Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Wind Struck's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Greetings Wind Struck, and welcome to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now, one important thing to note is that this game is not Dungeons & Dragons. You are not a hero, you are not a being who is eventually able to snap your fingers and cast wish or attack nine times with a massive sword in the span of six seconds, you are an ordinary person, and just like ordinary people, you may become heavily injured (HP isn't just something that magically returns with a quick nap), suffer sanity-shattering experiences, or even die! However, someone has to make a stand against the horrors of the mythos, and the death or insanity of a single human matters little if it means postponing the eventual enslavement of humanity.

However, you may be one of the lucky ones who survive your encounters with unearthly beings, gaining knowledge of the horrors outside of our reality, power from volumes of arcane lore, and advancement in your skills as you become more experienced. You will (most likely) never reach the point of superhuman abilities akin to D&D or Pathfinder, but you can achieve something greater than the average of your kind.

Now that you understand the basic themeatic aspects of the game, prepare to journey onto your first adventure -- Alone Against the Flames! This is a horror story set in the 1920s where you are the main character. For the purposes of walking you through the story I will offer prompts and suggestions below each of my In-Character posts, but if you're feeling foolish confident feel free to forge your own path!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, set up a nice fire, and join the In-Character! Actually, on second thought, don't get too close to the fire.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-29 at 09:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wind Struck's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Interesting! Seems like someone has prepared me a heaping bowl of pasta by the roaring fire! Copy pasta that is.

But it saddens me you are not interested in people with superhuman abilities for your game. As a matter of fact, with a snap of my fingers, I can attack with a massive wall of text over nine times in six seconds...

Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit. But yes, I'm quite active. You should be expecting me to check in and make updates multiples times per day - any day - even on my work days. If I seem to disappear for more than a few days without a word, I've probably died or am in the hospital dying. Let's hope that doesn't happen!
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Interesting! Seems like someone has prepared me a heaping bowl of pasta by the roaring fire! Copy pasta that is.

But it saddens me you are not interested in people with superhuman abilities for your game. As a matter of fact, with a snap of my fingers, I can attack with a massive wall of text over nine times in six seconds...

Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit. But yes, I'm quite active. You should be expecting me to check in and make updates multiples times per day - any day - even on my work days. If I seem to disappear for more than a few days without a word, I've probably died or am in the hospital dying. Let's hope that doesn't happen!
    Hahahaha, good to hear! I will warn you a bit, there is going to be quite a bit of copy-pasta throughout this whole introductory scenario, but I'm glad to hear that you're active! Anyway, the IC should be up about now.

Of course, I would request you don't peek at the other player's ICs / OOCs for obvious reasons, but I'm pretty sure I don't have to inform you of that

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hold on. Before you listed out the skills, you said pick two. After writing it you said choose four. Which is it? I'm going to assume 2 for now...
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hold on. Before you listed out the skills, you said pick two. After writing it you said choose four. Which is it? I'm going to assume 2 for now...
    Oh! You're right, I was actually thinking "not 4" and wrote down 4 . It's 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Alright next question.. Does the study of classical literature and pop culture count among the possible skills I am supposed to be selecting now?

Or was that already selected on the previous IC post?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright next question.. Does the study of classical literature and pop culture count among the possible skills I am supposed to be selecting now?

Or was that already selected on the previous IC post?
    No, it doesn't. The purpose of that was to then for this consider what skills would apply to classical literature and pop culture.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, seems like I'm getting a ton of bonuses in skills just from character creation!

Is it possible to suggest other types of skills? For ex, Bible (or another religion) study, or Deceit (this isn't just fast talking. It's outright lying and making another believe you), Lore (say specific knowledges like classical literature or pop culture I brought up), or maybe something as strange and niche as a Profession (babysitting)?

Not saying for sure if I'd go with any of the above, just spitballing ideas for new skills.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, seems like I'm getting a ton of bonuses in skills just from character creation!

Is it possible to suggest other types of skills? For ex, Bible (or another religion) study, or Deceit (this isn't just fast talking. It's outright lying and making another believe you), Lore (say specific knowledges like classical literature or pop culture I brought up), or maybe something as strange and niche as a Profession (babysitting)?

Not saying for sure if I'd go with any of the above, just spitballing ideas for new skills.
    Hmmm... to be honest with you, there are a great number of skills as is, and given that I'm not the most proficient in this ruleset right now, I'd be wary to add additional ones. Also, for reference, I believe Education would be Lore (I think the skill is called "Know"), Bible study would in all honesty be placed somewhere in between occult and Know, Deceit would be Persuade, although the last one, I'm unsure of. Given that the occupations govern what skills one receives, I don't think there should be a skill for an occupation, as that's somewhat... confusing.

Nevertheless, I do most certainly appreciate the enthusiasm!

Also, yes, you get a lot of bonuses, but unlike D&D/PF those bonuses aren't going to change too drastically throughout your investigator's career.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-29 at 08:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Is the charm roll just to get her to stop talking? Deirdre could listen for... 20 minutes more? I don't know. She might start nodding off though.

Would a constitution roll to see if she stays awake to actually go to bed work?

Not that I expect you to write 50 pages of a middle-aged woman blathering on about her village life and family gossip and whatever. Surely she can't keep going on for hours and hours without noticing Deirdre fell asleep... lol

note: I'm the type of person that can listen to someone talk and talk about stuff. Maybe that's why I am doing this.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-30 at 12:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The charm roll in this scenario is twofold. Firstly, yes, it's for her to notice your state, but secondly it's to gauge how she views Deirdre, somewhat like a first impression. To be honest, Deirdre is quite confident it won't be to the point where you'd fall asleep in front of her, and yet... she does seem to have the gift of gab. Deirdre would probably think that given the small size of the town, May probably doesn't have too many new people to talk to.

I sincerely hope that I don't have to write all that, but ah, the things I'll do for RPGs lol.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ah well. On second thought, I have a feeling the bus aint gonna be fixed, so there's probably tomorrow if she wants to listen to her talk and talk.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So what you are saying about making note of successful uses of abilities is that you can improve the skills over time?

What about failures? Guess there's no learning from failure?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So what you are saying about making note of successful uses of abilities is that you can improve the skills over time?

What about failures? Guess there's no learning from failure?
    I'm taking note of whenever you make a successful skill roll that's associated with the adventure and has consequences for success and failure. Apparently, as written, there is sadly no learning from failure. At the end of the adventure, should Deirdre make it out, she will have the opportunity to improve such skills.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

How about another roll for Charm? Flattery? Check. Trying not to seem stupid or annoy the blacksmith... Maybe??

Charm: (1d100)[57]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, something I realized. The night before I had said Deirdre took her purse and one of her smaller luggage bags with her to May's house, then later it seems maybe you misread or assumed I actually took EVERYTHING. That would have been quite the pain, I assure you!

Do you think it was a mistake to narrate that Deirdre took everything, or do you think maybe Silas suggested it would be better? Eh, that definitely would have been suspicious. Otherwise, if it's just a mistake on your part, that means Deirdre is down on a lot of her luggage and has a bit more reason to be mad. Also a bit more reason to just wait for the bus again.

------

Also:

Psychology: (1d100)[85]

Fashion Design: (1d100)[25]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hey, something I realized. The night before I had said Deirdre took her purse and one of her smaller luggage bags with her to May's house, then later it seems maybe you misread or assumed I actually took EVERYTHING. That would have been quite the pain, I assure you!

Do you think it was a mistake to narrate that Deirdre took everything, or do you think maybe Silas suggested it would be better? Eh, that definitely would have been suspicious. Otherwise, if it's just a mistake on your part, that means Deirdre is down on a lot of her luggage and has a bit more reason to be mad. Also a bit more reason to just wait for the bus again.

------

Also:

Psychology: [roll0]

Fashion Design: [roll1]
    Ah! Yes, I remember reading that, and then writing something. Only to leave and return, confused why I'd written that very sentence. My sincerest apologies, yes, she would basically be only with her purse, her luggage bag, and what little cash she has on her at this point in time.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-30 at 03:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

*You mean her purse.. and the small luggage bag.

Just saying, she has a bit of something! Just not everything....

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

*You mean her purse.. and the small luggage bag.

Just saying, she has a bit of something! Just not everything....
    Welp, I am also blind apparently. Sorry about that (again).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Iím currently away from home right now, but yes. There is something that you learn as the fashion design did in fact succeed.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I see! No biggie. We've been going very fast for a pbp game anyway.. which is a nice change for once.

One more thing I remembered to bring up! So I think I understand the thing about taking note when succeeding on a check. Was the very first Dexterity check Deirdre made when the car swerved off the road also marked in such a way, or was that purely just an example of making a check?

Addition:

Spoiler: Character Description
    Show
    Deirdre McCoy is a young woman a little below average in height, standing at 5' 4", and quite a gorgeous one at that. Quite slender, with a beautiful face and divine curves, most men would easily peg her at a ten. Her hair is an autumny brown/red color, with a slight curl, and it freely falls down to her waist. Her eyes are a bright sky blue, full of warmth and light. Combined with her straight and fairly narrow nose, naturally thin eyebrows, and overall good looks, she can be a memorable one.

Here at the end of summer, Deirdre still prefers to wear her summer dresses whenever she gets the chance. She's packed quite a few of them, among other things for colder weather. With them she wears her mid-heeled sandals and often times her red bucket hat, though sometimes it just doesn't go with what she's wearing. Her nails are longer, and neatly rounded off in an oval shape and unpolished (I think nail polishes were only beginning to be made around this time). She has some other miscellaneous jewelry: some thin gold chain bracelets (likely not pure gold at all) and a necklace with a polished brass cross. If she was feeling responsible enough, she may have a pocketwatch in her purse to tell time.

Voice: Deirdre is of Scottish descent, and maybe a hint of an accent can be heard in her voice, but it's deeply muddled in with a southern accent. Overall she still might just sound "normal American" for the time.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-30 at 09:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, I see! No biggie. We've been going very fast for a pbp game anyway.. which is a nice change for once.

One more thing I remembered to bring up! So I think I understand the thing about taking note when succeeding on a check. Was the very first Dexterity check Deirdre made when the car swerved off the road also marked in such a way, or was that purely just an example of making a check?

Spoiler: Character Description
    Show
    Some Really Good Stuff!
    Yeah, that's the benefit of running a solo game plus having a DM/Keeper with a bunch of time off (for now).

As for the Dexterity check, skills can improve, but characteristics cannot (generally). Although the analogy doesn't hold too much up with some characteristics, one's size does not increase the more one uses their size. Now, characteristics can change when your character ages, but to be honest, this is not a common occurrence. Similarly, one's credit rating (we'll get there if we get there) does not improve with a skill check, given that one does not become more wealthy by giving off the impression that they're wealthy.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Actually wait. I might have seriously messed up. Just how "small" is this small bucket?

Well, I mean, I can probably put some ingredients in it, right? And maybe the Ms. Shopkeeper, who I never got her name yet, has a bag or two? (of course that probably costs extra in 1920)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Actually wait. I might have seriously messed up. Just how "small" is this small bucket?

Well, I mean, I can probably put some ingredients in it, right? And maybe the Ms. Shopkeeper, who I never got her name yet, has a bag or two? (of course that probably costs extra in 1920)
    It's ok, she'll give you a complimentary bag for all the service she's receiving. It seems that while this is the only general store in the village, that doesn't mean it's super frequented.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Fun fact. According to this website, September 2nd 1921 is a Friday.

Dunno why I was looking. Was wondering what day it was in relation to the others, like Truck Tuesdays or Church Sundays.

And yeah, the church might also be an interesting place to look at later too. The more I think about it, kind of strange it looks all decrepit.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-31 at 12:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

By the way, Iím currently at a convention so I wonít be available to respond until tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I saw your signature. Can't say I wasn't hoping for some action. But I totally understand. Hope you had fun.

What kind of convention was it?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Indeed I did! The convention was called Strategicon and I spent most of it playing Dungeons & Dragons, which was pretty enjoyable anyway. I'm back now, so... yay!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds awesome! Glad you had fun.

So yes, Deirdre is keeping silent. But I do want to be clear.... Deirdre isn't ignoring Ruth! Far from it. I think after that little incident she will pay extra special attention to the girl. But she won't say anything about ... that thing. Call it politeness and intuition, if you will.

About the cookies. You don't want me to make an arts/crafts (cooking) check? tbh I was dreading botching the roll. But on the other hand, cookies aren't TOO hard to make...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That sounds awesome! Glad you had fun.

So yes, Deirdre is keeping silent. But I do want to be clear.... Deirdre isn't ignoring Ruth! Far from it. I think after that little incident she will pay extra special attention to the girl. But she won't say anything about ... that thing. Call it politeness and intuition, if you will.

About the cookies. You don't want me to make an arts/crafts (cooking) check? tbh I was dreading botching the roll. But on the other hand, cookies aren't TOO hard to make...
    Yes, I gathered that! I was quite sure you weren't just ignoring her, I simply wanted to make sure that I didn't skip ahead where you wanted to stop and wait.

If you would like, sure, I'm ok with a Art/Craft (Cookery) check.