New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town

Trunksplitter

Trunksplitter only just notices that Staara was naked.

Strange custom, that one.

But he then laughs a pleased laugh.

"Sure Staara! Sure! It is good, the way of my people. See: Every Cord counts a winning or a losing. This Cord is for battles. This, for feats of strength and spirit. This, for other competitions. See? Today, I won. This is the knot for winning. It is a double knot, because I was not hurt at all. See? Like this.
    This is the single winning knot. This is for a normal winning. Like this. See?

And this is the knot for losing. But it is bad luck to tie it in your Cord. I will show using my purse string. See? Like this.

Do you want me to make you Counting Cords?"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Taara nods along, nodding again when Trunksplitter asks if she wants a cord of her own.

She runs her knuckles against the small of her back, touching the spot where her tattoo is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

"You want the Cords! Very good! Very very good!

The leather must be stout. I will search the town for suitable leather. I will make some for you."

He then looks at Staara with unusual solemnity in his eyes

"For the People, my people, to receive the Counting Cords marks someone as a person. You are then considered an adult, because only adults can truly win or lose. Children are still...young, and learning. The Cords are usually made by the family and given by the Chief.

I am neither. But it will be my honor to make them and give them to you."

He then smiles and laughs

"Ha ha! You will be the smaller People of all People. But how fun if someone tries to fight you! They will have a smashed face, ha ha!"

Immensely amused by the idea of Staara smashing the face of a goliath, Trunksplitter goes to search for suitable leather, unless someone has something to say or do.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Taara matches Trunksplitter's facial expression through his speech, paying attention to the parts about tradition and giggling when he mentions smashing faces.

She follows him to watch him find suitable leather, unless someone has something to say or do.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron wipes the blood and gore from the little rodent off his rapier. He looks forlornly at the remaining fields.

"We've got more to clear, and I need a ranged weapon. Do you suppose they have a crossbow around?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-11-19 at 04:23 AM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

Ask them, Ellis replies. While I'd be a little surprised to see a crossbow about, a bow is more likely than not.

Does anyone need a bit of healing? I've not much to go around, but I can help a little.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lay on Hands, 5 points.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron takes the half-smashed in pumpkin, and gingerly heads for the makeshift hospital. Hopefully, parts of it can be salvaged and be used to make a soup.

He knocks on the door and enters.

"I'm sorry about your pumpkin, sir, it was an accident. We're still trying to get rid of the rats in your fields, and they're stronger than I thought. I was wondering if you have any simple ranged weapons we can borrow to take them out from afar?"
    Now Playing

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Elyn tells Zarron "You can try looking in the old guildhall, you might be able to find something."

Back before these lands were tamed and eventually settled by farmers the guildhall was used as a staging point for adventurers, now it is only ever used for storage and as a lockup for travelers that break the rules. Most of the weapons that are there are in rather bad shape and are in need of substantial repair, but you are able to fine a working shortbow, a quiver of arrows and a few shortswords.

-----

Adamas and Taara are able to locate the tanner's shop. There is plenty of leather and leather working tools, but Tomas the tanner is still at the inn and is in no shape to provide service.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Half of Taara is disappointed that she has to wait to get a cord, the other half wanting to just reach up and grab a suitable piece of leather. Somehow, a third half wells up inside her saying she never really cared if she got a cord or not.

She silently rests her arms on a countertop and scrunches her face against them, though her expression is neutral underneath the mask of her smooth brown arms. Her braided hair flops to one side.

"..." she remains quiet, staring forward at the leathers.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter see no reason to wait. He takes a suitable piece of leather, some cutting shears and a straight piece of wood and starts making cords.

When he is done, he presents them to Staara.

"Here you are!"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Taara accepts the cords with a smile, immediately imitating the knots Trunksplitter tied earlier, a single knot which she frowns a bit at, and the spot where the rat bit her still aches though Ellis healed it. She turns to Trunksplitter to ask a question.

"...Should I add my other wins? Or is that bad?"
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-11-20 at 02:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Elyn tells Zarron "You can try looking in the old guildhall, you might be able to find something."

Back before these lands were tamed and eventually settled by farmers the guildhall was used as a staging point for adventurers, now it is only ever used for storage and as a lockup for travelers that break the rules. Most of the weapons that are there are in rather bad shape and are in need of substantial repair, but you are able to fine a working shortbow, a quiver of arrows and a few shortswords.

-----

Adamas and Taara are able to locate the tanner's shop. There is plenty of leather and leather working tools, but Tomas the tanner is still at the inn and is in no shape to provide service.
    Zaaron thanks Elyn and heads off to the guild hall. He scoops up the shortbow, quiver of arrows, and a spare shortsword, and heads back to the rest of the group. He scans the horizon for any brave rat he might be able to use as target practice!

Perception: (d20+4)[14]
    Now Playing

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Trunksplitter pauses to think, actually sitting down for a moment.

"I am not sure. I will tell you my thought. Start from now. This is something new. This is a new start."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Taara looks disappointed again for a moment, still smiling, staring at the one knot on the cord that dangles from one arm, while the other arm holds the rest of the cords. Then, she lightens up, thinking again about smashing the heads of people who challenged her.

"...Okay," She mutters with a feigned groan, still smiling. "Thanks, Trunksplitter!" she says with delight, hurriedly taking her cords and placing them gently in her backpack.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Colossus in the Playground

Ellis will go back to where the bulk of the village is, checking on how they're doing.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaaron sees a rat snooping around some beans.

Show
    It is completely unaware of you, advantage on attack.

Ellis returns to the center of town to find that nothing has changed in the five or so minutes that she has been away.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron gleefully strings an arrow, and shoots!

Spoiler
    Show
    To-hit with advantage (d20+5)[9] (d20+5)[25]
    Damage: (d6+3)[4]
    Critical Hit: (d6)[5]

9 piercing damage to rat.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-11-21 at 03:16 AM.
    Now Playing

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarron manages to disperse a swarm with an illusionary sound of angry cats.
    Ellis and Adamis move into melee while Taara attacks with a bow and Zarron taunts. The remaining rats are dealt with swiftly before they are able to fight back.

Adamas is the first to get the next group of rats and they swarm up all over him and start biting. Taara enforces the stereotype that all elves are amazing archers by picking several rats off of Adamas with bow and arrow.

Show
    We are back!
    In six short rounds you manage to kill off two swarms and clear out one of the two remaining sections of fields.
    I rerolled the damage for Taara's ranges attacks to be with the shorbow.
    Adamas takes a total of 9 damage from two attacks.
    Zarron only uses one inspiration and no spell slots.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"You don't look so good, Mr. Adamas. Maybe you should take it easy on the next one."

(Bardic Inspiration plus Healing Word, rolls in OOC)
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-12-06 at 02:41 AM.
    Now Playing

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Adamas

Adamas can feel the rats bite him and trying to tear his flesh, but he will not have anything of it.

"Stone give me strength!"

he shouts, as his skin becomes stone strong for a second, his wounds closing.

He then tears into the rats once more

"Save your magic! I will crush these into a pulp!"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Atk (1d20+6)[23] dmg (2d6+4)[9]

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Taara masterfully shoots the rats in such a way the arrows do not come out the other side and Pierce Trunksplitter, aiming to lodge the shafts in their skills or spines.

She also pays attention to Zarron's healing magic; under her breath between each shot, in order to keep her mind from clouding, she repeats the incantation, though it creates no effect.

She ties two knots in her cord and moves on, following to the last field.

Show
    Doing rolls for field 3 now.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-12-07 at 01:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

The last fight is short but fierce. The party engages the rats with Adamas storms in landing a solid hit causing the rats to climb all over him biting and scratching. Taara get in a solid shot before Zarron's illusion causes the rats to panic. Adamas and Ellis take a few more hits as the last of the rats are swiftly dealt with.

Show
    The fight does not even last 3 full rounds.
    Adamas takes a total of 8 damage from two attacks, Ellis takes 4.
    This concludes the mass rat extermination.

As you have an abundance of rats to dissect I am letting you take 20 on medicine.

After inspecting the rats you realize that none of them appear to have any sign of the plague.

Spoiler: DC 15 Nature
    Show
    Small rodents such as rats do not typically drink water from streams, ponds, puddles, etc. They get all the hydration they need from dew and the food they eat.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nature check: (d20)[17]

"Are you all right, Mr. Adamas sir?" Zarron asks the barbarian. He's seen him take a good number of hits.

"So," he muses aloud, sneaking a glance here and there at the ripped clothing of the elf girl, "the rats are unaffected by the Plague. Could it be that there is something in the water in the village? Because I cannot think of anything else!"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-12-10 at 02:35 AM.
    Now Playing

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

"They came from the woods, which are upon the foothills," Taara says as she ties two knots and eyes how many knots Trunksplitter has.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6]

"And water flows from the mountains to which the forest leads. The source may be corrupt." she finishes fetching her arrows, putting her at around 95% of her original stock.

She takes one unusable arrow, pierces one of the mostly intact rats like a dagger to a sleeping person as she sits crisscross on the ground, and starts to tear into it with her teeth. It brings her a sort of nostalgic feeling.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Trunksplitter

Sporting dozens of little bites, Adamas is bloddied but nevertheless he laughs with joy when the rats disperse.

"Ha ha ha! Ancients harken!"

He then cleans his weapon and takes some time to clean his wounds and himself. He carefully ties two knots in his Counting Cords. Seeing no other way to be useful, he goes back to the kitchen, to make some more food for the village.

At the last moment, he notices that Taara is trying to tear a rat with her teeth. He rushes near and slaps it from her hand.

"Staara, why you do this? Here is a dagger to open it up. And we have good food in the kitchen! You will get sick. Don't do that."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron's eyes grow as large as saucers as the dainty elf starts tearing into raw rat flesh. Something that he had contemplated before as an urchin, but fortunately never had to actually do.

Instead, Zarron takes a sack and starts stuffing in all the dead rats that he can see.
    Now Playing

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Taara stares off, seemingly numb to Trunksplitter's motions and his words. She tunes him out, faintly remembering the first feverish days in the forest, and sighs as he finishes.

Her eyes then meet his between the loose pink hairs that have fallen out of her braids. Without breaking eye contact she picks up the rat, this time placing it in Zarron's sack.

"Hungry," Taara intoned softly, placing a hand on her forehead to ease an ache. "Thirsty, tired. When I'm tired I... Slip sometimes."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After he gathers up all the dead rats he can see, as well as any usable arrows he had fired, the young bard takes the sack and heads back into the village.

All the while, he keeps sneaking glances at the elf, but not daring to say anything lest she shoots his head off. How could someone so proficient with a bow and their own hands be reduced to eating vermin? Could she not hunt the fauna from the forest?
    Now Playing

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Umm," he nervously says, as he prepares to head back, "come rest. You took some damage too." Subtly interlacing some sing-song magic along with his words.

Healing Word on Taara: (d4+3)[4] HP recovered.
    Now Playing

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

The party heads back to the Inn to roast some rat kabobs.

A little while later two adventures arrive on the outskirts of town.