Thread: Joker (2019)

1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Joker (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Example.
    Wheeeeee!
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

My overall point stands, though: a majority of professional critics liked the movie. A minority didn't like it. The fact that some critics disliked isn't unusual, as it happens for almost every movie.

These posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    When the general media does its best to convince us that the movie will "radicalize young white men" and that there'll probably be mass shootings and "incel violence" in Joker screenings, I call that fear-mongering.

Wheter or not Warner planned it (in this particular case, I don't think so, at least not at first), it doesn't chanhe the fact that there was a lot of undeserved negative publicity for this film... At one point there was even a suggestion that people shouldn't see it because "it's probably giving money to a convicted pedophile" (apparently the composer of one the sTurnsis in jail for that. Turns out he isn't making any money out of the movie... And even if he were, what's the solution here? Check the backgrounds of every one involved in the production of a film before deciding to watch it?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I suppose I should've specified "an specific part of media, which does include much of the so-called 'access media' and many 'professional' criitics".

And I suppose "doing its best" might be an exaggeration, as it usually is. Perhaps "put a lot of effort, for reasons completely unrelated to the actual merits of the film".
    Are just baseless self-victimization. There is no vast conspiracy trying to trick you into hating the movie. There are just professional critics giving the typical mixed reviews that they give to almost every movie released in the U.S. There are a few outliers like the one Pelee linked to who are using hyperbole to make try and make the movie seem like more than just a movie, but those are outliers.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2019-11-11 at 11:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It isn't "baseless" since there are plenty of "articles" (not necessary reviews, in fact, many of them came out way before "Joker" was even out) about how the "dangers" of the film... And it definitely isn't "self-victimization" since I'm not claiming to be a victim or anything.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-11-11 at 12:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Then again there were probably as many if not more kids under 17 who were brought by a family member to Joker, Deadpool, the Dark Knight etc. and who really enjoyed it and find the rating system an overprotective joke.

and some of those kids may have even been under 13 (but probably fewer of them proportionally)

They just don't make much noise about it and thus don't get much attention.

so its about understanding YOUR kid.
    The rating system is sometimes...unintuitive. Using the wrong word twice can get you an R rating, but I've seen some pretty horrific stuff in a PG-13 film too. I can see it as quite rational to worry about the latter but not the former. I can't entirely blame parents when the rating system is so useless.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The big issue I have with the rating system is that it doesn't really say why it's rated that way. ESRB ratings do, which is fantastic. If you see why it's rated what it is, you can make a more informed choice over whether to let your kids see it or not, which is (in theory) the entire point behind the rating system to begin with.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The big issue I have with the rating system is that it doesn't really say why it's rated that way. ESRB ratings do, which is fantastic. If you see why it's rated what it is, you can make a more informed choice over whether to let your kids see it or not, which is (in theory) the entire point behind the rating system to begin with.
    But the movie ratings DO specify.

Joker is rated R for "for strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images".

That's about as detailed as an ESRB rating - I picked a game at random (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) and it's rated M for "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence. Strong Language."

The systems in place are perfectly fine for what they're intended for. The problem is parents not making use of said tools.

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    But the movie ratings DO specify.

Joker is rated R for "for strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images".

That's about as detailed as an ESRB rating - I picked a game at random (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) and it's rated M for "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence. Strong Language."

The systems in place are perfectly fine for what they're intended for. The problem is parents not making use of said tools.
    Ya know, now that I think if it, I remember seeing those details on trailers but never on posters or other ads.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ya know, now that I think if it, I remember seeing those details on trailers but never on posters or other ads.
    I think you might be right there. The ESRB rating reasons are built into the logo (listed vertically on the right side of it) while the movie ratings don't follow the same format.

Still a failure of parenting though. A simple Google search for Joker brings up the rating with the reasons it got the rating as the second result (behind Joker movie reviews for some reason). If a parent actually cares about what media their child is exposed to, the information ain't difficult to find.

I suspect most parents surprised by how dark the movie is weren't even aware of the rating. They saw the title Joker, thought "comic book movies are for kids!", and their research ended there.

In other news, Joker is now the first R-rated movie to earn $1 billion dollars at the box office.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I think you might be right there. The ESRB rating reasons are built into the logo (listed vertically on the right side of it) while the movie ratings don't follow the same format.

Still a failure of parenting though. A simple Google search for Joker brings up the rating with the reasons it got the rating as the second result (behind Joker movie reviews for some reason). If a parent actually cares about what media their child is exposed to, the information ain't difficult to find.

I suspect most parents surprised by how dark the movie is weren't even aware of the rating. They saw the title Joker, thought "comic book movies are for kids!", and their research ended there.

In other news, Joker is now the first R-rated movie to earn $1 billion dollars at the box office.
    I agree that it's easy to find now that you reminsdd me the reasons are available.

As for people still taking their kids.... It's half not looking it up at all, and half not caring. You'd be surprised how many people take their really young children to slasher flicks, for example.