Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 118
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    For reference this is taken from Alone Against the Flames written by Mike Mason, Paul Fricker, and Gavin Inglis, thank you!

    Do You Hear the Call of Cthulhu?
    “The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

    Welcome to Call of Cthulhu, a Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now, to begin is quite simple, and this first introduction shall operate similar to a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story (this is done in order to help with an easy transition between the investigation-heavy Call of Cthulhu, and most other RPGs). Nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Alone Against the Flames.

    ----
    Unknown New England Town, 2:44 PM, September 1st, 1921.

    The sun is high in the sky, a merciless ball of heat. You feel scorched by the time you reach the bus halt in front of Osborn’s Drug Store. It’s a relief to put down your heavy cases and take off your hat for a moment. You fan your face. It has been a long summer here, in your hometown, and yet a curiously empty one.
    You look across the street at the grubby butcher’s shop, the grocers with its faded awning, and the shabby tobacconist. Mistrustful faces glare at you as they pass, eyeing your clothes and luggage. It was your parents’ choice to live here, not yours. You were happy down south as a child, among Providence’s white-walled houses and leafy churchyards. Perhaps this new job in Arkham will supply the change you need.
    Yet everybody you know in the world lives here. You know nobody in Arkham, not one soul. You ask yourself one last
    time if you are doing the right thing.
    The answer is here. None of your supposed friends have come to see you off. You are alone. Whatever challenges lie in Arkham, it will be a new life, and a brave one.
    A small gray motor coach approaches and rattles to a stop. You put your hat back on and pick up your cases.

    Two young men with sullen expressions alight from the coach. One looks you up and down before heading away. The driver also steps down, glancing at you before crossing the road to visit the tobacconist. When he returns, he is rolling a cigarette between his yellowed fingers. He gives it a final twist and examines you as he reaches for his matchbox. He is a thin man in his fifties, dressed in a stained shirt with the bus company emblem. Yet his eyes are sharp in their dark sockets.
    Where to?

    You show him your ticket for Ossipee. From there you will connect to Rochester and Portsmouth, before the coastal line to Newburyport and, finally, Arkham. You should be able to afford a rail ticket for at least some of the way; otherwise this will be the first of many long bus trips.
    Mmm-hm.” The driver scratches the match and lights his cigarette. The end flares as he takes a draw. Then he exhales and gestures to the back of the coach. “Luggage rack’s up there.

    ----
    In Call of Cthulhu (somewhat like most other RPGs) there are eight characteristics Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Appearance, Size, Power, Education, and Intelligence
    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"

    For the very early image you have of your character, please rank these characteristics in whatever order you choose. No need for anything other than this right now. Also, yes, I understand that this is not really your standard introduction to an In-Character Thread, but let's roll with it!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    • Strength: This is a measure of the physical prowess of your investigator
    • Dexterity: This is a measure of the agility and speed of your investigator
    • Constitution: This is a measure of the physical toughness and stamina of your investigator
    • Appearance: This is a measure of the physical appeal of your investigator
    • Size: This is a combined measure of your investigator's height and weight, also used in determining their force behind their attacks and health
    • Power: This is a measure of your investigator's mental stability, force of will, or spirit
    • Intelligence: This is a measure of the logic and cunning of your investigator
    • Education: This is a measure of your investigator's tutelage, be it from formal education or the "school of hard knocks"
    1. Intelligence: Cunning required to navigate the traps of the world
    2. Power: Mental fortitude to survive the state of things
    3. Appearance: Part vanity, part acknowledging the advantage it can give, part genetics
    4. Education: hard fought when found
    5. Dexterity: more time spent with smaller things than heavy things
    6. Constitution: less focus on internal bodily mechanisms than the external
    7. Strength: slight builds are more appreciated afterall
    8. Size: Blessedly on the bottom of the list for vanity's sake

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    1. Intelligence: Cunning required to navigate the traps of the world
    2. Power: Mental fortitude to survive the state of things
    3. Appearance: Part vanity, part acknowledging the advantage it can give, part genetics
    4. Education: hard fought when found
    5. Dexterity: more time spent with smaller things than heavy things
    6. Constitution: less focus on internal bodily mechanisms than the external
    7. Strength: slight builds are more appreciated afterall
    8. Size: Blessedly on the bottom of the list for vanity's sake
    Splendid! And I really enjoy the actual commentary of why such things would be for your character. It helps me visualize them even more
    ----

    The driver smokes and watches as you drag your cases to the back of the motor coach. The rack is set inconveniently high on the vehicle. You get a grip on the heavier case.

    You struggle for a few seconds before the driver comes up beside you and lends a hand, still puffing on his cigarette. “Heavy bags for a small ‘un,” he remarks. You judge it best to respond with a simple mutter of thanks.

    The driver flicks his cigarette into the gutter and steps into the motor coach. Its engine coughs into life. You board, grateful that you will be the only passenger for the initial part of your trip at least. With mixed emotions, you watch from the window as the tired avenues of your old home slip behind you, receding into the distance. For a few minutes, you can still see the church spire over the brow of a low hill. Then the road dips and it, too, is gone.
    Arkham is your new home. You will travel there, and make a new start.
    ----

    Note that you have a sanity score that is based on your power, throughout the game this sanity score will most likely fluctuate wildly. In addition, you have a number of Magic Points also based on said power. This will deplete and over time eventually return back to its original score. However, in all likelihood, magic points shall rarely be used by an investigator early on in their career, but it is important to note that they do exist.
    ----

    The coach putters through the countryside. At first, the interior is stifling and your stomach lurches with every bend in the road. However, the driver opens his window, and by switching seats you find a spot where the breeze hits your face. You soon relax into the journey, observing the quaint little hamlets that the coach serves. A heavy-set woman boards at one settlement and gives you a polite nod. She gets off at the next one.
    ----

    You have a certain amount of hit points based on both your Constitution and Size. Your current may fluctuate, but it is unlikely to ever exceed its maximum.
    You also have something called a "Luck score." This is used to represent when circumstances external to your investigator are in question, and also when determining the fickle hand of fate. Please give me 3d6 to assist in generating your beginning luck.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-29 at 09:50 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I'm grateful for the driver helping out, usually something that I might expect out of someone in the south, but people up here seem to want to keep to their own and expect everyone else to be just as self-sufficient. I politely give him thanks, but not too much... it also seems that being too friendly is met with suspicion. I forgo any other formalities and merely get in and find a seat all while keeping my clothes as quiet as possible.

    And I'm almost grateful for the emptiness of the not-so-homey town I've had to adapt to. The apathy at this moment is, in a way, welcome. The last thing I can appreciate. Oh, had some showed up to wish me off, I would have bid them a fond farewell. But if the truth of it is no one really cared at all, I'd much rather not have anyone pandering to themselves over it either.

    With some luck, I'll have little need to interact with anyone, though I am truly hoping Arkham isn't going to be the same. I do long for some meaningful connection...

    (3d6)[5][3][3](11)

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The road rises a little, passing cornfields and orchards. The leaves are turning and the trees are alive with glorious reds and golds. You have just begun to doze when the driver takes a tight bend at speed.
    ----

    Please now give me a Dexterity roll. What this means is that you'll be rolling a d100 and comparing it to your Dexterity. For now, I hold your stats (mwahahahah), but eventually, I'll hand the character over to you once I feel like you've got a good handle on the mechanics (presumably at the end of the adventure)! So in the meantime, just give me a d100 roll.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The falls in New England are a thing to behold. The great forests of the southern US are spectacular, with visits up to the alpine piedmont and the lower end of the Appalachian, but the brilliant colors up north are a spectacle wrapped up in a chilly breeze that's soothing. But a sudden turn keeps me from fully closing my eyes...

    Dexterity (1d100)[65]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You rolled above your dexterity, which means that you have failed your role. Interestingly, in Call of Cthulhu, your stats are what actually determine the difficulty of your attempt as opposed to a set DC like in D&D.
    ----

    A desperate yell shakes you out of your reverie of the beautiful view. You feel yourself slide from the seat as the driver spins the wheel and the motor-coach plunges off the road. Too late, you reach for the seat in front. You fall into the aisle and your ribs crash against the edge of the seat opposite. Breath rushes out of you. The coach stops with a thump.
    Your driver leaps from his seat into the road. As you sprawl, dizzy, in the aisle, you hear a string of incendiary curses.
    The driver climbs back into the cab and sees you on the floor. He looks concerned and assists you back into your seat. You see what has happened now. A Fordson tractor has stopped in the road and he had to swerve to avoid this steel obstacle.
    Sorry,” he says. “All them fields and he has to pick the road to park. You all right?
    You don’t think anything’s broken. But you’ll have a colorful bruise for the next few days. The throbbing pain itself should hopefully end with a good night's rest. The driver then backs the coach up a little and threads it around the tractor, glaring at the farmer.
    ----

    You have sadly lost 1 hit point in this accident. Eventually you will heal back up to your maximum, but note that if you sustain a massive amount of hit-point loss, or if you fall to 0 hit points, you will fall unconscious or even die.
    ----

    You resume your journey. The driver takes the curves with more caution than before. He glances over his shoulder at you a couple of times.
    Sorry about before,” he says. “That fella was dumber than a hog. I’m Silas. What’s your name?



    The accident was at least as much Silas’s fault as the farmer’s. But it doesn’t seem shrewd to antagonize the man while he is driving you through the middle of nowhere.
    ----

    Make up a name for your character and I'll mark it down. You may add your age; for the purposes of this adventure your character should probably be aged between 23 and 36.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-29 at 12:50 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "It's just fine, but best be wary of more hogs who aren't used to sharing." Hog doesn't need to be too smart if it owns the road. Best not try and correct my own driver.

    "I'm Helen, Helen Vandiver," I respond to him while still trying to work a pleasant expression across my features. My side is sore where I struck the other seat and I feel I may have bent a nail a bit too far trying to push my skirt down so quickly. I seem more concerned with that enamel than the bruise. One is hidden from view, afterall. My long brown hair is still in a bun and I return my hat to the seat next to me where it too was tossed into the aisle. A freshly-minted thirty-year old woman should not be without her hat. I shudder to think what this has done to my powder... I should never have worn the stuff.

    Helen Vandiver, age 30, born Aug 28th, 1891

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The coach turns onto a narrower road, which weaves uphill through woodland. Silas becomes chatty.
    Ah, going to Arkham then, Helen? Can’t say I ever heard of the place. Went to Boston once. Didn’t like it. Too much hustle and bustle. You got family there? A special someone waiting?
    The afternoon is wearing on. You see no harm in confiding in Silas about your new life.
    A job, eh? What’s your line?

    ----
    Now it's time for your character to choose an occupation. In Call of Cthulhu an occupation provides you with several occupation skills. It's comparable to a class, but the main distinction is that it's not representative of all your characters abilities, and it does not really affect advancement.
    Some common occupations for investigators include:
    • Antiquarian
    • Doctor of Medicine
    • Journalist
    • Private Investigator
    • Professor
    • Something Else... (we can discuss)?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "I've heard of it, but never really visited Arkham before. My aunt lives out there... lived out there." I correct, though maybe I should have kept it known I was going to be with someone even if it weren't true. Aunt Roselle died almost ten years ago and my cousin, whom I've never been introduced to nor remember his name, lived in the house until recently. Been vacant for a couple years or so. It's better than Dunstable, a bit closer to Boston if not too. "Meeting a friend out there. I work... for a general store looking to open a second location, third, rather if we want to be technical about it. I gather it's a good a place as any and at least worth some suit's time in thinking of putting a dimer out there."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Silas gives a pleasant nod as Helen recounts her tale and plans for the future. It's not extremely obvious, but the gruff exterior has been lessened slightly. You cannot help but feel that he approves of a more rural job like managing a store, even if Helen is a woman (shakes fists at the 1920s). Nevertheless, he does not contribute too much else to the conversation, content to keeping his eyes on the long winding road ahead of him.
    ----

    You gain the following occupational skills: Accounting, Electrical Repair, Listen, Mechanical Repair, Psychology, Spot Hidden. In addition, please choose two interpersonal skills that you would use to run your business from the following four:
    • Charm - physical attraction, seduction, flattery, or simply warmth of personality.
    • Fast Talk - specifically limited to verbal trickery, deception, and misdirection, such as bamboozling a bouncer to let you inside a club, getting someone to sign a form they haven't read, making a policeman look the other way, and so on.
    • Intimidate - browbeating or making verbal threats to get your way.
    • Persuade - convince a person of a particular idea, concept, or belief through reasoned argument, debate, and discussion (although this does not necessarily have to employ the truth).

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    A touch of sympathy can go a long way, and not calling someone out can as well. There is the fine line between showing complicity in what they do and simply showing some compassion. I let the silence manifest once more, reaching over and touching my side while giving a slight wince at my clumsy examination. I'll just wait until I'm alone in a room where I can properly examine what it is. Perhaps a few shades of violet.

    Charm and Persuade.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    You soon realize Silas hasn’t made a stop since the incident with the tractor. The motor coach winds its way uphill. However, your thoughts are interrupted as the road crests a ridge and you are treated to a magnificent view of the vista below.
    A creek snakes through the valley, breaking the rich autumn palette of the tree line. In the distance the White Mountains rise into hazy cloud. There is no settlement, not even a cabin, as far as the eye can see. Birds drift through the treetops, and you can just make out what might be two white-tailed deer lingering by the water.
    Perhaps you are making a mistake by moving to the city. Could you maybe survive on your own in this lush wilderness?
    ----

    I'm just going to note that just because a skill is not from your occupation or personal interest, you can always attempt it. That's not to say that you'll have a large chance of success but there is almost always a chance. Now, speaking of personal interest skills, please choose four more skills that are not from your occupation (Accounting, Electrical Repair, Mechanical Repair, Charm, Persuade, Psychology, Listen, and Spot Hidden) that are your personal interests.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Now that you've chosen your occupation and your personal interest skills, please rank your occupational skills just like you did with your characteristics - from best to worst. For reference, your occupational skills are: Accounting, Electrical Repair, Mechanical Repair, Psychology, Charm, Persuade, Spot Hidden, and Listen.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    1. Persuade
    2. Listen
    3. Accounting
    4. Psychology
    5. Charm
    6. Spot Hidden
    7. Mechanical Repair
    8. Electrical Repair

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    The motor coach rattles on through the hills and Silas lapses into silence. The sky darkens behind you, pinks tinting the clouds as the sun descends. Finally a welcome sight comes into view: a settlement on the crest of a hill. This doesn’t look like the pictures you’ve seen of Ossipee. But perhaps you can persuade Silas to stop while you stretch your legs.
    Minutes later, a harsh stuttering from the engine interrupts your reverie. Silas frowns and rattles the gear stick. The motor coach falters in its ascent. Silas utters a curse you don’t recognize and grinds his teeth, struggling at the wheel. You seem to inch up the hill until you reach the first buildings, low dwellings constructed from a rough red stone. Silas wrestles the coach into a small bay off the road. He scrambles from his seat and makes for the engine compartment.
    ----

    Now it is time to make our first skill check! However, I'm going to offer you the choice between two, but you could arguably think of doing something else and I'll rule what it would be for now. If you want to try both at the same time, you can try, but it would be much harder (inform me if you want to do this and I will detail what you would have to do). Do you think your character would go out and check on the car, if so, please give me a Drive Auto roll (a d100 which I will compare to your drive auto skill [you consider yourself an amateur in this field]), or does this all seem strangely convenient - breaking down right as you enter a village - and you'd like to guage Silas's reactions, if so, please give me a hard Psychology roll (a d100 which I will compare to half your Psychology skill [you consider yourself a professional in this field]). Either way, roll a d100 and tell me which one you'd rather compare it to.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-30 at 11:45 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    While I might help take a look under the hood of an automobile, I'm not about to without being asked. I doubt Silas will. Likely he knows what's going on and what it'll take to fix it... I wonder what Silas thinks of breaking down here. Small little village area just as we got to it. Though there was a bit of a hill, and that's something that could cause a vehicle to sputter.

    Psychology: (1d100)[82]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    In all honesty, the way he's moving, his intonation, and everything is rather different from those who you've met before. Not incredibly different, but compared to the urban-folk you're used to dealing with, this driver is almost impossible to actually get a read on. Either way, coincidences happen, and to be honest, it's lucky you ended up next to a town instead of miles away from one.

    Silas opens the engine compartment open and sticks his head inside. The hot metal pops and sizzles. He pokes at various components, then withdraws and wipes his brow, smearing it with dark grease.
    I ain’t sure what’s wrong. Might be the oil pressure. Might be something knocked off kilter when we took that spill. Can’t do much until the engine cools neither. And with the light failing… I reckon we’ll be here through the night.” He wipes his hands on a rag.
    The shadows from your surroundings are already long, and the air is chilly. You feel stiff from the journey and a night in the rickety coach sounds unappealing. Silas sees your dismay.
    This here’s Emberhead. Miles from anyplace. I only come through twice a week. But the folks here are good people. May Ledbetter keeps a spare room. She’ll look after you. Up that alley, turn right, first house on the left.
    He scratches his cheek, looks again into the engine compartment, and spits on the ground.
    Meet me back here at eight in the morning and we’ll see how’s we stand.
    ----

    Now we're entering the more freeform part of the adventure. Nevertheless, given that this is still an introductory scenario. I'll be providing little prompts at the bottom of example things your character could attempt so that you can formulate a post in-line with general Call of Cthulhu ideas. In this instance, I have three possibilities.
    1. Head out and look for this May Ledbetter's house
    2. Ask Silas where he's going to stay the night
    3. Challenge Silas about the breakdown
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-30 at 11:59 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    A sense of suspicion washes over me from somewhere, but for the time being I'm determined to weather though this and just pray the 'get over it' isn't going to be too difficult.

    "Only twice a week? That's practically a resident. I'll see to May Ledbetter. Can you help me get the smaller luggage from the top? That one with the floral pattern on it? Where will you be staying?"

    Rolls as necessary for determining reaction to works and such. [rollv]3d100[/rollv] Messed up roll formatting...
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-08-30 at 12:44 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    No roll required for now. If rolls are required, don't worry, I'll mention it.
    ----

    Silas nods, recalling how he himself loaded them up in the first place. As he's lifting them off the rack, you ask about Silas’ plans. He gives the engine a sour glance before answering.
    I’ve got acquaintances here in the village. Reckon one of ‘em owes me a favor. Enough for bed and breakfast, in any case.” He stares at his grubby hands. “Probably won’t stretch to a hot bath.
    You don’t seem to have a lot of options. Silas hands your luggage over. The last thing you need is for all your worldly possessions to disappear into some stranger’s hovel overnight.

    You drag your cases between the sullen buildings. You feel surprisingly weary, considering you have spent all day sitting down. Silas’ directions lead you to a modest dwelling with a slate roof. A nameplate reads LEDBETTER, and underneath, a sign in neat copperplate reads, LODGING ROOM. The lane around you is gloomy, but a lamp flickers in the window.
    A breeze chills your face. You’re not about to begin your new life by sleeping in the street. You rap on the weatherbeaten door.

    After a moment, you hear footsteps inside the house. A bolt is drawn back and the wooden door swings open. A figure with loose curls and a rough-looking housedress peers at you. Her gaze takes in your traveling suit and your cases. Her voice has a slight Irish lilt.
    Hello. Should I take it as you’re looking for a room for the night?
    You enquire as to her rates, suppressing a grimace. As far as you’ve seen, the village does not offer you many alternatives.
    Oh, you’ll find them very reasonable,” she says. “You look tired. I’m May. Come inside and we’ll talk over a cup of tea.
    The Ledbetter house feels cramped, with a low ceiling and simple fittings. But it is well kept and a cheerful fire crackles in the grate. The aroma of the tea is soothing and the cup warms your fingers.
    Have you come to Emberhead for the festival?” asks May.

    ----
    Again, just simple prompting, you do not have to follow these ideas at all.
    1. Do you want to explain what happened with Silas and his coach?
    2. Would you rather ask about what this festival is?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-08-30 at 12:49 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "Good luck," I tell the man as I take my worldly possessions down the path along the said route. I mouth May a few times, feeling uncomfortable. I've never met a May that I liked.

    Still, the quaint nature of the abode along with the generally cheery attitude is enough to calm me for the time being. Just get through this repeats in my mind over and over, allowing me to forgive shortcomings and inconveniences such as this for the time being.

    "Oh, I'm afraid not," I answer the woman while staring down at the tea, enjoying the warmth of the cup a little. I'm not keen on drinking hot tea and often don't mind it cooling off completely. "I'm passing through with a coach driver, Silas. The automobile came under some troubles, and he's having to attend to them. I'm on my way to Arkham, just north of Boston. What and when is this festival?"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Emberhead, 7:35 PM, September 1st, 1921

    As you mention Silas, May shakes her head and you glimpse a moment of deep-seated anger in her green eyes.
    He always drives too fast. Thinks the road is made for him and him alone. He hit a mare some years back, that was a terrible thing. You should have seen the state of the coach. You’d be surprised at the damage done.
    She sips her tea and gazes past you, into the corner of the room.
    With living here, though, we can’t afford to antagonize the man. He’s about the only link we have to the world at large. And he’s not a bad soul at heart. I suppose that going the same route for fifteen years makes a man careless. You have to forgive him.
    May goes silent for a long moment. Then her eyes flick back to you.
    I'm sure you didn’t come here to listen to me blather, and you must be hungry. I can rustle you up a bit of stew. How would that be?

    As one of you sips tea and eats a hearty stew in front of the fire, it crackles and you can't help but feel warm to the bone, maybe it's because you've been in a motor coach all day, or maybe it's because of how poorly insulated this home is, but either way, the fire is truly soothing. As you soon ask about the festival, May continues. “Well now, I suppose the Festival is about the only reason folks come to Emberhead. I thought you had maybe come to study it or take photographs. Well, it’s not tomorrow night but the night after. I suppose it looks very strange to a passerby.
    May tops up her tea. The spout chinks against her cup.
    We’ve got the Beacon, you see. One night every year there’s a torch-lit procession and we light the Beacon on the cliffs. You’ve never seen the like of it. They say it keeps the spirit of the village alive for another year. It’s a celebration. A celebration...
    She trails off for a moment, and blinks.

    Emberhead, 8:33 PM, September 1st, 1921

    In the silence, you view it as the prime time to ask again about her rates, and May names a price so low you accept it without hesitation. The room is small but comfortable, and the stew dark and hearty. After dinner, you have a little while before your usual bedtime. What would you like to do?
    ----

    So, some provided ideas would include things like talking to May some more, investigating the town during the nighttime, or just heading off to bed, as it was a long day of travel.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I listen to the local woman, May, speak about the festival. It seems something rather... local, once more. There's little more I can think regarding it. Keeping the spirits away. Seems all baked in some older traditions, though I'm a bit surprised by that given how prevalent Protestant Christianity is. Yet there are still a few other holidays with various appropriated mascots, why not a lit tower to frighten away the demons or whatnot.

    With remarkably good rates aside, I simply settle into the room and hope my stay here is nothing but a fun footnote in my eventual autobiography.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    May talks about life in Emberhead. “In her letters my sister always asks if I’m not bored, living in such a small place. She lives in New York. Then she writes about how frightened she is to walk home at night! I ask you.
    You mention your hopes for a new business in Arkham. May doesn’t seem to hear you.
    It’s a small place here, yes, but that means we have real community. Everybody’s face is known. Everybody works together. Nobody is excluded. Except those who choose to exclude themselves, of course. I couldn’t live anywhere else now.
    ----

    Please give me a Charm roll (you consider yourself a professional in this field).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-02 at 03:05 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "It does seem the perfect place to retire to," I comment without trying to make it sound like she's old or old fashioned. Despite the old fashioned mentality, typical of those against the booming industrial power that is the US after the Great War, there are still plenty of rural areas that would just be content as farming communities. There's nothing wrong with that...

    Char roll: (1d100)[71]

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    As the hour wears on, you are amused to hear May transform into a sort of tired tourist guide.
    Of course the views from here are spectacular on a good day. A clear view all the way round. If you’re a painter you’ll be right at home. If your tastes run more to the artisan, there are workshops on Silbury Street. Just at the end here and turn right. They’re not set up for visitors, you understand? But you’ll see the real craftsmen at work. The genuine article. Now, if you’re looking for freshly baked bread...
    It seems a shame to point out that you intend to be on the road again shortly. You let May continue until she begins to yawn.
    Would you listen to me yapping? Time to turn in. When would you like your breakfast?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    "I'm supposed to meet back with Silas at eight in the morning," I reply, feeling the need to turn down. "Something light if anything at all. I appreciate it and the company, but I should settle in for the night. Despite a day of sitting, a coach is not entirely restful. I have a day more of it tomorrow as well."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    As May stands, you hear a clunk behind you. You look over your shoulder, but all you can see is a wooden door, securely closed.
    May tuts. “The young lady of the house. She’ll have been listening to us. Ruth! Come and greet our guest.
    There is a short pause, then the door creaks open. Two wide eyes peer at you from the gap, between tousled hair and a rough nightgown.
    What do you say?
    The eyes blink. “Pleased to meet you.
    Now get back to bed.
    The door closes again.
    My daughter Ruth. Ten years this summer. She’s a delight and a torment all in one. Don’t worry, she sleeps in with me. She’ll not disturb you. Good night now.
    You retire to your room. It is a little chilly, but you are too tired to worry about lighting the fire. The sheets are clean and the bed soon warms up. The silence outside is strange after living in a town for so long, but you soon drop off.

    You dream of fire in the grate; coruscating colors shimmering through the dancing tongues of flame. At first they are tiny, almost microscopic, but they grow, and grow, until a kaleidoscopic inferno spills from the fireplace, spreading across the floor, up the sheets…
    You wake with a start. Daylight glints through the curtains. You get up and examine the grate, blinking the sleep from your eyes. It is quite cold. If you have taken any damage, you may heal 1 hit point back for your night’s sleep.
    ----

    Yes, that's right, Long Rests heal 1 hit point. Let's just say that taking damage is of much more consequence in this game than most.
    ----

    May seems to have no running water, but has supplied some in a ceramic jug. You freshen up at the washstand and go in. She cooks a hearty breakfast and leaves you in peace to eat. At about seven-thirty, you are paid up, packed, and ready to go. You bid May goodbye and she wishes you the best for your new career in Arkham.

    You are already tired of your heavy bags. Hopefully, Silas has repaired the motor coach and you can resume your long journey. A sourpuss he might be, but the old driver seemed to understand his vehicle well enough. You pause to check your watch—still twenty minutes early—and round the final corner.
    The motor coach is gone.
    You put your bags down and search the area, trekking up and down slopes and around corners. At the edge of the village, you trace the long road back as it winds across the hills. Eight o’clock comes and goes. There is no coach to be seen.
    A passing villager notices your bags.
    Looking for the bus? I heard him take off at first light. He’s due back in three or four days. If you need a place to stay, May Ledbetter rents a room.” The man raises his hat to you and strolls on into the village.
    You curse Silas under your breath. Perhaps he went for parts. But you wonder if the old goat has stranded you here on purpose.

    May is doing laundry, and looks surprised to see you again. “Forgot something?” When you explain the situation, she offers to store your bags while you try to arrange alternative transport. You are grateful to relinquish the load.
    Nobody here has anything like a car.” She strokes her chin and narrows her eyes. “Maybe you could find somebody with a horse and a cart for your bags. I could ask around later. Try Mr. Winters at the village hall, he’ll know if anyone will. Or ask among the artisans. Their workshops are first left on Silbury Street.” She reaches over and squeezes your wrist. “Don’t worry, I won’t see you sleeping in the street, money or no money.
    You thank May, and turn to face the village.

    You wander the streets of Emberhead without any particular destination in mind. The village is built on a relatively flat upland with splendid views. To the north, the hazy tips of the White Mountains reach for the heavens; to the south, the sparkling waters of Lake Winnipesaukee touch the horizon.
    The village itself takes less than five minutes to cross from edge to edge. However, it is literally edge to edge, as with the exception of the two roads out of town, all that's there is a massive drop-off. You arrived on the winding road to the west. The only other road leaves to the south, following a lower ridge of land as it turns east. In the northernmost part of town, you see the courtyard mentioned by May home to several artisans. Next to that is the town's largest building (which isn't saying too much) - presumably the village hall. Meanwhile, in the southwest of the village, an open grassy space borders a ruined church, its graveyard cresting the cliffs. To the northeast, the three main thoroughfares, with a general store being one of the only real businesses open, meet at a raised black metal structure. It looms, stark against the blue sky.


    ----

    Oh boy, that was long, I hope you got all of that, but basically... where do you want to head now to find transport out of here? Some places of interest that I listed were: The lower ridge of land that heads eastward, the artisan's courtyard, the village hall, the church, the general store, or the raised black metal structure?

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    I'm grateful for at least the food earlier and the hospitality May offered upon my unfortunate return. This village won't be a mere blip on the timeline, it seems. Silas has abandoned me, and I fear it was on purpose. The too-eerie feeling creeping up in my bones won't subside with logic and reasoning. There's no need to... no, there's some odd evidence of things. No cars in the village. The road doesn't seem to go any further to the east... and, is that lake Winnipesaukee? To the south still? We haven't actually gone that far then. Strange indeed...

    I muster up enough reasoning to press on and continue calling this whole thing an unfortunate event or misunderstanding. The benefit of the doubt in Silas's hands. Perhaps some other emergency came up. An injury that only could be managed by a better facility elsewhere. Perhaps he was robbed? Someone from this town desperate to get out. That's a chilling reason to explain the man's innocence. I turn and head to the artisan's in hopes of finding some solution to getting me on my way.
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-09-07 at 12:29 AM. Reason: fixing player error with locations

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: An Amy's Alone Against the Flames IC

    Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    No cars in the village. The road doesn't seem to go any further to the east... and, is that lake Winnipesaukee? To the south? Weren't we in Massachusetts but a day ago? Arkham is just north of Boston, what am I doing this far north in New Hampshire? Strange indeed...
    For reference, I believe you start off in Plymouth, New Hampshire and you're heading Westward towards Ossipee. I think this might be a good idea as to what was planned.
    ----

    Not far from the Ledbetter house, on the north side of Silbury Street, there is an open courtyard. The rhythmic tattoo of a hammer seems to announce your approach.
    The courtyard is the busiest location you have yet seen in Emberhead. It is bordered by a ring of workshops. Some are brick buildings, some only rough huts. A blacksmith ceases to hammer, thrusting something red and glowing into a bucket of cold water. A weaver looks up from his loom, blinking at you for a moment before returning to his shuttle.
    A potter, engraver, and carpenter each work in their own space, exchanging friendly banter.
    You move among the artisans, chatting about their work.
    Eventually you bring up the question of export. Some of them send occasional packages with Silas. Some restrict their custom entirely to villagers. You receive no suggestions about alternative transport.
    ----

    Please give me a Psychology roll (you consider yourself a professional in this field) as you walk amongst the artisans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •