New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

Then I think we can help each o'her, Ms. Tanner. The good ol' country boy sat down and leaned forward in a conspiratorial whisper. Fairwind can send this... individual after ya, if you flap yer gums ya? Now tell me; are ya missing anything of yers? Something personal, small? Cause by my reckoning, Fairwind's dirt on ya is a bit more literal than what you got on 'im. Atticus motioned between the tiefling and their group. Here' our proposal; we grab this thing for ya. Regardless of what it is, Fairwind thinks he needs it to leverage ya. Without it, he may be a bit less willin' to stand up against ya in a court o' law. You go stake yer rightful claim of the skiff.... and in return, you take us where we wanna go. Baskral. Honestly, it sounds like a good place for ya to hole up fer a while, if ya ask me.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Tanner doesn't speak, and she has a strange look upon her face as she takes in everything Atticus says, "why would he need... anything? This ain't hard, he doesn't have to prove anything in any court. He just calls it in and it's done. Maybe says it publicly just to humiliate me. The only thing of mine he'd even have half a mind to keep all these years is..." Tanner bites her lip, "there's an old locket. Platinum with silver and mithral in concentric inlays. It's got a few magical wards on it, never belonged to me properly, but it was mine. Would have thought he'd returned it to its proper owners years ago after Aster pretty much shut down that operation and took everyone with him. Dunno what use he'd have, or how he could use it against me,"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

"Could you draw the locket for us? Even a simple picture can make identification much easier." Rhenner sighs, "I'm not the first to be in favour of breaking and entering, but", he shrugs, "I really don't like this Fairwind. And stealing a locket seems a better option than stealing a planar vehicle." He looks to Sefariel, "You didn't happen to hear any other details about the hold he thinks he has on Tanner when you were listening?"
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-10-08 at 04:33 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel glanced at Rhenner, letting the words coalesce in his memory as he did so. It didn't take but a moment.

"Apart from the issues with the planetar Aster, which we've already covered -- Fairwind believes Aster to be quite indisposed at the moment, though the two are quite at odds, and were there any way to contact that individual, I'm sure this would all be resolved in an instant, and not to Fairwind's liking. That efreet has done quite a bit of work in that aspect of the operation."

"What he said was, and forgive me Captain Tanner if I open any old wounds, that the Zafritar girl -- not your name though, is it? An organization, perhaps? A location? -- at any rate, what he said was
    'so long as I have this, I can bring the nightmares of the past back to haunt her'. That, and a clink of metal, which could well be the locket of which we speak."

"My dear, whatever the importance of this is to you, the important thing is that Fairwind believes it to be vital. It's for you to figure out why. From his perspective... without that locket, he has no hold on you. We would, you might say, hold all the cards."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's been a long time since I've seen it," Tanner shrugs when Rhenner asks for a description of the locket, "can't imagine there are too many lockets like it; silver, platinum, and mithral all together isn't exactly a common choice of materials, y'know,"

Tanner twitches slightly when Sefariel mentions the name Zafritar again, but allows him to continue before she speaks, "well, Fairwind's hand ain't exactly great, either. He's only really got one big thing over me - and his characterization is pretty accurate I'd say - but once he opens that box it's spent and he's got nothing. In an ideal world I'd grab my skiff and just be gone, but if there's something tying his hands, or something's changed..." Tanner snaps her fingers, "well, no sense dithering. If we're going to take this fight to the courtroom floor, I've gotta get my own ammunition in order... and just gotta hope you're right that he can't touch me without that locket,"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

We'll meet ya outside the courthouse after ta trial; make a ruckus if ya need... help. He turned towards the rest of their little gang. So any volunteers?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

"Well, Fairwind did say we could take a look at the skiff," Zaraweti adds. "What's to stop us from sneaking the Captain along and just taking off? I mean, he said it wasn't ready, but do we really need that arcane core, or whatever it was?"

8. - Top - End - #98

Griffon

"I don't know, but I would prefer not to piss off the local authorities if we can help it. The gods know we have enough enemies as is. But if we fail to get the locket, that can be our secondary plan." Rhenner shurgs. "However the best I can say of my own stealthing skills is that I'm not particularly loud. And I doubt that will be enough. Although I can teleport myself and a few others a limited distance, which could potentially be helpful. Though I can only do it once."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aye, the first hearing is tomorrow afternoon. You folks do your part, and don't leave me hanging, okay?" Tanner says.

"And frankly, if you think you can get my skiff free and we can just book it outta town... I ain't opposed. Fairwind will have a vendetta against me no matter how this goes down, and I ain't planning on returning to Ankoro again," she shrugs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Decide among yourselves what the plan is from here. We can step forward to tomorrow morning if you like, or you can attempt to commit burglary of Fairwind manor overnight. I know Sasha has an appointment with a certain library tomorrow, but if anyone else has any activities they have in mind you can lay those out.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

With a few final pleasantries, the group says their farewell to Tanner and returns in the direction of Fairwind manor. The "nightfall" of Ankoro has arrived, as the astral plane spins overhead. A light in the sky, a portal to the plane of positive energy, dips below the horizon and casts this planar haven into an eerie twilight. Shadows dance nearby lamp posts, while the shadowless alleyways are lit by the uncanny ambient lighting of the astral plane.

As the party approaches Fairwind manor, they can see Ryel Fairwind himself relaxing on a third story balcony. He stands, casts a gaze across his city, then turns about and enters his home. The doors slam shut behind him, and shades are swiftly drawn. Observing his estate grounds from a safe distance, you notice one of servant doors open, then moments later shut again. Slowly things begin to rearrange around the estate; water fountains turn off, the walkway seems to sweep itself, and the iron gates at the front of the estate close under some unseen force. A lock materializes out of nowhere and clicks shut around the gate. A still quiet falls upon the estate, separated as it is from the rest of the city by the 6 foot iron fence.

A pair of Peacekeepers saunter past the estate gates, chatting with each other idly as they go. The pair make a wide patrol around the block before circling back around the gate again. They don't look particularly attentive, and a quick approach of the estate could be timed to be out of their sight, but any commotion would surely see the arrival of the peaceguard in short order.

11. - Top - End - #101

Griffon

"Alright, suggestions on how we should go about this? Or will we just pray for the gods to grant as a miracle? As I said, I have no experience in this sort of escapades, but I have that short teleportation spell and another which might allow me to locate the locket, assuming it's not warded or anything."

Show
    Speaking of Dimension Door and Locate Object.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus rummaged in his pack for a moment before pulling out a short, plain looking wooden rod with a small smear of red paste over one end. He waved it dramatically, coughing out a variety of arcane sounding gibberish. Despite the ludicrous display of stage magic and not even close to proper training in magical arts, the wands red tip glowed and the country boys features shifted dramatically; his tan skin darkens, as his features took on more appropriate scope for his new complexion. His hair shortened and turned jet black and he grew about an inch or two. Similarly, his clothing changed as well, to simple linen garb of a servant.

He handed off the wand to the wizard the compatriots. Use this here; naw use being identified right 'way if we get caught. He adjusted his illusory clothing, satisfied the magic hid his true form from casual observation. Some one make a big bang 'bout, some one 'lse 'port us onta tha balcony once Lord Fairwind comes to see tha commotion. Find tha Locket, bugger out. Simple.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaraweti begins screaming threats on the street, her voice carrying several blocks in the quiet hours. A few curious onlookers peer out their windows, but there is no sign of activity from Fairwind's estate. As the peaceguard rounds the corner and comes running, Zaraweti slinks away into the shadows. With the guard distracted, Rhenner casts his spell. Atticus and Sefariel are lifted with him, their senses disoriented for a split second as they are pulled through the dimensional rift and reappear on the balcony. The tinted glass doors in front of them reveal a dark and empty hallway inside, and an elaborate and fanciful lock on the door holds it fast.

Spoiler: Atticus only
    Show

You spot the telltale signs of a permanent alarm spell tied to the door. Taking a moment to study it, you conclude that this spell is connected to a larger network of alarm spells on the building - likely one on every entrance. There must be a switch inside that arms and disarms them. With the appropriate skills, this trap could be disarmed, dispelled, or suppressed.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

The temporary feeling of disorientation was one Sefariel had experienced a hundred times before; it caused him no great concern. The door before him, on the other hand...

He murmured a few arcane words, scanning the wall and door before focusing in...

Show
    Casting detect magic, and focusing forward to pick up any auras in that direction. I’ll take time to focus on at least the first couple auras to identify them. If I can take 10 on knowledge arcana or spellcraft if needed for this I will (= 26 for each). If not, roll away for me.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sefariel
    Show

You see an aura of abjuration on the door. Taking a moment to study it, you conclude that this spell is connected to a larger network of alarm spells on the building - likely one on every entrance. There must be a switch inside that arms and disarms them. With the appropriate skills, this trap could be disarmed, dispelled, or suppressed.

16. - Top - End - #106

Griffon

The odd feeling that comes from suddenly moving from one place to another doesn't bother Rhenner that much anymore; he's done it many times by now, especially lately since he's been hunted by powerful outsiders and the only option available to him was to make himself scarce as quick as possible.

"An alarm? I guess that is to be expected, let me see if it's removable..", Rhenner says and begins casting a spell that would remove others.

Show
    I assume Sefariel shares what he found, since it was discussed in Discord.

Casting Dispel Magic on the door.
    Caster level check: (1d20+7)[19]
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-10-24 at 10:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a visible but subdued flash of magical energy as the abjuration runes on the door become plainly visible then dissipate. Those of you who check with Detect Magic note that the aura of abjuration is gone; the alarm trap has been dispelled. Of course, there's still the matter of the conventional lock on the door.

18. - Top - End - #108

Griffon

"Alright, alarm's gone. Now does anyone know a quiet way to open a lock, or shall we go for the old fashioned breaking and entering?" Whatever his companions suggest, Rhenner says a quick prayer to Fharlanghn, casting a third spell of the evening, this time on himself.

Show
    Casting Longstrider to increase his movement speed by 10 ft. for a total of 50 ft. Lasts for 7 hours.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

”From the inside, typically” replied Secariel, with the closest thing to an impish grin he would ever be likely to sport.

At a word he vanished from out side the door and appeared on the inside, giving the latch a turn.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

With a simple use of his shift ability, Sefariel steps through the door and appears on the other side. The latch twists without resistance and the door opens quietly, allowing the entire group inside. Although the lighting of the mansion is subdued for these late hours, it's clear that you're on the upper floor overlooking the entryway you visited earlier today. Fairwind's study is just across the hallway, visible from this location. However, you do hear some motion downstairs. There is someone out and about, perhaps roused by the commotion Zaraweti is making outside.

With the peaceguard in pursuit, Zaraweti is forced to move away from the estate. She's outrunning them, but there's no telling if another group of peaceguard will appear and block off her route.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Zaraweti darts into an alley, the peaceguard not far behind her. She tries to clamber up the side of the building, hoping she can get on top of the roof before they can catch up and see what she's doing.

Spoiler: OOC: Climb Check
    Show

(1d20+10)[21]

22. - Top - End - #112

Griffon

"Yes, that will do it", Rhenner comments after Sefariel opens the door. "Right. Let's see if that locket is indeed the one Tanner knows." Touching his holy symbol, he says a prayer to his deity, adding a few words more than what the spell would actually require.

Show
    Casting Locate Object, trying to find a locket that matches the description Tanner gave. Range 680 ft. Lasts 7 minutes if there's a match.
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-10-25 at 07:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Silent and stealthy like a good thief, Diamond followed the group. Even though she wanted to be more than a thief now,old habits were hard to break. But break them she must. How was she going to make bonds with others if she stayed in the background all the time?

A bemused smile crossed her face as they completely bypassed the lock with a teleportation spell. "Magic. Never had a knack for it myself, but that saves some time. Did you say you had a trick for finding the thing too?" she whispered.
    Last edited by Estralita; 2019-10-25 at 03:17 PM.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

As Rhenner's spell completes he feels a soft but palpable tug towards Fairwind's study. He steps inside the building after casting, his voice having fortunately not carried into the house.

Show

Do keep in mind that verbal spell components are audible, and you can't whisper them. You don't have to shout them, either, so any appropriate precaution against being heard (such as casting the spell before walking inside) will be sufficient.

25. - Top - End - #115

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    Silent and stealthy like a good thief, Diamond followed the group. Even though she wanted to be more than a thief now,old habits were hard to break. But break them she must. How was she going to make bonds with others if she stayed in the background all the time?

A bemused smile crossed her face as they completely bypassed the lock with a teleportation spell. "Magic. Never had a knack for it myself, but that saves some time. Did you say you had a trick for finding the thing too?" she whispered.
    "Yes, my spell anchored on something", Rhenner replies in a low voice. Now that they were inside, he would need to remember to be more silent. It wasn't something he usually had to worry about, so he hoped he would remember. "That way, towards the study. Are you good at moving quietly and unseen?"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

As the others teleport onto the balcony, Aron concentrates on a spell, and becomes translucent and wispy. He flies to the balcony, and hovers silently into the room with the others.
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    "Yes, my spell anchored on something", Rhenner replies in a low voice. Now that they were inside, he would need to remember to be more silent. It wasn't something he usually had to worry about, so he hoped he would remember. "That way, towards the study. Are you good at moving quietly and unseen?"
    In other situations, Diamond might have laughed. Here, she merely raised an eyebrow and smirked. "It's what I do. One of the things, anyway."
    Last edited by Estralita; 2019-10-26 at 04:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Estralita View Post
    In other situations, Diamond might have laughed. Here, she merely raised an eyebrow and smirked. "It's what I do. One of the things, anyway."
    "Excellent, care to lead the way?" The medic gestures towards the direction the spell is pointing in. "I'll follow you at a small distance, since I have the Location spell. Warn me if you see someone."
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-10-27 at 07:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel said nothing, merely gesturing with one hand as if to indicate that the others should go first.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Right. No more needed to be said. Diamond slowly headed in the direction indicated, looking out for danger and their prize.

Show
    Stealth: (d20+26)[41]
    Perception (d20+10)[11]