New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

Mais moved closer to Roderick, explaining in a low voice. "A raw deal perhaps, or perhaps not. I'm certain that is being of chaos and whatever temperament they happen to be in, we should likely abide for the moment to escape persurers.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

2. - Top - End - #482
    Halfling in the Playground

"Gorum is a chaotic wargod and I somehow doubt he'd offer trinkets to launder... I have a feeling this will curse us in some way." He mutters under his breath moving to get a better look at the other creature, "Might'nt I ask ya a question ma'am? Why so ardent about us mot acceptin' a thing from the skinny fella?"

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

The squat woman raises an eyebrow, as if taken aback that she is being addressed, "dear, I'm here to prove a point. I could care less whether you are swindled or pass up the opportunity of a lifetime, so long as one of you pulls the rug out from under this insufferable lout and proves me right. I hope you are not all as daft as you seem to be,"

"The mage seems pretty bright," the lanky man retorts as Sefariel continues to examine the stone. The woman does not respond at all.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus had watched the strange duo with a bewildered look. He wasn't sure what to make of either of them, besides being an inopportune distraction. Sounds like a buncha snake oil ta me. Sefarial, please be quick; we don't have time fer distractions... He trailed off as he traced the arc of a cannon shot, bracing slightly.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

"That is a wargod though, not someone such as this. " Mais says moving now to approach. "As for you though, Atticus was it? We're on a ship that flies, and none of us here are flying it. That is left to the pilot. Rather a distraction is quite what we need right now. Though..." he pulls out a black quill and a piece of paper, and begins to draw quickly on it. "As fine as your item is, its hardly one of a kind. Art on the other hand, never two would be the same, even if from the same person. So this is far too valuable for me to trade for your stone."

Spoiler: Mechanics.
    Show

Mais is attempting to draw a picture of the tall lanky man and the short woman.
    Course, he isn't really all that good at crafting checks, lol. Wish I had some bluff bonus items.

(1d20+4)[22] Craft check
    (1d20+14)[34] bluff check.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

Aron moves to put himself between the visitors and the helm, to ensure Tanner is not disturbed, in a stance that isn't overtly aggressive but certainly inhospitable.

Thoughts race through his mind as he watches the exchange. "The appearance of these two on the edge of the ethicality storm ahead is no coincidence. What happens here may well determine our course in the coming storm. I wish Sefariel wouldn't engage with that chaos avatar. I should stop him. But we are still on edge after the unfortunate incident with the ghost wizard. Now is not the time for me to assert my will over my companions. I have to trust him. He is as smart as I am, and better schooled probably. But I don't know if he is a sucker. Well, the skiff is still moving, and that's the most important part."
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-02-12 at 01:31 AM.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sefariel
    Show

The stone appears to be suffused with a powerful type of energy, though not a kind that you've ever seen before. The energy is formless and chaotic, and yet at the same time grounded inside this physical stone.

Spoiler: Mais
    Show

Drawing close and analyzing the stone, you catch a glimpse of what it really is: raw potentiality. Like an idea swirling around in a master craftsman's head, this stone's future is not yet fixed and it could be molded and shaped into something truly remarkable. An offer of such an item seems too good to be true, but you can perceive no faults or illusions in the stone.

The Lanky man laughs at Mais, "a fine offer my friend, but sadly I have no way to hang that work of art. Surely you can offer something that would be useful for a poor connoisseur of art like myself to fully appreciate your masterpiece? But alas, you don't seem to have anything that would help,"
    Last edited by Darvin; 2021-02-12 at 03:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel examined the stone for some time, aided by a simple spell to enhance his awareness of the magic. His face turned from wonderment to confusion as he stared. Finally, he shook his head.

"I am afraid I must respectfully decline" he said apologetically to the man. "It is clear that it appears to be imbued with some form of power, and a great deal of it, that much is certain -- but I am unable to fathom what it may be, or what might be done with it. It should not be possible in its current state. Mind you, should any of my colleagues have a more complete understanding, I should not discourage it should they wish to take the risk -- but a great risk it may be, fraught with uncertainty, and perhaps danger.

"For myself, I choose not to meddle with mysterious sources of great power until I am properly able to take the opportunity to understand them -- all things can be so understood with reason, given sufficient time, I believe. It is unfortunate that under the present circumstances time is one resource is one we possess in very short supply. Perhaps it is a fair trade, or even more, but I am, I fear, a poor partner for it."

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

The lankey man falls silent at Sefariel's response. He raises a finger and opens his mouth then drops it and thinks; there is something about Sefariel's response here that has legitimately flummoxed him.

"If I may briefly discuss a matter with my erstwhile rival over there," the lanky man snatches up the stone and excuses himself and he swoops next to her swiftly. The two of them whisper unnaturally, their mouths not moving in any way that seems to correspond with intelligible sounds (much less actual words) before the lanky man breaks away.

"By the rules of the little challenge between us, I must inform you of the properties of this priceless relic, my dear wizard," he allows the stone once again to float towards Sefariel, this time approaching within arm's reach, "you may... touch it, if you so desire,"

Should Sefariel (or anyone else) wish to touch the stone to examine it:

Spoiler
    Show
    A flood of sensations enter your body as you touch the stone. It is not raw power like you expect, but rather raw potential and is limited only by the imagination of its owner. Its power will likely somewhat dissipate upon leaving the squall, but it will retain a large fraction of its wondrous properties.

This stone can duplicate the properties of any ioun stone (except those with limited charges), and as a full round action the holder can change which ioun stone it is duplicating. Upon leaving the squall it will likely have a limit on how often it can be changed.

As soon as anyone touches the stone the lanky man exclaims, "you see!? Such a unique relic, one which I am forced to part with by my wretched counterpart and her wager. Surely you cannot deny your sense of touch. How could that possibly be fooled!? A poor sap like myself couldn't do it, that's for sure! It's worthy - more than worthy - of the most expensive and rare items in your possessions. Truly my wager with my rival here is the opportunity of a lifetime for you to obtain such a priceless artifact. You'd be a fool to turn down my offer!" the lanky man's tone seems slightly different than before.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well" Sefariel replied somewhat resignedly, taking hold of the stone... and a look of astonishment crossed his face; the little sparkles in his skin lit up for a moment.

"That is... virtually impossible. Remarkable. I see. Yes, if -- any sense can be fooled, of course, given sufficiently advanced magics, which one who would appear suddenly atop the mast of an astral vessel might well possess. But, it seems, that if that were the case, I shall have only myself to blame for a modicum of avarice...

"Very well, sir. I succumb to your offer. I presume that you are well aware that the purely financial terms of this exchange are completely inequitable, and in my favor. As such, I leave it to you as to which of the two pearls I possess you more desire in return. This one, here" he offered, reaching into his pouch to retrieve them both and extend them in his hand "is the more valuable of the two in those terms. If it truly make no difference to you, I would of course prefer to offer you the other; if nothing else, it should be more replaceable with reasonable effort on my part, and in the meanwhile it will allow me that much more to offer to my companions in our travels.

"An interesting choice you have made, in the pearls; in their own modest way they replicate that which you offer -- their own power, though much more limited, depends greatly upon the intelligence and intentions of their owner."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

The lanky man approaches tacitly, eying Sefariel. His demeanor changes to a vicious sneer as he snatches the greater of the two pearls, though his emotions are now worn plainly on his sleeve and his decision is more out of spite. The shining stone tumbles into Sefariel's hands. There is a momentary resonance of magic as it touches him, and then it softly floats upwards to orbit his head, tacitly awaiting Sefariel to will it into its desired form.

The squat woman is the first to break the silence, "hah, see, I told you so didn't I!? Just as you cannot give an ordinary stone the powers of a relic by words alone, you cannot steal away the powers of a true relic by sowing uncertainty and doubt! Reality shone through like daylight, clearer than your poisonous words! By the terms of our wager I've won, you odious lout!" the squat woman laughs, then turns to Sefariel, "I must thank you, little one. Your reason for refusing had nothing to do with his words, but rather concern regarding its true properties being beyond your ken. Had you refused on such a basis, he would have still lost. Thus his hand was forced to show you a little more than he would have liked. And from the beginning I thought your caution would work against my wager, not for it. Never have I been happier to be proven wrong,"

"Enough!" a peal of lightning erupts as the lanky man's face is now a deep shade of red and his entire head begins to swell up, "you insufferable cretins, you've robbed me of a great victory this day. I'll find every other aspect in this storm and I'll convince them break this ship and everyone on it. Smash it to splinters, burn it to cinders, scatter it to the winds of the astral. For this humiliation I. will. make. you. suffer!" and as he speaks the last word the lanky man's head bursts like a volcanic eruption and a searing red liquid comes pouring out, spilling into the storm around you. Some bits of the goop land on the deck, where they sizzle but otherwise appear harmless. His body collapses like a rag doll, rapidly disintegrating to dust and disappearing into nothing before it strikes the deck. The pearl of power he took from Sefariel is nowhere to be seen. At the same moment the swelling surges of the storm that held back the Cerulean Gray give way, and Tanner steers the ship into a new current the sweeps it ahead. The pursuing ships slip further away.

"Now that is a sore loser," the squat woman chuckles, "I'd offer you a reward for being so helpful to me, but the prize you won from my opponent is probably more than enough as it stands. Still, one piece of advice," she begins to turn into dust as she shares her parting wisdom, "do not follow white rabbits,"

In the distance of the storm the crackling of thunder washes over you. Amid the occasional flash of lightning you can make out an enormous shape in the distance. The humanoid figure swings wildly at vastly smaller attackers. Tanner appears to make a concerted effort to steer the ship away from this tumultuous conflict, but every time the ship tries to turn the winds crash hard into the ship and send it careening hard in the other direction. Those of you who look over the edges of the ship see that the currents of the astral have transformed into an army of diminutive soldiers. Listening closely you can hear their warcries, "Death to the tyrant! Give us liberty or give us death! Together we are stronger!"

While you aren't quite close enough to see the details of the battle ahead, you can hear the chattering warcry of what sounds like thousands, and a single booming voice that shouts over them, "you fools, if you strike me down you shall only injure yourselves. I am the shoulder that holds up our world, and if I am gone there will be nothing to fill the void that I leave behind!"

It would seem that there is another debate in the depths of the storm, this one more violent than the last.

Spoiler: Aron
    Show

Peering ahead with your aura sight, you can make out an overpowering aura of law around the enormous figure, and a frothing tide of faint chaotic auras milling around it.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel nodded as the man snatched the better of the pearls. Lamentable, but expected nonetheless, as was the puerile ranting afterwards. He merely nodded a thanks at the short woman.

He took a moment to first remove the stone currently orbiting his head, returning it to Atticus with a thanks. "I rather suppose there should be no immediate need for my continued possession of your stone. If any of you thinks you might benefit from a particular application of this new item, I would happily entertain discussion of the matter at an appropriate time."

He considered the matter but briefly before letting the stone enter its orbit, it turning a bright vibrant orange and shaping itself into a clever little prism.

At the sight of the impending.... tide? of tiny men, it seemed apparent that this strange event was but another of the peculiar tests the Astral had seen fit to offer.

"What seems to be the problem, little ones?" he asked to none in particular. "Have you a particular grievance?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For now, I guess we'll make the ioun stone a nice boring +1 caster level type. I'll at some point want to properly identify this thing and the powers (and limitations of switching it), via whatever means available (including an identify spell, because duh).

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

"Freedom!" a shout echoes out in response to Sefariel, "Down with the oppressor!" another chimes in, "Give me liberty or give me death!" comes a particularly zealous cry.

"One moment!" a distinct voice rings out from the crowd. Suddenly a group of the tiny sprites group together, and throw one of their members up onto the deck. The uncoordinated figure clad in orange tumbles across the deck, stopping just shy of Sefariel. He dusts himself off and looks up. Though his features make him seem very much like an elf, he stands no taller than a halfling. He composes himself and speak, "the revolutionary army is going to overthrow our great oppressor. Once he was of the same stature as the rest of us, until he became our king. Slowly he fell to the vices of avarice and gluttony, and he grew larger and larger until he towered over all of us, and in his might he grew arrogant. We're fed up! No more! We will bring down the tyrant and no longer an he hoard our treasures!"

In the distance the giant figure swings an enormous maul, crashing into a drove of his tiny foes and scattering them back towards the storm, "I built this kingdom, without me we wouldn't even have these great treasures. By my strength I hold this kingdom together, by all rights I have earned my wealth and power. You ungrateful vermin know only how to steal from your betters!"

"Soon he will fall; he is mighty indeed, grown fat on the spoils of his conquests, but we are many and he is one and he will eventually fall!" the sprite before Sefariel insists, but takes a moment to marvel at the ship.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Mais makes a tsk sound, before reaching into his pockets and pulling out rope and twine, throwing it onto the deck before the sprite. "Bind his feet, bind his hands. Then you can bring him down. Mortar walls of brick around the tyrant and build upon his enlarged form."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"I don't think we should help the little ones. Being smaller doesn't make them right, you know. We feel that they must be, but that is only sympathy brought from unconscious memories of the time we ourselves were rebelling against giants for our freedom. But the world must be run by adults, not children". [/I]
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

"The little one has done nothing to convince me. But by words of the big one alone."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's a really good idea. Any idea where we can get some brick and mortar?" the sprite asks Mais.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2021-02-22 at 10:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

This sounds like a lot of not our problem. Atticus grumbled. Don't matter whose right or wrong. We're outsiders; we can't make that call. Too little info.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

"Based on the storm, the conflict, and what had happened previously, we're involved if we wish to keep moving onward. " Mais guessed.

20. - Top - End - #500

"Pretty much my thought on it," Considering his level and his alignment he bristles with Chaotic alignment all day long. That said he does frown to himself he of course scoffs at everyone, "You would let others be oppressed simply because it is easier? Surely that isn't how you all act all the time, if so- that is rather craven is it not?"

"Plus the bigger ones have the better loot, clearly you all didn't adventure enough to learn that." He's teasing, clearly- and walking forward to get a good look at whatever it is in the distance, "... What is that thing anyway?"

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Roderick peers at the towering figure ahead. The creature's lower half seems planted directly into the storm and isn't visible below the abdomen, and a humanoid form of gargantuan scale extends above. Chiseled muscles ripple as he swings an enormous hammer, striking and sweeping at the hordes of enemies assailing him. He wears little in the way of clothing, save for a royal crown and illustrious cloak that billows in the storm. The face of the creature seems odd; almost elf-like in proportions yet juxtaposed with a well-shaped beard that seems so unlike an elf's face.

22. - Top - End - #502

"Huh, always thought elves would look better as men if they could grow beards." He strokes his chin slowly at this point before chuckling and just looking about, "I'm more concerned that he has a crown, cloak, and hammer- this fellow seems like a ROYAL pain in the ass to fight probably."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

"Which is why, we give the small folk rope and fly this one back to his people. As much as I wish to move on, at the same time it isn't our fight to fight. No meaning in victory unless they grasp it themselves." Mais replies, as if the small elf wasn't even there. "Perhaps he is the result of Dwarfs and elves mating. Humans seem to do anything with a hole, and now there something out there that is half human half something else. Even rocks. Even fire. Seriously.. Fire? Nevermind, not important, the point is I believe these are... Dwelfs. Dwarls? Alfs? Evarfs.. warfs.. whatever."

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

"If I may, I wish to interject a point that perhaps neither of the parties have considered."

The wizard bent down, taking a hand of the little creature before him, and speaking gently. "Perhaps, it is true, this fellow has, in your mind oppressed you. There is certainly evidence to support your claim. Nonetheless, you must admit that he has proven himself a capable individual if nothing else, and it might be worth your learning something from him rather than summarily discarding potential leadership from one of great skill."

He let the little one go, and stared up at the giant. "And you, sir. With respect, if you are to proclaim yourself a king... I have always believed that the true worth of a king can always be ascertained by the quality of those in his kingdom. Your people, it seems, despise you. They would sooner see themselves killed by that great hammer you wield, than spend another moment under your rule. I believe you could probably destroy them all, in time, if you wished; none among us question your might. They know it as well, but do not fear it. But then what would you do, sir king, with nobody left to rule? You would find yourself back where you started, as the smallest among all you can hope to see. Is that what you would have yourself become? I rather think not.

"It seems that there is an eminently suitable solution to the matter -- you must share your might and your treasures with those who helped you obtain them. They will grow, surely, and you shall find yourself smaller than you are now. And they shall have the ability to assist you all, further still, to grow greater and greater. There is but no question that each and all of you will be quite a bit larger than when you began. And was that not the original purpose of your adventures?"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

The small figure on the deck bristles with Sefariel's lecture, "do you not think there are other capable leaders among us, oh so many who would risk death itself for just one chance to prove themselves as king? It is an aspiration and dream denied by the one who currently sits upon the throne and would never allow any others the opportunity to threaten his absolute power! And even if our new king is a fool who squanders our wealth, what little is left to be shared will be greater than what scraps are left to us now!"

As the ship pulls near the looming figure there is a lull in the battle. The tiny sprites assemble into a ring around the enormous regal figure. In an exaggerated sweeping motion the king spins his hammer face down and rests his shoulder gently against it. He silently listens to Sefariel, his eyes glaring down at the tiny figure on the boat. There is a silence as Sefariel speaks, and then the great monarch tilts his head back and bellows a mighty laugh. The astral shudders and the winds whip up as the king regains his composure and bends down, his hand stroking his beard as he examines Sefariel.

The king speaks softly, but even so his breath sweeps across the deck like a heat wave. There is a pleasant sweetness to the air that exudes from his mouth, tinged by a faint odor of decay. The king calmly speaks, "do you not think I give them chances to earn their treasures? Is it my fault that none of them proved worthy of grasping them? That not a single one rose above mediocrity to even a tiny modicum of my great stature? I am a magnanimous ruler, and I will not allow my subjects to starve or perish, but if they want great rewards they must be earned as I earned mine,"

Spoiler: Roderick
    Show

[Sense Motive] You get the sense that both sides are being sincere, and believe they are in the moral right.

Spoiler: Sefariel and Mais
    Show

[Sense Motive] You get the sense that both sides are being sincere, and believe they are in the moral right. The King is clearly oblivious to the mounting frustrations of his subjects, but you also get the sense that the angry mob has no concrete plans on what to do if they actually prevail.

Spoiler: Atticus
    Show

[Sense Motive Critical Success] You get the sense that both sides are being sincere, and believe they are in the moral right. The King is clearly oblivious to the mounting frustrations of his subjects, and is so far removed from their experience that he struggles to empathize and understand them. At the same time, the angry mob has no concrete plans on what to do if they actually prevail, other than choose a new king from among themselves and simply hope he'd more virtuous than his predecessor. There is a distinct lack of introspection on both sides.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

"That much is true. Even with rope provided, none dare take it lest they be the ones crushed under the responsibility. However one of you must finish it as I do wish to continue on wards. Perhaps if we were to build a rather large slingshot, they could launch themselves. "

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus groaned, rubbing his temples at these... things. They were in their way and frankly, they didn't have time for distractions. And it was clear that neither group had anything close to a sound argument or reasoning. He strode forward swinging his musket around so the stock banged against the guard rail of the ship to draw attention to himself. Alright, listen up! I ain't gonna say this twice! I heard enough of all yer yapping and belly achin' from both of ya. You! He points at the big thing with the stupid crown. When was the last time ya had to deal with the struggles the littles had to do day in and out? You are so far away from them that you don't even know what they go through! Do you honestly believe that their complaints are whines of children and not real issues? Ya gotta take a step back and listen. Otherwise they'll just run over ya and discard ya.

He then turned to the mass of small things. And you! What's your next step? What ya gonna do once he's lost his head? Who will lead you? Will anyone lead? Have you thought about anything beyond your next swing? What keeps your next king to be just like him? You are so gung ho to kill 'im but that won't solve yer problems. You'll get stuck in a circle of yer own making, repeatin' the same mistakes over and over again.

Atticus sighs, his tone softening before he continues. Both of ya need to take a step back and think. Ya ain't wrong, but ya ain't right either. So stop this fightin' and hollerin'. Sit down. Talk. Ya really need it.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20-1)[1]
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps" mused the aasimar "perhaps you are each right, in your own way. Perhaps these small creatures are unworthy of your treasure and unworthy of your rule."

He nodded placatingly at the throng of little ones. "And equally perhaps, this one underestimates you, and your abilities. Perhaps there are those among you who would be king."

"If you are both correct, might I make a somewhat radical suggestion, one I had not considered until now. It may be best if you were simply to part ways. It seems best for each of you in turn. Your current king can perhaps find a more appropriate group to embrace his rule and thrive under it. And each of you, free of what you believe is his oppression, can try to make the most of each other. I believe that you will quickly find that you need each other more than you think you do, but what harm could a trial separation do each of you?"

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"I concur with my friend, your majesty. Leaving your subjects without proper leadership for a time will teach them a valuable lesson. They will call for you to come back soon enough."
    Semper ludens.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a dead silence in the air after Atticus speaks. Weapons are gripped, eyes dart, and teeth grit and gnash. It's unclear where the first shouts come from, but it very quickly becomes a cacophony of voices shouting over each other. It seems Atticus' bold words have touched a nerve, riling and agitating everyone involved. There is a sense of imminent danger, with the Cerulean Gray caught at the center of the storm. After several seconds the king emits a mighty shout, "enough!"

Silence falls again, then the king glares at Atticus and speaks, "have you ever ruled anything, boy? Felt the burden of authority on your brow? So easy it is to make light of a weight you've never had to carry. Looks so easy from a distance, but this mantle... would crush you,"

Sefariel and Aron chime in, attempting to defuse the situation with a peaceful compromise. While their proposal seems to garner a measured consideration from the king the others do not seem so keen on the idea. The sprite still standing on the deck quickly articulates the problem, "maybe he's so full of himself to think he can survive all by his lonesome, but we know that without our treasures we would perish in this harsh world. It's his mastery over our treasures that gives him power over us, by withholding them he can withhold survival itself and bend us to his whim!"

"And how many have I condemned? Fairly have I ruled by the letter of the law, and none but criminals duly convicted have been punished by my hand," the king scoffs.

"You mean the laws you wrote and judged only by you!?" a voice from the crowd shouts and the crowd once again builds into a furor.