New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Zarron sees the monk hit herself in the head for no good reason and leaves abruptly. Mystified, he starts to shadow her stealthily.

Stealth
    (1d0+5)[6] 12 total, as rolled in OOC. Probably not enough to beat her passive perception.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-23 at 09:29 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarron is unable to determine if the death was directly or indirectly from the plague.

-----

There is a small graveyard on a nearby hill outside of town where you lay the person to rest and Mathias conducts a simple service.

-----

Your water-skins are beginning to run low.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Ellis finds Mathias and Elyn, and asks them When did this all start? Was there any signs of it coming? Anything else you think might help?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron finds his curiosity overpowering his thirst, and so he continues to shadow the monk who seems to be looking for something.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-24 at 07:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Taara hears something behind her- she turns and looks, descending into a crouch, thinking it might have been a rat. She stands in disappointment, noticing it was only the night elf boy.

She turns back around and continues going about finding a rat or two. "What is it?" she asks Zarron, facing away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron jumps as the monk ducks.

"I--I saw you punch yourself in the head and take off so I followed you to see if you're okay," he stammers.
    Now Playing

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Taara continued looking, deep in thought. This boy was new to her entirely- he obviously wasn't like Kaj, who was a leader and was stoically quiet, nor was he exactly like Maut, who was always asking questions boastfully. Chand is the closest to this Zarron- jumpy- but they weren't exactly the same. This confused Taara: everyone she had met since she left the forest was the same as one of her three friends in some way, or at least the same as one of her masters.

She sighed as she turned over a rock or something, looking for rats. "Where are you from?"
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-26 at 03:26 AM.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Elyn: "I was on a trip with my son over to some of the farms to the east to do some trading. When I got back a few days ago I found the town already beset by this plague. After applying what little medicine I know it became apparent that we would need help so I sent my son to Qsen for aid."

Mathias: "The day before yesterday I came into town with my mule on a routine supply run for the monastery up the path that heads up into the mountains to the east. During the trip I noticed some unusual activity among the wildlife. It might have been my imagination but I think the creatures of the forest might have been fleeing from something in the mountains."
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-10-24 at 11:24 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

9. - Top - End - #189

Ellis thanks the people for their answers, and finds some of the others in their little adventuring party. She locates Zarron and Taara first, telling them I talked to some of the villagers who're still up. One of them mentioned that, as he was returning to Tamor, the animals seemed to be fleeing the mountain.

It's not much, but if that's the source, we might do more good there than here.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Trunksplitter is not sure how important the finding of Ellis are, but he nods anyway.

"I am, myself, tired of the rats in the fields.The food will be needed after we find the cure. I will go in the field and kill those rats. Perhaps we can see if they are sick after. Anyone with me?"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Qsen ma'am," Zarron replies. He doesn't press for a reply when it appears that she is lost in her own thoughts.

Instead, when the Goliath arrives, Zarron is eager for some action. "Yeah let's go beat up those rats. They were so loud last night. Are there any cats here who can help kill them?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-26 at 03:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Taara cracks her knuckles and begins doing some warm-up stretches, in silent agreement with the others' sentiments. This thing in the mountains was intriguing, but also creepy. She doesn't like creepy.

She stands from her stretches, jumping in place with her feet together to work up a sweat. After a little bit, she stops and pulls out her bow and sets her quivers right. Taara approaches and stays near Trunksplitter until they find rats, where she'll let him charge in while she shoots from the back.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron points to the fruit tree right in front of the closest field. "Can you give me a boost, Mr. Trunksplitter sir?"

Ensconced above the tree leaves, Zarron has a bird's eye view of the situation. Taking out his pan flute, the bard starts to play, forcing a bit of magical force into the effort.

Instead of music, what instead comes out appears to be a cacophony of cat screams and yowls, continuing unabated and increasing in volume as time passes!

Spoiler: Rolls & Actions[/roll
    Show
    Initiative: (d20+3)[7]
    Athletics to climb: (d20-1)[12]. Advantage roll, if applicable, should Adamas assist. (d20-1)[12]
    Cast Minor Illusion, to goad the rats to run for it. DC 13 Intelligence (Investigation) check to disbelieve.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-10-28 at 11:42 PM.
    Now Playing

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing she'll need to get in close to kill the rats with all this cover they've got, she cracks her knuckles and readies up.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Trunksplitter at first starts, trying to see where the cats are. As soon as he realizes that it is the young bard who does it, he waits, his hammer at the ready, to see if rats are going to come out.

He is in a mood for some bashing.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

The sound of cats causes some of the rats to run away, but most of the rodents are made of tougher stuff, or are just too far away.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Zarron is in a tree mid field about 40 ft due east of the shed next to the Inn on the map.
    Other characters are in the vicinity of the shed unless they would like to specify otherwise.

Zarron has acted in the surprise round, the other characters can act in whatever order the players happen to post in.
    One swarm has been dispersed and only a few of the larger tougher rats from it remain. They are 20 ft east of the tree.
    Swarm 1 is about 90 ft NW of the shed, Swarm 2 is about 80 ft NE of the shed.
    I can post a proper battle-map if it would help.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Tired of waiting, Adamas walks towards the rats in north and west.

"I am going to kill some rats!" he yells as he strides to the field. When he gets there, he jumps into the field and starts laying at the rats with his great maul.

"Ancients, harken!"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

Walk to the field - probably taking two rounds- and then attacking when in range
    (1d20+6)[9] dmg (2d6+4)[14]

18. - Top - End - #198

Ellis shrugs, and says Right with you, buddy.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d8+3)[6]

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Not wanting to get in close where the rats might bite her, Taara decides to shoot an arrow at the rat swarm Ellis and Trunksplitter were trying to kill. She moves closer so she's confident she's in range. A haze seems to try to take her over, as she pulls back the arrow like had happened to Domorn, but she shakes it off and looses it into the swarm of rats.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Move to AL17; Shortbow arrow against Rat Swarm 1: (1d20+5)[12] hit: (1d6+3)[9]
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-30 at 11:06 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

The barbarian and the paladin surge forward to rid the farmlands of the infestation, however the pesky little rodents are not what they are used to fighting and manage to evade their attacks. Then an arrow flies in and skewers a few of the rats.

Show
    The surprise round is now complete.

PDF battlemap
    PNG battlemap

Zarron is currently in the tree at AX x 19, there are 4 rats near it remaining from the dispersed swarm.
    Adamas and Ellis are with a rat swarm 1 at AH x 10.
    Taara is at AL x 17.
    Rat swarm 2 is located at AY x 12.

Initiative when relevant:
    19, Adamas
    17, Rat Swarm 1
    16, Ellis
    14, Rat Swarm 2
    13, Taara
    7, Zarron
    6, Rats A, B, C, & D

For round one of combat:
    @Zergrinch, Zarron is 180 ft away from the rest of the party so the intended targets for both Bardic Inspiration and Vicious Mockery are out of range.
    You can go back and edit you post if you want to do something else, otherwise your bardic inspiration has not been used yet and the Vicious Mockery will target the closest available rat.

Spoiler: GM's Rat HP tracking
    Show
    Swarm 1: 19/24
    Swarm 2: 24/24
    Tough Rat A: 4/4
    Tough Rat B: 4/4
    Tough Rat C: 4/4
    Tough Rat D: 4/4
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-10-31 at 01:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Barely has he gotten comfortable in his elevated vantage point, when Zarron spies his allies leaving him to fight a swarm much further away.

"Hey! Don't leave me here!" he yells out.

Unable to do much of anything else, the bard secures his pan flute, brings his rapier out, points it threateningly at the nearest tough rat, and yells several invectives at it.

After which, Zarron descends from the tree and rushes towards the party, giving the swarm in between them a wide berth.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have a ranged weapon... How silly of me to climb that tree!
    Action: Vicious Mockery against nearest tough rat. DC 13 WIS save (d20)[15]. On fail: (d4)[4] psychic damage and its next attack is made at disadvantage.
    Move: Down the tree, towards the west (avoiding the rat swarm to the northeast).
    Now Playing

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Taara backs up at hearing Zarron's plea, and turns around. She aims and shoots at a rat at the base of the tree he's in.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show
    Move to AP/19. Shortbow shot at one of the individual rats: (1d20+5)[6] hit: (1d6+3)[6]

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas, in full combat mode, once again sweeps his great maul in a wide circle, trying to get as much of the rats as possible

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Atk (1d20+6)[24] dmg (2d6+4)[10]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellis and Adamas tear into the mass of rats and the giblets go flying as their weapons strike true.
    The rats try to fight back but cannot keep up with your footwork.

Taara's arrow zips past its intended target, scaring the rodent causing it to run away.

Zarron's mockery is not quite vicious enough to cause the rats any harm. They look around in confusion not sure of what just happened.

Show
    The round one is now complete.

PDF battlemap
    PNG battlemap

Zarron is at AW x 19.
    Taara is at AP x 19.
    Rat A at BB x 17
    Rat B at AZ x 20
    Rat C at AZ x 20
    Rat D at AZ x 20

19, Adamas
    17, Rat Swarm 1
    16, Ellis
    14, Rat Swarm 2
    13, Taara
    7, Zarron
    6, Rats A, B, C, & D

Show
    Swarm 1: 11/24
    Tough Rat B: 4/4
    Tough Rat C: 4/4
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2019-11-05 at 01:31 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wading chest-deep into the grain fields, Zarron plays a discordant tune on his flute while subtly directing most of the dissonant sound into one of the few rats that remained after his illusion, before slowly making his way towards Taara and the rest of the group.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Vicious Mockery against Tough Rat B. DC 13 WIS save (d20)[12] to avoid (d4)[3] psychic damage and have disadvantage on next attack.
    Move full speed to AT20.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-11-05 at 02:29 AM.
    Now Playing

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Taara continues to move as she nocks another arrow, stacking up with Zarron. Without paying any mind to him, she looses her arrow and allows it to sail just over his shoulder. Her expression doesn't change, but she watches Zarron intently.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to AS20. Attack Tough Rat C with shortbow shot: (1d20+5)[14] hit: (1d6+3)[9]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron nearly jumps out of his skin as an arrow whizzes just over his shoulder and impales one of the rats against the ground. He stares wide-eyed at the wood elf monk, the rash part of him wanting to berate her, and the rational part of him not daring to say anything lest she shoots a hole through his chest.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-11-05 at 03:14 AM.
    Now Playing

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

"Haha!"

Adamas bellows triumphantly as his maul crushes rats left and right. He continues to attack viciously left and right, trying to preserve the food all the while.

Spoiler: OOC attack
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] dmg (2d6+4)[10]

29. - Top - End - #209

Ellis stays quiet, leaving the others to banter against the animals, as she swings with her hammer.

Show
    (1d20+5)[14]
    (1d8+3)[8]

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Many more rats fall to the ferocious assault. There are only a few left and in their panic they are unable to retaliate.

Zarron's psychic attack causes another rat to flee in terror with a migraine.

Taara's arrow skewers one rat.

Show
    The round two is now complete.

The rats have not rolled above a 5 yet on attack rolls.

PDF battlemap
    PNG battlemap

Zarron is at AT x 20.
    Taara is at AS x 20.
    Rat A at BB x 17
    Rat B at BA x 21
    Rat C Dead
    Rat D at AZ x 20

19, Adamas
    17, Rat Swarm 1
    16, Ellis
    14, Rat Swarm 2
    13, Taara
    7, Zarron
    6, Rats A, B, C, & D

Show
    Swarm 1: 5/24
    Tough Rat B: 1/4
    Tough Rat C: Dead