Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default OdeMx's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Greetings OdeMx, and welcome to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now, one important thing to note is that this game is not Dungeons & Dragons. You are not a hero, you are not a being who is eventually able to snap your fingers and cast Wish or attack nine times with a massive sword in the span of six seconds, you are an ordinary person, and just like ordinary people, you may become heavily injured (HP isn't just something that magically returns with a quick nap), suffer sanity-shattering experiences, or even die! However, someone has to make a stand against the horrors of the mythos, and the death or insanity of a single human matters little if it means postponing the eventual enslavement of humanity.

However, you may be one of the lucky ones who survive your encounters with unearthly beings, gaining knowledge of the horrors outside of our reality, power from volumes of arcane lore, and advancement in your skills as you become more experienced. You will (most likely) never reach the point of superhuman abilities akin to D&D or Pathfinder, but you can achieve something greater than the average of your kind.

Now that you understand the basic themeatic aspects of the game, prepare to journey onto your first adventure -- Alone Against the Flames! This is a horror story set in the 1920s where you are the main character. For the purposes of walking you through the story I will offer prompts and suggestions below each of my In-Character posts, but if you're feeling foolish confident feel free to forge your own path!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, set up a nice fire, and join the In-Character! Actually, on second thought, don't get too close to the fire.

Although, just to make sure, you are willing to post at least once every couple of days, correct? I'm on semi-regularly so I'll reply pretty quickly, but I just want to make sure the game doesn't grind to a halt.

(Please answer the above question, in addition, you may watch this video for some additional content regarding Call of Cthulhu [and I'd only watch that one])
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-23 at 04:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OdeMx's Alone Against the Flames OOC

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Although, just to make sure, you are willing to post at least once every couple of days, correct? I'm on semi-regularly so I'll reply pretty quickly, but I just want to make sure the game doesn't grind to a halt.
    I can post either: every morning after 11amCST, afternoon after 4pmCST and night after 11:30pmCST. Looking forward for this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OdeMx View Post
    I can post either: every morning after 11amCST, afternoon after 4pmCST and night after 11:30pmCST. Looking forward for this.
    Any of those sound great, and I am also looking forward to this! The original OOC post should be updated with the IC link at this point.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, I'm sure this should be quite obvious, but please don't look at any other player's games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, all of these rolls feel really rough. Sorry...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Also, all of these rolls feel really rough. Sorry...
    The worst rolls are the ones with the best story!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Alone Against the Flames. Your character has forever been changed by what they've experienced in Emberhead, and they might not ever be the same.

If you had fun we can continue into the next adventure: Paper Chase. You may also read all of the other forums relating to Alone Against the Flames here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (basically my repository for all of your links so I don't have to keep looking them up online).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Awesome adventure!!!! Very well passed and intriguing.
    You are an awesome Keeper!

Did those last 2 lucky rolls really saved me or Deus Ex Machina helped?

Definitely let's go for Paper Chase, would like to know how my character changed and what he found out about Emberhead.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OdeMx View Post
    Awesome adventure!!!! Very well passed and intriguing.
    You are an awesome Keeper!

Did those last 2 lucky rolls really saved me or Deus Ex Machina helped?
    Thank you very much. And yes, if you failed that you most likely would've taken too much damage and died from the flames.

And thus we have the beginnings of your character, which can be found here (technically you're at 2 HP, but you're going to have more than a week of rest to recuperate and return to full health)!

Along with the OOC, which can be found here!