New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

[Passing By]

"Oh, so all of these are...open?" Nim asks quietly. Well that's awkward if that double of him or the snake had something to say about his stopping for sketches. Hopefully if the snake is intelligent they found it flattering.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

[Nightmare Forest]

Quin's sword does seem to have a desired effect. It cuts through the massing tendrils and they need to start forming a shape again. The voice shrieks in anger and they start massing together quicker, but more haphazardly. The shape that forms looks distorted and crooked.

"It wouldn't leave us! It will open the way for us all!"

Makuro will find the centipede material enough to punch, but it's certainly not quite there in the material world. Still, her strikes batter the dark flesh of the creature. At first it's pushed, then silently turns towards her, trying to wrap its body around her to both crush her and cut her in half with her mandibles. At least it's not paying attention to Lapis for a moment.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Spider Cave

One spider is stabbed, the spear puncturing its abdomen and the sword cleaving its thorax. The other has legs hacked off by the axe as the spear impales it between its fangs.

Some more oddities for Karl and the skeletons to consider- the spiders are not spiders. Their corpses do not bleed, they link hydraulic fluid and oil. Pistons move their limbs, not muscle, and their metallic carapaces are, in fact, metal- thin and light, not armour plating. Inside, there's computer chips and circuits, a set of batteries and a radio transmitter/receiver.

There's no immediate response from further in the cave, but this is not what the farmers thought was going on. The longer he dithers, the more likely something will be prepared against him.
    Spider Cave

Karl is kinda cconfused. he hasn't seen much of that stuff anyway so he dosn't really know what to do. Should the radio transmitter thing make any noise by now he will try to just tear it out of the creature until then he will just watch the amchines as his skeletons free heach other.

"Kinda think it's not really what i expected." he says then let's two skeletons spy a bit closer into the cave.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Orc in the Playground

Spider Cave

The transmitter doesn't beep, but it does have a little red flashing light.

The two skeletons advance down the tunnel! It slopes down into the earth, unlit and dark. As they get deeper, however, the bare earth walls and rough dirt floor give way to a smooth blue tiled corridor, though there's still no light. Shortly after reaching the corridor, there's a turning. There's no light coming from from around the turning, but there are sounds approaching.

Around the corner emerges a larger spider than the ones seen thus far. It is slow and lumbering, with a matt black carapace and its eight eyes glow red. The monstrous spider sees the intruders and roars, rising on its rearmost legs to make itself appear larger and waving its pedipalps in the air, revealing a pair of glass needles serving as fangs. A liquid drips from one, hits the floor and starts to sizzle. It's using intimidation first, so the skeletons can react- either attack or retreat to fetch Karl.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Nightmare Forest]

Uh oh.

Makuro is in trouble.

Lapis doesn't think. She just rears up on her hind hooves, spreads her little hoofed fingers, and grasps.

It was always there. Every Empyrean has one, after all. It's just as much a part of her as the wings on her back. Calling it a flaming sword is probably close enough. Or, at least, a flaming sword is probably the concept which is least dissimilar to the object Lapis draws. It shares with a flaming sword a harsh and indefatigable purpose.

To sear and to cut.

"The Fear is never coming back and the door won't open!" Lapis repeats.

And then she brings the tool of division and conflagration down upon the centipede.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Passing By]

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    "Oh, so all of these are...open?" Nim asks quietly. Well that's awkward if that double of him or the snake had something to say about his stopping for sketches. Hopefully if the snake is intelligent they found it flattering.
    "That's right. Why don't you hop on through for a bit? It's quite a place, over there."
    He could ask the snake himself, that way.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

Nim gulps, but he supposes that by his principles he should probably apologize for sketching the snake without its permission if it's sapient. That and they might have some insight on traveling between realms in this place. He needs to get home sometime. "Thanks. Maybe I will."
    He gets up and heads back to the mirror-window? Door? But he does grab himself a drink from the table first.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Orc in the Playground

Nightmare Forest

Makuro is grabbed and squeezed, the coils wrapped about her lower torso and upper legs. She punches down, before grabbing at the mandibles to hold them away from her. Her bones aren't breaking; her superpowers provide reinforcement of her bones, and her healing factor is centred on the bones as well, so even when they start to give way they heal back. It's painful and uncomfortable, however, but getting cut in half would really not do.

9. - Top - End - #1299

NinjaGuy

[Nightmare Forest]

Quin lands stoutly, but out of position, Excalibur held in a high ready position. He turns quickly, to see the tendrils re-massing above him. Not good. It will take him a short bit to gather enough power to perform another such strike at range, but perhaps the remaining flame about Excalibur will be enough to at least annoy this darkness. He leaps once more, this time aiming an overhand strike at the creature forming in the center of the mass of tendrils. No point in switching styles back now; he doubts even his helmet cannon could much affect this entity and Excalibur's special flames at least do something, even if he can only use them at range every so often.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

10. - Top - End - #1300

[The Joining House]

The catgirl blinks. "Sweet"? Her cheeks get just a tad pinker. That's a new one. "Er, sure, I can join." She moves to take a seat, peering at the dice before glancing awkwardly over at Fidella. "I'm, um, not familiar with this, though. You... might have to explain a little."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

11. - Top - End - #1301

Default [Passing By]

Nim gulps, but he supposes that by his principles he should probably apologize for sketching the snake without its permission if it's sapient. That and they might have some insight on traveling between realms in this place. He needs to get home sometime. "Thanks. Maybe I will."
    He gets up and heads back to the mirror-window? Door? But he does grab himself a drink from the table first.
    The golem will hand over a drink with a slight smile on it's face. Does Nim want wine? Mead? The tears of angels?
    The same snake is there, swaying in front of the mirror-door.
    "Hello Nim."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

Wine is fine. Probably.
    Nim bows upon entering.
    "Hello. I ah, how do you know my name? Uh, regardless, I should apologize for getting my sketchbook out without asking your permission. That was rude of me." he apologizes, hoping they aren't offended.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Default [Passing By]

"You jusst introduced yourself, didn't you?" Hisses the snake.
    "Pleasse, make yoursself at home. It iss forgiven."
    Here, there are a lot of snakes, a lot of big cats, and a few humanoids he might have seen on the other side of the door.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

”Oh, I didn’t realize you could hear all that from over there. You have good hearing...Ah, you seem to have me at a disadvantage?” Lots of Introductions to do again.
    ”What is different between this side and the other side of the door?” For the moment it seems like it’s mostly a simple difference in the guests.

15. - Top - End - #1305

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Spider Cave

The transmitter doesn't beep, but it does have a little red flashing light.

The two skeletons advance down the tunnel! It slopes down into the earth, unlit and dark. As they get deeper, however, the bare earth walls and rough dirt floor give way to a smooth blue tiled corridor, though there's still no light. Shortly after reaching the corridor, there's a turning. There's no light coming from from around the turning, but there are sounds approaching.

Around the corner emerges a larger spider than the ones seen thus far. It is slow and lumbering, with a matt black carapace and its eight eyes glow red. The monstrous spider sees the intruders and roars, rising on its rearmost legs to make itself appear larger and waving its pedipalps in the air, revealing a pair of glass needles serving as fangs. A liquid drips from one, hits the floor and starts to sizzle. It's using intimidation first, so the skeletons can react- either attack or retreat to fetch Karl.
    Spider Cave

Well a flashing light is enougth for karl to rip it off. Maybe it is usefull sometimes.

The skeletons dont have fear, mostly since they can regenerate in their home world at least as long as something remains. They back up wither way since this thing might be to much for them.
    Karl will nod as they tell him what they saw. he orders those with spears in front because of their range. then he summons some small creatures that just offer him a dim light for the dark hallway. They all try to sneak their way down were the skeletons saw the big spider.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

16. - Top - End - #1306

Default [Passing By]

"'Prada'. A pleassure to meet you." The snake says, swishing a bit closer.

"This place has never been part of the kingdoms outside the glass. The rules are different here. Distance is a suggestion, thoughts have strength, changing history as easy as lifting your pen."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-05-25 at 11:29 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

"It's nice to meet you, Prada. Ah, what do you do? I'm a biologist in my home world." Nim isn't sure if Prada is being literal. Could they use a pen with their mouth, or telekinesis?
    He's also aware of the fact that apparently if any sunlight gets on the mirror he's stuck here. That's a little worrying.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

[Nightmare Forest]

The party's attacks strike true once again. The centipede constructing Makuro is split in half, both halves disintegrating in a burst of flame. Quin's sword cuts through the tendrils, which fall... and then scatter again, withdrawing and coalescing some distance from him. Does the damage they inflict have any kind of lasting effect?

It seems that it might when the forest starts to cry. Rain starts to fail, of thick soot-black water. Faces appear on the trees around them, twisted with despair and longing, the dripping water forming thick tears rolling down their cheeks. A sound of wailing echoes through the woods. Many voices, crying and gnashing their teeth.

"Don't you understand? I can't stay here! I want to go home. This ugly forest isn't my home. I - we - came here to reach back there."

The spaces between the weeping trees shift. The forest between them isn't dead anymore. It's teeming with life. Trees reach out into the sky, tall as skyscrapers. Enormous animals roam among them, grazing, hunting, mating and running. They're locked in a primal struggle between predator and prey, with never a moment's rest. There's fear here, but also the thrill of the hunt and survival. Pure life, at its most intense.

"Isn't it better than this grey bowl of dust, where nothing ever changes? Was I - the fear - wrong to want to go back? But now I - we're here and can only dream of the Fairest of Lands."

The voice seems to stammer whenever it refers to itself, not knowing how to do it. Is it an "I"? Is it a "we"? Is it the "fear", or something apart from it?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Nightmare Forest]

Wow that's creepy.

Also wrong.

Why do these things have to be so wrong all the time? They despise stability. How is anyone supposed to rely on anything if the rules are constantly changing?

It's gross.

And Lapis is pretty sure she hates it.

She opens the eyes along her wings, black pits that devour all light, and takes in the details. What can she glean?

"The river we talked to just wants to go back to sleep," she calls out, holding her thing that is like a sword at the ready in case they're attacked again. "Some people like it when the rules stay the same. Some people can't exist if the rules change. Maybe you should go back to sleep, too."

That vision. That wild place. Is it somewhere that actually exists? Or is it just a memory of chaos that was? Lapis can tell that it isn't like the Dreamlands. And certainly not like the Dreamheart. If it was, if these were fae like the ones her Mother is opposed to, then it would be an easy thing for them to return home.

Wouldn't it?
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Orc in the Playground

Spider Cave

The giant spider doesn't pursue. Karl's scouts get that far undetected, and can figure out why- the rear legs aren't articulated, and there's a complex hydraulic system carefully concealed behind it to prevent invaders from noticing its mechanical nature whilst letting it reach up and roar. Getting too close is still probably a bad idea- despite being unable to move from the spot, it still has fully articulated limbs and the hypodermic needles that form its fangs are genuinely dangerous. The tunnel passes beyond, and there's a bit of space to bypass the spider entirely, just wide enough for people to walk single file.

Nightmare Forest

"You should sleep. This is not the Fairest of Lands, not any more. It is a barren grey dustbowl, and that is the way we like it. If that changes, and your home returns, its very presence should awaken you, should it not? Go to sleep, let it wake you when it does return, if the Fear succeeds." Makuro is very cautious as she speaks, keeping her eyes on her surroundings to make sure there isn't anything trying to sneak up on it.

21. - Top - End - #1311

NinjaGuy

Nightmare Forest

Quin lands heavily after his strike, standing ready, but listens to the voice, and nearly gets lost in the vision for a moment. He considers the entity's words and realizes something.

"Do you remember how you came to be here in the first place? Perhaps there is some clue in that, a way that we can send you home. If not, then perhaps it is best for you to sleep, but if there is something we can do to help you get back to where you belong, I believe that would be the better solution than for you to stay here at all."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

22. - Top - End - #1312

Default [Passing By]

"It's nice to meet you, Prada. Ah, what do you do? I'm a biologist in my home world." Nim isn't sure if Prada is being literal. Could they use a pen with their mouth, or telekinesis?
    He's also aware of the fact that apparently if any sunlight gets on the mirror he's stuck here. That's a little worrying.
    "I am ssomething of an exsplorer." The snake slowly circles around Nim.

"They do like biologisstical things over there." On the original side of the mirror, that is.
    "Are you lllonely here?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

Nim carefully notes the distance Prada is keeping. Cobras don't constrict but they do seem to still like circling things. He's sure they're just being friendly.
    "Lonely? I only just got here. Are you asking me out already, Prada?" he jokes, smiling at the snake.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    [The Joining House]

The catgirl blinks. "Sweet"? Her cheeks get just a tad pinker. That's a new one. "Er, sure, I can join." She moves to take a seat, peering at the dice before glancing awkwardly over at Fidella. "I'm, um, not familiar with this, though. You... might have to explain a little."
    [The Joining House]

One of the other sisters on Blanche's opposite side leans in. She has the same beautiful dark skin, hers more a shade of caramel than the golden brown on Fidella. Her hair is like white gold. The lady says, "Well, you'd have to put something up for betting first. Whatcha got on ya?" She winks.

"Oh, leave her alone, Kolimi," says Fidella, though she's grinning good naturedly.

Votsona has quietly faded back inside by the time Blanche looks again.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #1315

Default [Passing By]

It would be terribly unmannerly to eat another guest at the party.

"Where you arrived alone and unknowing."
    The snake laughs at the rest of the question.
    "If that iss what you want. Do you dansse, Nim?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

Nim is glad that the joke went over well.
    "Um, I've never quite picked up my mother's talent for dancing. Why, do you?" he supposes that there is some measure of grace to the snake's movements. It could certainly be called a dance if Prada so considered it.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

[Nightmare Forest]

"I only remember being here," the voice says, its sound echoing through the weeping trees. The forest around them is still a vision of pure, unbridled life. "I woke up here. I'd always been here, but asleep. I was part of something so great, so... manifold. It was calling out to our home, to bring it back or to go back there. Our home answered, but the door was open only for a moment. Then it closed, the rest of me left and I was left here. Waiting. It has to come back and open the door. It has to."

28. - Top - End - #1318

Default [Passing By]

"Lissten to the mussic; dancsing iss only natural."
    The serpent stops in its circling and instead starts to sway back and forth, turning along with the beat of the drum.
    You know, the line between a jokes about asking people on dates and actually asking people on dates is perilously thin.

By another of the mirrors, a not-tiefling gives Nim a wink.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

[Passing By]

Nim takes a long pull of his drink and does his best to sway in time. His best is not very great. He does want to make a good impression. And maybe as an explorer Prada could help him get home? And if they were being literal about changing history maybe that's all it would take to get home. Or at least be more equipped to do so.
    "I'm afraid you're much better at this than me." he insists to the giant cobra.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Default [Passing By]

"Well, yess. You have all thosse armss getting in your way." Prada says with a snicker.
    "Sstill, not bad."
    After a short while, when there's a break in the music. the snake settles down on the grass.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine