Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Hazbin Hotel

1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Hazbin Hotel

Inside of every demon is a rainbow~

Inside of every sinner is a smile~

I can't link it because I'm at work but the pilot for Hazbin Hotel is out! For those of you unfamiliar, it's a web series about Charlie, the adorably cute princess of hell. She intends to solve Hell's greatest problem; overpopulation, which leads to a yearly purge by Heaven. So she sets up the Happy Hotel, a place to rehabilitate sinners.

No one ****ing cares except her and her probably girlfriend, Vaggy (don't know her full name since this is obviously a nickname).

Thankfully, someone does want to help. Unthankfully, it's Alister the Radio Demon, Hell's most enigmatic and legitimately horrifying monster. He wants to help primarily because the idea of people actually taking this seriously and inevitibly failing (because he believes the only actual chance of redemption any of them had was in life) would be really enjoyable to watch. Calling the place the Hazbin (as in "has been") Hotel, he helps freshen the place up so Charlie can maybe start actually recruiting people. Aside from their first tenant of course, Angel Dust, who is... a very dumb and bad person who is only here for the free house.

So yeah. Please note the show is decidedly rated for adults, and the opening is a bit excessive in that regard. Giving the opening revolves around Angel Dust this isn't that big a surprise because Angel Dust is awful. But it feels like that's the point and he might get better. We'll see!

Also don't trust the Radio Demon. Seriously don't.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-29 at 09:57 AM.

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Hazbin Hotel

The art style was pretty neat. Good use of colors to set this as a city in hell. I felt the swearing was overdone though.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Arrrgh! Keep meaning to watch it. Keep getting distracted by literally everything.

Peeps in doubt! Check this show out! I was hooked on it in previews, it's great and awesome and worth your time to try. Don't be a Valin and put it off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been following the production of Hazbin Hotel for a while now, it's nice that the pilot episode is finally out. I'm not sure how many times I've watched the "Inside of Every Demon is a Rainbow" number... (a lot... it was a lot.)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Also don't trust the Radio Demon. Seriously don't.
    Y'know the person that introduced me to the show told me told me that I got the Radio Demon wrong and he was going to be a redeemable character. Now I'm thinking that I was... right?
    Iop brain.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I didn't hate it. It could even be good but I feel like I've seen too little to actually know what its gonna be like on an episode to episode basis.

My biggest gripe right now is audio. There are sections of Charlie's song at the news station that are basically impossible to understand. And Radio demon while a great gimmick and I appreciate that his radio distortion effect fluctuates a bit sometimes goes a bit far as well. I'm sure there are other points in the show I want to point out of peaking audio and motormouth. Overall this isn't really a deal breaker I just hope that like most productions that are just starting out that they tighten this up a bit as they get comfortable with their set up.

And I kinda agree with Digo there. If everyone is constantly swearing or if something shocking is happening every 5 seconds it stops being shocking and loses its edge.
    Death from above
    And below
    And all sides

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually wasn't certain the perfect TV show existed before watching that pilot. I really can't wait for more of this to come out. Also I need to find all the music. All of it. Radio Demon is best demon.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I have question they talk about purging demons or erasing them but then Angel Dust doesn't seem to realise he can be permanently erased so is getting killed again just like a time out or something? Then again he is supposed to be an idiot.

Pretty good though, I liked that the king has a staff topped by an apple as a quick joke. Will keep up with it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Demons can only be permanently killed by the weapons of Angels. Otherwise they just get injured but can piece themselves back together. Tho Vaggie does have an Angelic spear.

Nobody know what happens when you die, Angel Dust was just speculating.
    LoCTBE:Recruitment:OOC:IC:Wiki

AToM:OOC:IC:Char sheet
    Goblin Tribe:OOC:IC
    LoCRoT:OOC:IC
    Frostmold:Char Sheet
    Plane Hop:Char Sheet

Colorz:Moar Colorz

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm glad it finally came out. I've been wondering what it was for a while, now. Stamper's performance alone is worth keeping an eye on this show.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

There's so much passion and care that goes into every single frame of animation. It's abundantly clear everyone involved is giving it their absolute best, and it shows. The thought I have the most is "They didn't have to do that" - they didn't have to make those backdrops so gorgeous, they didn't have to make every expression so fluid, they didn't have to have such standout background characters! But they did! Nobody involved is cutting a single corner, and what a treat that is!
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Watched this recently, and I've really enjoyed it. The animation, designs and just overall look of the show are just really fun to look at, and the characters are all really enjoyable and well-acted. Angel Dust in particular. What an absolute jerk, but what a enjoyable jerk. It does help that for the most part the show fully matches my sense of humor.

Did anyone else catch the Dover Boys cameo? It had to be pointed out to me since I am pretty blind to these kinds of things. But I do like paying homage to the classics.

That said, I am really annoyed how the fandom is already pushing me away from it. Literally hours after watching the first episode I start seeing videos like "Hasbin Hotel is offensive and that's good" in my recommended list, and I have no interest in getting involved in all that drama. I really hope they don't continue descending into one of those garbage fires, otherwise watching the show is gonna start carrying a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Mostly from the clickbait drama videos that will inevitably continue showing up in my feed. >_>
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I just added two "wild mass guesses" to TvTropes.

Sinners misunderstand why they are in Hell.
    For example, the first thing Vaggie would mention, when asked how she got here, is that she was a prostitute. But her journey to Heaven will involve finding and atoning for what has really been weighting on her soul.

Extermination is redemption.
    When a soul is ready to move on to Heaven, it has to be reaped from its demonic form. Overpopulation is a lie spread by Lucifer to keep souls longer, and by the Exterminators so demons don't trie to impale themselves on their spears. When Charlie discovers this, she will despair over her efforts to solve a problem that did not exist. But she will then find that she did help shorten Angel Dust's stay in Hell, and make his "double death" more peaceful.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The art looks nice, the acting is pretty good and the animation is great. Humor is okay-ish.

There isn't enough material to make a judgement on story and character, so I'll refrain from commenting on that for now.

All in all... It looks promising.
    Homebrew Stuff:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I gave this a shot because Jill Harris. Love her work, and she plays Charlie well. I ended up...intrigued. The art is clearly well done. There's so much going on in the background, and there are good visual gags. I didn't like the effect they added to the radio demon, but overall the voice acting was well done. Definitely worth seeing more to see the characters fleshed out, and I like the idea of a demon princess (or whatever she is, daughter of Satan) trying to find the good in people, in Hell of all places. It's like...the opposite of Gabriel Dropout or Pant and Stocking, where supposedly good otherworldly characters end up sinning their butts off.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    And I kinda agree with Digo there. If everyone is constantly swearing or if something shocking is happening every 5 seconds it stops being shocking and loses its edge.
    I feel it's realistic really. People do talk like that and reality isn't a censored forum. A place like hell would have everyone cursing every other sentence.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I feel it's realistic really. People do talk like that and reality isn't a censored forum. A place like hell would have everyone cursing every other sentence.
    I'm not saying it's unrealistic. I'm saying it has no edge if it's trying too hard or it it doesn't give those moments a chance to breath. Like reality if you overuse something it loses impact. There are allot of quick references and screwed up things shown but if they come and go so quickly you can't even register them then they have no effect on the audience.
    Death from above
    And below
    And all sides

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    I'm not saying it's unrealistic. I'm saying it has no edge if it's trying too hard or it it doesn't give those moments a chance to breath. Like reality if you overuse something it loses impact. There are allot of quick references and screwed up things shown but if they come and go so quickly you can't even register them then they have no effect on the audience.
    I guess my point is that it isn't meant to have an edge. It's more like world building. This is a place where people swear often. The effect being looked for is like entering a workplace where they do swear a lot. At first it's shocking but it quickly becomes mundane and you move on and focus on what the people are actually doing or saying around those swears.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't go that far - a culture where swearing is normalized is one thing (and one I probably wouldn't even make much note of; it's hard to beat the standards of my work culture), but there's no shortage of people who will have a fit of the vapours about even mild swearing while being awful, awful people.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I guess my point is that it isn't meant to have an edge. It's more like world building.
    That's how I see it as well. It is part of demon culture, like having a sign that says "smoking". Even the characters might not do that to be edgy, but rather to express how much they have given up now that the universe told them they are bad people.

20. - Top - End - #20

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Angel Dust, who is... a very dumb and bad person who is only here for the free house.
    Believe it or not, I've got high hopes for Angel Dust's redemption. There's a couple of moments in the pilot that suggest he's got some legitimately good qualities. Like when he shoves Cherry Bomb out of the way of an attack by Sir Pentium so he's the only one hit by it, or when Charlie is moping and he looks like he's about to comfort her (before apparently being unable to come up with anything and giving up).
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-11-13 at 02:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

Why not enter my optimization competition? Build an army; crush your foes! Military Games Act II: Mounted Defense

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I found it very hard to get into this. Practically every character was reprehensible, and everything seemed to be done in the moment without planning. The animation reminded me favorably of Invader Zim, albeit with constant, horrific ultra-violence.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Goblin

I was skeptical at first but by the end, I was blown out, this is amazing and a ton of fun. You rarely see a thing that makes you ave at how much work and passion went into it and yet is so, soo good, so many projects of passion fail flat but this one definitely made me inch for more.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I was skeptical at first but by the end, I was blown out, this is amazing and a ton of fun. You rarely see a thing that makes you ave at how much work and passion went into it and yet is so, soo good, so many projects of passion fail flat but this one definitely made me inch for more.
    Sadly a full season followup is still far off in the future. The upside is that there is a loosely related series that will be airing on youtube and looks like it will also be great.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

24. - Top - End - #24

I was surprisingly impressed. I had seen some fan art of it showing up and I'm always a little wary when a big fandom starts up right from the start. But it was pretty good. Felt like a weird mashup of Invader Zim (or at least Vasquez generally) Monster High and Dr Seuss. Like, if Dr Seuss had been an goth teenage edgelord, this is what it would have looked like. But it was fun. I did not expect a musical but that seems to be in style in cartoons these days, but that was pretty good too.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."