New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

Aron

"Your majesty. Consistency and equitableness are prerequisites for being a good monarch. But they are not sufficient. Order by itself is not justice. There must be room for growth and ambition, and the law must reflect the wishes of the subjects".

Aron points his blade at the giant, in a gesture made comical by the vast disparity in size.

"I trust that you are true to your word. If you will swear to me now to be a better king, duty-bound to the betterment of your subjects rather than entitled to enjoy the benefits of power, I will stand by you. If you will not, then you will be brought down".

Semper ludens.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Halfling in the Playground

"The letter of the law?" There is a tone of disbelief in his voice, "Really, the letter of the law but not the spirit of it? That's as shamefaced as any Abdaran Clergyman who gives out loans to the poor only to rip away their livelihoods by calling in debts at an interest they cannot pay."

He seems to be incredulous at this entire debacle going down and has his arms crossed over his chest, "Not that my opinion matters here at all; but if you obey the letter of the law it is clear the spirit must be lacking- or your servants and fellows wouldn't be revolting and trying to overturn your power."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

The king lets a small tweak of a smile slip through when Aron speaks of standing by him, but it quickly flips into a scowl a moment later with the talk of striking him down, "I have always sought to be a paragon of order and justice, an even-handed justice for all. There is a fine line between order and anarchy, and it takes a wise and experienced ruler to find that fault line, and so little experience to criticize those carefully measured cuts,"

He seems about to turn away when Roderick speaks. The king bends down over the unruly-looking man and his eyes flash, "spirit of the law, you say? Of course, I know the spirit of the law better than any. I wrote every one of those laws, I am the spirit behind them!" he immediately pauses as there is a crackle of lightning spreads across his brow and the king winces in pain. Though he appears unharmed, his stature seems ever so slightly less impressive.

Spoiler: Sefariel, Mais
    Show

The crackle of energy around the king's head seems to have been a powerful planar feedback. The king is a manifestation of a raw ideology, and quite plainly an authoritarian ideology. It seems that the words he spoke in retaliation to Roderick have weakened him.

Spoiler: Aron, Atticus
    Show

The crackle of energy around the king's head seems to have been a powerful planar feedback. The king is a manifestation of a raw ideology, and quite plainly an authoritarian ideology. Ordinary people often has a certain amount of cognitive dissonance, holding multiple contradictory beliefs in service to their preferred or intuitive world view. While a mortal mind might sweep away such contradictions, as an unfettered idea the king seems to be vulnerable to such dissonance. Claiming in one breath to be an even-handed agent of the law while in the next admitting that the law is his own will made manifest has weakened him.

It is likely both the king and the horde of subjects can be weakened in much the same way, by forcing them to confront the dissonances in their belief.

4. - Top - End - #514

"As you seem diminished I think you may have lost the spirit of the law somewhere along the way," Roderick replies easily. He is less than intimidated as well. When one adventures to run from a church militant that wishes you dead? You tend to lose the fears that most men have about being confrontational

"Your claim it seems is false, perhaps you would like to explain to me why it is you believe simply because you made the laws that you embody their spirit?" There is a challenge in his eyes now, "Because it seems to me that you can't be both."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

For the time being, as Mais often did, he stood back. Watching and observing everything he could see through his bird face mask. Clearly there was something with the crackle of energy, but for the moment he didn't see a way to fully mess with it.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel cocked his head ever so slightly at the large man wincing and shrinking. Selfishness and order were not well compatible, though one would often masquerade for the other. Perhaps the 'freedom' the others sought was equally impure?

He bent over again, to talk to the little one that had wandered up on deck, and to as many of the others as he could. "It seems that soon enough you shall have what you desire" he smiled. "Have you determined which of you, and how many, will act as your future rulers? I think that you might be an excellent candidate. Or you, sir. Or perhaps that fellow right there... perhaps you could share your ideas with me as to how things ought to be once you are free?"

He steeled himself for what was sure to be a cacophony of a million voices in perfect disharmony.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel's prodding has the desired results, and each of the spirits he points to in turn begins to spin off their own vision for the future of their people. Some of the proposals seem realistic, like a roof over every head, but others are downright farcical, like a hippopotamus in every bathtub. Many of them break into pairs to berate each other for their respectively "stupid" ideas, and as they shout the same crackle of energy that appeared on the king's brow ripples through the crowd, and as the tremors dissipate the host seems to have fewer among its number than before.

Meanwhile, Roderick's prodding of the king provokes a response, "I carry the full mantle of governance on my shoulders; I alone understand its burden, and have the experience and breadth of vision to craft and execute the laws that create a functioning civilization. Look upon the host of the bickering mass, no great insight among them or understanding of the law. I am the king, the only one capable of bringing order and stability to my kingdom, and if the law is to come from anywhere it could only possibly come from my brow, my heart, my soul," a cloud of static jostles around the king's head, as if he dances on the edge of another reckoning similar to the last one.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

Aron faces the throng and shouts. "Who among you is considered wise? Who among you is considered just and fair? If not yourself, then which one individual among your fellows do you trust to be a greater king?"

His blade sweeps in a slow arc, and stops, pointing at one individual. "This one. Who will vouch for him as king? Who will renounce their own claim and back this one whole-heartedly?"
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-03-31 at 05:04 AM.
    Semper ludens.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aron, my friend, I'm rather afraid you have missed the point. You ask who is worthy? They may each be worthy, but who will choose to stand up to their king? The only way, it seems is for them to band together, as one. Only if they can put aside their differences and join in harmony can they hope to achieve their freedom."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

The King's brow ripples with with static as he retorts angrily to Aron, "I am wise! The wisest among my kin!" only to be met with shrill denunciations from the crowd. The king winces as he considers his retort, feeling the growing static in the air, "have I not proven my cunning and wisdom as ruler, to have earned our claim to our many treasures?"

"We all worked for those, you just hog 'em!" a voice from the crowd yells. It is very clear that if any among the crowd do support the king or even tolerate him, they are drowned out by the mass of those who shout him down. And yet, the group seems unable to respond to Aron's request to nominate another leader, united mostly by their hatred of the old one.

As Sefariel speaks, the one sprite standing on the deck looks on and remorsefully speaks, "you're right, I see no harmony here. Only a tyrant and a mob. Do we leave him be and hope his whims grow less severe? Or do we cast him down and fracture in our discord? Is there even another path, or are we doomed to a choice of tyranny or anarchy?"

A small group of the sprites, clearly coming to a degree of disgust from their more belligerent brethren crowd around the ship and this introspective one. It is not many, and the majority continue to argue angrily and brandish their weapons. However, some few seemed to have been moved by the call for harmony.

In the distance, however, there seems to be a break in the storm, a safe passage where the swarm of spectral figures has parted away. The swirling energies of the astral form a keyhole exit from the squally. Sitting neatly and patiently in that keyhole is a rabbit of purest white fur. Its ears tweak and it jostles its head, as if beckoning the Cerulean Gray to follow. Tanner seems unresponsive to this rabbit, shielded as she is from the effects of the squall by the warding of the ship. Perhaps there may be a way to escape this particular ideological vortex without forcing some sort of resolution on it... if you trust white rabbits.

11. - Top - End - #521

"In Nirmathus, ALL MEN ARE KINGS! Let none rule over you and let all be equal!" Not that he really believed that but hey, he was causing chaos here. That said, the rabbit gets a side eye and he of course stares for a moment- before just shrugging, "I mean, a white Rabbit like that is a good sign in my country lads. I suggest we follow it- glory and gold await at the end of that path." He doesn't add 'usually' at the end because honestly...

He doesn't need to.

That said he is about to order Tanner to follow if not stopped...

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel's head wheeled around as if attracted by a powerful magnetic force. "Whatever local portents may accompany the appearance of such a creature in your homeland, I will remind you most emphatically that we were specifically counseled but a short time ago to, if I recall the instruction correctly, 'do not follow white rabbits'. Captain, I would sooner you set course blindly in any other direction than progress any nearer that creature."

"As for you, little ones... I am sympathetic to your plight, truly, but I must confess to an erosion of my own patience and the beginnings of exasperation. The answer is that no, your choice is not limited between tyranny and anarchy -- but if you treat each tiny difference between yourselves as irreconcilable, then you shall thus condemn yourselves. I have offered all advice at my disposal; if you choose not to act upon it, that is your decision. However, I must inform you that your actions are causing a delay to myself and my companions, and I do not believe that we have done anything to you to justify such a continued impediment to our progress. If you believe in freedom, I would ask each of you, both individually and collectively, to please stand aside that we might have ours. Perhaps this simple, unobjectionable request would serve well as a object lesson in working together."

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

"All men are kings? How would that even work?" one of the sprites wonders.

"Isn't the point of a king that he can boss everyone around?" another retorts.

"Is that even a good thing?" another voice rings out.

"What if we take turns being king?" one of the sprites asks.

"Ooh, I like that idea," another retorts.

"Hmph... you know what, so long as I get my turn I'll go along with that little charade," the King muses, "maybe it will show you how much better we do under my great leadership,"

As the horde congregates the force pulling the ship towards them dissipates. While their ideological disagreement is perhaps not resolved, it is abated to enough of a extent to allow the ship to leave. At Sefariel's direction the Cerulean Gray avoids the white rabbit and proceeds through the mists of the storm.

The storm bellows around the ship, but a counter-wind whips around it, providing smooth sailing until at least a break can be seen in the distance. As the ship finally pulls out of the storm everyone feels a pounding sensation in their heads. After a moment of confused blackness, the party opens their eyes to see the storm quickly disappearing behind the ship and the astral seas upon them. Tanner strides out of the cockpit no worse for wear as she looks at each of you.

"Not a bad job for your first foray into a storm. They don't like letting us mortals pass through so easily. I was shielded so I couldn't see what was going on, and I'd love to hear about what craziness you encountered," she stares off into the disappearing storm for several minutes, keeping lookout for your pursuers, but when nothing appears she smiles, "well, looks like we're away then. We're off to Yulgamot. Take your rest, we should arrive there tomorrow morning. I'll be preparing one of the ship's countermeasures, masking us with an illusion. Hopefully even if your pursuers are watching, we can slip in under their noses,"

Tanner spends the dinner hour explaining Yulgamot. It is the only known permanent settlement of Shulsaga, a type of outsider native to the astral and having an intimate connection to the winds and currents. Yulgamot is itself a nexus of the astral, a place where all currents meet and diverge, and the master navigators can find the quickest route to almost any other plane. Even the distant reaches of the Maelstrom are not beyond their ability. But it's not just the currents and the navigators that make it so useful. Yulgamot splinters the timeless nature of the astral plane. Normally travelers leaving the astral must be wary of all the time they spent there catching up with them in an instant, but Yulgamot resets this as if they had only just entered the astral.

"But there's every possibility that Fairwind figures that's where we're going, which means we gotta keep our heads down. Disguises, low profiles, maybe a few spells from our resident wizard, and we should be in and out of there without a fuss. We should also drop off our... guest below deck," she reminds the party of the imprisoned Hound Archon, "I'll leave it to you to find the best way to do that. The wards below deck aren't exactly made to hold celestials, and I'd hate to see what that cunning pooch could do if he got out,"

The party is left to prepare for the coming day as they see fit.

Spoiler: Sefariel
    Show
    Sefariel finds the ioun stone still circling around his head. It is a bit more fixed now that they have left the storm; it can only be changed once per day, though it still takes only a full round action to change what kind of Ioun stone it is

The great port city of Yulgamot appears on the horizon, and a multitude of ships buzz in and out of the drift docks. Those that leave seem to pick up speed at an unnatural pace before disappearing into the distance. However, what is more foreboding is the small armada of vessels parked just off the docks of Yulgamot. They fly a multitude of banners, and even at a distance it is clear these fleets belong to outsiders of the high heavens. They pass over every ship approaching or leaving Yulgamot, but take no action to disrupt them.

Tanner grimaces as she sees this, "you think these are buddies of our doggie friend below deck?" she asks as she quickly casts a spell to disguise herself, appearing as a sylph woman with similar but different features to her own, "the ship is screened, so it doesn't look like the Cerulean Gray, and if they think to look for illusion auras then they better be packing something more than a simple cantrip because we're warded for that. Still, any of you who can't put on a disguise should get below deck,"

As the disguised Cerulean Gray pulls towards the port, one of the warships moves to pass by. Rows of cannons can be seen, though they do not point the guns towards the gray. A crew of mostly archons can be seen on the deck, taking a very close look at the ship. After what seems like an agonizing eternity they pass by without taking action and the Cerulean Gray passes into the port. Tanner docks the ship, and ducks into the cabin, "I've got a few contacts; no telling who is on the docks right now, but hopefully it should take me less than an hour to find someone. You're welcome to join me if you like, just make sure you get rid of our guest. We're lucky that those celestials didn't clue into who we are, I don't want to risk them taking a second read and sniffing him out,"

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"I have to admit, I don't have any ideas other than beating him into unconsciousness and throwing him onto the docks when we leave. It's not a plan I'm proud of".
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

"That'd be too risky for my tastes. Even if we stuff him in a crate, it's going to look really suspicious if we toss it over the edge just before leaving. And if you haven't noticed, there's a whole detach of archons just looking for an excuse to pounce on anything suspicious. If we're getting outta here, it's by sailing under their unsuspecting noses. And we're probably going to be put into a queue for about a minute after leaving port so it's not like we're just going to buzz out of here the instant we cut the ropes," she sighs then continues, "look, this ain't complicated. I've got manacles, I've got old storage crates. Stow him, gag him, and put him somewhere that no one is going to find him for a few hours. Even if you lot want to look into a different travel arrangement, I'd be thankful if you don't leave me holding that mess,"

"Heck, see if you could get a navigator to do a solo jump. They're so good that you can get them to literally throw a crate over the edge of the cliff and it'll wash up on whatever plane you want them to. Wouldn't recommend it for a trip to Basrakal - flying through the astral without the protection of a ship is one thing, but the Maelstrom is a whole other story - but it might be a way to get rid of this guy if you can do it on the low-down,"

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

No. He may be against us but he is still an Arch'n. He deserves proper respect, not an unceremonious dumpin'. I see no reason to do anything 'sides leaving him in Yulgamot; he is not aligned with that Heavenly armada. He is... Isure, but he ain't on a mission from Heaven. I don't believe he could route their forces against us on his word alone. I say we, bind 'em, gag 'em and stuff him in some alley and high tail it before he can break free.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, the plane I had in mind was heaven," Tanner smirks at Atticus, "but stuffing him in an alley and letting him get out in his own good time sounds fine to me,"

She pauses, as if considering not adding more, but then sighs and speaks, "and yeah, our friend below deck couldn't move this many ships on his behalf... but he's probably got a master. Let's just keep our noses clean and try not to find out whether they're looking for you lot or not,"

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel took note of the admonition towards disguises, and he was quite accustomed to the use of the same for the purposes of subterfuge and general deception. He gave the tip of his hat a waggle and transformed into a rather handsome-looking janni with a simple vest and headband covering its broad form; that would arouse little suspicion. The ioun stone circling his head might, but it wasn't as though he'd had that for any length of time. Pondering the various possibilities, he finally nodded in satisfaction.

"I believe the captain has the right of it. Sending the gentleman off to another plane would be the most effective manner of removing him from our presence without particular cruelty, and heaven itself would be an appropriate, er, waystation. Simply dumping him in an alley, as you put it, is unlikely to provide sufficient disposition."

"There is the possibility, should we require assistance, that I might summon an aide to keep watch over our prisoner in a secure location until such time as we are able to arrange for proper transport and procure the services of an effective navigator. Such an open-ended task may unfortunately prove rather expensive, and I am rather limited in disposable income at the moment."

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"Well. I am a forthright man. I have never had much taste for subterfuge before, and as such, not much skill in such matters".
    Semper ludens.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"I assume no-one will pay particular attention to a merchant, and his guard hauling a heavy crate. I'll be the guard, then. I'll go see about getting our friend into said crate. "

OOC: Girend should still be unconscious, and as such, crating him should be doable. I'll return his book and holy symbol, and his gold ring (with the trap defused). Carrying 240 pounds of crated archon puts Aron into medium encumbrance.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-04-27 at 02:04 AM.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Aron descends into the hold of the ship. Despite his presumption that the Hound Archon would still be unconscious he finds the archon propped up and nearly motionless. The hound's empty eyes turn to meet the approaching man, allowing his blind leer to sink deeply before speaking, "I was visited by restless dreams as of late. I heard a disturbing echo, a blood-curdled scream cut short, and as the ensuring silence permeated me I was struck by a subtle but foul stench that hung over the whole affair. It... vexes me greatly," Girend shuffles slightly, still clearly pained by his injuries from the previous battle, "you do not strike me as an executioner. What is your intention, Aron?"

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"We passed through some storms, Girend. Very peculiar ones. Full of universal ethical forces made manifest, and confronting us.

Aron pauses for a moment to ponder. Then he goes on, the words tumbling out of him. "We were confronted by a strongly chaotic bauble-peddler, arguing for the total subjectivity of value, and his counterpart. And an enormous king, beset by droves of his tiny subject, squabbling to depose him for his alleged tyranny. Although to be fair, he was a tyrant; but tyranny beats mob rule any day. And I am sad to say, most of my companions seem to judge reflexively on childish impulses. Automatically siding with whoever seems smaller and weaker, with no regard for duty or benevolent shepherding".

He pauses for a moment to collect himself. "And before that, we fought a hell-ship. Something was very wrong with that one. We are still poring through the salvage, trying to find out what Fairwind was messing with. But, to answer your question. I came here to load your unconscious body in a crate, to get you off this ship and back with your own kind. Executing you was never an option. I'll return your ring, your book and your symbol, but we are keeping your tools as spoils of war".
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-04-28 at 01:15 PM.
    Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Girend listens to Aron's description of the storm, almost bemused, but when he speaks of the hell ship Girend's demeanor shifts quizzically. He seems as if he is about to say something, then thinks better of it and falls silent. He nods when Aron responds about returning his more sentimental possessions, "were it not for unfortunate happenstance you and I would have no reason to quarrel. I won't waste my breath trying to convince you to surrender yourself; we're long past that junction. But be warned, the path you take now buys you a few days or maybe weeks to live... but in that time you could bring untold suffering to others," Girend falls silent and awaits whatever means Aron has in mind to knock him unconscious.

In the helm of the ship, Tanner opens a hidden safe box and withdraws a few pouches of coins. She closes it and turns to the others, "I'm going to be heading out now. It shouldn't take long, but if the navigators are busy we could be waiting an hour or so. If anyone would like to join me, feel free. For the rest of you, just make sure our hold is empty when I get back," she slings a colorful cloak over her shoulders. Still disguised as a sylph she confidently strides off the ship.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

Aron
    Aron comes back on deck, carrying a large crate. "One merchant's guard, ready to carry this crate through the city. I would salute, but..." - he tilts his head to indicate the crate.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

"You look very much the part, Aron. I do believe that a salute of any sort would be inappropriate, however, as you are not to all appearances attired as a member of any military organization. I believe most merchants would adopt a far more informal exchange of greeting. Nonetheless, I wish to express the utmost admiration for your abilities. Did the gentleman present any difficulties?"

The wizard nodded in reply to Tanner. "I do believe I would, in fact, wish to join you, Captain Tanner. You are, I am sure, much more familiar with these sorts of encounters than I. I would suggest that it would be optimal if one or two others of you join us as well, and the others, perhaps, could accompany Aron and find a proper place to temporarily dispose of our, er, crate? Leaving individually could present a hazard should any of Lord Fairwind's employees reveal themselves, or any of our other misguided pursuers for that matter."

After a brief moment's preparation, he endeavored to accompany the tiefling on the quest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Before heading out I'll cast Investigative Mind, because why not, it's 10 min/level, should be about right.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus grunts before sidling up besides Aron. Ya shouldn't go alone; I'll help ya.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Aron
    "And this is the sack of loot we should sell to finance our navigation and whatever else we need money for. Mais, I left a potion of invisibility on the table for you."
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

"Do we pay for a Resurrection for Viri? We should be able to afford that as well as the next leg of the journey. I vote yes".
    Semper ludens.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

"I believe that would be an appropriate act, and a proper act of kindness..."

Sefariel raised an eyebrow at Roderick. "...given the necessary assumption that she is willing and desirous of this, of course?"
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2021-05-11 at 10:33 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540

Roderick's dreams had been plagued with visions of another world entirely. It seems that he might be connected to some other happenings in another when or where. But he'd come to this morning tired, sluggish, and generally not reacting all that well to anything. He'd eaten slowly, dressed slowly, and even shaved slowly. However at Sefariel's question he rouses some a bit more before grumbling to himself, "Sorry, sorry, just... I haven't been sleeping well at all."

He pauses a moment to ask Viri for an answer, ["I mean, if you want to be ressurected we can. They're ameniable to it if you are. Or you can keep going with us on an adventure. Up to you."]

That said, he stifled another deep, throaty, yawn. His chest turning barrel and his body arching back as he then groans in pleased execution of this enormous yawn, "... Sorry."