New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XXXVIII: toy soldiers r srs bsns

On one hand I'm not optimistic to see new models. On the other hand, when Death Guard came out, they got a bunch of new stuff, so it's not impossible either.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Too much variation? This is 'your' army, right? A repressor is a rhino with a shovel on front and a flat box on top.

Those are less extra parts than a regular predator or a Russ and its variants :s
    I’m Thinking in terms of the kits they are likely to make, and how much it varies from those. They tend to do kits that can do two different variants, so thinking through the options we have one ‘basic’ kit, which would be rhino/immolator, and another ‘artillery’ kit, Exorcist and something else. The extra parts for the repressor don’t really fit with either set: it’s too much stuff for the ‘basic’, and doesn’t fit nicely with what the exorcist needs. Plus, the Repressor directly competes niche wise with the rhino/immolator, so releasing both kits is diminishing returns.

I might be wrong! But I don’t think an update to a forge world kit is likely to be a priority slot, particularly as its ‘thing’, fire points, isn’t really used anymore in the game. I would not be at all surprised though if forge world did a new repressor set somewhere down the line.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    I’m Thinking in terms of the kits they are likely to make, and how much it varies from those. They tend to do kits that can do two different variants, so thinking through the options we have one ‘basic’ kit, which would be rhino/immolator, and another ‘artillery’ kit, Exorcist and something else. The extra parts for the repressor don’t really fit with either set: it’s too much stuff for the ‘basic’, and doesn’t fit nicely with what the exorcist needs. Plus, the Repressor directly competes niche wise with the rhino/immolator, so releasing both kits is diminishing returns.

I might be wrong! But I don’t think an update to a forge world kit is likely to be a priority slot, particularly as its ‘thing’, fire points, isn’t really used anymore in the game. I would not be at all surprised though if forge world did a new repressor set somewhere down the line.
    Their fire slots should, if done correctly, work like the lasgun-slots on Chimerae.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Have there been any real changes to the chimera since 2nd Edition? Model wise, not stats wise.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #185
    Banned

Thats the worst possible dual kit. A 'sisters' rhino is just a rhino with a different door. Rhinos already exist (and come with a bunch of fiddly bits) so just adding a door swap wouldnt be enough to call it a 'dual kit'. Arent exorcists rhinos as well? I'd feel its more likely to see Immolator / Exorcist than Rhino/Immolator.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Seems to be how GW is doing things these days. But then, o will forever be salty about the dunestrider.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arent exorcists rhinos as well?
    They are, the metal organ/missile launcher basically slots into the top hatch of a regular plastic rhino, though the metal pieces are the most mishappen bits of bastardry ever concieved by man or daemon.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    the most misshapen bits of bastardry ever conceived by man or daemon.
    I want to make this a thread title so bad.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thats the worst possible dual kit. A 'sisters' rhino is just a rhino with a different door. Rhinos already exist (and come with a bunch of fiddly bits) so just adding a door swap wouldnt be enough to call it a 'dual kit'. Arent exorcists rhinos as well? I'd feel its more likely to see Immolator / Exorcist than Rhino/Immolator.
    I believe it's a complete new rhino kit, focusing on being much more ornate, rather than additions to the current rhino (which is all the Immolator/Sisters Rhino kit currently is). All I have to go on though is a community post from back in April: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...hicle-details/

I'd be surprised if immolator/exorcist was a duel kit, as they have very different turret builds: exorcist is weighted towards the back of the model, whereas Immolator turret sits towards the front. GW designs dual kits to have limited redundant parts (and not enough to easily make a second), which is why I'm kind of expecting something else that is similar to the Exorcist.

Edit:
    So, for clarity, what I expect to see is
    1) Base tank kit, making rhino+immolator
    2) Upgraded tank kit, with the above plus an extra frame in order to make exorcist + something similar
    3) Maybe something else as a different upgrade frame: this is where the repressor would be, except it is a transport and so wuite similar to immolator/exorcist: would they give Sisters 3 transports in the codex? I doubt it.
    Last edited by Avaris; 2019-09-06 at 11:01 AM.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

More Space Marines' trash...

Spoiler: Chapter Relics
    Show
    The Armour Indomitus; <Infantry> or <Biker>. Armour save becomes 2+, and once per game, before saving throws are rolled, you can gain a 3+ Invulnerable until the end of turn. The value of this Relic is extremely situational. But still, it's best used on Characters who are likely to start the game in your opponents' face but don't have an Invulnerable save - like a Phobos Librarian. Still, not a good use of your Relic slot or even a CP.

The Shield Eternal; [Storm Shield] or [Combat Shield]. Model gains Ignore Wounds (5+). Characters that can take Storm Shields have 6 or less wounds, unless you also burn your Warlord Trait to give them an extra Wound. So having this Shield lets them potentially survive a 6-Damage attack. Not going to be worth using every game. But certainly worth losing a CP over if your opponent warrants it.

Standard of the Emperor Ascendent; <Ancient>. The Astartes Banner ability gains +3". Because Astartes Banner targets models, not units, this extra 3" might matter, and quite a lot, in fact. Friendly <Chapter> units within 9" auto-pass Morale tests (not neccessary), and enemy models within 9" have -1 Leadership (also not neccessary). This Relic is fairly worthless.

Teeth of Terra; [Chainsword]. An extremely strong weapon-Relic made all the more better because Chainswords are free. S5, AP-2 at 2 Damage a pop is baller, especially with +3 Attacks.

Primarch's Wrath; [Boltgun] or [M-C Boltgun]. Turn a Boltgun into a Storm Bolter with an extra point of S, AP and D. Best use is on a Techmarine because then it's free on a BS2+ model. Captains and Lieutenants are stuck with M-C Boltguns are thus are paying 3 Points for it. Lame.

The Burning Blade; [Power Sword] or [M-C Power Sword]. With Thunder Hammers costing 40 Points, and TBB costing a tenth of that (usually), this is the best weapon in the book. Teeth of Terra is much better against most Infantry models because of the +3 Attacks. But the higher Strength (7) and vastly superior AP (-5, lol) of the Burning Blade makes it a lot better at dropping single targets like Daemon Princes.

Purgatorus; [Bolt Pistol] or [Heavy Bolt Pistol]. Relic Pistols are automatically bad. The only almost good ones are the ones that can target <Characters>, which this...Can't. So, why even bring it up. Who cares? Next.

Reliquary of Gathalamor; <Primaris>. Enemy Psykers within 18" take -1 to Psychic Tests, and, if said models within range fail a Psychic Test, they take D3 Mortal Wounds on a 4+. This is not a Perils of the Warp, so Craftworlds' Ghosthelms don't work against it. In a lot of metas this is an auto-include to take on a Phobos Librarian, who combines it with a Psychic Hood for -1 and +1 for a net total of +2. Also, this turns 11s into 10s. So Smites are also slightly less effective if your opponent rides on that strategy. So...Yeah. An extremely useful Relic for a lot of people. But, if that's not your meta, then take something else.

Belicos Bolt Rifle; [M-C Auto Bolt Rifle]. Assault 4 lets your Primaris Captain move around the board. But why are you running a Primaris Captain?

Lament; [M-C Stalker Bolt Rifle]. The ****? Just take a Phobos Captain and don't waste your Relic slot. This thing can't even target <Characters> so what the Hell is the point of it? That being said, it does a Mortal Wound every time it rolls to wound. That's...Okay. But a Phobos Captain is Just Better, and has an Assault weapon, not a Heavy one, and so moves around the board sniping Characters. The only difference between this and a Phobos Captain is that Lament has S5, and that's really good. But a Phobos Captain has a lot more going on than a gun. Just...Don't take this.

Ghostweave Cloak; <Phobos> model with Camo Cloak. Your opponent has -1 to wound vs. this model. -1 to wound is exceptionally strong. But, not really on any of the models that could potentially take this.

Tome of Malcador; <Librarian>. Gain an additional Power from a Discipline you have access to. This Relic is a lot stronger when you start looking at Supplements with better Power sets. The ones in the core Codex aren't worth taking a Relic over.

Benediction of Fury; <Chaplain>. The best weapon in the entire book - including The Burning Blade. However, this is made up for by the fact that Chaplains have less natural attacks than a Captain, and don't normally re-roll 1s to hit. While Litany of Hate is a Thing That Exists, it only happens on a 3+ and there's a chance you might not use it because you're using another Litany. But, at the end of the day, this is certainly a Relic you can build a model around. But you could also do the same thing with a Captain and Burning Blade and do...Better.

The Honour Vehement; <Chapter> models within 6" lose Shock Assault. But, instead, gain +1 Attack, all the time. This Relic certainly has value is your models are likely to end up in protracted Melees. But, remember that you play Space Marines. So if you go for a turn of combat, and your opponent's unit isn't dead...Why don't you just Fall Back and have your army shoot them with a lot of shots?

The Vox Espiritum; <Primaris>. Add +3" to aura abilities to a maximum of 9". This allows you to have a bigger castle than you normally would. Remember than on an Ancient, Emperor Ascendant would do exactly what this does, except also more.
    Due to the omission of '...on its Datasheet', there is some contention of whether or not Warlord Traits (e.g; Master of the Vanguard) count as Abilities... They don't.

Spoiler: Disciplines and Litanies
    Show
    Librarius Discipline
    Veil of Time (6); 18". Friendly <Chapter> unit gains re-rolls to Advance and Charge, and gains Always Fight First. The good range and easy WC value makes this a very strong Power. The real problem is finding a decent Melee unit in this book that would need this...

Might of Heroes (6); 12". Friendly <Chapter> model gains +1S, +1T and +1A. This Power is very strong since you can manifest it on Vehicles (i.e; T9 Land Raiders). It can also be used to boost your Melee Characters to give you a Burning Blade that hits like a truck.

Null Zone (7); 6". Enemy models within range lose their Invulnerables and halve the value of their Psychic Tests. WC7 makes it slightly difficult to cast, and its short range makes it a pain in the arse to use properly. A very niche Power.

Psychic Scourge (6); 18". Targetable Smite that requires a Leadership roll-off. A decent second Power you can always pick up if you can't think of anything better. Remember that there are ways to give your Librarians extra Leadership to make sure this works. A targetable Smite is really good when you can get it to work.

Fury of the Ancients (7); 12". Draw a line between your Psyker and the target. Each unit under the line takes a single Mortal Wound. Just...No.

Psychic Fortress (5); 18". Target <Adeptus Astartes> unit auto-passes Morale tests and gains Ignore Mortal Wounds (4+) in the Psychic phase, until your next Psychic phase. The other good 'second Power' in the book.
    Unlike Stratagems, this Power can be manifested on units that aren't in this Codex.

inb4; The first Power you're picking should almost always be Veil of Time or Might of Heroes.

Obscuration Discipline
    Shrouding (6); 18". Target <Chapter Phobos> unit can only be shot at if they're the closest unit. Not great, unless you're desperately trying to protect your Eliminators. Your Incursors and Infiltrators are already going to be the closest unit.

Soul Sight (6); 18" Target <Chapter Phobos> unit gains re-rolls to hit, and Ignore Cover, until next Psychic phase. So you can re-roll all your Overwatch if your opponent charges you. Pretty decent.

Mind Raid (6); 18". Target model takes a Mortal Wound. Just takes it. Boom. If the model you targeted (this is not a Shooting attack) is a <Character>, roll 3d6 vs. their Leadership. If you're equal or better, gain a CP. lol. Very good. The range isn't even terrible either.

Hallucination (6); 18". Target unit takes -1 Leadership, then rolls 2d6 vs. their Leadership. If the roll is greater only, they have -1 to hit until your Psychic phase.

Tenebrous Curse (6); 18". Target unit that doesn't <Fly>, takes a Mortal Wound, and then halves their Movement, and their Advance and Charge rolls. Very strong Power. Good WC value, good range, and a very strong debuff.

Temporal Corridor (7); 3". Target <Chapter Phobos> unit immediately takes a movement. Additionally, they must Advance, albeit with 3d6 and picking the highest. A very strong Power, even if the unit you target doesn't have Assault weapons.

Litanies of Battle
    Litany of Hate; <Chapter> units within 6" gain re-rolls to hit with Melee weapons. Good if you need it.

Litany of Faith; 6". Target <Chapter> unit gains Ignore Mortal Wounds (5+).
    You can still cast Psychic Fortress on the same unit, gain a 4+ vs. Psychic phase Wounds, and then a 5+ in every other phase. You just don't roll Ignore Wounds twice.

Catechism of Fire; 6". Target <Chapter> unit gains +1 to wound with ranged weapons against the closest enemy unit. This can be broken, or extremely garbage. Depends if your opponent knows how to screen. And they should. Because your opponent isn't made out of straw.

Exhortation of Rage; 6". Target <Chapter> unit gain additional attacks (not hits) on 6s to hit with Melee weapons. Litany of Hate is straight up better. But, if you're hanging out with a Captain/Chapter Master as well, Litany of Hate isn't going to do anything, and that's where this comes in.

Mantra of Strength; Gain +1S, +1A and +1 Damage to all Melee weapons. Go, go Benediction of Fury! But this will mean you aren't re-rolling to hit. So make sure your Chaplain is hanging with a Captain for re-roll 1s.

Recitation of Focus; 6". Target <Chapter> unit gains +1 to hit with ranged weapons. Not bad.

Canticle of Hate; <Chapter> units within 6" gain +2 to Charge and can Pile-In and Consolidate 6". Very strong.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-09-06 at 01:08 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Null Zone (7); 6". Enemy models within range lose their Invulnerables and halve the value of their Psychic Tests. WC7 makes it slightly difficult to cast, and its short range makes it a pain in the arse to use properly. A very niche Power.
    It affects all enemy units, not models, within range. The range is still trash, but it makes the power somewhat better.

EDIT: Also, Psychic Awakening got more news dropped. The first books are definitely about the Eldar and the Ynnari.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...-galaxy-stirs/
    Last edited by Meatgrinder; 2019-09-06 at 03:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

They are, the metal organ/missile launcher basically slots into the top hatch of a regular plastic rhino, though the metal pieces are the most mishappen bits of bastardry ever conceived by man or daemon.
    Can confirm. I was so happy when I bought my army and two of them were the Forge World Excorsits with the Rocket Pods. Also, an Immolator is literally a Rhino with a gun in the hatch. Thats literally it. That's not a duel kit, thats a single piece of upgrade sprue in the Rhino Box.

I believe it's a complete new rhino kit, focusing on being much more ornate, rather than additions to the current rhino (which is all the Immolator/Sisters Rhino kit currently is). All I have to go on though is a community post from back in April: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...hicle-details/

I'd be surprised if immolator/exorcist was a duel kit, as they have very different turret builds: exorcist is weighted towards the back of the model, whereas Immolator turret sits towards the front. GW designs dual kits to have limited redundant parts (and not enough to easily make a second), which is why I'm kind of expecting something else that is similar to the Exorcist.

Edit:
    So, for clarity, what I expect to see is
    1) Base tank kit, making rhino+immolator
    2) Upgraded tank kit, with the above plus an extra frame in order to make exorcist + something similar
    3) Maybe something else as a different upgrade frame: this is where the repressor would be, except it is a transport and so wuite similar to immolator/exorcist: would they give Sisters 3 transports in the codex? I doubt it.
    Except they both use a rhino. The Organ of Doom just sits on the top of the back, and the turret just sits in a socket on the front. That is literally the only difference between the vehicles. One rhino gets you three vehicles with magnets. And you only have the magnet to make sure it doesn't fall off.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-09-06 at 06:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

I doubt we're getting a plastic repressor. There's been no signs so far of anything but remakes of the old metal stuff.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I doubt we're getting a plastic repressor. There's been no signs so far of anything but remakes of the old metal stuff.
    Not to mention the obvious that the repressor is FW and while I'm sure there's been at least 1 model that has gone from FW --> GW, I can't think of one off the top of my head (maybe the baneblade a million years ago?).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Colossus in the Playground

A whole bunch of Aeronautica Imperialis models, just this week? Admittedly they've been upscaled a little from the original Forgeworld Aeronautica models.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #196
    Banned

Not to mention the obvious that the repressor is FW and while I'm sure there's been at least 1 model that has gone from FW --> GW, I can't think of one off the top of my head (maybe the baneblade a million years ago?).
    not models but very recently a ton of paints did

17. - Top - End - #197

Cataphracti Terminators, Tartaros Terminators, Contemptor Dreadnoughts. All were Forgeworld resins before they came out in plastic.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Not to jump on the dogpile but it doesn't just happen when necessary for specialist games - the Valkyrie, Trygon, and variant Leman Russes all made the crossover.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    A whole bunch of Aeronautica Imperialis models, just this week? Admittedly they've been upscaled a little from the original Forgeworld Aeronautica models.
    Specialist games (especially ones not even on the same scale) don't count, otherwise you might as well count Titanicus models.

not models but very recently a ton of paints did
    Not models, doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Cataphracti Terminators, Tartaros Terminators, Contemptor Dreadnoughts. All were Forgeworld resins before they came out in plastic.
    Ah, thanks. Seems obvious when you say it.

Not to jump on the dogpile but it doesn't just happen when necessary for specialist games - the Valkyrie, Trygon, and variant Leman Russes all made the crossover.
    I didn't know the Valk was a FW only model, nor did I know there was a Russ variant that made the switch. The trygon I had forgotten about, thanks for the correction.

So, 5 models and a russ turret. I would still advise not holding your breath for anything else to suddenly make the jump, but as shown, stranger things have happened.

20. - Top - End - #200

Specialist games (especially ones not even on the same scale) don't count, otherwise you might as well count Titanicus models.
    Counting the plastic Reaver and Warhound as replacing the Forgeworld resin Epic Armageddon Reaver and Warhound would be stretching it, perhaps.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't know the Valk was a FW only model, nor did I know there was a Russ variant that made the switch. The trygon I had forgotten about, thanks for the correction.

So, 5 models and a russ turret. I would still advise not holding your breath for anything else to suddenly make the jump, but as shown, stranger things have happened.
    If I recall correctly, the Vanquisher, Exterminator, and Executioner were all resin turrets (and still survive as the mars-pattern kits). If anything is due for it, the Repressor is... but I suspect they would have brought up any new units already.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

If I recall correctly, the Vanquisher, Exterminator, and Executioner were all resin turrets (and still survive as the mars-pattern kits). If anything is due for it, the Repressor is... but I suspect they would have brought up any new units already.
    A Plastic Repressor kit would be generating hype. Hell, I may actually be a tiny bit excited for that. I love those things
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

So to help fill out my kill team options I picked up two random Space Marine heroes boxes (because there is nothing like cracking miniature packs to a magic player) and pulled the Ancient in Terminator Armor. Of course I pull the one option I couldn't use in Kill Team, lul.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Another tournament list that I'm workshopping, surprised I'm pretty close to actually having...

Tournament will be New!Maelstrom, so Objective-grabbing is barely a concern.

Spoiler: Turning Scum
    Show
    Cadian, Battalion
    (W) Company Commander; Boltgun, Grand Strategist - 31 Points
    Company Commander; Boltgun - 31 Points

Infantry Squad - 40 Points

Astropath; Laspistol, Psychic Barrier - 26 Points

Heavy Weapons Squad; Mortars (x3) - 33 Points

Cadian, Supreme Command
    Lord Castellan Creed - 55 Points
    Company Commander; Relic of Lost Cadia - 30 Points
    Primaris Psyker; Force Stave, Psychic Barrier, Psychic Maelstrom - 46 Points

Stormlord; Lascannons (x4), Twin Heavy Bolters (x5) - 560 Points

Astra Militarum, Supreme Command
    Commissar Yarrick - 100 Points
    Primaris Psyker; Force Stave, Nightshroud, Psychic Maelstrom - 46 Points

Shadowsword; Lascannons (x4), Twin Heavy Bolters (x5) - 560 Points <Vostroyan>

Total: 1750 Points | 10 CPs

Given that a Stormlord and Shadowsword cost exactly the same points, and I have magnets, I can switch for double Shadowsword...I don't know if I'll win more games that way, but I'll certainly make heaps of friends.

The Stormlord being Cadian means Overlapping Fields of Fire applies, as does Relic of Lost Cadia. To punish the **** out of anyone running Plaguebearers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2019-09-07 at 11:28 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Another tournament list that I'm workshopping, surprised I'm pretty close to actually having...

Tournament will be New!Maelstrom, so Objective-grabbing is barely a concern.

Spoiler: Turning Scum
    Show
    Cadian, Battalion
    (W) Company Commander; Boltgun, Grand Strategist - 31 Points
    Company Commander; Boltgun - 31 Points

Astropath; Laspistol, Psychic Barrier - 26 Points

Cadian, Supreme Command
    Lord Castellan Creed - 55 Points
    Company Commander; Relic of Lost Cadia - 30 Points
    Primaris Psyker; Force Stave, Psychic Barrier, Psychic Maelstrom - 46 Points

Stormlord; Lascannons (x4), Twin Heavy Bolters (x5) - 560 Points

Astra Militarum, Supreme Command
    Commissar Yarrick - 100 Points

Shadowsword; Lascannons (x4), Twin Heavy Bolters (x5) - 560 Points <Vostroyan>

Total: 1750 Points | 10 CPs

Given that a Stormlord and Shadowsword cost exactly the same points, and I have magnets, I can switch for double Shadowsword...I don't know if I'll win more games that way, but I'll certainly make heaps of friends.

The Stormlord being Cadian means Overlapping Fields of Fire applies, as does Relic of Lost Cadia. To punish the **** out of anyone running Plaguebearers.
    If only Emperor's Blade worked with the Stormlord. AM psykers are pretty worthless though, and Ive seen this list die hard to Coven-focused Drukhari and Harlies.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

AM psykers are pretty worthless though
    -1 to hit, and +1 to saves, are awesome on so many Guard units (Bullgryns and Super Heavies in particular).

I mean, yeah, I don't play those units, but it's super effective.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    -1 to hit, and +1 to saves, are awesome on so many Guard units (Bullgryns and Super Heavies in particular).

I mean, yeah, I don't play those units, but it's super effective.
    few things that can wound super heavies are going to care about the +1 save, and the -1 is on 1 thing. Maybe on a list like cheese's, but the you just shoot the other one. The ubiquituous snipers can eat AM psykers for breakfast though, so dont put too much stock in it; or keep them out of LoS where they can... do nothing. The -1 to hit also doesnt keep smash captains / chaplains or knights from pounding your face (and as AM you cant outrun anybody) nor does it matter to things like dark reapers or hemlocks

28. - Top - End - #208

few things that can wound super heavies are going to care about the +1 save, and the -1 is on 1 thing. Maybe on a list like cheese's, but the you just shoot the other one. The ubiquituous snipers can eat AM psykers for breakfast though, so dont put too much stock in it; or keep them out of LoS where they can... do nothing. The -1 to hit also doesnt keep smash captains / chaplains or knights from pounding your face (and as AM you cant outrun anybody) nor does it matter to things like dark reapers or hemlocks
    How many things are AP-5? Because even as much as AP-4 gives you better odds of saving with +1 to your Baneblade's save.

And -1 to-hit is a pretty big deal, though I forget if Nightshroud applies in melee too.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    How many things are AP-5? Because even as much as AP-4 gives you better odds of saving with +1 to your Baneblade's save.

And -1 to-hit is a pretty big deal, though I forget if Nightshroud applies in melee too.
    Nope, just during the shooting phase. And well, the +1 to saves would be cool if AM had any invulnerables on things that killed things, which they dont. Going from 'saves on 6s' to 'saves on 5s' isnt much of an upgrade. Sure, its not nothing, but I dont think its enough to justify filling a Supreme Command with.

Guard super heavies are just as easy to hurt as regular Leman Russes, and those die easily enough. With so much +1 wound around these days and Lascannons being S9, it'll go down to BS4 soon enough, and then stops mattering.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Hmm... Let's use a Space Marine firing a lascannon as a quick test. Factoring in multi-damage, it takes an average of 20.1 Lascannon shots to kill a Baneblade. If we give it +1 to save. It takes an average of 25.1 Lascannon shots. That's about a 20% increase in survivability. Not bad. What about meltaguns? Assuming we're within half range, it takes an average of 13.1 melta shots to down a Baneblade. If it's still getting a 6+? 15.7 average shots. That's only a 16.7% increase in durability.

The rough conclusion I'd take from this is that improving a baneblade's armor save matters less the higher the AP and the more damage of the weapon its facing. And anyone prepping for multiple super heavies will have some pretty impressive Anti-tank- Probably better than "just" lascannons or melta weapons.
    Last edited by Squark; 2019-09-08 at 04:17 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe