New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: ACExtravaganza's Paper Chase IC

You see that the house is quite charming, it's rather large and spacious, with a wide variety of elegant furnishings. "This, well, this used to be my uncle's house you see, and to be honest." Thomas then shrugs. "I have no idea which of his titles we-were taken, although, I do most certainly notice their absence, of course."
    He then gestures for you to follow him and leads you down a hall to a room that looks rather unlike much of the rest of the house. It's cluttered and piled high with books of all shapes and sizes, and on all subjects, their only common trait is that it appears that at some point, they all were well cared for. "This, well, this was my uncle's study, I-I couldn't really bear to clean anything up, so most of it has been left a-as is. However, if you notice..." He points up towards one of the bookshelves and you see six clear dust outlines where presumably several books were. "I j-just discovered these spots missing a couple of days ago." He looks at you utterly confused. "I-I have no idea what anyone would want with my uncle's books, but the burglar d-didn't even take any of our, well, our actually valuables."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Was there any other sign of a break-in? When was the last time you're sure these books were here?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas strokes his chin, "I-in all honesty, I didn't realize what h-had occured until I was walking by the room and noticed those spots, missing. As for the last time time I would be sure of their p-presence, well, I have barely been in this room since Douglas disappeared." He then looks down defeatedly, "I know that's not that much h-help, but I hope you can solve this mister... y-you know I don't think I ever got your name."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Felix Autumn, and if that's all you have to go on, I'm not really sure what I can do... but I suppose I will try my best, regardless.

I see if he knows more than he's saying.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Psychology roll to look him over.
    ----

Thomas thinks for a moment more, "I'm dreadfully sorry, I wish I could tell you more. I really didn't interact w-with my uncle that much. He m-mostly just kept to himself in his study. Always reading he was. Al-although if you're looking out for him, last I saw he was balding, with white hair, average height, and wearing round spectacles. Thank you again, and good luck!"
    As you're about to begin your investigations Thomas suddenly shouts from behind you. "Oh! I'm so s-sorry, I almost forgot. You can use this room here while you remain here." He leads you to a rather spacious but comfortable room decently furnished, and sets your bags down inside. "I'm also of course, willing to pay if you're able to find any information concerning either the br-break-in or my uncle. E-erm, before you leave would you like anything to drink, or eat? I don't know how long the drive is, but Mary just made s-some wonderful lemonade."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

(1d100)[17]

I'm sorry, but Mary is... Regardless, some lemonade would be lovely.

Next I suppose I'll look for a record of what books he had, if there is one, and check the rest of the personal library for the content of the remaining books.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He seems relatively honest. Although you presume that his stutter has to do with the fact that his home was broken in. He clearly has lost some of the safety he feels with this as his home. It's also clear that his uncle meant quite a bit to him, as indicated by the fact that he hasn't cleaned up his study. Presumably unable to muster up the courage to remove the last remnant of his uncle from his home. You may check mark Psychology.
    ----

Thomas at first looks confused, "I mean s-she's... oh, I didn't tell you that. I have a wife, Mary. She works at this time, but she might be home for dinner, she makes a marvelous meatloaf." He then smiles and heads back into the house, available with a call, but resuming work on his new novel. Meanwhile you drink the lemonade, which is, in fact, quite terrific. However, eventually you decide you must return to your work and begin with the study.

You head into the study and immediately find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer volume of books. They are of all shapes and sizes and it could take a whole day to dig through the entire pile, and there is most certainly no record of his books, at least, one that you can obviously find. Instead it seems that many of them are simply piled haphazardly for Kimball the elder (whom Thomas informs you to be Douglas) to simply grab whatever book fit his fancy. Simply looking through a few books allows for you to realize that Douglas Kimball was quite a well-read man. There are books upon almost every single subject, from numerology to theses concerning the tenants of the Christian church.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I suppose I see if anything else has gone obviously missing...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 3:02 PM, October 1st, 1921

You briefly look around through the piles of stacks. With the exception of the six aforementioned spots, you find nothing except a rather intriguing story concerning sea creatures deep below the ocean who could communicate with people. You expect you could spend a whole day rifling through these books and dig up absolutely nothing. On the other hand, you might be able to find something, but in all honesty, it probably would take the whole day.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Having no other leads, Felix continues to comb through the books, trying to find something of relevance.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Note, it's possible there might be some information in town? You did pass a Library, Newspaper, Police Department, I mean heck, as long as the citizens aren't as crazy as Emberhead, I'm sure you could talk to them. What you're doing right now is a viable option, but in a more freeform game like this, you can often gather leads by investigating.
    ----

So just to confirm, you're going to be spending the rest of the day in Douglas Kimball's study?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Yes, I have two more days to figure things out, one day spent in this study seems like a worthwhile investment.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That seems fair, please give me a Spot Hidden roll as you're searching through the library.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Lets see what we get... (1d100)[37]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 10:37 PM, October 1st, 1921

You've spent almost eight hours pouring over and cleaning up all of the books in Douglas Kimball's study. Mary Kimball eventually comes home and the two give you a rather tasty meatloaf while you continue your job. The sun sets and you're still loooking through. Thomas pokes his head in now and again to see how everything is going, but you feel like you're barely making any progress. Nothing here hints to what the burglar actually stole or Douglas Kimball's own whereabouts. Eventually, noticing your despair Thomas comes in as well. "You know, I just remembered! I think my uncle had a journal or something like that, here let me help you look." Even more time passes as you feel weariness wash over you as you're about to turn in and resume your search in the morning when you notice it.

It's not a distinguished book per se, but unlike literally every single other book in his study, this one does not have a title. It's rather small and appears to be... a journal. Realizing this could contain the answers you seek, you head back to your room to pour over its contents.

Arnoldsberg, 11:16 PM, October 1st, 1921

With a brief skim it seems quite clear that Douglas did not lead a very interesting life, and yet, every book that he read seemed to give him immense pleasure. It was as if he was living out a myriad of interesting lives all at the same time, or at least, that's how he describes it in his journal. Eventually, you reach the end wherein Douglas cryptically mentions "reaching a decision" and "joining with my friends below." You happen to ask Thomas for more information about Douglas' disappearance and you realize that this entry is dated the day before Douglas vanished. In addition, other earlier journal entries seem to hint at a network of tunnels beneath the cemetary, inhabited by mysterious "creatures" that Douglas happened to see moving about the cemetary at night. With this new information at hand, you decide to pursue some more leads further in the morning, but for now... you must rest.

Arnoldsberg, 8:37 AM, October 2nd, 1921

You have just finished a most marvelous breakfast of bacon, toast, and eggs, courtesy of Thomas (who appears to actually be a decent chef himself). As while you're eating, he happens to ask. "So, Felix, did you happen to find anything?" You notice he seems to be more at ease now that you're on the case. As they await your answer both husband and wife lean in closer.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I think I just might have, though I don't want to get your hopes up too high.

After the breakfast I head to the library to research these alleged tunnels under the cemetery.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The couple look rather glad to hear that, as Thomas then adds. "Of course, but at least you have a little inkling of something. My professor always said: 'A little information is better than no information at all!'" You finish up your breakfast and head out into town, ready to investigate.

Arnoldsberg, 9:05 AM, October 2nd, 1921

You head into the library, which, while rather small, is still sizable considering the size of this small town. Soon you begin to look over periodicals and other books related to possible tunnels in the graveyard. However, there are quite a few books to get through...
    ----

Please give me a Library Use roll as you spend even more time reading and researching!

EDIT: I actually just realized I made a mistake, and misread your Spot Hidden roll, so please give me another d100 as well (as I'm going to assume that you pushed the roll and kept searching).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

(1d100)[16]

not quite sure I follow, but here's a roll

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ACExtravaganza View Post
    [roll0]

not quite sure I follow, but here's a roll
    I thought your spot hidden was a 31, not a 37. So I acted as if you succeeded. However you failed, but you could Push the roll and reroll it with greater consequence if you fail, but a second chance. Given that I had already written that you succeeded, I assumed that you would push the roll. This second roll is a success, so you're all good. Let's say that Thomas came in and helped you out with looking happening to remember that his uncle's journal was "around here somewhere." Does that make sense?

I do now need the Library Use roll though.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Makes perfect sense now, yeah.

(1d100)[23]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, you're rolling quite well!
    ----

Arnoldsberg, 1:17 PM, October 2nd, 1921

You search and search for anything related to these tunnels underneath the cemetary, but to be honest, there's not too much there. Every now and then children or other adults come around your table to read but you are too focused on finding information. A couple of hours pass until eventually you find... something, you're not sure what. It's an article from the Arnoldsberg Advertiser dated 1908, concerning the alleged sighting of a band of people, apparently unclothed, cavorting in the cemetary next to the Kimball house. The constable was summoned, and a report was filed at the Police Department, but no sign of the strangers was ever found, with the exception of several misshapen footprints that gave mute evidence of their presence.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I guess I'll ask around town about these sightings.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 1:38 PM, October 2nd, 1921

You begin walking around, asking about the sightings. You don't receive too much information though. One citizen recommends looking into the library to see if you could pull up any info, while another notes that the Arnoldsberg Advertiser keeps back copies of most of its issues as well as the notes related to certain pieces. You also happen to mention Douglas Kimball as well, seeing if anyone knows any information concerning that either. One man recalls him to be a kindly man.
    ----

As you're walking around please give me either an Appearance or a Credit Rating roll.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm going with appearance.

(1d100)[95]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You spot a rather old woman as well, and you're just about to ask her about the tunnels, the people, and Mr. Kimball himself when she spots you as well. She immediately avoids you and hurries off, unwilling to talk. Leaving you alone around town...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

That was odd, Felix thinks. Then proceeds to the news paper, hoping to find something more about the article.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arnoldsberg, 2:01 PM, October 2nd, 1921

As you head into the Arnoldsberg Advertiser you find yourself immediately overwhelmed by the sheer amount of activity going on in the small building. It seems quite clear that things are rather chaotic in this place. However, as you enter, one of the workers, comes up to you and remarks in one long breath. "Why hello there, I'm Artie Mallory, and I'm afraid that we're a bit busy at the moment, but why don't you come back tomorrow, I'm sure that you'll be able to... ask any questions or do whatever it is you want to do when we're much less busy, thanks, bye!" She then turns away from you to resume her work.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Assuming I can't grab anyone's ear long enough for me to persuade them to help me, I ask someone why everyone is so busy.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You could probably talk to Artie momentarily, calling her before she resumes her work, what are you going to say?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Why exactly are you so busy today?