Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
Results 391 to 407 of 407
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel kept a dismayed eye on the haunted vessel, but at once his attention was caught. A hand rose almost instantly to point in an opposite direction as he spoke, somewhat more quickly than usual (there was a lot to convey, and quite little time!) but with a peaceable calm under the circumstances.

    "What I believe to be an infernal dragon approaches, seemingly under some form of invisibility magics fortunately thwarted by my own preparations.

    "Approximately four hundred feet, approaching at approximately thirty to forty feet per second if my calculations are as correct as they usually are. Evading it appears not to be among our options. I would suggest that we focus our attentions thereon, and Captain Tanner can do her best to evade any shipborne munitions. I would advise in the strongest manner possible against fire, or attempts to influence the creature's mind, as they shall most certainly prove futile. By the infernal hellfire building within its maw, I would expect a most unpleasant breath weapon impact quite soon. I would recommend seeking cover. I have a spell of glitter-dust prepared which should disrupt any invisibility, once it approaches close enough."


    With that, Sefariel practically dove for whatever might possibly pass for cover with which to shield himself from the incoming dragon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Seek cover, I'm squishy and dislike hellfire! And prepare to cast glitterdust at the dragon as soon as it comes within range.

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus heard the wingbeats before Sefariel's called out. Atticus cursed; they were too opened and exposed for something like a Dragon. It could make full use of its flight though how it could keep pace with the Cerulean Gray was beyond Atticus. He pivoted, about to duck towards cover when something caught his eye. Deftly, he altered his course, rushing towards the bombard. He took the swiveling primitive cannon in his grasp, feeding his Animus into it briefly. It felt like a vacuum drawing his Animus without restraint but he could feel his power starting to form a solid lump within the barrel. He exhaled, cutting the connection. The elemental aura flared and took on a warm, pleasant glow. It would help staunch the thing's flames, though it wouldn't be able to quench them completely.

    He was antsy; he never tried something like this before. The thing was big and clunky, it take him a bit to familiarize how to aim the shot. And it wasn't designed for this; its an piece of artillery, not personnel armament. He could only wait till the Dragon revealed itself; or his allies relieved it of its magical concealment. I could use a bitta help here once it's shown it's ugly mug!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round: Move to the Bombard. Use Assay Resistance to no effect.
    1st Round: Move action; 'draw' the Bombard.
    Standard Action: Full Defense Action (in the unlikely event it decides to make an attack instead of a breath strafe)
    Swift: Temporal Body Adjustment to no effect
    Free Action: Swap to Active Element to Fire. AC is reduced by 4 (26), Gain Fire Resistance 15, Fast Healing 1, glow as a Torch.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Mais grumbled a bit, moving back as he snapped his fingers once more, giving all the other Haste once more. "When you are wounded, alert me, so I can extend your suff.. life span. "
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    A powerful surge of air blows across the vessel. Sefariel can see the dragon pull close by, open its maw, and let loose a wave of flames. His eyes widen as the beast is aiming directly for him. Like a horrific lance of unholy fire it streaks towards him, tearing into the deck as it passes.

    [Sefariel is subjected to 17 fire damage and 16 unholy damage, reflex save DC 22 for half; if he fails his save he cannot benefit from morale bonuses for 1minute]

    With its attack complete, the dragon's invisibility is lifted for all to see. A girdle of strange metal very similar to what the party saw on the hellship surrounds its body, surging with glyphs of arcane power. They flex and rattle in the hurricane-force winds surrounding the creature, while some sort of translucent magical shield that shimmers with multiple colors surrounds it. The creature confidently shifts its vantage directly overhead of the Cerulean Gray. Tanner, meanwhile, rotates the ship to try and bring the cannon into a clear firing shot of the dragon.

    [The dragon is currently 40 ft away from the skiff]

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    You identify the shimmering field around the dragon as an Entropic Shield spell

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 18
    Show
    You identify the powerful winds around the dragon as a Cloak of Wind spell

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 32
    Show
    The chains seem to be responsible for greatly increasing the fly speed of the dragon; if they could be damaged or better yet, removed, the Cerulean Gray could outrun it
    Last edited by Darvin; 2020-10-16 at 11:40 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron

    The dire bat charges at the much larger dragon, nibbling futilely on the hard scales covering the monster. attack - (1d20+7)[21], damage - (1d8+8)[13]

    Aron looks up to the left of the dragon, then starts falling gracelessly in that direction; he grows much bigger, and slashes at the dragon as he falls by and completely fails to stop and engage it.

    Swift: Enlarge Person self, free: fall in the direction of the dragon, free: wisdom check DC 16 to arrest my fall (1d20+0)[6], attacking at 20' distant, Attack - (1d20+17)[29], damage - (2d8+12)[19].
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-10-17 at 01:53 AM.
    Semper ludens.

    The Moonscar * OOC * Map

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Mais quickly moves to Sefariel to apply healing to the man.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Medical Training
    (1d20+20)[30] Heal check vs dc 15, for every point over it succeeds, heal 2hp.

    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus pushed against the hunk of metal, forcing the artillery to spin on its turret. His eyes darted between the swooping dragon and aiming mechanism to the side of the barrel, doing non-Euclidean math in his head to find just the right lead time for a lined up shot. He was almost there, he just needed a few more moments.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full-Round Aim the bombard at the dragon.
    Arcane Shield readied; if anything makes an attack roll against Atticus, make a spellcraft check (+15) against the attack result; success negates the attack (can't negate crits). Includes spells.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel half gasped, half grunted as the dragon's breath washed over him. That he had revealed the creature before it was ready and therefore made himself the optimal target for the creature was inevitable, but ... the fire would be no problem, but the rest, nothing but unthinkable damnable pain.

    As it hit him, full on, the little sparkles of brightness in his skin and hair turned a dull, ugly gray, which did not go away until Mais applied the appropriate healing. "Thank you" he whispered blankly before turning to stare down the dragon, his mind awash with possibilities, none of them especially satisfactory.

    Moving over toward Atticus to be present for, well, whatever assistance the man might need shortly, Sefariel began the summoning of something, as powerful as he could muster, to provide some sort of distraction.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Back to full health!

    Move over toward Atticus at the cannon position, start casting summon monster IV (to arrive next round).

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick just gives the dragon, the fire, the ship and excessively incredulous stare. It's almost like anything he can do is not going to be a thing for a while- this really is making him wish he had wings. Or flying boots. However, moving quickly he notes that Atticus could really use a hand- and so he does what he does best. "Attic, ye need to angle a little more to the north west. I'll load if you get your aim right." Oddly, while Roderick cannot use a firearm to save his life- loading one is not a problem for the brutish short fellow. And so, whatever Atticus requires him to do for him is done post haste.

    Also, the passenger in Roderick's head gets a question asked of her, 'Got any spells to help the guy out?'

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Moving to Atticus to assist him in aiming; hopefully providing either a faster reload time or a bonus to hit. Up to the GM.

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    The dragon ignores the dire bat's feeable attempt at an attack, but is caught off-guard by Aron's sudden aerial assault. His glaive parts the scales and drives deep into dragon flesh. The creature roars with bestial rage, spins its neck and clamps down hard with its maw, before continuing to reposition itself [Aron take 18 damage, and may attempt an attck of opportunity]

    The dragon spins around, spying the large number of adversaries gathered around the cannon. A sneer of contemptuous rage crosses its face as it roars and charges, a flicker in the back of its throat suddenly alighting. There is no mistaking it, this cannon is going to be engulfed in dragonfire momentarily. Roderick moves to quickly assist Atticus in the final preparations to fire the cannon, freeing up precious concentration for taking the one critical shot [Atticus receives +2 to attack from aid another]

    Tanner's voice emanates from the helm of the ship, "now or never, fire!"

    Spoiler: Roderick only
    Show

    Viri seems distant and silent; as Roderick addresses her specifically she snaps to attention, "I'm sorry, I'm trying to do something but it isn't working for some reason. I don't have anything that will get through all the warding that hell-breath has, but I do have a Dispel Magic spell that can maybe chip away at those wards. Not even worth trying an evocation until they're gone. I've also got a Fly spell, if you're inclined to go hit it with your sword. Don't much fancy going toe-to-toe with the dragon, myself, but..." Viri trails off as if to consider something, but as the dragon veers into attack trajectory her voice comes through at the speed of thought, "the dragon is connected to that hell ship. Break the connection, and it loses much of its power. I'm not sure how you'd do that, though,"
    Last edited by Darvin; 2020-10-23 at 01:35 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground
     
    MesiDoomstalker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Penthouse Suite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Atticus turned the cannon, lining up his shot just as the dragon wheeled in the air. His breath hitched as he caught the dragon's murderous gaze. Forcibly, he exhaled through his nose, steadying himself, forcing his hands to stop trembling. His nerves steeled, he channeled his inner force, the animus taking shape in the cannon's barrel. It felt like an endless void, draining his energy faster than a broken dam. He didn't attempt to stem the flow, letting it flow unabated. It felt an eternity, but only a brief moment for the barrel to fill with the quasi-real cannonball formed from Atticus' animus.

    He shifted his stance ever so slightly, the warm light of his flaring aura soothed, taken on a musky earthen tone, leaving a slight bitter taste in his mouth. Atticus prepared to fire, but Roderick's targeting forced him to readjust at the last moment. Atticus willed it, the semi-real cannonball rocketing from the cannon's barrel through the astral air, streak of oozing green acidic vapor tracing its path.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: Swap Active Element to Earth (lose FH 1; gain DR 5/Addy)
    Standard Action: Energy Hammer
    (1d20+11)[31] vs. Touch AC
    (6d6+9)[28] B/P damage plus (10d6)[32] Acid Damage. If hit, must make a DC 21 Will save or be Stunned for (1d4)[4] rounds.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2020

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Roderick's eyes narrow- while he was not particularly well versed in 'being intelligent' he wasn't a dumb man by any real means. He had the instincts to fight well so; it meant more to his adventuring career to take the fight to the enemy. But, eyebrows furrow mightily at this point he then mutters to himself for a moment; before thinking to Viri, 'There was a heart in that ship- I know you don't fancy goin' back but... I'm pretty sure I can kill the ship- and I can enlarge myself again to make it work.'

    "Att- Atticus? Atticus, I picked up a passenger- she's telling me that the dragon's connected to the ship itself uh, I think I can kill the ship I saw a heart in it." His gaze focuses on the distant vessel with a glower. His gaze unfocused for a moment before he goes slack of face- clearly thinking.

    'Alright, Viri, if ya cast Fly on me I'll wait until the last second to grow big- I think I can do this. Just gotta believe in myself... heh.' Of course he'd definitely wait for Viri to let him fly.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Roderick is going to let Viri cast fly on him.

    Then Roderick will do as much movement as he can toward the Hellship.


  13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    As the last of the words to summon the lantern archons came into being, Sefariel found himself disappointed to find but a lone one arriving to heed his call, positioned at least to intercept the rapidly returning dragon. With a moment's thought, the creature knew to do it's (admittedly limited) best to injure, or at least distract, the dragon.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lantern archon attacks in Discord:
    First hit AC 20 vs touch, 5 damage, ignores DR
    Second hit AC 16 vs touch, 3 damage, ignores DR

    I'm going to assume it does not survive the incoming breath weapon, lol.


    Meanwhile, Atticus was preparing to launch the ship's cannon... which would be quite useful. There was little Sefariel could do to assist in that endeavor, but it would be a shame if the man's true aim were confounded by the entropic wards designed for that purpose. He focused his energies toward removing the ward, the thoughts and words coalescing into power but an instant in his mind. This Astral Plane, he could get used to.

    That done, he fled the scene of what was sure to be an unpleasant spot to be quite soon, and with a word and a fumble at the pearl in his pocket the dispelling magics were back in his mind, fresh as before...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Complete casting of SM4
    Swift: dispel magic on dragon's Entropic Shield, caster level check 22 rolled in Discord
    Move: move 35' the hell out of the way of this breath weapon
    Standard: use 3rd level pearl of power to recall Dispel Magic.


  14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Aron

    Aron turns back to face the dragon once again, but keeps falling away from it, and the skiff.
    Semper ludens.

    The Moonscar * OOC * Map

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    "If you can get the dragon's cloak of wind off of it, I do have something that could help to make sure there is even less magic on the beast.. In the mean time.. Honestly stop trying to fly.." Mais mutters, taking wing as he attempts to catch up to Aron. "Focus. The enemy face is down."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2017

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    The ship rocks as the cannon fires, a wave of arcane energy accompanying the physical tremor. Sefariel's voice carries like a clarion call over the din of battle, shattering the protective field around the dragon. A twinned blast from the summoned Lantern Archon streak towards it. The dragon barrel rolls, evading one of the two blasts. The arrogant demeanor on its face changes instantly as it sees the cannonball hurtling towards it. It flexes its wings to dodge but it is much too late, as the cannon shot impacts its head. There is a loud cracking sound as the cannonball explodes.

    The dragon continues to hurtle forward, streaks of acid and acrid smoke trailing behind it. A massive gash extends across much of the left side of its head, the horn on that side of the head missing and its eye socket caved in. The remaining eye burns wide with unfettered rage as it continues its diving attack. Droplets of acid splatter off its body, repelled by some invisible field. There is a momentary surge of magic across its body that staunches its bleeding, and then its maw opens. A lance of flame jets forward, washing over the cannon and Atticus.

    [Atticus takes 25 damage, reflex save DC 22 for half; this is half fire damage, half unholy damage. If he fails his save he cannot benefit from morale bonuses for 1 minute]

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 17
    Show

    The Dragon casts Cure Moderate Wounds on itself as a swift action


    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 18
    Show

    The Dragon appears to be under the effect of a Protection from Energy [Acid] spell, which blocked all of the acid damage.


    The deck buckles as unholy fire washes across it. Splinters of wood are thrown up from the sheer force of the breath weapon. Through the torrent of flames bearing down on him, Atticus can see the dragon isn't stopping. It crashes into the ship, its mutilated head looming over Atticus and loosing a shrill roar.

    Mais reaches Aron, who has failed to redirect his motion back to the ship. The Strix grabs his companion, now in position to help him return to the fray.

    Roderick speeds away from the rest of the group, heading towards the hell ship in pursuit in the distance. As he approaches a cannon from that ship fires towards him. The arc is horrifically wide - the deformed gunners clearly having little competency with their task. He can now see clearly a figure standing at the helm of the ship, arms crossed as he stares into the distance ahead. Around his neck is a torc of the same strange metal that covers much of the ship, alight with a black flame that wreaths his neck and shoulders like a flowing lion's mane. He gives little heed to Roderick's approach.

    Spoiler: Roderick
    Show

    "Is that... Tarbeck? I... I saw him die. He was utterly obliterated, nothing left of his body. How is he alive!?" she stammers, then collects herself, "avoid him if you can. He's just a puppet of the infernal forces at play here now, and he was an accomplished swordsman in life. Whatever you have planned, fighting him would just slow you down and achieve nothing,"

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

    Sefariel nodded simply to Mais's request, and winced reflexively as the second wave of breath came in, even though it was nowhere near him. At his first chance, the dispelling magics reformed once more in an instant. From there... totally apart from his limited options for further helpfulness... well, how often does one get a chance to make a dragon slip on the ground?

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift: dispel magic on cloak of wind (16 on CL check in Discord)
    Standard: grease on the ground underfoot (DC 17 reflex to save)
    Move: not really interested, assuming I'm out of melee range.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •