New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

Rhenner stays near the fight in case any of his comrades get badly hurt, but for the moment they seemed to be bruised but fine. After quickly going through in his mind what magic he had asked from his god today the cleric lifts up his holy symbol, pointing it at one of the attackers. "Stay your hand, don't strike a fellow traveller!", he commands.

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Casting Forbid Action on one of the stalkers with Attack as the action to be avoided.

Will save DC 15 to resist the effect.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel maneuvered to place himself behind Atticus; the second invisible creature may have given him pause, but the words of magic may have helped assuage any fears. "Fly away if you need to" the aasimar muttered. "It will give you a few minutes."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move to be behind Atticus (if necessary to avoid getting AOOed or otherwise in position to get squished, I can use the d-door ability as a swift action to aid this), and cast Fly on him.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

From her sideways glances towards the Fairwind estate, the battle seems less than dire. Figuring she should continue the diversion, Zaraweti stomps further into the city before taking another swing at the architecture.

Show

Moving away from the estate and then making another power attack on the roofing. Or a glass window, if one is available.

Attack: (1d20+12)[24]
    Damage: (1d10+17)[26]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, this really wasn't Diamond's style of fight. but at least these things seemed killable. Diamond gave another go at making that happen. If the things attacked her again, she could retreat.

Spoiler: Not Sneak Attack!
    Show
    (d20+11)[17] Damage: (d4+8)[12]

(d20+11)[21] Damage: (d4+8)[10]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

The stalker wedged between Diamond and Aron is skewered by their attackers. It moves to retaliate, but its motions halt suddenly, constrained by magic. Its form recoils as it glides away from the combatants to safety. Meanwhile, the stalker next to Atticus flails against him, but the attacks are deftly dodged.

In the distance, the two peaceguards recoil as debris from the building collapses to the street below, they back off slightly and shout for reinforcements. Zaraweti can see the battle at the Fairwind estate will be over momentarily.

Show

Both of Estralita's attacks hit, thanks to flanking with Aron and the buff from Atticus. That stalker has withdrawn. The stalker engaged with Atticus whiffed his attacks. Let's mop things up.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Aron moves up to flank with help Atticus finish off the elemental.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Attacking the one near Atticus, flanking not included: (1d20+15)[17], damage (1d10+11)[13]+(2d6)[8]. EDIT: with flanking and a +1 from Atticus, it's a hit

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2019-11-21 at 02:05 PM.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #157

Griffon

Seeing they only have one enemy left before they can start fully focusing on getting the hell out of here, Rhenner draws his mace and steps in to join the fight, though more as an added distraction than an actual attacker.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Aid Another to give Atticus +2 to hit. Best Rhenner can do at the moment.
    Attack (1d20+10)[23] (plus buffs) VS AC 10 to succeed. (So as long as its not a nat 1.)
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-11-22 at 03:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus allowed himself a brief sigh of relief as one of the stalker's broke off from the fighting. Until he realized that it likely was escaping to report on the encounter. With a mental urging, the magic Sefarial imparted on him kicked him into the air in swift pursuit of the fleeing combatant. He brought the butt of his musket forward, like a battering ram, aiming towards the the sparkling outline of the elemental creature. With a thought, the earthen aura surrounding him changed again to a cool, misty shroud.

Spoiler
    Show
    Turn Start
    Animus : 5
    Granted Maneuvers: Energy Hammer, Arcane Shield,
    Ungranted Maneuvers:
    1) Elemental Strike
    2) Flickering Defense
    3) Assay Resistance
    FA change active element to Water (Cold). Lose DR 5/Adamantine and gain +2 to saving throws. Note this occurs after any potentially triggered AoOs.
    Charge the fleeing Stalker (Use Arcane Shield against any AoO taken)
    (1d20+16)[17] vs. AC
    (1d10+3)[11] + (8d6)[32] Cold damage and a DC 19 Fort save or be nauseated for (1d4)[1] rounds. Success negates Nauseate.
    Animus Expenditure/Accrual:
    +1 Animus for Maneuver used
    +1 free each round
    -2 for Enhanced Maneuver (+4 to-hit)
    Net Change: 0
    Net Animus: 5
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Aron viciously strikes into the Stalker's body as Atticus' attack shoots wide, narrowly missing his own ally. The Stalker reels slightly, seeing countless enemies surrounding it, then makes a hasty retreat. It withdraws to the roof of the manor, trying to get as much distance as possible.

Show

Combat is over, there is now nothing stopping you from escaping the estate at your leisure.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

"I trust you all can find your separate ways back to our lodging?" Sefariel whispered to the group from invisibility.

If there were no immediate objections, he began the magic that would transform him into something different... something that would let him fly a good distance away from here, without drawing any attention whatsoever.

Show
    I'll beast shape 2 into a... oh, what's an indigenous small bird for the area? Something like a pigeon, but less humiliating.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Aron wipes stalker effluvient off his blade, and flies away from the house. Half a minute later, he lands in the street. He strides purposefully towards the lodgings, making no attempt to blend into the shadows.
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Cursing in a tongue of a far off planet on the Prime, Atticus whirled around in the air and made a hasty retreat from the grounds stopping only long enough to give a helping hand to those who couldn't surmount the fence on their own. Dutifully, he used the magical flight to zoom away from the building at street level in a random direction not taken by his cohorts before working his way back to their inn.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

The party makes its getaway, and none too soon as they skirt around groups of peaceguards setting up patrols to look for trouble-makers. The back alleyways of the city seem quiet, and amidst the twilight of the false night that Ankoro experiences shadows seem to dance. Suddenly, Sefariel's familiar Sophia bristles and shouts a warning. An overpowering aura of evil is lurking in the shadows around them. There is a moment of silence, as eyes dart and nerves are steeled, but nothing happens. Sophia falls silent and still.

Spoiler: Sefarial and Atticus
    Show

You hear the faint scuffling of footsteps, retreating off through the alleyways. Disturbingly they are heading roughly in the same direction you are.

Spoiler: Diamond
    Show

You hear the faint scuffling of footsteps, but they seem directionless and just disappear without a trace a few moments later.

Spoiler: Sefariel
    Show

You can sense through your empathic link that Sophia is confused. A moment ago she was absolutely certain she saw an overpowering aura of evil, but now it feels unreal, as if it was simply a nightmare dreamed up by her vivid imagination.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-11-27 at 12:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus' flight slowed as he heard the footsteps. His movement turned to a near crawl as he trained his ears towards the footsteps, drawing his musket in the process. If he was going to be ambushed, at least he'd be prepared. Expirementing, Atticus veered off from his course, heading perpendicular to his destination for a few blocks. If the footsteps followed, then he was in for another fight.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Atticus whips around the corner, leaving his compatriots behind him. His own footsteps echo and gloomy silhouettes dance as he sprints through this maze of packed tenements. The world spins around him, Atticus feels dizzy, and then suddenly clarity once more. He finds his feet have stopped moving, sweat coalescing on his brow, and his eyes staring down the barrel of his musket down an empty alleyway.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus kept the rifle trained in the point in space for a few seconds, heart beating rapidly. He exhaled as the barrel lowered, not realizing he had been holding his breath. With a white knuckle grip, Atticus continued on towards the inn at a slow pace, keeping his allies in easy shouting distance. His eyes darted to every darkened corner and every errant sound, his paranoia that his life has been for the last few months ramping to critical levels.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Aron looks over at Atticus. His eyes glow for a moment.

Spoiler: Atticus
    Show
    Atticus hears a whisper. "This is Aron. What's happening? You can whisper back to me".

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    I cast Message.
    Semper ludens.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

I... I don't know. I thought I heard something. And then this weird vertigo and I was looking down the barrel, ready to fire at nothing.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Diamond had just begun to hope that they were in the clear, but of course it wouldn't be that simple. Well, it might still be the case, since she couldn't be certain that there was a problem, but Diamond wasn't optimistic.

"Anyone think we might have company?" she whispered.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel, by now back in human form (though disguised thanks to the hat of the same name) nodded somberly. "We most certainly do. A mnemor devil, unless I am mistaken, the ally of the imp we dealt with earlier if his own thoughts can be trusted. Went down the alleyway, there, I believe, though one can never be certain of such things."

"Sophia, dear, this might be a time for a proper protection from evil, if you might." Moments later, the whirling constellation emerged from his chest, before contacting him on the head with a flash of pale white light.

Show
    Don't really know if protection from evil applies to whatever this thing might do, but I'll assume it might!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Vacating the scene, but wary of a malicious fiend that could be stalking them, the party returns to an inn where they could lay low. The night passes without the Peaceguard coming to round them up in their sleep, and the following morning they find a figure waiting for them in the inn's public room. Tanner appears to have sought them out, precariously reclining a chair upon two legs. She snaps to attention the moment she sees the first of them.

"Oi, friends, been looking for you! You heard about the commotion last night? There's a bunch of hooligans about who have Fairwind all in a snit. I sure wouldn't want to be those guys, and if I were then I'd be looking to high-tail it out of Ankoro at the first opportunity," she grins wildly, "course, I think we're all good, right?" she holds out her hand expectantly.

Upon receiving the locket she pops it open, examining its content. She snaps it shut and pockets it shortly afterward, "well, I dunno why Fairwind thinks he needs it, but I'm going to call his bluff. I have no idea how this is going to go down at the courthouse. I'm going to basically say Fairwind is full of lemure trailings and ask for the case to be dismissed for being 'untimely', but Fairwind might still try slinging dirt at me. We'll see. Should be fun, provided he doesn't decide to go for mutually assured destruction,"

Tanner moves to cast a spell on the locket before pocketing it, but it quickly becomes apparent even to those in the group who are not learned in the art of spellcraft what the spell was. Her voice rings out in their mind, "you guys need to watch your back. This mean-looking Hound Archon paid me a visit last night and asked a bunch of pertinent questions about you lot. Dunno what you've done to have both devils and archons out to getcha, but it seems to me that Fairwind may be the least of your worries,"

Without losing a beat, Tanner speaks, "so, I dunno if you wanna watch the court case unfold, or if you just wanna meet up after?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Aron pauses for a moment.

"This is a dangerous city. I am not happy about going anywhere without my tools". He leans his polearm against the wall before sitting down.
    Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I was indasposed last night. I don't see no danger in attendin'. He turned to the others. Be ready ta move; I'll keep with Tanner. Make sure she has a safe trip ta the impound to reclaim her propertah.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do see the advantages to both methods; I believe I would rather enjoy seeing the lord properly taken down a few notches, however. I'd rather like to accompany you to court."

"Oh, dear, I've nearly forgot -- the locket, for just a moment, if you please?" he asked Tanner, before removing a rod from his overcoat and holding it to the locket while casting a spell. "That should render it undiscoverable by magical means for the duration of the day. No sense in not preserving the advantage of it, whatever that may be."

"And yes, Captain: we have, for our own individual reasons, seemed to attract the attention of most varieties of extraplanar beings. Which is the reason for our need for transportation, as it happens; I believe there may be a measure of protection there, as well as a possibility to discover the nature of the offense we may have committed."

Show
    Casting nondetection (the extended, thus 14 hour, variety), because it amuses me to do so.

25. - Top - End - #175

Griffon

Rhenner considers the matter of following Tanner to the courthouse a long time before speaking up. "If you think I could help in some way I can join you, but to be honest I doubt I'd be of much help over there. And I can't say I have fond memories of justice systems." A wan smile passes the clerics lips. "That reminds me, I haven't prayed today, best I to it."

Show
    Need to update my spell list!

Sorry for being so silent, my thesis eats up my time. Just a little more...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

"I will come with you to the courthouse. And if I'm turned away by the guards, I'll stay outside. Just in case."
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

"Coins are on the table, cards are down, time to find out who was bluffing," Tanner tilts her head towards the door. She rises to her feet and stuffs the locket into her coat. The courthouse sits upon the main thoroughfare overlooking the planar harbor. Despite the troubles of last evening business is conducted as usual here and the streets thrum with travelers and merchants.

Spoiler: Atticus and Zaraweti
    Show

You spot a bit of commotion about 200 feet away from you. There seems to be a crowd of people that have circled around something. Suddenly one of the onlookers is thrown aside and a particularly menacing Hound Archon emerges from the crowd. He appears to be blind with both eyes bearing deep scars, and he holds a massive sword - far too big for a creature of his size - as if it were a walking stick. Smouldering fumes emanate from the ground every time it taps down.

Spoiler: Aron
    Show

You spot a bit of commotion about 200 feet away from you. There seems to be a crowd of people that have circled around something. Suddenly one of the onlookers is thrown aside and a particularly menacing Hound Archon emerges from the crowd. You vividly recall his visage, and his uncanny skill as a hunter. You narrowly escaped with your life the last time you encountered this hunting hound. Though he appears to be blind in both eyes from deep scars, the hound's vision pierces the soul. He openly brandishes his oversized weapon as a walking stick, smouldering fumes emanating from the ground every time it taps down. You know that the moment battle begins the blade will erupt in holy fire.

As you arrive at the courthouse, you see Lt Ghomm waiting outside. She nods to Tanner as she approaches, "I've passed on your message to the court clerks that you'll be raising a defense, so this will be more than a default hearing. Lord himself abstaining from appearing due to an emergency matter. It seems your luck never runs out, though if I were you I wouldn't return to Ankoro," she glances at the rest of you as she says this last part before turning back to Tanner.

"Yup, yup, these here are my 'counsel' and will be joining me in the court," she grins.

"As you wish," Ghomm smirks as she leads you inside. You travel up a staircase and down a hallway to courtroom #6. There are only a handful of people here as of yet. A peaceguard idles by the door while a team of three are going through papers. A well-dressed Oread looks up and gives a welcoming hand gesture.

"The lady herself appears. I am Magnus Ferris Peridot, counsel acting on behalf of Lord Ryel Fairwind," he outstretches a hand, "I only just heard that this will be more than a default judgement. I was told you're the kind to surprise people,"

"Aye, and I'll surprise you again by adding to yer loss record," Tanner winks as she grasps his hand.

"As charming as I've been told," Peridot remarks.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-12-09 at 02:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Aron's eyes briefly glow as he sees the guard, and once more when the door is opened to reveal the court officials, and he gives them an appraising glance. Then he takes position at the door besides the Peaceguard. He gives him a friendly nod, but doesn't initiate conversation. Nothing about him suggests that he is anything but a simple armed guard.

Spoiler: Aura sight
    Show
    Aron checks the guards and officials for unusually strong alignment auras, to see if they might be disguised Outsiders (or very high level).

Aura sight (Su): The effect is similar to that of a detect chaos/evil/good/law spell, but aura sight does not require concentration, and it discerns an aura’s location and power more quickly. You know the location and power of all chaotic, evil, good, and lawful auras within your sight. An aura’s power depends on a creature’s Hit Dice or an item’s caster level, as noted in the description of the detect evil spell. You can identify aligned items and spells with a Knowledge Religion check (+9), DC 15+spell level or 15 +½*CL.

Semper ludens.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Aron spies an assortment of faint auras - what he'd expect to see from mortals or native outsiders of various alignments - with his aura sight. Notably he sees a faint aura of good around Lt Ghomm, faint auras of chaos and good around Tanner, and a faint aura of law around Peridot. He also occasionally catches a glimpse moderate aura of evil, but the moment he turns his head to fixate on it the aura disappears from sight. There are a handful of other outsiders coming and going; a group of Axiomites exit a courtroom and shine with strong auras of law, and the group passes an Agathion with the expected aura of good. Still, that moderate aura of evil with no apparent source keeps popping up in Aron's peripheral vision.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel eyed the commotion with concern, before drawing his attention back to Tanner and the oread, extending a friendly handshake to the latter. "Counsel may be overstating the relationship, madam. Moral support may prove closer to the correct phrasing. Nevertheless, I look forward to the experience. Best of fortune to you. Could you point the way to the courtroom so that we might be seated? I would appreciate a few moments to acclimate myself to the setting."