Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

For reference this is taken from Paper Chase written by Keith Herber, Mark Morrison, John Sullivan, L.N. Isinwyll, with Mike Mason, Dan Kramer, and Chris Spivey, thank you!

Paper Chase?
    “Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Picture in the House

Welcome to your second scenario of Call of Cthulhu, the Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now that you've gotten some experience under your belt concerning the rules and the way the game operates, we will enter into our first freeform scenario. This is still something intended for a beginner, so it's not going to be incredibly complex or puzzling, but nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Paper Chase.

----
    Ossipee, 12:44 PM, September 4th, 1921.

You've done it... you've made it. You're... alive. After hours of following the trail you collapse as in front of the first signs of a civilization not trying to sacrifice you in some time.
    The flames flicker over you, covering the grass, scorching your legs, and your face as you cannot scream, for your mouth has been utterly charred over.
    As you awaken in a grassy field, a butterfly resting on your head flits away into the cloudy blue sky above. You look around you. You are not in Emberhead anymore. You're somewhere else, somewhere... safe. As you rise to your feet and dust off your single dirty dress you realize... you're entirely without papers, you have absolutely nothing on you. But, surely you'll be able to find something. The flyer for the new show in Arkham also floats about your mind, you hope you'll be able to talk to them and explain your situation. After all, you were nearly sacrificed by an insane tiny village on the top of a cliff.

As you think that in full you realize just how crazy that really sounds. It would almost be a better excuse to say that your dog ate your ticket. Who would believe you?

You slowly trudge into the city, the bike is ruined at this point. With thick dark circles under your eyes and ruined shoes you shamble into the village. And they were new shoes as well! You wanted to give a good first impression at your audition, even if it was not supposed to be until the 4th. People seem to give you a wide berth as you try and flag them, so you eventually make it to the police station, but... what are you going to say? That you were kidnapped by a crazy village after they stranded you there and tried to burn you alive, but you managed to escape on a bike which resulted in a cataclysm of firey death for the town?

You can't help but wonder if anyone would even listen to your story...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wind Struck's Paper Chase IC

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    From the previous game, it seemed you implied they took Deidre's shoes. Well, if not.. I don't think her original ones were meant for walking this far on rough roads and wilderness. I think regardless she's lost/ditched them too. And the bike! Poor bike. Well, they really weren't made too sturdily back then, were they?

Deirdre wakes in a panic as flames char her body, her mouth, unable to even scream. She gasps, realizing she probably passed out and moved around, a clump of grass or something obstructing her mouth. She coughs weakly and looks around bleary eyed. The last thing she remembered was seeing some buildings. Finally, some civilization! And.. she.. laid down to rest just a little while. Either that or passed out. In her current state, it was all probably the same.

Deirdre's legs and feet still stung from burn wounds, she was dizzy, her chest hurt when she breathed... she padded into the town, to any clueless bystander looking like a crazed homeless person that nearly set themselves on fire. Her hair was a tousled mess and face still had soot on it, as did her dress, along with a recent addition of dirt and some visible charring on the edges. She was devoid of her jewelry and her feet were bare, their bottoms blackened, probably not so much from the fire the night before but just from walking so far without shoes.

She looked pleadingly to some people that approached, but they just completely avoided her, out of distance of her hoarse voice. She almost felt too exhausted to shout. Luckily, just as she was planning to just barge into a random store seeking help, she saw a police station. Shambling across the street, she clumsily pushes, no, pulls the door open, and practically collapses onto a waiting bench.

She looks up and around for a receptionist or officer of some kind that would help her. She fully intended to tell everyone what happened. Maybe it didn't matter if they believed her. But all she really, really wanted was some help and some medical attention for starters.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eventually, as she makes it inside of the small cramped police station of Ossipee (it's not the largest of towns), one of the workers happens to run up to her. "Ma'am, are you... by God, Todd, get in here!" Another policeman dashes over. "We've got to get her out of here!" She continues, "Can you... maybe help me lift... maybe we can get her to Doc Brown?"
    "Todd" tries to grab onto your legs while the other officer grabs at your arms. "I'm not sure Fanny, I mean, the size of these burns... and, well, it looks like she's..." He then looks down towards you. "Ma'am, everything's going to be ok, alright? We're just going to take you to a doctor. Please, just... hold on." They begin to try and lift you out of the police station towards... somewhere (presumably the hospital).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-05 at 03:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre nods weakly. She probably was not in the best state to be making suggestions, but as they grabbed onto her legs the pain stung once more, which prompted her to ask, short of breath, "Is there a.. police car?"

A thank you was probably in order for these people as well, but among the jostling and pain, and the myriad of thoughts swimming through her mind, it just didn't come automatically.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The policewoman looks down at you and says urgently. "Sorry honey, we're not that big of a town. But, we'll get you some help, don't worry." They rush you, albeit as carefully as they can, towards a building a couple doors down. However each step feels like torture. The adrenaline wore off a very long time ago. You shut your eyes to help fight back the pain, but are startled as the policeman kicks down the door of one of the buildings. "Doc, doc, you gotta help her man!" You open your eyes slightly more as you see a man holding a stethoscope checking the heartbeat of a young boy.

"My lord, get her on the table, quickly!" The police lift you and set you down on the table, but as you come into contact with its surface your skin practically hisses, causing for you to arch your back in pain. "Ok, we're going to have to remove a lot of this dead skin, none of this is clean..." He then wheels around towards the boy he was giving a check up. "Jimmy, run on home to your mother now ok, I've got to work." As he sets about methodically removing and cleaning all of the dead or burnt skin.

"Todd, what do you think happened to her?" The policewoman stares at you while the doctor performs his work. The policeman looks back at her, with frightened eyes.
    "Caught in a forest fire? Maybe she was in a cottage and left the stove on? To be honest with you Fanny, I have no clue, and I'm not sure if I want to find out." Todd lowers his hat over his eyes, and drifting in and out of consciousness you hear a faint whimper. You're quite certain that neither of these two policemen have truly seen a living human body as injured as this (given that you literally have 1 HP remaining, a mere punch away from death), and given the size of the town, that makes sense.

The doctor continues to work as eventually Todd heads back to the Department, but Fanny is concerned. As you slip in and out of consciousness, you're able to see her move over towards you and the doctor, who wipes some sweat off of his brow. "Um, excuse me, Doctor Brown, could I, maybe, talk to her?"
    The doctor steals a quick glance in Fanny's direction only to focus back on his patient. "As long as talking doesn't have her make sudden movements, be my guest."

Fanny then leans over you, as he green eyes glance over your burned skin, and she asks you simply: "What happened?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

'It hurts.. but.. at least I am getting help now..' Deirdre thinks something like that to herself, as she does indeed just let go, slipping in and out of consciousness as the doctor does his work.

When she comes to for a bit, and the police officer, Fanny, asks Deirdre what happened, she manages to reply, "I was attacked..."

If the bruise on her head from when the man with a club knocked her out in the church wasn't apparent enough, the marks on her wrists from when she pulled on the chains and miraculously broke free of them were. "They... tried to burn me alive... shackled me to a huge bonfire,"

Deirdre made no sudden movements, but her emotions were welling back up and she trembled slightly, eyes tearing up from recalling the ordeal. Her breathing was a bit labored, her lungs still damaged and likely choked with smoke particles, but she finished, "In Emberhead... the village... the whole village... they were in on it..."

Show
    I got to admit, your job must be a lot tougher than mine as keeper. You have to RP so many people!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you mention Emberhead Dr. Brown and Fanny look at one another with confused gazes. "Miss, it's quite clear that you've suffered a rather traumatic incident. I'm just going to ask that you sleep for now. The rest of this could be very painful."

As you drift back out of consciousness, you can't help but listen to Fanny and the doctor conversing in hushed tones. "She can't mean...?" Only for the doctor to quickly cut her off.
    "It is clearly a delusion brought on by one or many traumatic events, most likely occurring during whatever fire gave her these burns. I saw similar cases in the great war. Now please officer, as much as I appreciate your presence, my patient needs re..." As you drift off into slumber.

All you can think of are the faces, of May, Silas, Mr. Winters, Louise, Jacob, the Blacksmith, even little Ruth. As their faces burn to become nothing but motes of charcoal, you think to yourself and understand that even if some of them did help you, they were all, to some extent involved in... ritual sacrifice, and for what? Your subconscious mind is not able to answer these questions with a rational response other than Shakespeare appearing and quoting Hamlet, holding the burned skull of a young girl instead of Yorick's, only for him to stare at you and hold it out, almost like an offering.

On the Road, Having Just Crossed the Border of Massachusetts, 9:13 AM, September 5th, 1921

You awaken with a groan as a bump from below shakes you awake. Everything feels like pain. "Ah! You're awake, splendid, that means my initial treatment appears to be at least somewhat successful." The voice of the doctor, you recall that. As you look around, you see that you're in a car. However, as you do look around, you feel as if every ounce of your body is screaming out in pain, and all you can do is fall back down on the seat and stare up at the ceiling.
    "I wasn't able to fully treat you with what meager medicinal supplies I have at my clinic in Ossipee. However, I do have a friend who works at St. Mary's Hospital in Arkham. They're one of the best in the area. I hope you don't mind that I'm taking you there now. You'll receive the most tip-top treatment there this side of New York."
    As the car hits another bump in the road, you wince in pain and fall back asleep.

St. Mary's Hospital in Arkham, 6:28 PM, September 5th, 1921

You find yourself lying alone in a hospital bed. In front of you is a mirror, and as you look back you see a ghastly depiction of yourself. Not because of the burns, no. Those are bad, but there's something about you. Something that's intangible, but you can only describe as... experience. You think back on everything, What Happened? It's been a couple days since everything occured, but was it a dream? Some aspects are fading now, so it must be. It was just a festival with some weird rural townsfolk. The fire got a bit out of control, that's all. "Altitude sickness." You think to yourself. That's the rational explanation for everything that happened.

A doctor happens to enter and explains that you were admitted due to 3rd-degree burns, hysteria, and delusions. You're rather confused about the latter two, but you just thought yourself that things might have been different, so you simply nod along, although each centimeter of movement is pain. She then informs you that you will most likely have to be here for at least a half-week or so.

Arkham, 2:15 PM, September 8th, 1921

You happened to be reading a new cookbook concerning baked goods, oddly enough it seems the previous patient kept a wide variety of cookbooks in their room and the nurses never removed them, when an older gentleman knocks on your door. He looks to be in his late fifties, with several tufts of white hair and a scholarly look about him. "Erm, hello there. Are you busy? I was just waiting in my room, and they said it would be nearly an hour or so until Doctor Freeman could see me for my check-up, when I happened to notice you. You wouldn't mind keeping an old man company for a while, would you?" He gives you a wry smile, something that, in all honesty, you haven't seen in quite a while, at least, one that was honest and true.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Wow, that's moving awfully fast! Though I suppose, with no money or real possessions at this point, and with arriving in Ossipee nearly dead, a "free"* ticket to Arkham (and medical help!) is just what she needed!

*Can't wait for that hospital bill... Welp. It's a good thing famous actors and actresses can make a lot of money, right?

Deirdre is too weary to protest that it wasn't a delusion. She spends most of her time unconscious.

Waking up in St. Mary's Hospital, she reflects on what happened. The doctors say she had hysteria and delusions. But she wasn't so sure. Deirdre recalled being stranded in a small village. Emberhead. She remembered a festival that was coming up and visiting people in town, though their exact words were fuzzy from memory. She remembered baking cookies.. and Ruth. She remembered hearing about a festival and expecting a joyous occasion. But instead, she swears she was chased around by people, and was chained atop a huge bonfire, as they all wore strange ceremonial garb and tried to burn her alive, in what can only be described as some kind of occult ritual. How could she possibly confuse this for merely a fire getting out of control?

It seemed no one was going to believe Deirdre. Just a happy little festival where a little fire went wrong - giving her many 3rd degree burns - wasn't going to cut it. It would make more sense to the average person, but she simply had no memory to support it. Crazy people tried to kill her. She wasn't the one who was crazy! There were evil people in this world, and there were crazy people as well. Was it really so irrational to believe that a crazy cult would exist?

But still... as her mental faculties returned to her in full function once more, she decided to be thankful for what she had and just let it go. After all, if what she experienced, or thought she experienced was true... Emberhead was no more. And at least, she supposed, they wouldn't be hurting anyone else. Besides, she wasn't fond of the idea of being locked up in a mental institution, or being drugged.

Spoiler: another ooc
    Show
    Personally, I'm not comfortable writing the whole thing off as "it never happened". I just can't believe such an experience could be easily erased. Now maybe if she had some serious head trauma...

Deirdre smiled at the older man, happy to have some company. It was rather dull being in a hospital, after all (and just think, modern hospitals are pretty bad too, and usually they have TVs!).

"No, not busy at all. I have all the time in the world..." she says with a smile. Despite nearly being killed, she was in quite a happy and peaceful mood. Perhaps, because she managed to push her old memories back. But, she kept telling herself she was safe now. Everything was alright now. She was even in Arkham. Soon, soon, after she recovered, she could try her hand as an actress... assuming the burns didn't...

Deirdre was worried about how her burns would recover. She hated the idea of them being with her for the rest of her life. She hoped it wouldn't ruin everything... She inhaled deeply, an otherwise peaceful and relaxing action, trying to tell herself it would all be fine, but wound up coughing a bit. Then she says, "You can stay as long as you want. My name is Deirdre, by the way."

She closes the book and gives the man her full attention.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man comes in, shakes your hand formally, only to sit down rather slowly and give a deep release of breath as he does. "Sorry, that must be my sixty years catching up to me!"
    He then smiles. "I'm Mr. Merriweather, Rupert Merriweather, and it is a pleasure to meet you Dierdre."
    He then looks you up and down. "Although, I must say, and I'm sure you wish the same, but I would've rather meet under more favorable circumstances."
    He breathes deeply before raising his hands placidly. "If something unspeakable happened, I understand, but given the dearth of subjects to have riveting discourse on within hospitals, may I perchance ask what were the causes of such injuries?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-06 at 12:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre inhales this time, and it seems as if she has tensed up, holding her breath. The smile on her face quickly vanishes.

"Burns. They're 3rd-degree burns from a fire," she says tersely.

"Are you sure you cannot think of anything better to talk about? What is it that you do, Rupert? Do you have any family?" Her smile slowly returns, if not all the way. Almost as if it was a game.

'See, it's not that hard, is it?'

Spoiler: edit ooc
    Show
    Is NPCs rolling for skills like psychology a thing? If so, I have something for Rupert to try.

Psychology: fail or succeed, it is clear that Deirdre doesn't want to talk about her injury.
    Spoiler: success result
    Show
    Given Deirdre's apparent lack of emotional stress (such as sobbing) and her deft maneuvering into a different subject matter, it doesn't appear that she wishes to avoid the subject because it is particularly painful to talk about. There seems to be some other reason why she is avoiding the subject.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-06 at 01:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Merriweather simply avoids the subject of her injuries, but his smile grows as he notices Deirdre's smile. "Well of course there are other subjects we can cover. I simply meant that most topics related to the environment we're currently in are a tiny bit, well, boring. Nevertheless, as for my occupation, I'm retired. However, I used to be an anthropologist, studying ancient cultures such as Ancient Egypt or the Roman Empire."

He then stares off out the window, "As for my family, well, my wife Agnes, bless her heart, is one of the kindest people I know. I also have a son, Bertrand." You notice his gaze turns almost remorseful as he mentions his son. But he quickly looks back towards you with the same smile on his face. "And what about you, Deirdre, what is your trade?"
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    'See, it's not that hard, is it?'
    Hmmm...? Is this Deirdre's inner thoughts, or are you talking about me?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-06 at 10:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"An anthropologist? Ancient Egypt? Why, that sounds positively fascinating!" Deirdre says, and her eyes light up. He could likely talk about his studies with her for hours... far more time than he said he had.

"As for me... well," she sighs. "I wouldn't quite say I have an occupation yet. I was coming to Arkham, in fact, by coach or train. I was looking to try to start up a career as an actress... Hmm. Funnily enough I wound up here anyway, but in a hospital bed....

Her thoughts were drifting back to what happened to her before, and she was clearly becoming more morose. She changed the subject again, but perhaps not to something happier.

"I don't mean to bother you, and you don't have to say anything either... But what's wrong with your son? Did.. something happen?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-06 at 01:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man chuckles as you comment on the fascinating nature of his particular field of expertise. "Indeed, imagining what it must have been like for those ancient cultures has always given me a rush."

He then lets you finish as you discuss how you ended up here, but decides not to push it further. However, as he hears actress you notice an idea seem to come to mind. "Why, if you have no other plans, I happen to know of a play that's being put on: The Haunting of Agatha Mae I think it's called. They just posted an open call for auditions! I do not know when you shall be getting out of here, but when you do, that could be something of interest, no?"

Then as the conversation turns towards his son, he strokes his wispy beard. "Well, let's just say that in my life, I have seen many things, especially in my studies. However, my son is a man of logic and reason, apects that make him a stellar lawyer mind you, but I'm afraid that in this day and age, there are some things that our science has yet been unable to grasp, and these things might just shake him to his core."
    He then shakes his head. "In Ancient Egypt, a vast majority of the population were concerned of the mystic arts, it gave them stability and security in life knowing that there were divine beings somewhere watching over them. Nowadays, with the Great War and new movements in culture and science, I am afraid that my son, like many others, has placed his faith in reason, and I only wanted to prepare him for a day where that faith could be tested." He then looks down solemnly.
    "But I feel as if I am maybe boring you with the story of an estranged father-son duo. Let us speak of less dour topics. Do you perhaps know anyone in Arkham, a place to stay after your recovery, perchance?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-06 at 02:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

At the mention of a play, Deirdre's eyes light up, even more so than before. "Wow, really!? That sounds like the perfect opportunity! And just imagine! Even if I still have burn scars.. well, it would look awfully fitting for a person that's supposed to be dead!"

She begins to chuckle, probably the happiest she's been while thinking about her burns, but started a fit of coughing. "That... that must still be the smoke.... Well. If they only just called for auditions, maybe I could still make it. The doctors and nurses are supposed to try and get me out of bed today, see if I can walk around...."

Rupert then explains about the dynamics between him and his son. Deirdre listens intently, but as the man courteously refrained from prodding into her little 'accident', she also fought back the urge to ask him questions about his son.

But it's when Rupert asks where Deirdre might be staying, that's when overall, her happy demeanor shatters. She.. looks like she's staring at the bodies of her dead family, sick, like she's about to vomit.

"I... I.. no. I didn't know anyone here. I was... I had luggage.. all my money.. where. It was.." It was all probably burned to ash or ditched somewhere deep in the woods by that devious coach driver, Silas. "It's gone! Everything's gone! I can't audition for a play! I got no place to stay, no money for food, not even.." She looks down and, perhaps for the first time paid close attention to what she was wearing: a hospital gown. The charred dress was maybe held somewhere for her, or more likely given its state, thrown away. "I don't even have anything to wear! How am I - how am I even supposed to get back home???" She begins sobbing hysterically.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Merriweather looks taken aback by this reaction, and looks out to see if there's anyone else around, only to get up out of the chair and approach with his hands comfortingly. "Deirdre, look, whatever nastiness happened previously, that is all over now. You are safe, you are ok, that is what matters."

He then pauses and looks around again, only to continue. "Look, I happen to have several friends in this town who owe me a favor or two. I'm certain that I can help you back on your feet. It will most certainly not do to have a young woman such as yourself so frightened for her future. You have your whole life ahead of you, don't you worry!" He then pats her shoulders, and despite the pain from the burns, it does feel soothing through all of this to know that at least someone seems to have her back.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-06 at 03:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre looks up, after hearing Mr. Merriweather's kind words and feeling his comforting touch. Her sobbing abates, slowly, but is replaced with more coughing.

"I'm sorry... I ... I can't believe I never realized this until now..."

Still sniffling, as she tried to get herself under control, she said, "It's alright.. I couldn't expect a complete stranger to.. to go through such lengths for me. Maybe.. maybe I could just.. if I could send a telegraph to my parents, maybe they could send me some money..."

But from the sound of her voice, it seemed like even Deirdre was doubting if her parents would come through for her. And what would she tell them?? Oh, if only Mr. Merriweather knew...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-06 at 08:58 PM. Reason: minor ocd fixes

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Merriweather shakes his head. "My dear, you must agree with me, why we're at least acquaintances now, no?"

He then chuckles half-heartedly, trying to brighten up the defeated young woman. "But, in all honesty, I consider myself a good judge of character, and I value good-heartedness, and it seems quite clear from our conversation that you are just trying to make it in the world. There's a hotel on the corner of High and Garrison. Tell the man there, Mr. Erving, that I requested personally for you to head there. We go back for quite some time, and I'm sure he would be willing to offer you a place there until you can get back on your feet, which I am certain will happen in no time at all."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre began crying again. Or was she laughing? Maybe tears of joy, as they call it. "Oh, I... Thank you, Mr. Merriweather. Thank you, Rupert. I swear to God, I may aspire to be an actress, but it isn't an act!"

Deirdre may have thought that last line was more of a joke, as she managed a smile through her teary eyes. She tried to lean forward a bit to hug the man. "You are so kind.. bless you! Bless your soul!"

After things calm down in the moment, she invites the man to stay and talk as long as he wants.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rupert looks rather bewildered to be suddenly hugged by this young woman, but nevertheless, soon eases into it. As he sits back down into his chair it's not too long before he begins to speak of his most favorite subject, Anthropology. As you are soon enraptured by his tale concerning the evolution of Egyptian religion, including the period of Akhenaten, and the transformation of an entire empire into a monotheistic cult of sorts.
    Eventually, Mr. Merriweather is just getting to the point where the Romans and Egyptians began to exchange ideas as well as cults, including the widespread Roman worship of the Egyptian deity of maternal devotion, kingship, and magic, when a doctor calls out to him. He looks over and then turns back to you with sadness in his eyes. "Well Deirdre, I'm afraid this is where I'm going to have to leave you... but, I greatly enjoyed this conversation. Call me whenever you would like, I know a splendid cafe with the most fabulous of cookies just around the corner!"
    He then takes out a scrap of paper and writes while noting: "Again, if you need anything at all, you can contact me at Crestwood 432. I wish you a good morrow, actress." He gives a wink as he finishes his statement and departs into the doctor's office.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-06 at 06:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre looks a bit disappointed, but she knew he said he had about an hour. Time flies, doesn't it? She nods and says, "Goodbye. Thank you for visiting! And thank you.. for your help..."

She smiles softly to Mr. Merriweather as he leaves, but it fades later as she finds herself alone with a collection of cookbooks. For the time being, their subject matter just seemed.. boring. But then again, she had already perused through them all at least once...

Feeling boredom and perhaps exhaustion creeping on her mind from the lengthy social interaction, especially considering her state, she soon adjusts her position in bed, albeit somewhat painfully, and drifts off into a sleep.

Maybe she will dream of Rome or Egypt...?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-06 at 08:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, note that there's generally going to be a week by week or so time-skip for me to describe external events and how they pertain to the game at large. If there's anything at all that you'd like to change in these vinettes, just let me know.

Arkham, 8:52 PM, September 5th, 1921

You dream of Egypt, but it's not of ancient egypt, at least, you don't think it is. Instead, your body walks (or does it float?) down stairs as they open up into a massive chamber held aloft ebon pillars, and a pit in the center of the room, filled with... squirming, moving, leeches. You feel like you were not able to truly focus on any of the details, with the exception of the contents of the pit.

Arkham, 12:32 AM, September 12th, 1921

The burns have almost entirely healed. You might not ever walk exactly the same way, but there's no serious permanent damage, even the scars are almost unnoticeable. Ah, the wonders of modern medicine! You've spent most of the last week or so reading and talking. Mr. Merriweather happened to come by every now and again and tell you yet another fascinating story, whether it was the competitions between the magicians of ancient Egypt, or the near-perfect preservation of ancient culture in Pompeii and what humanity has learned from it.
    However, eventually it is time for you to be dismissed, but as you're brought out, you're handed a new set of clothes. "Your clothes, paid for by an anonymous donor... you may go." The attendant says with a long nasaly voice.
    Confused, you also inquire as to the bill itself. "Paid as well... you may go." The attendant doesn't even bother to look up from her magazine but instead simply waves you in the direction of the door.

Arkham, 3:18 PM, September 12th, 1921

You walk up and down the unfamiliar streets, searching for High and Garrison until you eventually find it: The Greatview Inn. Stepping inside feels like a literal breath of fresh (this place must be air-conditioned during the hot summer days), and as you meet with the receptionist, and subsequently mention Mr. Merriweather's name, she smiles and nods. "He's a rather kind man isn't he. He always helps out around town, of course, his son won't have any of that. Anyway, here's your room!"

After being handed the key by the receptionist you slowly make your way up to your new room and fall upon the only thing that matters: the bed.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-07 at 02:33 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

In the Hospital:

Deirdre was quite surprised that not only did someone donate clothes to her, but paid her entire medical bills as well! She had an idea of who it could have been, but honestly it could have been anyone, really. Thinking about it all, being here alive and well, and what little was left of the burns was still very likely to fade over time... It was an amazing gift.

One small community tricked her and greedily, forcibly attempted to end her life for their benefit. Another community nursed her back to health and voluntarily offered her charity. Even after the bad she went through, to have such wonderful people help her and offer her real friendship and kindness.. she felt blessed.

But the nasally teenager engrossed in her magazines did not seem to comprehend this (I bet she's chewing gum too). Or.. maybe this sort of thing happened all the time and she just wasn't impressed anymore. Deirdre thanked the attendant anyway and went off to a private room to get changed.

The clothes selection was.. well, Deirdre didn't particularly fancy any of it. It wasn't terrible, but then again she tended to be picky and prefer different styles and fabrics. Maybe being a novice fashionista skewed her view a bit, as she always was trying to go for the perfect look which suited and expressed herself. But she had very little to work with... Sighing to herself, Deirdre told herself to stop being such a thankless wretch, and she finally decided on some articles to put on. She tried to observe herself through a small mirror and merely shrugged. At least she wasn't naked or only wearing a hospital gown.

But in the back of her head, some nagging feeling reminded her. She remembered to ask about something, which had been bothering her. She approached the attendant. "Um, hi again, sorry..."

Deirdre attempted a smile, knowing she was disturbing someone from their magazine. "Do you know if I was admitted to this hospital wearing a dress with poppies? Would you still happen to have it?"

Later that day in Arkham:

Deirdre strolled down the streets of Arkham at a very leisurely pace. She took in all the sights and sounds, trying to note streets and the names of shops. She couldn't possibly hope to remember it all. But mainly, she walked so slow because it was still a bit uncomfortable to walk.

Eventually she finds the Greatview Inn. The receptionist was nice, much different from the one at the hospital. Though Deirdre looks perplexed at what she says. "What do you mean? He doesn't like it when Mr. Merriweather helps people?" It was odd. Maybe she just misheard or misinterpreted what she meant.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-09-07 at 03:13 AM. Reason: proofreading gah

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The teenager doesn't even look up from her magazine as she gets up and walks off into the back, still gripping her magazine when she returns and hands you a single piece of fabric, with the ends having been seared off. "You mean this?" You notice that the fabric seems to have the image of a poppy sewn into it.

______ (Because time is weird)

The receptionist looks off thoughtfully. "Helping people's not really the issue, but everyone knows Bertrand Merriweather likes his money, and his father's 'assistance' usually involves spending it. Bertrand obviously's pretty upset 'bout that. But hey, family dynamics're always weird..." She then looks you over. "Erm, miss, do you have any bags that I need to carry?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Back in the hospital:

Deirdre looks at the cloth curiously. The poppy, the searing! That had to be it! But she thinks out loud, "That's all that's left?"

She takes the piece of fabric, staring at it, thoughts roiling around in her head and memories flooding back. She eventually asks, "Yes, this must be it... there is nothing more? I'm sorry, it just... had sentimental value to me..."

At the hotel:

Deirdre nods at the receptionist's explanation, deciding not to pry into the matter further. With only what amounted to a paper bag containing one spare outfit (and no hat or spare shoes) and the charred remains of another dress, she realizes that the situation looks strange.

"Erm... No. I don't have anything else..." Deirdre admits. "It's... the main reason Mr. Merriweather wanted to help me." It felt a bit embarrassing, but she shrugged, literally trying to shrug it off.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"No." The teenager doesn't even give you the courtesy of a longer explanation, as the bubble she made pops.

______ (let's do the time warp yeah)

The receptionist looks at you with a momentary glance of pity, but that soon washes away as she smiles helpfully. "That's fine, well, here's your room key." She then nods. "I wish you a happy stay!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

hospital time warp yeeea

Deirdre emits a defeated sigh and says, "Alright. Thank you for your time..." But she couldn't help but feel a bit resentful. 'Kids these days.'

She carefully places the scrap of cloth in her bag and leaves the hospital.

At the hotel:

Deirdre manages a warm smile back. "Thank you," she says. Making her way up to her room, she turns the key and heads in. She explored the little accommodations before ultimately taking her shoes off (what a relief!) and taking a small nap.

Show
    I figured I'd leave it up to you to describe what's in the room. A nice bed, a small bath.. wardrobe? Balcony? Desk? Kitchenette?
    I certainly am not expecting a suite. But one can hope lol.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Before landing on the bed Deirdre begins to have a look around the room. It's cozy, with a nice kitchenette suitable for small meals, a writing desk, and against the south wall is a wardrobe. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a bath in the bathroom, merely a shower, but at least it ensures that you'll most certainly be hygienic. Lastly, she notices that her room has a balcony, and as she looks out just for a moment, she sees that in fact, her room does have a great view. Feeling suitably settled in, Deirdre falls onto the bed and rests in its cushiony-goodness.
    ----

Week-long time skip?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-07 at 06:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arkham, 9:07 AM, September 13th, 1921

You awaken to sun shining through the windows, the mid-September heat rather warm as you lie within your bed. You run through the things you have to do today or at least, relatively soon. You'll have to audition, of course, why that was the whole reason of coming to the city in the first place (at least originally).

Arkham, 10:58 AM, September 13th, 1921

You rush up the steps to the theatre. You cannot be late for this audition, especially after that... event led you to miss whatever the other show was. In fact, you wonder if they'll even let you on at all, after all, from what you've gathered, you're one of the last people auditioning, which could be good and all, with the recency effect.

Arkham, 11:47 AM, September 13th, 1921

Well, that was it. It's strange. You recited your audition part, the role of Agatha Mae, but while you did, your mind was on something else: Emberhead. In fact, you cannot seem to get it out of your mind. Eventually, you figured the Orne Library, one of the greatest in the country, would have some answers, and while it does, it's not enough to satiate you.

Arkham, 9:50 AM, September 15th, 1921

You cannot help but feel glad within the confines of the church, it gives you a calming sense of solace, and it's nice to see a Christianity treated with respect, unlike the ruined church in Emberhead. You begin to sing along to Come Unto Him.

Arkham, 3:38 PM, September 16th, 1921

You turn yourself out, ensuring that you're facing both the spirit of Elena, the previous owner of your home, and the "audience" (which at this point is a bunch of chairs). You got the job. Apparently "Professor Merriweather," as he is called here, is close friends with William, the director, and mentioned your vast emotional range.
    You realize that even though many of the people you're acting with are around the same age as you (it is a college/university town after all), for some reason you feel nearly twice their age. Maybe it's because of what you experienced, or maybe it's just you, either way, you're unsure.

Arkham, 11:27, September 18th, 1921

As you rush all around Bee's Diner collecting orders and waiting on tables, you can't help but feel a sense of normalcy return to your life. All the chaos in Emberhead seems like it was so long ago. A whiff of warm toast greets your nostrils as you grab a platter of bacon and eggs to serve to a hungry customer. You're rather lucky you managed to get this, as it turns out Jim (the owner) was putting up a "Help Wanted" sign right as you walked through its doors.

Arkham, 6:27 PM, September 20th, 1921

You've managed to find a small apartment next to Miskatonic University on Lich St.. It's a bit cramped, but cozy, and it is not like you had too much to bring with you.
    Every now and then, Mr. Merriweather (or Professor Merriweather apparently) calls you up and asks if you'd like to head to a cafe and chat about how things have been going. The conversations surely serve to brighten your day and are intellectually stimulating, despite the fact that you're not really a student of history, you're both curious and talkative folk.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-08 at 10:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    After taking into account the questions and comments in the OOC thread, let's continue!