New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (CoC 7th)

The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained
    Introduction
    The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (SEU), an informal, extra-curricular society based at Miskatonic University in Arkham. The society was founded in 1889 by a group of professors and students who had a mutual interest in unexplained phenomena. The SEU has gained some minor public notoriety through their assistance in a number of police investigations that came to the attention of the press. The members of the society are
    often sought out by the authorities, as well as private individuals, who are in need of help with all manner of strange mysteries.
    Nowadays, the SEU meets once a month in a private reading room of the university’s library, where tales of exploits are shared and current mysteries conjectured. When an interesting case is presented, the leaders of the SEU choose the most suitable investigators from among its members to tackle the mystery.

Are You Interested?
    I see that you are interested in exploring what cannot be explained. After all, why else would you have picked up this pamphlet? Well, fear not, luckily for you our extracurricular club is always seeking new members, no matter if they attend Miskatonic or not. Now, you may join our membership by applying here!

Rules of the Society
    Tosh's Semi-House Rules:
    (1) Ticking should be allowed more often than it is
    (1a) If one has a Bonus Die to the roll and succeeds they may tick that skill regardless
    (1b) If one uses Luck to succeed on a skill, they may also tick said skill
    (2) If one searches for a specific article or piece of information in an organized area and names a specific year in which they focus their search, they may have a Bonus Die. Of course, if there is no information there, they they simply wasted their time.
    (3) Generally speaking, unless someone is on a serious time crunch. A pushed roll does not need to be made in a Library or other research area, as instead it can simply be attempted again after a certain amount of time has passed.
    (4) There is no "Help" action. Your assistance qualifies as you rolling a die to see if you succeed.
    (4a) With that said, if you have an NPC assisting you, they grant you a Bonus Die for their assistance. The reasoning behind this is that I'd rather have you all making rolls and succeeding than me.
    (4ai) This help only applies to one roll made from the group, which I will determine randomly. This way, having an NPC help people is not necessarily better if you have forty people than with one.
    (4b) However, you may choose to utilize an NPC's statistics in place of yours when that would be possible, providing them with a Bonus Die (for example, using their stats for a library use roll instead of your own).
    (5) Every time that your assets would go up a Credit Rating in the higher bracket, you do go up a Credit Rating. Note that this makes it incredibly hard to switch brackets, so more often than not something impactful needs to happen in order for you to actually improve your credit rating.
    (6) Every day after an injury, medical attention done by an NPC heals one less hit point (minimum 0). This way an NPC is not actually rolling as it's instead assumed you're receiving professional (or greater) treatment.
    (Possibly more as I see fit)

Our Membership
    Victor Abernathy, a 35-year-old Antiquarian at Arkham Rare Books and Maps
    Yitzhak "Izzy" Laskov, a 31-year-old rabbi turned Journalist for the Arkham Gazette
    Deirdre McCoy, a 20-year-old fledgling actress in The Haunting of Agatha Mae and Waitress at Bee's Diner
    Felix Autumn, a 25-year-old Junior Professor of Anthropology and Archaeology at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Evan Grant, a 29-year-old Hematologist at St. Mary's Hospital
    Guido Malatesta, a 26-year-old Antiquarian at Arkham Rare Books and Maps
    Everett Clay, a 25-year-old Journalist for the Arkham Gazette
    Collin Blake, a 25-year-old Junior Professor of Mythology at Miskatonic University
    Paul Turner, a 24-year-old Painter for the Miskatonic Gallery of Fine Arts
    Malachi Stroud, a 23-year-old Antiquarian at Arkham Rare Books and Maps
    Jacqueline Carter, a 26-year-old Journalist for the Arkham Gazette
    Hazel Glass, a 23-year-old assistant cartographer
    Henry Brant, a 30-year-old Researcher for the School of Literature, Language, and Arts
    Jerome Lance, a 26-year-old Baptist priest
    Helen Vandiver, a 30-year-old shopkeeper
    Reuben Massie, a 27-year-old Financial Consultant for Miskatonic University
    Robert Miles, a 35-year-old professor
    Mr. Sim, a 30-year-old morgue assistant
    Jessie Williams, a 20-year-old History Student at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Nevada Jones, a 35-year-old Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University
    Lois Russo, a 19-year-old Engineering Student at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Wentworth Avebury, a 58-year-old Languages Professor at Miskatonic University
    Keiko Cain, a 21-year-old Science Student at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Louis Grunewald, a 53-year-old Professor of Linguistics at Miskatonic University
    Jacob Gibson, a 36-year-old Custodian at Miskatonic University
    Dr. Chris Parker, a 39-year-old Professor of Geology at Miskatonic University

In Memoriam
    Isaac Warshawer, a 29-year-old Junior Professor of Anthropology at Miskatonic University

Repository of Strange Accounts from Our Members
    Retired
    Reuben Massie (Hannahbbug3): Paper Chase - OOC & IC
    Jacqueline Carter (DominoMasque): Paper Chase - OOC & IC
    Felix Autumn (ACExtravaganza) and Evan Grant (UselessBlob): The Haunting - OOC & IC

Alone Against the Flames
    Felix Autumn (ACExtravaganza) - OOC & IC - Unfortunate Deja Vu - 1 Time - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Deirdre McCoy (WindStruck) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Evan Grant (Useless Blob) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Victor Abernathy (Earthen Rite) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Jacqueline Carter (DominoMasque) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Guido Malatesta (OdeMx) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Malachi Stroud (KoboldEmperor) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Robert Miles (Ruy) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/10 Handouts Collected
    Yitzhak "Izzy" Laskov (Zene) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Isaac Warshawer (Igordragonian) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/10 Handouts Collected
    Reuben Massie (Hannahbbug3) - OOC & IC - Unfortunate Deja Vu - 1 Time - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Helen Vandiver (An Amy) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Henry Brant (Hoplathemighty) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Paul Turner (Dark Seeker) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected
    Hazel Glass (Tentreto) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 7/10 Handouts Collected
    Jerome Lance (Mobves) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/10 Handouts Collected

William Russel (Amanamana) - OOC & IC
    Mr. Sim (Goliathus) - OOC & IC

Paper Chase
    Felix Autumn (ACExtravaganza) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/11 Handouts Collected
    Deirdre McCoy (WindStruck) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 7/11 Handouts
    Evan Grant (UselessBlob) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 7/11 Handouts Collected
    Guido Malatesta (OdeMx) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/11 Handouts Collected
    Victor Abernathy (EarthenRite) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/11 Handouts Collected
    Yitzhak "Izzy" Laskov (Zene) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 7/11 Handouts Collected
    Everett Clay (RangerBob) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 5/11 Handouts Collected
    Collin Blake (MightyLemur) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/11 Handouts Collected
    Malachi Stroud (KoboldEmperor) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/11 Handouts Collected
    Isaac Warshawer (Igordragonian) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED? with 5/11 Handouts Collected
    Paul Turner (Dark Seeker) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED with 6/11 Handouts Collected

Hazel Glass (Tentreto) - OOC & IC
    Henry Brant (Hoplathemighty) - OOC & IC
    Jerome Lance (Mobves) - OOC & IC
    Helen Vandiver (An Amy) - OOC & IC

The Haunting
    Deirdre McCoy (WindStruck) and Yitzhak "Izzy" Laskov (Zene) - OOC & IC - COMPLETED - with 23/26 Handouts Collected

Guido Malatesta (OdeMx) and Everett Clay (RangerBob) - OOC & IC

The Lightless Beacon
    Walter Scully (EarthenRite) and Dean Mullins (Zene) - OOC & IC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained (CoC 7th)

I'm generally free after 2:00 on weekdays, except Wednesdays, where I have a class at 4:40. Weekends are almost entirely free.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hi! My schedule is packed, but flexible. So like anytime Mon-Sat between 10am and 9pm Pacific can usually work, as long as I get at least a week’s heads-up. Sundays early afternoons could be doable as well, again with advance notice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by UselessBlob View Post
    I'm generally free after 2:00 on weekdays, except Wednesdays, where I have a class at 4:40. Weekends are almost entirely free.
    What timezone are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Hi! My schedule is packed, but flexible. So like anytime Mon-Sat between 10am and 9pm Pacific can usually work, as long as I get at least a week’s heads-up. Sundays early afternoons could be doable as well, again with advance notice.
    Sorry, should've clarified, I meant to post, not like an actual session. I'm trying to get groups together of people who have good posting times so that way one doesn't have to wait for people on the opposite end of the world to post and the game slows down to a crawl.

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    What timezone are you in?

Sorry, should've clarified, I meant to post, not like an actual session. I'm trying to get groups together of people who have good posting times so that way one doesn't have to wait for people on the opposite end of the world to post and the game slows down to a crawl.
    Ah! Yeah then usually (roughly) 10am-4pm PT, and then sometimes (but not consistently) 9pm-10:30pm (ish)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I should be free most days at most times, the only problem is my schedule is pretty erratic so I can't really give more specifics than that unfortunately. Though I could add that I live in the eastern timezone, and therefor am awake and asleep at (roughly) appropriate times for that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'm active at about the same times as Zene. And possibly other overlaps, on days I'm off.

Hm. Should we dive into the new OOC and IC threads?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, Zene still has a little bit to complete, but I'm ok if you read up on the threads (maybe wait to respond until they're good to go [even though yes, the first part is solo]).

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGirl

Is it just the OOC I need to wrap up? I should be able to make some progress on that tomorrow.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I think whatever question he asked you. Plus rolling for improvements on your skills.

Speaking of which, kind of odd your sheet was linked, even though I think it's still waiting for the skill improvements.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Is it just the OOC I need to wrap up? I should be able to make some progress on that tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I think whatever question he asked you. Plus rolling for improvements on your skills.

Speaking of which, kind of odd your sheet was linked, even though I think it's still waiting for the skill improvements.
    It's done. The improvements have been added. Don't worry too much, I can take care of such things . Also, I don't want to take up too much space on this thread when it's really supposed to be a discussion of what times everyone is available so I can create the most effective groups.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

My time Zone and Posting time:

when you are normally available to post
    Weekdays 10am CST, 4:30pm CST and 9pm to 10:30pm CST
    Weekends 6am-8am CST and random times during the day

and what timezone you're in?
    GMT -6:00 CST US, Canada, Mexico and Monterrey.