New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Odyssey [IC]

Atticus tensed as he spied the Hound Archon in the distance. Discreetly, he relayed what he could about their pursuer to the others. Lets be quick about this; I'd rather not start a fight in a courthouse.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

"All the more reason to get inside now" Sefariel nodded. "It should be much safer than the outside, all things considered."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

The group ducks inside the courthouse while trying to avoid unnecessary attention. The room feels quiet and empty with only a pair of sylphs in attendance, sitting near the back row (Aron sees no auras upon them, although that aura of law and evil still seems to dance in his peripheral vision). At last, a very short Janni floats into the room carrying a large stack of papers and a gavel. Rather than take a seat, he merely levitates in front of a lectern and clears his throat.

"Good morning, Mister Peridot. And to you, Ms. Tanner," he settles into a comfortable cross-legged position then chuckles, "I must profess I was surprised to receive last-minute submissions from both parties this morning. Let's get Ms. Tanner's motion to dismiss out of the way first, shall we?"

Peridot stands, "your honor, due to the length of time that has passed since the offense and the Peaceguard's negligent loss of the paperwork, we will be relying on the irreproachable character of Lord Fairwind, as well as witness testimony of his dealings with the Planetar Aster, to back our claims. Lack of physical documentation should not automatically be cause for dismissal when there is a preponderance of evidence in my client's favor,"

"Oy, is this a time I can speak up?" Tanner shouts.

"No," the judge replies calmly, not moving his gaze from Peridot.

"Shucks," Tanner whispers to the others.

"Thank you, your honor," Peridot continues, "we will be calling two witnesses - Merrigan Bellows and the honorable Jasurinax - to testify on Lord Fairwind's behalf. In addition, I fully intend to cross-examine Tanner's versions of events and demonstrate how wholly unreliable it is. Through this we will show that Ms Tanner has fundamentally misrepresented the facts, and that the only reasonable conclusion is that she is in possession of stolen property. Thank you, your honor,"

"Now you can speak," the judge turns to Tanner.

"Well, seems to me that if the prosecution-"

"Plaintiff," the judge snaps.

"Plaintiff is going to rest their case on the word of Lord Fairwind, shouldn't he be present? I mean, Peridolt over there gets to cross-examine me. Seems like it'd be mighty unfair if I couldn't do the same," Tanner slurs the opposing council's name just enough to make it sound like an accident, "and also - Jasurinax!? Seriously, 'honorable' is stretching it when talking about the point man of one of the biggest slave trading operations on the astral seas. A slave trader who lost a couple million quid because Aster went and clipped the wings of that operation. Not exactly the most unbiased of witnesses,"

There is a moment's pause, and during that time the door swings open. There is the sound of a hound's nose sniffing the air. Those who turn around see the scarred hound archon walking into the room. He breaths deep, smiles, then shuffles into the nearest row of seats while he grasps his blade with both hands. Though he's blind, you can feel his gaze upon your backs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Did you really think you were going to elude a creature with Scent that is specifically built as a tracker that easily?

Fortunately for you, as a creature of law and good it respects the sanctity of a court in session and will calmly wait until you step outside before murdering you. A creature of law and evil, on the other hand, may very look for a loophole. So, y'know, maybe watch out for that other aura.

"Erm, yes," Peridot breaks the silence, "that is a serious accusation, Ms Tanner. A possibly... defamatory statement, if I would be so bold. What evidence do you have for it,"

Tanner pauses for a moment, then shrugs, "cuz I worked as Jasurinax's navigator before I worked for Aster," she pulls down her sleeve revealing a brand on her arm, "Five Fiends League, in case you didn't know. Of course, your 'good Lord Fairwind' did know," she pulls out a scroll case, pops it open revealing a single paper inside, and throws it at the judge, "been holding it as insurance against him all these years. Fairwind's signature and magical seal on a contract for the delivery of four hundred mortal slaves to his mining partners, to be delivered by the 'honorable' Jasurinax,"

"This is not how we... you were supposed to submit..." the judge looks at the documents and his eyes widen. There's a canine chuckle in the background. The Hound Archon is clearly amused by what he's hearing. Aron notices the aura of evil and law suddenly dart out in front of him, fly over the judge's head, then a few seconds later it vanishes entirely.

As the moment of shock lifts, Peridot springs to action, "I move that the previous statements and document be stricken from the court record as an untimely submission!"

"Oy, judge, you gunna let him get away with that technicality?" and then she turns to Peridot, "or maybe you should, and I'll take it to the court of public opinion instead,"

"Give me... give me a moment to request the court clerk to verify this document," the judge says, stunned.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

Aron circles around to the archon. Not stealthily, just mindful of not interrupting the proceedings with undue noise. "So. What was that Evil presence we both felt". He lets the question hang for a moment before he pokes. "Friend of yours?"
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hound Archon seems taken aback by Aron's casual conversation. He shakes his head, "no, not a friend," he sniffs the air, "a fellow servant of an ignoble cause, through a different chain of command. One of Siga's flies, returned to master to share the latest gossip," the hound tilts his head and taps his blade against the ground, "you should submit to me now; I do not find any joy in this ignoble but necessary burden, and will make your ends swift and dignified. My diabolical counterpart, Siga, revels in debauchery,"
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-12-14 at 03:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"Oh, you will find no joy here. No dignity. And it will not be swift, either."
    Aron stalks away from the archon.

"Really, that's the best you could do? He gives you an opening about necessity so you can tear into his moral standing, and you come up with that instead?" he thinks to himself, as his mind races through several permutations of Staircase Wit.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus leaned over and whispered in Tanner's ear. Whatever 'appens, don't tussle with the Archon. Its our business and thar no need to get ya tangled in it more than we are asking of ya already. He then stood and casually walked back and sat on the opposite side of the Archon making a point of not looking at him directly (and avoiding any odd or pointed glares).

Ya know, you remind me of someone back home. An old blood hound named Chester. Ol' Chester was the lawman's dog; helped keep the peace ya? Surly sort, never took a liking to no-one but the lawman. Made sense, I spose. Sure Chester met a lot of bad men in his days. Make it hard to trust new ones. He paused for a second, inhaling deeply as if it were the most casual conversation in the universe. Now, Ol' Chester was a good dog. He followed the lawman's words to the letter. Real loyal type. Everyone said that when the lawman every keeled over, and he was gonna. Running near 60 in a podunk little town in Alabama, dozens of miles from the doctors in Montgomery, it was a matter of when, not if. When the lawman keeled over, Ol' Chester would stay by him till he starved. Too loyal to get his own food without the lawman's say-so.

He paused again, raising a finger as if to put a pin in that thought. But ya see, that ain't what happened with Ol' Chester and the lawman. Now the lawman died alright. Peaceful like, in his sleep. No one knew till the next day. But Ol' Chester didn't stay by the lawman's side. He left. And wondered. And found himself some bad men. He motioned off to the far side of the court. See, in the outskirts of town was McLeery's farmstead. And McLeery had the finest daughter in town; Mary. Mary McLeery was sweet as could be, sharp as a tack and did take no shoot from us country boys. Now, some of use keened on ta her. We ask her out, and she give us her answer. Done deal, end of the story. But the Mason brothers, now they had themselves some thick skulls. She said one word and they heard another. That same night, when the lawman passed in his sleep, the Mason brothers snuck unto Mr. McLeery's farm and riled up the steers. McLeery, tired from the day, sent Mary out to calm them down. And that's where the Mason brothers grabbed her. Put a knife to her throat- Atticus put his finger to his throat, as if holding a knife there. - and told her to keep quiet and she gets to keep all her blood on the inside.

He raised a hand, waving it slightly. Now you are gonna ask me 'What's this gotta do with the damn dog?' Everythang. See, Ol' Chester had some kinda sixth sense about danger. It was like he knew when someone was up ta no good. So while the lawman passed on, Ol' Chester sniffed out two troublemakers at the McLeery barn. Atticus chuckled. Mary said she had never seen the old blood hound move like that. Ferocious, like a rapid wolf. All teeth and bark. He paused again, shutting his eyes and shaking his head. The Mason brothers got what was coming to them. The elder one, Jonathan. He's buried outside the church now. Ol' Chester went straight for the throat. And the younger, Thomas, well... he ain't gonna pass on the Mason name that's for sure. And the sad thing is, Ol' Chester didn't make it niether. Thomas got the knife buried in his skull.

He paused once more, this time for several seconds before continuing. Now, don't get me wrong. The Mason brothers got what was coming to them. What they did was despicable. But Ol' Chester didn't deserve that. He may have been a surly old mutt, but he was the lawman's dog. It may be fitting the lawman's dog goes down fighting fer the law, but it don't mean he deserved it. So then, Archon. I have a question for you. He turned, looking the Archon in his milky, sightless eyes. What crime did we commit that was so despicable that all sides of Heaven and Hell are after our throats. 'Cause by my reckoning, none of us have done anything as bad as the Mason brothers. And at least one of them is still livin'. In a manner of speaking.
    Last edited by MesiDoomstalker; 2019-12-16 at 01:24 AM.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hound Archon remains taciturn throughout Atticus' story. He sighs at the final question, "I was once a lawman's dog; I served him faithfully without reservation. Later I served another lawman for different reasons. I dare not sully their good name with the dirty work I now undertake. Like 'Chester' of your tale, I have a sense for trouble. It is how I saw too much, how I both lost and regained my faith," the hound looks at Atticus with empty vacant eyes and lowers his voice, "I am the executioner of an empty court with no prosecutor, judge, or jury. I have forsaken all rank and am the lowest of all beings in this cosmos, and have become its Custodian. I do what must be done, keeping secret what must not be known. You are charged with crimes I am forbidden to speak, condemned for reasons beyond your control," the hound's voice has lowered to a whisper at this point, "I will not patronize you with apologies, nor make excuses on my own behalf. In absence of reason or explanation you will defend yourself to bitterest of ends, and others may come to your defense against unjust violence. I honor such misguided valiance even as I lament the unnecessary strife caused by my order's secrecy,"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus nodded, putting a supportive hand on the Archon's shoulder. Can't say I understand all your saying. But I get yer meaning. I am sorry we must meet like this.
    I respect your determination. Can we at least know your name? Faithful servant of an empty court or not, I don't like defending myself from yer kind neither.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel has cast one ear toward the conversations with the archon, but his main focus was on the court proceedings. Taking a piece of paper, he printed a few notes to Tanner, who unsurprisingly seemed to be taking a rather cavalier approach to the proceedings.

Object to any testimony that “lord Fairwind said” — hearsay, Lord Fairwind not available for cross examination to which you are entitled. Stress latter part.

If a delay asked for, object — vital commercial interest in restoration of your property, without which you cannot make your livelihood. They brought case, should be prepared to settle today or have asked to delay case.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hound patiently listens to Atticus before responding, "It's better you don't understand, and I expect no quarter from you as a result," he speaks only after a moment's pause, "my name is Girend. Long ago I had the appellation 'the Hunter', and I suppose it is fitting once more,"

Tanner takes Sefariel's note, reads it, and gives him a wink and a nod in affirmation.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-12-16 at 03:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a tension in the courtroom that lasts for several minutes while the judge confers in a nearby office with the court clerk. When he returns he sits down.

"I have spoken with the court clerk, and we have verified Lord Fairwind's seal," the judge settles back down, clearly unnerved, "moreover, plaintiff's motion to suppress the untimely evidence is denied. Non-residents of Ankoro are to generally be accommodated and not punished for procedural errors, as it is understood they may not be familiar with the rules of our court,"

Peridot glares at Tanner, then turns to the judge, "then I would like to request an extension to a later date, as I will need to confer with Lord Fairwind on the matter,"

"I've already been hauled around and treated like a criminal on nothing but Fairwind's word. My - er - commercial interest has been harmed, and I can't make a living without my ship. Why should I have to sit on my hands for days or weeks if Poohidot over here can't show any evidence right now?" Tanner protests as Sefariel advised.

The judge sighs, "Mr Peridot, you're forgotting something," he pauses, then when the attorney doesn't respond he speaks, "the holding order on the Cerulean Gray! It expires at the end of this hearing unless I extend it,"

"Then do so?" Peridot raises an eyebrow.

"Should I?" the judge asks, "Ms Tanner is not here in Ankoro by choice. Our courts are mindful not to harass travellers who do only cursory business in Ankoro. Holding the Curelean Gray is a significant impediment to Ms Tanner, and it is Fairwind who faces the burden of showing the holding order is justified. While this does compete against his interest in a fair hearing over his property claims, if you cannot show a plausible claim at this point in time then I cannot extend the order further. Frankly I think it best for all parties if she leave Ankoro promptly and without further public incident," he puts the documents she handed him face down before him as he says this, implying none too subtly that he thinks the whole debacle should be buried. Tanner grins wildly, clearly pleased with such an outcome.

Peridot gets up and stuffs his papers under his arm without even bothering to stow them properly, "I see your mind is made up. I will be bringing this matter before Lord Fairwind, and the council. I don't think my presence here is needed anymore. Good day, your honor," Peridot stands and marches out of the room.

"I'm sorry for your troubles, Ms Tanner," the judge beckons her closer. He hands her the papers she threw at him only minutes earlier, "please take these with you, ideally far away from Ankoro. If you would come into my office, I'll see about getting you the proper papers and orders to get your vessel released,"

As the two of them duck into the judge's side office, the courtroom immediately takes on an oppressive aura. The other observers filter out, leaving only the six party members, a single peaceguard, and a hound archon that remains motionless and poised. The tension and silence causes the seconds to drag on, until suddenly the Hound's ears perk up and he puts his nose to the air. He stands calmly without taking a combat stance and moves to the door to leave. He twists his head to allow his voice to carry clearly in your direction, "I will be back to finish my job, under circumstances where misguided but innocent lives are not at risk,"

As the archon opens the door to leave through the public exit, you can faintly hear the footsteps of several dozen boots running down the hall in your direction.

Show

And with that the time for calm discussion and legal wrangling is over.

There are three exits from this courtroom. The public exit, the judge's office that Tanner is currently inside, and a third door near what looks to be a prisoner's box. I doubt the actual layout of the courtroom is necessary as you have sufficient time to leave before those footsteps arrive. If you're still here when they are, I'll provide a battle map.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus sighed heavily. One step forward, two steps back. Atticus moved from where he was seated, giving only a passing glance at the retreating Archon's back. Girend will fight us if we leave here; might as well fight the others here and deal with him later. He said as he clambered up to the judges lecturn, granting him some modicum of high ground as he drew his musket, at the ready.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel moved toward the door to the judge's office. "I would rather not fight a battle in a war we cannot win. Killing them will bring us no closer to safety. Our answers are with Tanner, on Basrakal, not in taking their blood."

With a word and a wave, he vanished from sight. "If we must fight, fight to escape, to flee. Remember our goal."

Show
    Casting Vanish, because, it can't hurt.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Aron

"We need to get out of here." Aron flares with power for a moment, and a grotesque mound of flesh squeezes through a rift in space, a smaller version of a grotesquely fat man. Aron points in the direction of the footsteps, and it sets off to cause mayhem. Aron moves towards the public exit, readying his weapon as he does so.
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

The Dretch, gleefully intuiting its orders, jumps through the doors and immediately belches a cloud of of noxious fumes. There are yells of confusion in the corridor. A voice pierces through the clamor and yells "hold your breath and rush through! It's just a wretched Dretch!" There are more sounds of sputtering and coughing that footsteps, however, so it appears your Dretch has bought you a precious few extra moments.
    Last edited by Darvin; 2019-12-26 at 01:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus scowled before hopping off the lectern. Fine. Lets move then. It is as if they didn't understand the advantage of minimizing engagements and the benefit of choosing the battlefield. But he wasn't their sergeant. Decision by committee, it seems. A poor tactical decision as a group is still stronger than stubbornly engaging the enemy alone.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Aron moves to the unknown door, trying to fling it open with a brief burst of magic.

I can cast open/close hands free!
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

As Aron's spell completes the door opens to reveal a corridor dimly lit by magical lights. While it is clean and clearly used, you get the sense that this may be a service hallway used by staff and not the general public.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel rapped urgently on the judges office before trying the door. Whatever the result of the door, he announced “I am quite sorry to interrupt, but it appears a discontent mob is intent on storming your courtroom. I presume there is an alternate route of escape, perhaps through some back offices?”

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Aron legs it down the service hallway, alert for any way out.
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Aron
    Aron darts down the hallway, his footsteps echoing ahead of him and the sounds of the commotion disappearing behind him. He passes by one door after the next, each marked with a courtroom number. The only open door he spies is a janitorial closet that he's been left open with cleaning supplies and leading nowhere. There is also an ominous doorway marked as leading to the adjoining Ankoro jailhouse. It would appear these service hallways are also used to transport prisoners to and from trials, and as such there are no obvious windows or points of exit. Aron almost finishes a half circuit of the hallway when he sees what appears to be a janitor coming through a doorway. He appears to be an ordinary human, with a bucket of soapy water and a mop slung over his shoulder, and a somewhat agitated look on his face. Aron easily pushes past the man, getting an indignant shout but no resistance, as he pushes through the doorway and emerges into the lobby. There he can see a scene of chaos.

Finely-dressed dignitaries from Ankoro, citizens, peaceguards, armed warriors openly displaying the Fairwind house regalia, and everyone is yelling at each other. This discordant scene has made his sudden appearance go unnoticed, but a familiar sight immediately comes to his attention. There's an imp, flying above the fray, yelling and pointing at him, trying desperately to get the attention of Fairwind’s men. It’s only a quick sprint - no more than 40 feet - to the exit of the courthouse from here, and from there the harbor is within sight. However, there are several dozen potential adversaries who might do Aron harm if he draws their attention.

Sefariel
    The judge look ups at Sefariel with a look of disbelief on his face, "there is a what now!?" he blinks in disbelief.

Snatching the signed papers, Tanner leaps to her feet, "Oi, just like Fairwind to hire some stooges to cause a ruckus when he loses. Look, I'm all for getting outta Ankoro like you suggested. Can you help me out?" Tanner asks. The judge grimaces, clearly put off by the sounds of commotion and the rather forward request.

“Fine,” he says as he stands up and unlocks another doorway into his office and leads Tanner . They emerge into a smaller and plain looking atrium. A handful of peaceguards stand by the door with their hands behind their back. They nod to the judge as he escorts Tanner and Sefariel out the back door, “please try not to cause any more trouble for Ankoro, Ms Tanner,” he whispers as he unlocks the door and lets her out.

Once the door closes behind her, Tanner lets out a shriek of joy as she kisses the signed papers, “to the Cerulean Gray! Let’s blow this excuse for a city and set sail!” she whips around quickly and stops, looking over the maze of back streets they’ve emerged into, “you, uh, wouldn’t happen to know which it is to the harbors from here?”

Everyone Else
    Declare which one you’re following. We should be reunited shortly, but you may have very different paths to the harbor.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Aron briefly visualizes the spectacle of a large, hairy Aurochs trampling through the crowd and smiles. But it turns into a frown when he considers the collateral damage. Instead, he steels his will against gravity and swoops through the lobby, out into the open air and upwards.

Mind over Gravity (Sp) (standard action) to gain flight speed 60' (perfect) for 1 minute.
    Semper ludens.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Atticus nodded towards the judge before indicating towards their exit. After ya Ms. Tanner.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

"“you, uh, wouldn’t happen to know which it is to the harbors from here?”"

"I haven't the faintest" Sefariel replied. "We could ask those gentlemen guarding the door. I would assume my colleagues know where your ship is, they having been there whilst I have not, and I would really prefer not to leave without them at any rate. So for now, let us see what we can do to assist them."

With that, he walked to the edge of the alley, poking his head around the corner to scout the intersection as sneakily as a tall pale skinned aasimar with vaguely jeweled skin is able to do.

Show
    Stealth, for my amusement:

(1d20+1)[11]

And perception in case a swarm of angries is about to turn the corner when I'm about to do that, 'cause I'd like to know:

(1d20+9)[26]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Atticus & Sefariel
    The guard looks to Sefariel and, in a friendly demeanor, answer his question, "just head to your left, cut through the alleyway there, and you'll find your way onto the main thoroughfare. You'll be able to see the harbor," he points as he speaks. Moving towards the alley both Sefariel and Atticus immediately get an uneasy feeling; narrow and secluded this would be the perfect place for an ambush. There is no immediate sign of assailants, and neither spy any apparent threats, but you've already seen evidence of invisible spies at work today. A longer detour might be possible, but that would put you further away from your compatriots and possibly give more time for your attackers to organize and find you.

Show
    Consider this your "prebuff round"; I can guarantee that regardless of your decision you will face some sort of conflict within a minute or two ;-)

Aron
    Zipping across the room, Aron's motion and the imp's shouting attracts attention. One of the peaceguard opens fire with a crossbow, but the weapon is smacked aside by another peaceguard and the bolt goes flying into the air. There is a chorus of argument that overboils, and with a glance over his shoulder Aron can see that there is a minority of peaceguard (along with Fairwind's men) who break away from the mass of peaceguards to pursue him. No further does his vision turn to the road ahead does he see a pair of figures materialize in a flash of umbra; Bearded Devils, brandishing vicious glaives, eying him up.

Show

Aron has initiative. Enemies behind, enemies ahead, do as you will.

Spoiler: Zaraweti and Rhenner
    Show

Declare which group you're with, please.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Sefariel let out a quiet sigh at the surroundings. "Certainly, thank you for the directions. They are much appreciated."

Turning a corner, he remarked to his colleagues "I do not like this, not one bit. Sophia, dear, come out and scout about for a bit, if you don't mind? See if you can catch any evil lurkers while about. Don't stray too far?" At this, the wizard's familiar emerged from his chest, fluttered about his face, and began ascending into the sky to get a better vantage.

'I suggest you take a moment to avail yourselves of whatever protections you might carry. This will be the pursuers final opportunity to assault us for some time, most likely. Have you any need of anything in particular?"

Show
    Move action will de-merge my familiar; it will cast detect evil (it's at will) and begin to fly around to scout.

I'll, uh, cast Shield. You know, just in case.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Aron's pulse quickens as he sizes up his enemies. His hands tighten their grip on shield and weapon. His mind is racing ahead, going through the opening moves of the fight, weighing options.

Then he spits out his held breath and bolts into the sky. His eyes flare with power, and a shimmering wave runs over the hostile crowd.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Move straight upwards (perfect maneuvrability), standard action to cast Slow (30' diameter, 7 targets, Will DC 18 negates)
    Semper ludens.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Aron
    A number of the footsteps in pursuit of Aron change tempo, and there's some sounds of scuffling as others try to rush past their beleaguered compatriots. The devils that appeared to harass Aron look up at him, their glaives out of reach, but one of the two merely smiles. He disappears in a cloud of miasma and reappears that same instant breathing down Aron's neck, his feet resting beneath him held aloft by some magic. The other devil remains calmly below watching the conflict above with his glaive held ready.

Show

4 people were successfully slowed.

One of the Bearded Devils teleports up to Aron. He is standing exactly 10 feet away (his glaive is a reach weapon) and appears to be under the effect of either a fly or levitate spell.

Sefariel
    Momentarily, Sefariel feels a brief moment of heightened alertness and caution from Sofia - a fight or flight response - followed by an anxious relaxation. She returns back moments later to report she saw no auras of evil in the surrounding areas. If questioned about her sudden rise in anxiety, she says it was probably a trick of the eye and she didn't see any threats.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh but now he leaves me no choice", Aron thinks to himself and grins. The magic of his weapon and hits boots flare up, and he executes a rapid series of thrust and stabs with his own polearm.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Free action: Boots of speed
    Swift action: Arcane pool, weapon is now +4, cutting through any DR but adamantine and /-.
    Full Attack with Power Attack:
    (1d20+16)[35], damage (1d10+19)[23]

(1d20+16)[32], damage (1d10+19)[25]

(1d20+11)[22], damage (1d10+19)[23]

Spoiler: Threat range 19-20, confirm rolls
    Show
    (1d20+16)[20], damage (1d10+19)[20]

(1d20+16)[21], damage (1d10+19)[26]

(1d20+11)[23], damage (1d10+19)[21]
    Semper ludens.