New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 48: Hotter than Inside

[The Ruins of Old GLoG]

The bullet... passes right through the apparition. Whatever it is, an undead or a fiend it isn't. And it's not quite here yet. But it's getting here. The figure pushes through some kind of invisible barrier that only it can see. Once it's through, it will appear to be a greyish-white humanoid figure, deathly thin and wrapped in scraps of clothing. Its body is featureless, save for its head, which has a pair of pitch-black empty eyes and an elongated snout, twitching this way and that. Behind it, more such creatures seem to be appearing in the distance, as the first one starts walking towards Amalungak with a mindless hunger.

Thryscir will, suddenly, find that he's not alone, though. From between the rubble, three dog-like creatures emerge. Unlike the phantasm before him, they are very real and very material. They seem to be made out of dead wood and old leaves, with manes of shrivelled vines trailing behind their heads. Their heads are snarling and full of teeth, but seem to lack eyes of any sort. They flank the lich, as if protectively. Perhaps they recognize he has been assigned as the elf mystic's main defender?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Ruins of Old GLoG

Thryscir says, "Couldn't have it be too easy, now could we." in a voice that suggests if he had skin he would be smiling. His revolvers disappear into smoke, then reform into a handaxe in his right hand and what appears to be a small shotgun in his other hand. Charging toward the enemies, his new weapons cover themselves in a reddish-orange glow.

He shoots at the apparition, moving his axe into a position where he can easily use it should the enemy get close. He has shifted his magic to something a little more versatile. This time, the bullets are able to hit things regardless of whether they are incorporeal or not, but will cause injuries about half as bad as normal upon hitting an incorporeal creature. Both weapons are under this effect.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2019-09-23 at 05:00 PM.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

[The Joining House]

Blanche gives the Frescot a queer look, suddenly a little suspicious - either that he’s hiding a nasty surprise or simply being cryptic to mess with her, she’s not entirely sure.

”Ah, not your dominant eye?” She questions, just a little eager to prove that she’s totally capable of understanding. “Not done much in that front, I’m afraid. I mean, I know how to kill a man with a knife, but when everyone has their own rifle, combat usually doesn’t get that close.”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Joining House]

"And the lack of depth perception. There are... ways I can see, but I have trouble perceiving things on the physical plane," Votsona explains, a little hesitantly. He waves a hand. "Ah, you wouldn't find it very interesting..."

"Of course not. It is brutal, dirty. I enjoy that it helps feed us, or get rid of pests that are too fast or too deep in the brush to shoot, but I prefer my usual work. The others, they enjoy it much more. It may be that you find it thrilling too." Votsona walks Blanche over to one of the tables near the fire, being sure to slow his pace for the sake of her crutches. "So. Where do you come from? A warrior cat... among my people, you could be a spirit Sigis yourself. Sprung whole from the wood at the dawn of the world, like one of our gods' dreams."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2019-09-23 at 06:14 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Treehouses

"Fair enough." Leap admits before attaching a bit of webbing to her house so she can skitter down below to pick up her belongings. "Easy going? Well, I suppose I am. Never really thought about it like that. I just figure that things outside of my realm of control are outside of it and so I shouldn't be getting too worked up over it. I have noticed that a lot of people are stiff though. They probably just don't get laid enough and worry about all the little things." She says with a snort as she puts her things into pouches of webbing attached to her abdomen. When she's collected all the jewels, she tosses their pouch up to Treeisa. "Here ya go!"
    [Treehouses]

Oh! Treeisa leans out and snatches the bag out of the air. She snorts and laughs. "You got that right. Nothing like getting laid to mellow out." She laughs. Before Leap starts climbing up, Treeisa starts plucking the jewelry out of her leaves and stowing it in the bag as well.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

[The Ruins of Old GLoG]

The phantasm is hit, and the bullet clearly hurts it, but it doesn't seem to show any signs of pain or even discomfort. It does, however, draw its attention to Thryscir, along with his getting closer. It runs towards him with a strange, uneven gait, it snout reaching out towards him and showing that it opens at its tip, revealing a long, thin blade. There's a buzzing coming from the creature, on the edge of hearing.

More such spirits appear nearby, but the hounds rush forward to engage them and keep them busy. Thryscir will need to deal with two, for now.

[A Different Sort of Party]

"Perhaps, perhaps," Fayyaad seems to admit. "You would stand out from the crowd even if I hadn't been purposefully looking out for any signs of trouble."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Camping Trip

Koshal eyes the beast. He can sharpen himself? What a cool trick! He seems to be having trouble, though.
    Faye seems more relaxed with some more distance between the brute wyvern and them.
    ”Do you need someone to show you again?” he offers sincerely. Poor sword-dinosaur. Koshal has certainly been where he is before.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Tauron's Temple]

Ilpholin raises an eyebrow. "I could teach you combat if you so desired." Though she can't imagine it would do much good.

"I wish I had more to tell you. I met someone who has a weapon specifically designed to kill one of the demon's living temples. But we need to find it first, like pretty much everything else with the demons. I still need to track down the castle they stole. And most of all Sargon."
    [Tauron's Temple]

"It won't be nessecary, and your time is far too precious to be wasted on me. This weapon you're describing sounds like it has potential. Would it be possible to copy it's design? If I could mass-produce it then this 'living temple' would stand no chance." Tauron suggests. "As for the castle, I might have some clues of its whereabouts. Some of the 'news' I've followed have reported it being sighted at various locations in outside, suggesting that's it on the move. No demon attacks have been reported in this area however which suggest they might have some other priorities. I believe they might be heading for seaside based on the sightings."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

[Camping Trip]

"He... looks like he's having trouble performing a move he's seen," Wenomir says, sounding uncharacteristically uncertain. He normally projects an air of supreme confidence and unflappability, but it's gone now. "Have we encountered a dragon-like creature with an appreciation for the martial arts?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-09-28 at 07:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Old Wood
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "It comes from the purple-trees." Judging by the fact that there are no purple trees here, they probably didn't get brought along. "The other room is quarters and storage." To Benedict's surprised question, the wasp continues, "We don't think much of them either."
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Moschu...laughs? Something like that.
    "It's not just a stimulant." Silly human.
    "You do not grow the trees here? You bring it all the way from whatever world they live on?"

"What is it, then, if not just a stimulant? Medicine?" Benedict's curious, and not sure what it might be if more than a stimulant. The idea it may be a hallucinogen doesn't enter his mind; whilst he's taken a fair few of those for various reasons, he doesn't find them particularly interesting or attractive.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Old Wood

The questions seem to further confuse the wasp. "This station is situated within the center of a grove of purple-trees." It's not anymore, but she hasn't been outside to see it. "Correct, the [UNTRANSLATABLE] is not a source of stimulation. It causes hallucinations in many species."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    [City out of Time]

Cass preens a bit inwardly as she notices Electra eyeing her, considering summoning a quick breeze to throw her cloak back a little more.
    No one would ever know...

She decides against it, though, shrugging her shoulders and giving Electra a smile.
    "Ready enough. I've worked with these dwarves before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [City out of Time]

Electra raises an eyebrow at that. She's resisting the urge to give Cass a hug, mostly because she knows how uncomfortable hugging someone clad in metal plates can be.

"Oh, really? When was that?"
    [City out of Time]

"A fae lord appeared in my dreams, asking me to go into a cave and resurrect a dragon," says Cass, matter-of-factly. "So I did. I met these dwarves there, too."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Tauron's Temple]

"It won't be nessecary, and your time is far too precious to be wasted on me. This weapon you're describing sounds like it has potential. Would it be possible to copy it's design? If I could mass-produce it then this 'living temple' would stand no chance." Tauron suggests. "As for the castle, I might have some clues of its whereabouts. Some of the 'news' I've followed have reported it being sighted at various locations in outside, suggesting that's it on the move. No demon attacks have been reported in this area however which suggest they might have some other priorities. I believe they might be heading for seaside based on the sightings."
    [Tauron's Temple]

Ilpholin shakes her head. "Unlikely. It was created to kill based off names and such. I highly doubt it can be replicated easily." Banes like that are usually unique.

"Seaside? Again? The demons are really interested in islands and ocean..." Ilpholin pauses, thinking deeply for a moment. "... Or they're after the remnants of that demon staff piece."

She looks up at Tauron. "How much do you know about the demon staff? Recently we found core piece of the staff there. It was broken and leaking and we attempted to destroy it with dragon's fire. It disappeared, possibly destroyed, but there was an energy trail leading out deeper into the sea. I've been meaning to follow where it went, but I didn't want to go alone and so much happened."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

14. - Top - End - #104

The Triple B - Ambrosia

The scholar gestures at herself. "This body was especially prepared for me, yet as you can see it's still leaking out despite me trying to rein myself in. In my own homeworld I had to spend nearly all my energy to just appear human, but the nature of the nexus allows me to take it more easy." She looks up to Lydia. "Frankly, I didn't believe many other species of dragons could possess bodies like this. The majority is far more physical than my own kind and I got the impression that you are as well. No offense intended."

[Tauron's Temple]

"Too bad. But at least it gives me some ideas." Tauron remarks thoughfully. "But... I admit I don't know much about this staff of yours. I've heard to know what you're talking about but little else. I believe one of the pieces were taken from VIGIL by the demons during the invasion. Not certain how that happened but it's what I've managed to snap up from the demons. Speaking of which, were you aware that there are at least two, possibly three, different subfactions of demons? The one you fought against in Riverside is clearly different from the one that was rading seaside settlements at the same time. It's also possible that these two factions are joining up in seaside for some reason."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Old Wood]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "What is it, then, if not just a stimulant? Medicine?" Benedict's curious, and not sure what it might be if more than a stimulant. The idea it may be a hallucinogen doesn't enter his mind; whilst he's taken a fair few of those for various reasons, he doesn't find them particularly interesting or attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The questions seem to further confuse the wasp. "This station is situated within the center of a grove of purple-trees." It's not anymore, but she hasn't been outside to see it. "Correct, the [UNTRANSLATABLE] is not a source of stimulation. It causes hallucinations in many species."
    "I believe my work here is done." Moschu announces, after getting that last answer from the wasps.
    "What do you intend to do now, researchers?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Old Wood

"This station was located in a grove of purple trees. Now, it's located in a grove of old oak trees in the Nexus. There was a burst of energy and a planar rift, and here you were. You are a long way from home indeed, and I don't know how- or if- you will ever return." And if Benedict has his way, they won't. They're too interesting to be allowed to wander off and disappear; he wants to vivisect at least one of them.

He sneers at the revelation of the dust being a hallucinogen. "Even worse. No practical use for a hallucinogen, except amongst the primitive spiritualists and shaman who can't tell the difference between delusion and reality."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Old Wood

"We require a translator-organ. It seems unlikely that our language will be spoken here." The wasps don't exactly know where to find such a thing, though, and they certainly don't have the equipment to make one.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Old Wood]

The spider does take a moment to titter at Benedict's comment.
    "If you can't think of practical uses for hallucinogens, that's not very creative, is it?"
    "And you've clearly never had to fight a skilled shaman."

To the wasps, she waves a leg and adds "There's a big human city that-a-way. People there speak everything."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Old Wood

"Do you have any translator-organs lying around?" Because Benedict can't read the narrative text. "I can think of practical uses. I just can't think of a practical reason to deliberately indulge in hallucinogens." He doesn't comment about fighting a skilled shaman; he hasn't. His magic is generally less powerful than a shaman's, but more versatile. Assuming an Earl-shaman, anyway.

He's also going to raise a hand in front of him, near the translation-lens, ready to start sketching more symbols in the air.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [The Ruins of Old GLoG]

The phantasm is hit, and the bullet clearly hurts it, but it doesn't seem to show any signs of pain or even discomfort. It does, however, draw its attention to Thryscir, along with his getting closer. It runs towards him with a strange, uneven gait, it snout reaching out towards him and showing that it opens at its tip, revealing a long, thin blade. There's a buzzing coming from the creature, on the edge of hearing.

More such spirits appear nearby, but the hounds rush forward to engage them and keep them busy. Thryscir will need to deal with two, for now.
    The Ruins of Old GLoG

Thankfully, Thryscir has two weapons. He tries to hack at one with the axe while simultaneously shooting at the other with the shotgun. He seems to be an expert in both weapons, and so is very good at using them.

He also makes a mental note to see if he can get the elf to make one of those hounds be his pet.

21. - Top - End - #111

[The Joining House]

”I might,” Blanche responds noncommittally, taking a seat across from Votsona. It wasn’t something she liked to think about, but she wouldn't deny that combat granted for her a grisly sense of satisfaction. "I'm used to brutal and dirty."

"Your people tell much better stories than mine," she remarks. "Technically I'm from the Nexus, but I was raised on a far-off world called Kore in the Hades System. Mom was a doctor, but I had other interests. Joined the military organization that ran things, fought for them until I realized they were self-righteous tyrants." There's a tinge of bitterness. "Things ended poorly, but I ended up back in the Nexus after that. Found a better group to support, went hunting, and here I am."

A Different Sort of Party

I'm sure I'd still have come up with some excuse to enjoy your company, Cantata returns. Especially without having to keep reminding myself not to get too attached. She shifts slightly, crossing her legs. I'm kind of happy I didn't succeed, to be honest - a woman doesn't need to worry about giving away her phone number when she's already caught.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

22. - Top - End - #112

NinjaGuy

The rabbit unfreezes after a few moments, and Electra's voice chimes in.

"Ok, question time, sorry to interrupt. Can you describe Malice, please? I just want to confirm the info I've gotten about what he looks like. Also, I'd like to know a bit more about the compensation you were to receive. How much was he paying? Did he pay any of it up front, or was it all contingent on success?"

[City out of Time]

This time both of Electra's eyebrows raise in curiosity.

"That sounds like an interesting tale. Perhaps you can share it while we walk?" She gestures towards the road leading down into the camp. "And now that my curiosity is piqued, I do have to know, how the heck do you resurrect a dragon?"
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2019-09-27 at 08:56 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

[The Ruins of Old GLoG]

The axe-blow is enough to lay the wounded apparition low, and it disperses into a pile of white dust and smoke. The other one is struck by the shotgun's discharge, but its wound seems to only spur it to action. It leaps at Thryscir with surprising speed, trying to latch onto him and stab him with the needle in its snout. The fact that he's undead doesn't seem to stop it; should it manage to stick it into his bones it'll start drinking the magic force that animates him.

Fayyaad pauses in his response when Electra chimes in. As entertaining as he found it, this is a reminder he's still on a job here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Ruins of Old GLoG

Thryscir is indeed speared in the rib by the apparition, and he yells out in pain. The flames in his eye sockets are visibly getting lower. He hacks at the thing with the axe, more times than is probably necessary.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Camping Trip

The frustration isn't due to the move itself or confusion about how the move should be performed. At the offer of being shown again, the beast shakes its head. It was disgruntled with its own shape. The Body was Wrong for it to be able to perform the move that Koshal had displayed. Instead it chooses to follow through the first motions again, but instead of the backstep and swing, it ducks forward, ramming its shoulder before following through with an upward spinning swipe that digs through the ground on its way up. The tail ignites from scraping the rocks in the ground, sending a wave of flame flashing forward. Thankfully it at least keeps in mind not to direct it at the campers. Finally the Glavenus seems happy with itself. It was far more of an aggressive move, but at least it didn't mean leaping back with its awkward center of gravity and possibly knocking into something or someone.

It also means that not only does it apparently have an appreciation for martial arts, but it could improvise.

When done, it turns to look at the two, seeming to wonder if they had more to show him.

Triple B - Ambrosia

"So your body is ethereal usually? A spirit dragon that requires a host for a physical body?" Lydia reasons. "I've never heard of the type. Or rather, I've only ever heard talk or stories of such. I've never met or knew anyone who'd seen such though. Anything I could do to help?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

[The Ruins of Old GLoG]

The apparition comes apart under the axe-blows easily enough, dropping away from Thryscir and vanishing. The hounds seem to be holding their own against the other hungry spirits, but another one is coming to snatch the prey the lesser ones couldn't. And it's a big one.

This new being pushing its way through the veil is large and bulky, in contrast to the skinny mosquito-things. It seems to move on four legs, at first, but then it turns out that it's bipedal - merely hunched over so much that its arms are dragging along the ground. Its feet are hooves, while its hands end with seven long fingers each. The rest of its body is difficult to recognize under what looks like a mass of matted, dirty hair, streaked with blood. What little is visible suggests powerful, packed muscles. From among the hair comes a head that looks like an elongated horse's head, but with no visible eyes and two rows of crooked teeth. It shambles forward with blind, hungry purpose.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Camping Trip

Koshal nods, though the fire is a bit...alarming.
    "Please don't set the forest on fire." he tells the monster.
    "Um...did you want to show it anything, Master Wenomir?" he asks, unsure how to proceed.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

28. - Top - End - #118

Triple B - Ambrosia

"I am both actually. If you give me a moment, I can show you." Ambrosia offers.
    Assuming Lydia agrees to it, the scholar will start to walk off. "I'll be back in a minute. Need to exit this body." She could technically do that in front of Lydia but she didn't feel very comfortable having a relative stranger looking over her empty human body.

Eventually, a large, though signitificantly smaller than Lydia, dragon comes flying towards her. It then stops and inclines its head in a nod. "Greetings once more."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Old Wood

"No. Such equipment is rare and highly valuable." Very valuable. Where the wasps come from, a universal translator would cost more than their entire research station. The technology exists, but it is too complex and expensive to mass-produce.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The Ruins of Old GLoG

Thryscir looks at the thing, then down at his arm. He's noticed his arm is weaker after that life force sucking monstrosity. Looking back up at the seven-fingered creature, he makes the axe disappear and reform into another shotgun. "Hey, big and ugly!" he yells at the nigh-abomination. "I got a treat for ya, open wide!" And with that, Thryscir starts unloading the shotguns at it.