Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default The Sunless Citadel IC

The sun is bright and hot in a clear blue sky above the little town of Oakhurst. It's a market day and the town square is crowded with families trading both necessities and luxuries. There are about a dozen wagons in from the surrounding countryside and all four of Oakhurst's merchants are doing brisk business with their neighbors. The mayor and the constable sit on the steps of the Temple of Heironeous, which pulls tripple duty as Town Hall, Jail, and of course a place of worship. The region's only two elected officials are chatting amiably with each other and their constituents as they keep an eye on the market.

Garon of the Ol' Boar Inn is trading ale for vegetables. Cookie Nackle gives the Bauers a bottle of her cure-all in exchange for a new dress sewn by Goodwife Bauer. Tybost the Smith is busy reshoeing a horse and the merchant Hucrele is taking note of debits and credits against accounts at his general store. This is the state of the village when a curious quintet of strangers arrive traveling down the New Road, drawing the curious, if a touch stand offish, gazes of the locals.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-09-03 at 12:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Sunless Citadel IC

Sivian Lark

Sivian glanced around the town. It was much smaller and cleaner than the city where he grew up. Not that that was a bad thing. First thing he did was look for a place to either stable his pony, or a nice tree he could tie it to and let it graze.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There are plenty of trees around stout enough to serve Sivian's purposes, and the timber fronts of the town buildings all have rails that would do as well. Garon, a dark haired dwarf of indeterminate years, shakes free of his haggling and calls out to the new comer. "Ho there, lad. Ye stayin the night? I've a warm fire, fine brew, and a clean bed. Hay and apples for your pony, too!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    There are plenty of trees around stout enough to serve Sivian's purposes, and the timber fronts of the town buildings all have rails that would do as well. Garon, a dark haired dwarf of indeterminate years, shakes free of his haggling and calls out to the new comer. "Ho there, lad. Ye stayin the night? I've a warm fire, fine brew, and a clean bed. Hay and apples for your pony, too!"
    "How much for a room?" Sivian asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Firatos glanced around the town he had entered. This would be the last civilized town he would see, before he reached the Citadel. Just days ago, A local noble in a city eight miles hence had promised him a large reward for retrieval of the fabled cure-all apples that were said to be sold to this town every year. Of course, Firatos knew that he would neither be able to buy it from the purported goblin vendors, or the villagers with the meager sum the nobleman had granted him. No, he would either have to retrieve one from the source.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Total War: The Final Hanrui IC | OoC

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

With staff in hand, the wood elf Syline strode with purposed duty, approaching the village of Oakhurst from the wilds. Her bare feet matted with dirt, the dusk-skinned elf clad in threadbare rags lowered her hood from her snow-capped head, green eyes darting to and fro as she stepped clear of a coming wagon's trail. Pursing her lips, she looked for a nearby inn, somewhere she was certain she could gleam more information about her pursuit: the Sunless Citadel. Cast out from her grove, the druid heard in her travels of a dark place of worship that twisted nature into something malign. Perhaps she could atone and regain her place if she helped deal with this threat. Approaching a dark-haired dwarf and teenaged human, Syline looked at both with a puzzled hesitance. "Umm...excuse me. Would either of you happen to know of a place where I can rest my head for the night? I've traveled some distance, and am quite tired. I've got business here in town, and I'm afraid I don't quite know my way around." she asked with a chuckle.
    "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Firatos looked around the village, trying to find a good place to rest for the night, before he would attempt to venture into the Sunless Citadel the next day. After asking around, Firatos was pointed towards the Ol’ Boar Inn, where a small crowd seemed to have already gathered. “Ho there, strangers! Would this tavern be able to spare room for another this night?
    Show

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

With so many other recent arrivals in the village, Adorellan knew better than to request a room in the already undoubtedly full inn. Instead, he makes his way over to one of the merchants selling apples.

"How much for an apple, miss?"

His accent and attire paint him rather clearly as one who doesn't venture into towns often.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    "How much for a room?" Sivian asked.
    Garon smiles widely. The expression is overall friendly, but there is certainly a gleam in his eye that bespeaks a touch of greed. "A room'll run ya a crown a night, dinner's a mark, an stabling fer ya pony'll be three marks. Oh, and a pint o' ale's two pennies."

Spoiler: Coinage
    Show
    Crowns=GP | Marks=SP | Pennies=CP

Quote Originally Posted by Ildu View Post
    "Umm...excuse me. Would either of you happen to know of a place where I can rest my head for the night? I've traveled some distance, and am quite tired. I've got business here in town, and I'm afraid I don't quite know my way around." she asked with a chuckle.
    Garon turns looks Syline up and down, his smile becoming less toothy. "T'ain't much "around" ta Oakhurst, missy," he says in a polite but dismissive tone. "I'm sure, one o' the farmers'll put you up for the night if ya ask nicely. Most business goes on here in the square or up at the Temple."

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    Ho there, strangers! Would this tavern be able to spare room for another this night?
    Garon winces at Firatos' call, casting a glance at Syline before turning to the newcomer. "Aye, lad, we can find something for ya. A humble bed and a roof o're your head." Sivian notices that Garon seems to be downplaying his establishment to Firatos, where he was moments ago playing it up to Sivian

Quote Originally Posted by Janwin View Post
    "How much for an apple, miss?"
    The goodwife smiles at Adorellan. He sees her eyes linger on the points of his ears for a moment but her kindly expression doesn't waver. "A penny will get you two, but so will a bit of news," she says glancing at Adorellan's belt, perhaps suspecting that one such as him might not be used to dealing in coin. "We here in the hills have had some troubles of late with our livestock and our crops, how does the woodland court fair?"

10. - Top - End - #10

EvilClericGuy

After a night in an Otyugh Hole, anywhere seems like paradise.” Firatos says. “A roof above my head and a floor beneath my feet is all I need.
    Show

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

The elf seems taken surprised at the stranger's statement. Not much going on? She could have sworn she'd heard of things happening around Oakhurst in her last stop, but paid it no mind. Perhaps the dwarven man knew very little of the ongoings. She smiled and nodded her head in agreement at his suggestion to ask a farmer for stabling or a bit of floor at the local temple. Just as she stepped away, drawing her cloak around her throat, she overheard his statement to Sivian, pausing for a moment before lowering her head in shame. Her wrist wiping away at her eyes, the elf squared her shoulders and slowly continued on down the road, wondering if word from her Circle had really reached this far so quickly. She resolved to find a way to correct her name, no matter how difficult, and began asking any who would hear her out, no matter how many times she was turned away:
    "Excuse me...do you have a bed where I can spend the night?"
    "Pardon...do you know the closest way to the Temple?"
    "Can you spare a bit of floor for a traveling druid? I promise I can make it up to you!"
    "Is there room in your stable? I won't be but the night. I even have money!"
    "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Sivian Lark

“I’ll take the dinner and an ale for now,” Sivian said.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey I heard you are the smith of this place, hate to brag but you should totally hire me, I am quite good at smithig you know!" Welch was standing next to Tybost, who was busy trying to get the shoe on the horse. Welch points to the sword behind his back, "This was made by me I'll have you know and it's pretty well done, don't you think?" taking out the large greatsword
    and pushing it into the ground.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    After a night in an Otyugh Hole, anywhere seems like paradise.” Firatos says. “A roof above my head and a floor beneath my feet is all I need.
    "Trust me to do a mite better than all that," the dwarf says looking Firatos up and down, clearly incredulous at the young man's claim, and perhaps a little insulted to boot. As Syline moves off, Garon becomes more animated about his accommodations and bows both men into his inn. The place is rustic and perhaps a little unadorned, but the rooms are clean and the bar is smooth and well polished.

“I’ll take the dinner and an ale for now,” Sivian said.
    Garon quickly draws out a pint and begins talking amiably to Sivian as his meal is prepared and brought out to him. Of course the conversation quickly steers onto the topic of local happenings and Garon mentions how livestock are dying off from mysterious wounds. "You wouldn't happen to be any good with those blades ya carry now would ya lad?" the dwarf asks pointing at Sivian's belt. "We don't get many traveling types through here, but the last bunch came and went about a month back. All decked out in fancy armor with bright blades... lot o' good it seems ta have done em."

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraiderx View Post
    "Hey I heard you are the smith of this place, hate to brag but you should totally hire me, I am quite good at smithing you know!" Welch was standing next to Tybost, who was busy trying to get the shoe on the horse. Welch points to the sword behind his back, "This was made by me I'll have you know and it's pretty well done, don't you think?" taking out the large greatsword and pushing it into the ground.
    Tybost curses holding the horse's hoof between his knees as he tries to set the hoof. The animal shies when Welch draws his blade and the smith hops away dropping the shoe to avoid being stepped on. He fixes the bladesmith with a glare that would curdle milk. "Oh, tis a fine blade, master, yes it tis, and you'll be making it all over ag'n if ye keep treating it like that. Never knew a better way ta ruin a sword than ta drive it inta e'ry bit a earth ye find. What sorta fool are ya ta innerupt a man at work anyhow. Ya might be forge-smart, but ya strike me as horse-stupid."

The smith picks up the fallen shoe and tucks it along with his tongues into his dark apron. Hand on his hips he squares himself off to the stranger and continues his tongue lashing, "Now, were ya jes here ta boast, or did ya want something from me? Because I have work ta be about."

Quote Originally Posted by Ildu View Post
    Syline began asking any who would hear her out, no matter how many times she was turned away:
    "Excuse me...do you have a bed where I can spend the night?"
    "Pardon...do you know the closest way to the Temple?"
    "Can you spare a bit of floor for a traveling druid? I promise I can make it up to you!"
    "Is there room in your stable? I won't be but the night. I even have money!"
    Syline quickly finds much more friendly and open folk milling about the market. There are a few stares and some surprised blinks at her slanted eyes and pointed ears, but the people of Oakhurst are, on the whole, welcoming to her. The town really isn't very big and people point to a stone walled building with a slate roof when she asks after the temple. A middle-aged man in a velvet doublet is sitting on the steps in front of the building smoking a pipe next to a younger man in a dull breast-plate wearing a broad brimmed hat.

As Syline watches a woman in sack cloth appears from the shadows inside the temple and waves an exasperated hand through the small cloud of smoke rising from the pipe. The smoker turns an embarrassed shade of pink and quickly taps out his pipe as the priest scolds him and the armored figure leans away, attempting to disguise a bout of laughter as a coughing fit.

It is not hard for Syline to gain offers of a meal and a place by the fire from more than one farmer, rancher, or goodwife, doubly so when they learn of her calling. It would seem that there certainly are happenings in the homesteads around Oakhurst, for which the people would be grateful of a druid's attention.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-09-08 at 01:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sivian Lark

“Shiny blades and armor eh,” Sivian said, already tallying up how much the equipment might be worth, “any idea where they went?”
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I think they had a mind to search the old ruins down in the gorge," Garon says with a shrug. "Maybe they struck it rich, but I wouldn't put any money in that. They probably cleared out poorer than when they arrived, that's what I'd guess."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Welch puts a hand behind his head rubbing it as he gets scolded, sucking out the air of what he thought would be an impressive entry.
    "Well... to be blunt I am looking for work and a place to stay for a bit," his stomach growls a bit loudly. "...and some food would be nice... kind of
    out of gold so is there any small quick favor I could do for you so I could get something?"

Spoiler: Ooc:
    Show

Influence roll
    (1d20+7)[22]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sivian Lark

“An’ which way is the gorge?” Sivian asked, “what were the ruins? any stories about it?”
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nightraiderx View Post
    "Well... to be blunt I am looking for work and a place to stay for a bit ...and some food would be nice... kind of out of gold so is there any small quick favor I could do for you so I could get something?"
    Tybost harrumphs. "Well put your bloody sword, let's see if you're as quick with a hammer as you are with that tongue." The smith then sets about putting Welch to work, shoeing horses and repairing tools.

Sivian Lark

“An’ which way is the gorge?” Sivian asked, “what were the ruins? any stories about it?”
    "Oh about half a day ta the sou-west," Garon says filling Sivian another pint. "S' on me," he continues waving away the man's coin. "I say they're just old stones, but if you believe the bards and every man looking to spin a tale, the ruins were once a grand temple, nobody can agree on whose temple, but a temple's what they say. Anyhow, long ways back the temple did somethin ta anger Ashardalon the Red, so the great beast called up fires from below and split the earth, creating the gorge and sending the temple ta the bottom of it. That's what they say, anyways. Biggest load of cow pies I ever heard though."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Adorellan replies to the woman, "The woodland court fairs well enough. It keeps itself sequestered from the rest of the world as much as possible, and tends to ensure that its food supplies are sufficient to maintain such distances. The woods themselves still protect it quite well."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sivian makes some more small talk before heading out into a field to catch some sleep. He plans to investigate the ruins first thing in the morning.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Welch puts away the sword back on his back and picks up the hammer, assisting Tybost with several jobs and errands.