Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 428
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel kept a dismayed eye on the haunted vessel, but at once his attention was caught. A hand rose almost instantly to point in an opposite direction as he spoke, somewhat more quickly than usual (there was a lot to convey, and quite little time!) but with a peaceable calm under the circumstances.

    "What I believe to be an infernal dragon approaches, seemingly under some form of invisibility magics fortunately thwarted by my own preparations.

    "Approximately four hundred feet, approaching at approximately thirty to forty feet per second if my calculations are as correct as they usually are. Evading it appears not to be among our options. I would suggest that we focus our attentions thereon, and Captain Tanner can do her best to evade any shipborne munitions. I would advise in the strongest manner possible against fire, or attempts to influence the creature's mind, as they shall most certainly prove futile. By the infernal hellfire building within its maw, I would expect a most unpleasant breath weapon impact quite soon. I would recommend seeking cover. I have a spell of glitter-dust prepared which should disrupt any invisibility, once it approaches close enough."


    With that, Sefariel practically dove for whatever might possibly pass for cover with which to shield himself from the incoming dragon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Seek cover, I'm squishy and dislike hellfire! And prepare to cast glitterdust at the dragon as soon as it comes within range.

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus heard the wingbeats before Sefariel's called out. Atticus cursed; they were too opened and exposed for something like a Dragon. It could make full use of its flight though how it could keep pace with the Cerulean Gray was beyond Atticus. He pivoted, about to duck towards cover when something caught his eye. Deftly, he altered his course, rushing towards the bombard. He took the swiveling primitive cannon in his grasp, feeding his Animus into it briefly. It felt like a vacuum drawing his Animus without restraint but he could feel his power starting to form a solid lump within the barrel. He exhaled, cutting the connection. The elemental aura flared and took on a warm, pleasant glow. It would help staunch the thing's flames, though it wouldn't be able to quench them completely.

    He was antsy; he never tried something like this before. The thing was big and clunky, it take him a bit to familiarize how to aim the shot. And it wasn't designed for this; its an piece of artillery, not personnel armament. He could only wait till the Dragon revealed itself; or his allies relieved it of its magical concealment. I could use a bitta help here once it's shown it's ugly mug!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round: Move to the Bombard. Use Assay Resistance to no effect.
    1st Round: Move action; 'draw' the Bombard.
    Standard Action: Full Defense Action (in the unlikely event it decides to make an attack instead of a breath strafe)
    Swift: Temporal Body Adjustment to no effect
    Free Action: Swap to Active Element to Fire. AC is reduced by 4 (26), Gain Fire Resistance 15, Fast Healing 1, glow as a Torch.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Mais grumbled a bit, moving back as he snapped his fingers once more, giving all the other Haste once more. "When you are wounded, alert me, so I can extend your suff.. life span. "
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    A powerful surge of air blows across the vessel. Sefariel can see the dragon pull close by, open its maw, and let loose a wave of flames. His eyes widen as the beast is aiming directly for him. Like a horrific lance of unholy fire it streaks towards him, tearing into the deck as it passes.

    [Sefariel is subjected to 17 fire damage and 16 unholy damage, reflex save DC 22 for half; if he fails his save he cannot benefit from morale bonuses for 1minute]

    With its attack complete, the dragon's invisibility is lifted for all to see. A girdle of strange metal very similar to what the party saw on the hellship surrounds its body, surging with glyphs of arcane power. They flex and rattle in the hurricane-force winds surrounding the creature, while some sort of translucent magical shield that shimmers with multiple colors surrounds it. The creature confidently shifts its vantage directly overhead of the Cerulean Gray. Tanner, meanwhile, rotates the ship to try and bring the cannon into a clear firing shot of the dragon.

    [The dragon is currently 40 ft away from the skiff]

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    You identify the shimmering field around the dragon as an Entropic Shield spell

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 18
    Show
    You identify the powerful winds around the dragon as a Cloak of Wind spell

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 32
    Show
    The chains seem to be responsible for greatly increasing the fly speed of the dragon; if they could be damaged or better yet, removed, the Cerulean Gray could outrun it
    Last edited by Darvin; 2020-10-16 at 11:40 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron

    The dire bat charges at the much larger dragon, nibbling futilely on the hard scales covering the monster. attack - (1d20+7)[21], damage - (1d8+8)[13]

    Aron looks up to the left of the dragon, then starts falling gracelessly in that direction; he grows much bigger, and slashes at the dragon as he falls by and completely fails to stop and engage it.

    Swift: Enlarge Person self, free: fall in the direction of the dragon, free: wisdom check DC 16 to arrest my fall (1d20+0)[6], attacking at 20' distant, Attack - (1d20+17)[29], damage - (2d8+12)[19].
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-10-17 at 01:53 AM.
    Semper ludens.

    The Moonscar * OOC * Map

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Mais quickly moves to Sefariel to apply healing to the man.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Medical Training
    (1d20+20)[30] Heal check vs dc 15, for every point over it succeeds, heal 2hp.

    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus pushed against the hunk of metal, forcing the artillery to spin on its turret. His eyes darted between the swooping dragon and aiming mechanism to the side of the barrel, doing non-Euclidean math in his head to find just the right lead time for a lined up shot. He was almost there, he just needed a few more moments.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full-Round Aim the bombard at the dragon.
    Arcane Shield readied; if anything makes an attack roll against Atticus, make a spellcraft check (+15) against the attack result; success negates the attack (can't negate crits). Includes spells.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel half gasped, half grunted as the dragon's breath washed over him. That he had revealed the creature before it was ready and therefore made himself the optimal target for the creature was inevitable, but ... the fire would be no problem, but the rest, nothing but unthinkable damnable pain.

    As it hit him, full on, the little sparkles of brightness in his skin and hair turned a dull, ugly gray, which did not go away until Mais applied the appropriate healing. "Thank you" he whispered blankly before turning to stare down the dragon, his mind awash with possibilities, none of them especially satisfactory.

    Moving over toward Atticus to be present for, well, whatever assistance the man might need shortly, Sefariel began the summoning of something, as powerful as he could muster, to provide some sort of distraction.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Back to full health!

    Move over toward Atticus at the cannon position, start casting summon monster IV (to arrive next round).

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick just gives the dragon, the fire, the ship and excessively incredulous stare. It's almost like anything he can do is not going to be a thing for a while- this really is making him wish he had wings. Or flying boots. However, moving quickly he notes that Atticus could really use a hand- and so he does what he does best. "Attic, ye need to angle a little more to the north west. I'll load if you get your aim right." Oddly, while Roderick cannot use a firearm to save his life- loading one is not a problem for the brutish short fellow. And so, whatever Atticus requires him to do for him is done post haste.

    Also, the passenger in Roderick's head gets a question asked of her, 'Got any spells to help the guy out?'

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Moving to Atticus to assist him in aiming; hopefully providing either a faster reload time or a bonus to hit. Up to the GM.

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    The dragon ignores the dire bat's feeable attempt at an attack, but is caught off-guard by Aron's sudden aerial assault. His glaive parts the scales and drives deep into dragon flesh. The creature roars with bestial rage, spins its neck and clamps down hard with its maw, before continuing to reposition itself [Aron take 18 damage, and may attempt an attck of opportunity]

    The dragon spins around, spying the large number of adversaries gathered around the cannon. A sneer of contemptuous rage crosses its face as it roars and charges, a flicker in the back of its throat suddenly alighting. There is no mistaking it, this cannon is going to be engulfed in dragonfire momentarily. Roderick moves to quickly assist Atticus in the final preparations to fire the cannon, freeing up precious concentration for taking the one critical shot [Atticus receives +2 to attack from aid another]

    Tanner's voice emanates from the helm of the ship, "now or never, fire!"

    Spoiler: Roderick only
    Show

    Viri seems distant and silent; as Roderick addresses her specifically she snaps to attention, "I'm sorry, I'm trying to do something but it isn't working for some reason. I don't have anything that will get through all the warding that hell-breath has, but I do have a Dispel Magic spell that can maybe chip away at those wards. Not even worth trying an evocation until they're gone. I've also got a Fly spell, if you're inclined to go hit it with your sword. Don't much fancy going toe-to-toe with the dragon, myself, but..." Viri trails off as if to consider something, but as the dragon veers into attack trajectory her voice comes through at the speed of thought, "the dragon is connected to that hell ship. Break the connection, and it loses much of its power. I'm not sure how you'd do that, though,"
    Last edited by Darvin; 2020-10-23 at 01:35 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus turned the cannon, lining up his shot just as the dragon wheeled in the air. His breath hitched as he caught the dragon's murderous gaze. Forcibly, he exhaled through his nose, steadying himself, forcing his hands to stop trembling. His nerves steeled, he channeled his inner force, the animus taking shape in the cannon's barrel. It felt like an endless void, draining his energy faster than a broken dam. He didn't attempt to stem the flow, letting it flow unabated. It felt an eternity, but only a brief moment for the barrel to fill with the quasi-real cannonball formed from Atticus' animus.

    He shifted his stance ever so slightly, the warm light of his flaring aura soothed, taken on a musky earthen tone, leaving a slight bitter taste in his mouth. Atticus prepared to fire, but Roderick's targeting forced him to readjust at the last moment. Atticus willed it, the semi-real cannonball rocketing from the cannon's barrel through the astral air, streak of oozing green acidic vapor tracing its path.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Swap Active Element to Earth (lose FH 1; gain DR 5/Addy)
    Standard Action: Energy Hammer
    (1d20+11)[31] vs. Touch AC
    (6d6+9)[28] B/P damage plus (10d6)[32] Acid Damage. If hit, must make a DC 21 Will save or be Stunned for (1d4)[4] rounds.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick's eyes narrow- while he was not particularly well versed in 'being intelligent' he wasn't a dumb man by any real means. He had the instincts to fight well so; it meant more to his adventuring career to take the fight to the enemy. But, eyebrows furrow mightily at this point he then mutters to himself for a moment; before thinking to Viri, 'There was a heart in that ship- I know you don't fancy goin' back but... I'm pretty sure I can kill the ship- and I can enlarge myself again to make it work.'

    "Att- Atticus? Atticus, I picked up a passenger- she's telling me that the dragon's connected to the ship itself uh, I think I can kill the ship I saw a heart in it." His gaze focuses on the distant vessel with a glower. His gaze unfocused for a moment before he goes slack of face- clearly thinking.

    'Alright, Viri, if ya cast Fly on me I'll wait until the last second to grow big- I think I can do this. Just gotta believe in myself... heh.' Of course he'd definitely wait for Viri to let him fly.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Roderick is going to let Viri cast fly on him.

    Then Roderick will do as much movement as he can toward the Hellship.


  13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    As the last of the words to summon the lantern archons came into being, Sefariel found himself disappointed to find but a lone one arriving to heed his call, positioned at least to intercept the rapidly returning dragon. With a moment's thought, the creature knew to do it's (admittedly limited) best to injure, or at least distract, the dragon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lantern archon attacks in Discord:
    First hit AC 20 vs touch, 5 damage, ignores DR
    Second hit AC 16 vs touch, 3 damage, ignores DR

    I'm going to assume it does not survive the incoming breath weapon, lol.


    Meanwhile, Atticus was preparing to launch the ship's cannon... which would be quite useful. There was little Sefariel could do to assist in that endeavor, but it would be a shame if the man's true aim were confounded by the entropic wards designed for that purpose. He focused his energies toward removing the ward, the thoughts and words coalescing into power but an instant in his mind. This Astral Plane, he could get used to.

    That done, he fled the scene of what was sure to be an unpleasant spot to be quite soon, and with a word and a fumble at the pearl in his pocket the dispelling magics were back in his mind, fresh as before...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Complete casting of SM4
    Swift: dispel magic on dragon's Entropic Shield, caster level check 22 rolled in Discord
    Move: move 35' the hell out of the way of this breath weapon
    Standard: use 3rd level pearl of power to recall Dispel Magic.


  14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron

    Aron turns back to face the dragon once again, but keeps falling away from it, and the skiff.
    Semper ludens.

    The Moonscar * OOC * Map

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    "If you can get the dragon's cloak of wind off of it, I do have something that could help to make sure there is even less magic on the beast.. In the mean time.. Honestly stop trying to fly.." Mais mutters, taking wing as he attempts to catch up to Aron. "Focus. The enemy face is down."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    The ship rocks as the cannon fires, a wave of arcane energy accompanying the physical tremor. Sefariel's voice carries like a clarion call over the din of battle, shattering the protective field around the dragon. A twinned blast from the summoned Lantern Archon streak towards it. The dragon barrel rolls, evading one of the two blasts. The arrogant demeanor on its face changes instantly as it sees the cannonball hurtling towards it. It flexes its wings to dodge but it is much too late, as the cannon shot impacts its head. There is a loud cracking sound as the cannonball explodes.

    The dragon continues to hurtle forward, streaks of acid and acrid smoke trailing behind it. A massive gash extends across much of the left side of its head, the horn on that side of the head missing and its eye socket caved in. The remaining eye burns wide with unfettered rage as it continues its diving attack. Droplets of acid splatter off its body, repelled by some invisible field. There is a momentary surge of magic across its body that staunches its bleeding, and then its maw opens. A lance of flame jets forward, washing over the cannon and Atticus.

    [Atticus takes 25 damage, reflex save DC 22 for half; this is half fire damage, half unholy damage. If he fails his save he cannot benefit from morale bonuses for 1 minute]

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 17
    Show

    The Dragon casts Cure Moderate Wounds on itself as a swift action


    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 18
    Show

    The Dragon appears to be under the effect of a Protection from Energy [Acid] spell, which blocked all of the acid damage.


    The deck buckles as unholy fire washes across it. Splinters of wood are thrown up from the sheer force of the breath weapon. Through the torrent of flames bearing down on him, Atticus can see the dragon isn't stopping. It crashes into the ship, its mutilated head looming over Atticus and loosing a shrill roar.

    Mais reaches Aron, who has failed to redirect his motion back to the ship. The Strix grabs his companion, now in position to help him return to the fray.

    Roderick speeds away from the rest of the group, heading towards the hell ship in pursuit in the distance. As he approaches a cannon from that ship fires towards him. The arc is horrifically wide - the deformed gunners clearly having little competency with their task. He can now see clearly a figure standing at the helm of the ship, arms crossed as he stares into the distance ahead. Around his neck is a torc of the same strange metal that covers much of the ship, alight with a black flame that wreaths his neck and shoulders like a flowing lion's mane. He gives little heed to Roderick's approach.

    Spoiler: Roderick
    Show

    "Is that... Tarbeck? I... I saw him die. He was utterly obliterated, nothing left of his body. How is he alive!?" she stammers, then collects herself, "avoid him if you can. He's just a puppet of the infernal forces at play here now, and he was an accomplished swordsman in life. Whatever you have planned, fighting him would just slow you down and achieve nothing,"

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel nodded simply to Mais's request, and winced reflexively as the second wave of breath came in, even though it was nowhere near him. At his first chance, the dispelling magics reformed once more in an instant. From there... totally apart from his limited options for further helpfulness... well, how often does one get a chance to make a dragon slip on the ground?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift: dispel magic on cloak of wind (16 on CL check in Discord)
    Standard: grease on the ground underfoot (DC 17 reflex to save)
    Move: not really interested, assuming I'm out of melee range.

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus smirked as the beast dived towards his position. His body tensed, waiting for the torrent of hellfire. At the last moment, he ducked to the side, avoiding the brunt of the unholy flames before rounding the cannon back at the oversized gecko. Don't worry feller, I'll even ya out. Heedless of the danger, he poured his animus down the cannon's barrel once more bracing for the beast to tear his head off in the scant moments it took for the cannonball to form. He was determined, ready firing the cannon the moment the flow of animus ceased.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action Fading Strike, attack then teleport 30 ft somewhere else (in sight).

    (1d20+11)[16] vs. Touch (ha)
    (6d6+9)[26] B/P + (4d6)[13] Acid

    As a precaution, since I'm assuming its taking an AoO for firing, I'm using Arcane Shield. I roll a spellcraft against the attack roll; functionally my AC is the result (though if it misses normally, it still misses).

    (1d20+15)[27]

    Do note DR 5/Adamatine is still in effect
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron

    Aron grudgingly nods a silent thank you at Mas. He holds on and lets himself be dragged in the direction of the fight. In the meantime. he imbues his weapon with power against dragons.

    Swift to make my +2 weaopn into +3 keen. Standard to make it +4 keen dragon bane
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-11-07 at 01:38 AM.
    Semper ludens.

    The Moonscar * OOC * Map

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick gave a bright grin at this point and then- without much thought dashed off the ship and then stood up firmly with his arms crossed. Clearly the Fly Spell didn't encounter wind resistance or anything- why should he be on his belly to do this? With arms crossed and a grim grin on his face he saw the swordsman; and he knew full well that wasn't something to truck with- and with Viri's assessment? Oh boy was he NOT interested in fighting that.

    The cannonball that laced past him at an oblique angle made him snort- but; as it was? He could cast one more spell this day and he was going to make the most of it. Above the ship now he grimaces as claws begin to grow and his arms turn to stoney fur- however; it's the fact that he growled in very, very rumbly Draconic, "Enlarge." That the plan was much more obvious- turning in mid air he all but charges the ship's weakest looking point- after all it was rotted...

    Viri, actually, can control where he goes with this- as his mind is basically asking her for guidance with the lack of sane and thorough thought!

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Multiple Turns of getting to the ship.

    Free Action: Blood Rage

    Swift Action: Enlarge Person

    Charging Sunder on the ship I guess?

    To hit: 1d20+20 (3)+20 = 23
    Damage: 2d6+14 (4+3)+14 = 21


  21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    More the moment, Mais works to move Aron back into the frey
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel's spells arc around the dragon. One ripples through the cloak of winds around it, but fails to disperse them. The other forms a slick coating of grease under its talons, but the creature effortlessly steadies itself as its talons crunch through the hard deck underneath. Atticus' bullet fires through the magical chaos, and a streak of caustic acid flies through the air before being blown astray by the raging winds around the dragon.

    The dragon roars in rage. Its maw snaps over Atticus' head, the jaw crunching through an arcane shield - giving a split second for Atticus to jerk backwards and fade away into the distance. The dragon surges forward with infernal speed, closing its maw around Atticus. It recoils slightly at the unnatural toughness of the man, then spits him out. The runes on its harness flash as it attacks.

    Spoiler: Atticus and Sefariel
    Show

    The runes seem to be infernal glyphs. They flash briefly, but it's enough to make out something akin to a threat, "none who have been claimed shall be allowed to leave"


    Behind the dragon a pair of figures swoops in. Mais drops Aron into battle, and he comes crashing down onto the deck.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Atticus takes 19 damage from the bite attack, reduced to 14 by DR.

    Aron can choose where he wishes to fall with respect to the dragon.


    In the distance, Roderick surges with dragonic might and expands in size dramatically. He hurtles himself towards the hull of the ship, bracing with all his might as he attempts to smash through. He strikes the metallic surface, and it buckles violently against his momentum. The hull vibrates with incredible agitation, but Roderick finds little resistance against his body as he pushes through as if it were insubstantial. A ripple surges across the hull before a small external section shatters completely.

    Spoiler: Roderick only
    Show

    "Wait, what are you doing!? That's adamantine alloy infused with concentrated infernal quintess-" Viri's alarmed warnings are cut off as Roderick impacts the hull. Viri falls immediately silent, speechless at what she just observed. Roderick can see the internal hull of the ship, the tendrils of adamantine on the walls and floor retreating from the breach. A number of sludge-like creatures ooze through the cracks in the walls and floor, taking on a vaguely humanoid appearance as they lurch towards him in anger. Behind them, as if it were just around the corner, Roderick can hear the sound of a racing heartbeat.

    Roderick sees three of these creatures, each one is medium-sized and the hallway is 10 ft across so he'll need to either overrun or defeat at least one of them to break through.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2020-11-06 at 11:40 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron
    "Come get some!!!", Aron shouts gleefully. His voice is louder and deeper from his Enlarge spell, but his attacks are not at all slowed. His polearm flashes like thunder, swift and sure.
    Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Swift action Arcane Insight (magus arcana), free action haste from boots, Full Attack.
    attack:+16 normal, +2 further enhancement, +2 bane, +1 Str increase, -1 size, +6 Insight, +1 haste, -3 power attack: +24
    Damage: 2d8 +11 normal, +4 enhancement and bane, +1 str increase, +9 power attack: +25

    Attack1 - (1d20+24)[39], Dam1 - (2d8+25)[30] + (2d6)[9]
    Attack2 - (1d20+24)[32], Dam2 - (2d8+25)[37] + (2d6)[5]
    Attack3 - (1d20+19)[38], Dam3 - (2d8+25)[32] + (2d6)[12]
    ->Threat. 25 to confirm, 34 additional damage
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-11-07 at 01:54 AM.
    Semper ludens.

    The Moonscar * OOC * Map

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel drew in a breath of relief as Aron mangled what was left of the dragon. "Well done, sir" he stated encouragingly, though there was a bit of sadness even at the infernal creature's demise.

    "Captain Tanner! Is there anything I might assist you with in terms of navigation or in deploying weaponry? I am afraid my magical reserves are largely depleted."

    "The rest of you might, if you can, assist Sir Roderick in... whatever foolishness he is engaging in."

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick's body surges with another mighty bit of heritage; Shapeshifter, Shapechanger- however his arms bulge his teeth elongate and his jaws become far more powerful as he belts out a roar that would do a dragon proud. The first creature is met with a swing of an enormous; spined arm- pulverizing it's body and scraping along the hull of the ship- causing minor damage in the process. Thudding further down with purpose the second creature meets the same fate- albeit with his claws ripping into a wall so firmly that the wood shards explode outward in a display of might worthy of a young dragon.

    The final creature he lunges for- biting through it's midsection and spitting out the sludge; of course, he knows not to swallow. These things taste of ash and blood- that would be bad to swallow. However that heartbeat. He can hear it- pulsing...

    That's where he's going.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Moderately Cinematic Attacks that involve basically moving through things.

    Attack on Sludge Monster 1: 1d20+17 = (4)+17 = 21
    Damage to Sludge Monster 1: 3d6+15 = (1+3+6)+15 = 25

    Attack on Sludge Monster 2: 1d20+17 Claw = (14)+17 = 31
    Damage to sludge Monster 2: 3d6+15 = (2+1+4)+15 = 22

    Attack on Sludge Monster 3: 1d20+17 = (3)+17 = 20
    Damage to Sludge Monster 3: 2d6+15 = (2+2)+15 = 19


  26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron, Atticus, Sefariel, Mais
    The dragon barely has time to twist its head around in response to Aron's warcry before his weapon comes crashing down. Three arcing blows follow in one fluid motion as the dragon collapses to the ground with a thunderous collapses. As the light extinguishes in its eyes, its body begins to crumble away, turning to ash and dust and blown away by the currents of the astral plane back towarde fell ship that spawned it. As its form dissipates the heavy metallic chains that bound its body collapse to the ground with unnatural weight, crunching into the deck.

    The moment of silence is broken by Tanner, "good hustle, but we're not out of trouble yet. That tussle slowed us down enough to put us into cannon range, so see if you can screen us while I try to put some more distance up!"

    Spoiler: Roderick
    Show

    Roderick's outrage eviscerates the monstrosities standing before him, splattering them across the walls of the ship. He strides forward undeterred, seeking out the beating heart. He does not need to go far, as he forces his way through a damaged section of wall to find it. It seems larger and more menacing than when he last stepped into this room. It twists and convulses, and with each heartbeat he feels a surge of power wash over him. Like a roaring tide it impacts him over and over, breaking upon him like a surf against a rock. With each heartbeat the force grows stronger and stronger. The sound of the boat, the approach of more enemies becomes faint, and even Viri's voice becomes inaudible. All he can hear are heartbeats - those of this infernal heart, and his own.

    The heartbeats become faster and more erratic, and as they do words form inside his head, "kneel, thrall, and return what rightfully belongs to us," there is a part of Roderick that can feel the incredible force of this entity trying to exert its will upon him, and yet at the same time it feels strangely unreal. Perhaps sensing its mental assault was unsuccessful, a number of barbed harpoons emerge from the ceiling, walls, and floor, all poised to fire at Roderick.

    I the corner of his eyes, Roderick can see a mound of flesh growing in the corner. The shape of a wyrmling dragon begins to form and grow. It seems the ship is creating another one of those dragons, and there's no telling how long it would take to grow to full size. The heart beats mercilessly, in quiet anticipation of what comes next.

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    "I. Am. No. Slave.", is the rumbling growl that issues forth from Roderick's chest. The air around him ripples and he let's loose a shrieking, terrifying thing as he rushes forward- heedless of damage that will be done, uncaring if there are barbed tips piercing his flesh. His arm slams out; scythed talons causing the air to scream almost as he bears all his weight into a single point and rips into flesh that is as resiliant as the metal around him. His rage seeing him through as the distance covered was covered in impact craters of his footsteps.

    Roderick's blood pumped in his ears as he felt his blood sing. The riddle of what was here solving itself before his eyes...

    He would have this heart before him- he knew it!

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Spells Active: Enlarge Person, Fly
    Actions: Charge + Reckless Fury + Power Attack (W/Furious Focus)
    Charging and using Reckless Abandon AC is now 11
    Attack: 1d20+21 =(6)+21 = 27
    Apparently a Critical Threat According to GM
    Confirmation: 1d20+21 = (2)+21 = 23

    Critical Damage:
    6d6+28 = (1+5+5+5+3+1)+28 = 48

    Last edited by ThatDamnPaladin; 2020-11-14 at 08:03 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Spoiler: Roderick
    Show

    As Roderick charges at the heart, it unleashes a single heartbeat that seems to cause time to slow to a crawl. The harpoons and blades poised around him extend outwards to strike. One nicks his armor and shatters like soft wood striking solid steel, three drive into his flesh but break off and do not prevent him from continuing his attack [Roderick takes 21 damage]. Roderick's claw stretches out, and he feels some sort of protective barrier around the heart buckle, then shatter completely to the weight of his attack. He drives it directly into the soft flesh of the heart.

    Time holds still for a moment, the beating of the infernal heart and his own heart held still. Roderick can feel a strange sensation, something at once comforting and abjectly terrible at the same time. As Roderick pulls back his claw and extricates it from the flesh of the heart the flow of time resumes normally. The remaining harpoons and daggers fall harmless to the ground as the heart trembles, unable to continue beating. As his claw is fully extracted Roderick can see an injury far too large to be explained by his attack. The gouge left behind is big enough that he could comfortable crawl inside.

    The heart flashes with futility, as it bleeds both literally and metaphorically. Despite the copious spray of blood around the room, not a single drop lands on Roderick, and his hand seems almost pristine from having touched it. Its voice screams out, "Trickery and deceit! A mortal agent of hated enemies here to destroy us. We shall not allow it a second chance to strike," the heart surges with an overpowering emanation of infernal energy, but as it does so its injuries react with necrosis and the heart begins to disintegrate. The entire ship screams in unison, "what manner of poison is this!? What has the mortal done to us!?"

    The metallic veins on the walls of the ship begin to crumble as the heart struggles to maintain its control. The sludge creatures behind him don't seem incapacitated, however, and they stride forward to attack. One of their attacks lands short, but the other smacks Roderick in the back [Roderick takes 3 damage]

    The growing wyrmling in the corner of the room seems alarmed as the fleshy substance around it recedes. The creature, still in this infantile state, attempts to flee the room through the entrance Roderick used.

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick is under no direction nor does he seem to care that this thing is questioning him. After all; with the blood within his veins pumping at full volume he only knows that he has to destroy the enemy. And right now? He is doing just that. Fury burns in his veins as claws rend into the wooden and metal structures of the ship- tearing into the creature once, twice, then... he does something unexpected. Teeth- now clearly bared and much more dangerous come down and he rips an enormous chunk of flesh free of the demonic heart itself.

    His body ignoring the wounds pressing to it as he lets loose another belting scream of fury. His arms bulging with muscle as he does so- his savage attack doesn't stop and even if he is un touched by the blood itself the walls; the floor, the ceiling- the sludge beasts...

    All of these are coated in gore...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Actions: Reckless Abandon + Full Attack
    Claw 1: 1d20+19= (8)+19 = 27
    Claw 1 Confirm: 1d20+19 = (13)+19 = 32
    Claw 2: 1d20+17= (12)+17 = 29
    Claw 2 Confirm: 1d20+17 = (10)+17 = 27
    Bite: 1d20+17 = (4)+17 = 21
    Bite Confirm: 1d20+17 = (4)+17 = 21

    Damage:
    Claw 1: 6d6+28 = (1+6+4+2+3+1)+28 = 45
    Claw 2: 6d6+28 = (4+2+3+2+3+4)+28 = 46
    Bite: 4d6+28 = (1+4+3+6)+28 = 42
    Total = 133 Damage


  30. - Top - End - #420
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Spoiler: Roderick
    Show
    The screaming of the heart fades into the background, growing quieter and quieter as he continues to savage it. The other monsters in the room seem to grow distant, or perhaps they've left, or perhaps he eviscerated them in his rage; it's not like it matters. He continues to pound and break and shatter until the only heartbeat he can hear is his own. There is a moment of peaceful euphoria amidst the rage before the entire ship explodes.

    Roderick is disoriented as he floats through the debris field. He latches on to a particularly large piece of debris; the rapidly dissipating storm of infernal energy recedes to reveal the shattered husk of the ship, as well as innumerable corpses now floating free among the wreckage.


    Everyone Else
    Tanner calls out orders to her crew to assist in the rigging and putting in a jury-rigged repair of the damage dealt by the dragon. Cannon shots from the infernal vessel rain down from behind, and then suddenly stop. The entire hell ship seems to scream in unison. After several moments a glowing energy becomes visible, shining out from every opening of the ship, and then there's a flash of light. A moment later a thunderous explosion passes over the Cerulean Gray. The blackened miasma rapidly clears, revealing a wreckage field littered with debris and corpses.

    "Huh, I guess the big angry guy actually did it," Tanner exclaims. She pulls the Cerulean Gray into a holding pattern. Those who use a spyglass to survey the wreckage can see Roderick clinging to a piece of debris, injured but apparently alive. A few other things in the debris field catch the eye. There's another man grasping through the debris, trying to grab hold of anything large enough to secure himself. Flitting through the debris is a dragon wyrmling, moving form perch to perch as if looking for something. Lastly, there's something glowing softly in shades of orange in the heart of the debris.

    "I'm going to pull us a bit closer. Stay on guard," Tanner says as she directs the Cerulean Gray towards the wreckage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •