, if they cannot help the tribe anymore. But children are never left. Whoever left you must have been really stupid, even for a Lowlander.

We also say something else. Family is given, friends are picked. So perhaps you are not unwanted or an orphan after all."

Adamas continues picking food.

"But what am I? I am an explorer! I am here to find how Lowlanders can be so weak and stupid and still do so well"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Mathias returns to carefully feeding broth to the townsfolk.

There are over 40 people laid out in the inn. The young and the elderly are in the worst shape. There are several children that are on the edge of death held in their unconscious mother's arms.

Elyn says "You should treat the youngest first I think they need the most help. I am doing what I can, but the town apothecary is on a trip to Forndell and is not expected to be back for quite some time."

Show
    You know from the map you got, or studied in Qsen, that the city of Forndell is over 100 miles away.

17. - Top - End - #137

Ellis moves to five of the most ill children in turn, healing them as best she can.

Show
    Lay On Hands, one point to each kiddo.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Adamas sees by chance the inn and can barely make out the chimney. By habit, he starts to wonder how good food would have been there. And the idea strikes him.

There is fully stocked kitchen there. Probably supplies too. And there is a whole village to feed.

He starts picking vegetables again, but with a purpose. Carrots, onions, potatoes all go into great heaps. As the day progresses, Adamas works like someone possessed, first cleaning the vegetables, feeding the fire, having water boiled, spices brought in. But after four or five hours, a large cauldron of vegetable soup laced with potatoes, onions and bacon is ready. When the monk comes back, Adamas pours out bowls for everyone in the village.

19. - Top - End - #139

Ellis, once the healing is complete, asks Adamas Need any help? I'm not a great cook, but I've got a strong back, and I know how to pick the food properly.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Taara silently helps Adamas harvest. She lets her mind wander from her traumas while doing so, just repeating what Adamas told her over and over in her head.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

With so many helping hands, Adamas finishes very quickly. He manages to make some food for the next day as well, and for his teammates to eat.

If he has time, after he himself eats, Adamas will go and explore the town.

Spoiler: OOc actions
    Show
    Not sure how much time is left in the day. If he has time, Adamas will go and explore the town for anything that would explain what happened here, paying attention to wells and other places who could have been the sources of the illness.

Also, should we ask who was the first to get sick or something?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellis' healing does much to help the children, but they are not out of the woods yet.

-----

With the party cooking and caring for the sick Mathias and Elyn are able to get some much needed rest.

-----
    It is around 7 PM but there are still a few hours of daylight left.

Adamas walks through town getting the general lay of the place.

Tamor is build on a hill adjacent to the Usival river. There is a stream that flows through the middle of town powering the a grain-mill and sawmill with waterwheels and feeding into the river.

There is a working fountain in the middle of the town square where many townsfolk probably get their water.

The livestock pen next to the butcher's has several carcasses lying where they fell in various states of being consumed by scavengers. The water troughs appear to have water flowing through them.

Show
    I am assuming that you are not entering into any of the other buildings yet.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Taara silently follows Adamas around as he looks through town. She dips her hand in the fountain water, trying to imitate what Ellis was doing.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron Gemblossom has been on the road for some time, the accumulated grime and the occasional scrape from hiding or otherwise avoiding predators testify to the fact.

This might well be a fool's errand, for the newly-minted bard to set out after the motley crew going towards Tamor Town. But what else was there to do? Almost every reputable adventuring group require adventuring experience, but to get adventuring experience, one must join an adventuring group. A vexing chicken and egg problem to be sure.

Inexperience is but one part of the half elf's problems. Pedigree is one, for he was an orphan on the streets until he found a temporary apprenticeship. His skin color is another impediment. Certainly no one has shouted "Darkie!" or hurled another racial slur in his face, but Zarron's street smarts can easily sense the caution and unease in the eyes of everyone he talks to. There is a guardedness likely due to his skin color that does not appear to exist for a fairer skinned elf. Unfortunately for the half elf, he seems to have inherited his night elven parent's skin color.

But by far, the biggest stumbling block is Zarron's youth. The silver-haired dark-skinned half elf bard is midway through his 15th year, or so he appears to be no matter how old he tries to pass himself as, since he doesn't really know for certain how old he actually is. In the City, nobody wants to recruit such a young greenhorn like him; but further away, perhaps the standards are more lax.

And so, Zarron creeps into the quiet town. In the distance, his perceptive eyes spy the lumbering Goliath that appears to be making the rounds. The first interaction is key - someone that big will likely laugh in his face and tell him to go home. On the other hand, if he makes contact with someone less masculine, he might even get a slot into the group.

Finally deciding on a course of action, Zarron strives to avoid the Goliath's attention as he penetrates further into this dead village.

Stealth (vs Adama and Taara's perception): (1d20+5)[16]
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-12 at 10:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Adamas walks around unmindful of the little elven bard that tiptoes around him. After identifying the dead livestock as diseased, he tries to see where the initial outbreak was, even by going in houses, until it gets dark.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron

Upon ascertaining the Goliath's course of action, who seems to be methodically searching for something, young Zarron heads off in the opposite direction. The big lug was checking out the stables; Zarron sneaks by him easily, as well as the female wood elf skulking about, as he makes his way to poke his head in the Butcher shop. He will continue to circle around by visiting the Tanner and the Carpentry shop as well, looking for signs of life other than these two.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #147

Ellis, after trying her best to cheer the sick villagers, takes a few moments to head outside. She finds a spot to sit, and just meditates, breathing in deep breathes.

You left home to do good. You're doing good here-just maybe not as much as you expected. It's not about being a big, glorious hero-it's about lifting up those in need, she thinks to herself.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Adamas and Taara find no specific spot that stands out as an epicenter of the outbreak, it is like the whole town was hit at the same time.

-----

Aside from the other adventurers and a mule in the pen next to the stables, Zarron finds nothing alive that is larger then a rodent on the south side of the stream that cuts through town.

-----

With everyone in the center of town among the buildings the sound of hungry rodents gorging on crops returns.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron enters the stables, and approaches the mule with some nuts from his rations.

"Hey there, what're you doing all alone in this village?"

The boy makes a point to observe the creature (is it healthy or sickly?) as he pats it down to befriend it.

Rolls, if applicable.
    Animal Handling: (d20+2)[15]
    Medicine: (d20+2)[6]
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

The mule eats the nuts and lets Zarron pet it. However he is not able to discern if the mule currently is sick.