Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 152
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Let me in. Let me in. Let me in --

    Cartwright's teeth grit against the idea of the message as much as the gore as the monster rose and rose. She had no intention of doing that. Rosa's message was received, but it wasn't making sense to her. Not here. Not now.

    Not when letting it have the diner was letting it in. Her keys were lobbed gently to the hacker.

    "Get me my rifle from the trunk, please."

    Calm. Like this young constable was a force of will all unto herself. There was no time to waste. A second one was coming up from the doctor's throat. The young cop turned, her service Glock in her hand in a smooth, practiced motion. Her foot was propping the door open to give herself room to move.

    A slow breath. Front sight, front sight, front sight --

    A loud bang, louder than people ever thought it would be. A flash of discharge. A bullet in the air.

    FIREARMS: (6d10)[3][6][7][9][2][2](29) (Dex + Firearms + Specialty) (1 sux + 1L for the light pistol's damage rating is 2L. Please advise if Beaten Down applies.)
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-09-17 at 08:57 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflick View Post
    He runs to his card, taking out his key's he tries to get inside his car and start it. Maybe he can make his way Toronto. away from this hellhole
    Harvey yells at his Brother "Get in the backseat!"

    To Jeremy: "Champ, you staying or leaving? "

    And starts running towards Henry's car opening the passenger door.

    And attempts to enter Henry's car on the passenger side. After entering :
    To Roger: "Who or what the hell is that ?
    Seriously you are getting new friends!"
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2019-09-17 at 05:09 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    "Go," Jeremy snarls at his daughter, not moving his eyes from the horror before him, "I'll be right behind you I promise. I'm not stupid, but I'm gonna make sure you are safe."

    The moment Cat moves for the door, Jeremy is right behind her, shuffling away keeping his face towards the horror in case it started coming for him or his daughter.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa catches the keys, and numbly moves over to the police car with them. Opening the trunk she rummages around for the rifle and whatever the ammunition is carried in. Awkwardly she starts to carry it back to the officer, though she stops outside of the door, far too nervous to step in.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    HENRY

    Having left the madness behind, Henry slid into his car with the precision of many harrowing escapades. There was some fumbling with the keys, however. It was one thing to be shot at by armed guards after a job gone wrong. It was entirely another to see some grotesque manifestation of horror erupting out of some poor sod’s body in front of his very eyes.

    Dimly, Henry was aware of Harvey and his brother half-way to his car. From the frantic look on their faces, and the shouting, it was clear they were desperately hoping Henry would be willing to spirit them away from this place out of the goodness of his heart.

    Even as the key slipped seamlessly into the ignition, Henry heard the banging on the window from Roger and Harvey just outside. Driver turned the ignition and the car sputtered. Again he tried, and this time the engine roared to life.

    But as if on cue, the radio seemed to spark to life as well. As if giving voice to his car.

    <<Hey Bucko! Where ya goin’? Dontcha wanna stay for the party? Yeah. ‘Course ya do!>>

    The voice that spilled from his car stereo was much like the voice that had filled the diner, begging and pleading to be let in. But this one was more personable. More…human. And it began to laugh. The sound was jovial, if a bit manic.

    And that’s when the engine of Driver’s car suddenly went silent. A quick check confirmed to Henry that there was still power to the car. The stereo was still playing. The headlights were still on. It was like something had severed the connection between the engine and the rest of the car.

    Frantically, Henry was cranking the key in the ignition – desperately trying to get it to turn over. In his rearview mirror, he saw that other vehicle fast approaching. It would only be minutes at the breakneck speed it was traveling.

    They had just overtaken the street lights as they blinked out one by one.

    At least their car was still working.


    HARVEY

    The ******* was going to leave them there.

    That was the first thought that ran through Harvey’s mind when he realized that Henry’s doors were locked and he wasn’t letting him or his brother into the car.

    Glancing up from the locked door, Harvey met Roger’s frantic gaze for a half moment before the muffled voice spoke loudly from the car stereo within. Then the engine just…shut down. From the reaction of the driver, it was clear he hadn’t cut the engine himself.

    It was…something…else.

    ”****, Harvey! Look!” Roger yelled, pointing down the road to the vehicle getting closer and closer. ”Maybe we can snatch a ride with them? At least their car looks like it works!”

    The single, thunderclap retort of the police constable’s pistol sounded from inside the diner and brought with it more screams. From the teenage waitress and the girl who had come in with the muscle bound guy earlier. They were standing just outside the café, frantic and panicked as the bruiser stood in the doorway as if preventing anything from getting out.

    And Harvey caught sight of one of the ladies from the café pulling an honest-to-god rifle from the back of the cop car in a desperate hurry.


    JEREMY, ROSA and EVA

    Cat and Rosa had slipped out of the café readily enough, though with Rosa now possessed of the police constables keys to fetch her rifle, Jeremy figured that she’d be returning soon enough. Tanis slipped past Jeremy frantically, leaving only Eva, Jeremy and the likely dead Doctor Edmundson in the café.

    Eva had raised her service pistol and took careful aim. She had to make this shot count.

    The pistol’s retort in the café was deafening, momentarily blotting out the pleading voice that still seemed to be coming from every available speaker in the place.

    That bullet flew true, and struck the hideous thing square in that polypy eye. It burst like an overripe pimple, and spilled its phlegmy contents out onto the checkered linoleum where it began to sizzle and hiss as if it were acid.

    The starfish shaped monstrosity quivered and convulsed for a moment, before flopping noiseomly onto the floor. Even as another was pulling itself out of Edmundson’s throat.

    And again a bulge rose in his throat as the second pulled itself free on a dozen whip-like tendrils.

    What the hell was going on?!

    Eva caught a glimpse out of the corner of her eye of Rosa, now holding her police-issue rifle just inside the doorway. The Colt Canada C7 was a reliable rifle, found almost exclusively in the hands of the RCMP. Where municipal police often carried a shotgun in their service cars, the RCMP in smaller towns focused more on a longer range firearm.

    The second of the creatures unfurled upon the floor, took one look at its fallen sibling and slithered over towards it. Those long tendrils reached out, tangling and ensnaring the corpse before pulling it close. As it did so, the petal-like limbs began to ooze together as if devouring or consuming the one Eva had shot.

    With Rosa and Jeremy in the door, and Eva still in the café with gun trained on the things, the flickering lights suddenly went dark. Not with the explosive popping of bulbs. But a simple absence of electrical flow to their fixtures.

    The only sound was the wetness of the creature, the gurgling of Edmundson that had begun to slowly quiet, and the voice that still carried across the sound of the speakers, radios and Rosa’s cellphone.

    <<Hey lady! That’s not very nice, y’know? What did I ever do t’you, eh? How ‘bout you just put down the boomstick and….Let me in!>>


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show


    The Beat Down condition isn't necessary as of...yet.

    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    The shot was true, blowing out the eye of the creature, popping it, dropping it. She reacquired, taking aim at the next one even as her gorge began to rise at the sight of Doctor Edmundson's body being used as a host for starfish monsters. A nod of thanks to Rosa, even as the creature began to...

    ...Jesus. It was eating.

    Now. Now was the moment, while it was busy. Something was important to this man, something before he had died. Something they couldn't afford to leave behind right now, not if it would contribute here and now.

    And so with a grunt of effort, Eva Cartwright fired one more shot into the gestalt creature and charged forward, grabbing the briefcase and getting set to make a break for it...
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-09-19 at 12:22 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    FIREARMS: (6d10)[4][7][7][7][4][1](30) Dex + Firearms + Spec to kill the creature, and time to grab the briefcase.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa relinquishes the rifle gladly and backs away, she calls out, "Does anyone have any kind of signal to call EMS? My phone went crazy and the police lady only got static on her radio."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver could hardly care about the banging on his windows. This isnt the first time it's happened. Inside a car, he was safe. he was home. he was free...

    Why isnt the car starting? Driver thought looking down at the wheel. The key's in the ignition. He turned it twice, he even kicked at it! The car's supposed to bloody start so why isnt it! The world around him is only getting darker, and the lights of the other car are getting closer...that car works.

    He looks to his radio "Sorry, havnt been much for radio shows" he says in a surprisingly calm manner as he pushes the power button...and reaches into the glove compartment, grabbing his pistol and cocking it. "I'm more the cut and run sort of bloke, but in times like these, it's good to know how to shoot. GET AWAY FROM THE BLOODY DOOR" he yells, as he kicks open the door and tries to start making his way toward the Dinner..with that..man.

    Driver knew how to end this. The easiest way. Back in the days of old, they'd just amputate the infected limb. Or leave the sick person to die.

    In Driver's case? He'll just execute the bastard.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    "What the .."
    Harvey has no intention to stay for any party. Nor does he intend to die.
    After Driver pulls a gun Harvey throws his hands up and stands still as long as Driver is looking at him. While Driver heads back into the direction of the Diner Harvey knows Roger needs to get somewhere safe. And God help him right now Harvey could only think of one "safe" place. The backseat of a police car. Watching the Lady open the trunk of the car triggered instincts.
    Harvey runs to the police car honest to God praying that the lady maybe pushed the wrong button on the car key so she unlocked all the doors instead of just the trunk. Harvey knows that happens to people because well reasons.
    He tries to open the backseat door knowing that even if it does open he wants Roger to hide flat on the seat so there will only be space for one of them. And that will be Roger.
    To Roger: " **** I hope so but maybe they are the maniacs with guns so get in here and hide!" Pointing at the Backseat of the police car.

    It takes a second in this chaos for Harvey to realize Rosa is talking. He checks his own phone to see if he can make the call.

    Assuming he can't:
    Answering ROSA with a voice half born of desperation and half confused feeling overwhelmed:
    " **** do you want me to start a fire? Bring liquor cause a lighter is all I got and fire they will see. Explosions they will hear."


    Thinking:And maybe it will kill whatever the hell that thing was or is.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    "****," Jeremy cursed under his breath. This was a lot more than he had bargained for, especially now that the diner had become a firing range. Strangely enough, it was the guns that unnerved the retired fighter more (not that he realized it clearly in the moment); you could punch a monster in the face, but once gun's got involved, Jeremy's fists meant nothing.

    With his daughter safely outside, Jeremy calls to Rosa, "I'm getting the **** out of here. Coming?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Again, the retort of Eva's service pistol is loud even amidst the chaos. Whether through nerves, burgeoning anxiety and panic, or a simple misfire the bullet missed; the floor splintered as the nine milimeter round tore into the linoleum. But the thunderclap of gunfire was enough to startle the second of the hideous things, and it lurched awkwardly away from its partially consumed kin.

    That was the moment Eva was waiting for, and the constable capitalized on the opening. The briefcase was heavy as she hauled it up from the floor next to Edmundon's spasming body. Even as Eva turned away, she saw the helpless terror held in the good doctors eyes.

    It couldn't be...he was still alive....somehow....

    With rifle and reinforced briefcase in tow, Eva hurried towards the door - even as Driver was forcing his way in with his own pistol in hand.

    Jeremy and Rosa stood by the door as Driver pushed past them, almost colliding with Eva as she made her own swift escape. The two bystanders took the opportunity to slip out quickly, Eva hot on their heels. Soon enough, the three were outside in the cool night air.

    Still inside, Driver was able to take careful aim at the good doctor twitching on the floor. The second of the starfish creatures was slithering and scuttling its way back to its dead kin to resume the feast. It didn't register the potential threat of Driver as he leveled his pistol at the scene before him.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    @Shadowflick: Give me a killing blow roll if you're aiming at Edmundson. If you're going to shoot the beastie, then count its defense as 3 for the roll.

    Also, as this is a prologue, I'm not going to be as strict about things but I'd ask whether or not you'd feel that a Breaking Point for shooting Edmundson would be appropriate? I could argue it's premeditated, but then again...he shouldn't be alive to begin with. I'll let you make the call in this instance. If you opt for it to be a Breaking Point, it's a Resolve+Composure test +1 for your current Integrity, -4 for Killing in Self Defense, +1 for Protecting Himself.



    Outside, Harvey and Roger made it to the police cruiser. Luck was with Harvey tonight! Rosa hadn't locked it again when she had finished looking through the trunk for the rifle. Roger slipped into the back seat first, followed swiftly by Harvey. They closed the door over as quietly as they could, trying to avoid any undue notice.

    The dying streetlights continued, until finally the chain broke. One of the street lights exploded in a shower of sparks, and the sequence ended, leaving the Cafe sitting in a small halo of artificial light maybe a dozen or so meters beyond the perimeter of the parking lot.

    Rosa, Jeremy and Eva found themselves awash in a sea of black. The night seemed to be pressing in on that small bastion of illumination, and even the normally visible lights of Terrace were obscured beyond a slight glow.

    The vehicle swiftly approaching was visible now. It wasn't a pick-up truck like the ones that the maniacs Roger had described were driving. It appeared to be an old jeep with the top down and a handful of shadowy figures holding on for dear life as they ripped towards the Cafe. It was too hard to see them in the dark but they could make out at least three.

    One thing that did draw the eye was the sparkle. Like the glint of glass catching the light, strange shapes covered the vehicle in designs that were somehow geometric, even without being anything that was found in even a college-level mathematics course. Whether it was shiny paint, or some metal filigree was uncertain - but the small island of light around the cafe seemed to be reflected in those designs.

    One thing was for sure, staring at them made one's head hurt.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    "Thank you," Eva said to Rosa as she hustled out with the rifle and case in tow. The other guy with the pistol was going in, but she had far more immediate concerns than his illegal possession of a firearm under Canadian law right this second. Maybe he was going to shoot the other starfish. That was in her option plan for a moment from now, once the briefcase was secured in her vehicle.

    And so it was. She put the case down in her open trunk, closing the trunk. The other vehicle that was rampaging toward them, burning streetlights behind them, drew her attention. The geometric sparkling, the confusing pattern that made her eyes sore, and somehow, the car was working even as the radio and the lights were not...?

    The constable posted up using her car as cover and peered through the scope of her rifle at the oncoming Jeep, trying to get a better sense of what they were dealing with in the car. Every moment, every action, drove out the vision of absolute terror in the eyes of Doctor Edmundson; every choice that drove her forward kept her from having to remember the insane impossibility of what she had seen.

    Were the occupants threats? Did she see firearms or other weapons? Did they look frickin' insane? Nothing could be ruled out: what new madness was crashing in, into their little world? Or was it something more mundane, more sane...?

    PERCEPTION THROUGH SCOPE: (6d10)[10][5][6][7][6][4](38)
    EMPATH MERIT (Wits + Empathy): (6d10)[5][10][3][8][5][5](36)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    PERCEPTION 10 AGAIN: (1d10)[6](6)
    EMPATHY 10 AGAIN: (1d10)[1](1)

    Here's an extra die rolled if either ten explodes a second time: (1d10)[8](8)

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Bloody hell this was a disgusting scene. just the sight caused Driver to feel bile rising in his throat. Black...starfish? Leaking out of this old fat man and..eating each other? What the hell was Canada? Why did he have to end up here? He grits his teeth, this wouldnt be the first time he would be taking a life. Though, in this case, he truly believes this might be a mercy killing, if this man wasn't dead already. If the source of these things die...maybe that will stem the tide. He ***** his gun, takes aim...and fires


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Gun: (8d10)[3][6][8][7][1][3][1][8](37)

    Breaking Point!: (4d10)[4][1][8][9](22)

    As for Justification about the breaking point: Driver has certainly killed people before, he's been in shoot outs and hits people with his car. Killing him isnt a breaking point for him. What IS a breaking point however, is watching this old, fat man, snap like a twig and twist like taffy as he vomits out living, writhing black forms that seem to eat eachother....and instead of running, he's shooting it in the head



  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    It had taken a moment, but Jeremy finally recognized the cop from the diner who had escaped with him as Eva. She had swung by the gym a few times as well. He was about to say something to her, when he realized he needed to find his daughter.

    If his daughter was safe and not too distraught, he would lead her to the cover that Eva had taken behind her car. "Hey, wait a second," the brawler says stupidly, "I know you right? You look different in your gym clothes, but we've uh, we've sparred before, haven't we?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey turned to Roger:
    "Keep your head down and be quiet. We are going to get out of here."
    Harvey also hid most of his body and peeked outside with only a little bit of his head showing. Trying to see the entrance of the Cafè and the car that was driving towards us.
    Harvey locked the doors from the inside if possible.

    Description:
    This occupant has no firearms and looks scared but curious.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2019-09-24 at 11:00 AM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Hidden in the back seat of the police cruiser, Harvey kept his younger brother pressed low to keep out of sight. It took a few frantic minutes of searching, but eventually Harvey realized that there was no method to control the locking or unlocking of the doors in the back of the cruiser. The best he could hope for is to hold the door closed with all his might if someone were trying to force their way in.

    Outside the car, Eva bunkered down and aligned the scope of the rifle with the oncoming vehicle. It was indeed an old jeep; surplus from the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry regiment most likely. It was painted a matte green, though in the darkness it was hard to make out the exact shade. What was distinct against the matte paint and oppressive darkness was the designs. They were done with an artist’s touch, that much was obvious. Like metallic silver paint mixed with copious amounts of glitter, meticulously drawn and curved across the entirety of the jeep.

    The occupants, of which now Eva could tell there were three, didn’t seem particularly mad looking. The driver was a broad-shouldered man with dark skin and a shaved head. He looked like he was, maybe, middle aged, but even sitting behind the wheel Eva could make out his rigid posture and the strain of muscles beneath an army issue tank top. In the passenger seat was a much older man. Mid-fifties, in the very least, with a windswept mane of wiry grey hair and a thick mustache. Arms covered in a tweed jacket held what appeared to be a small wooden case against his chest. It reminded Eva of the old ingredient boxes snake oil salesmen used to carry back during the Pioneer days of Canadian history. The last person was in the back, clinging to the jeeps roll cage for dear life. It was a woman – maybe of Middle-Eastern or Mediterranean descent – and while she wore what appeared to be a simple athletic top and leggings, Eva caught the curved shape of a sword slung across her back. While unusual amidst a sea of strange, Eva didn’t get the impression they were here to cause a lot of grief. But their arrival, the fact their vehicle still worked, and their general appearance was still another piece to this puzzle.

    The screeching of their tires was so close now. The jeep was only moments away.

    While Jeremy stood protectively near Rosa, Cat and Tanis, they watched as the jeep finally peeled into the halo of light around the café and swerved rather abruptly towards the parking lot.

    Inside the diner, however, Driver was horrified by the scene. The deceased remnants of the first creature was almost entirely consumed by the second and it was growing in size so fast that it was visible as tumescent growths pulsed along its back. While Driver hadn’t seen it fully before, it looked like it might have been almost double in size now.

    And another was pulling itself from Edmundson’s throat.

    Driver raised his pistol, and took the shot. The bullet sunk into the starfish, splattering the linoleum behind it with a grotesque, oily sludge. It had torn one of the star-shaped arms off the creature, which swiftly turned its greasy, beady eye towards the new threat. The remaining arms of the starfish seemed to split down the sides, revealing hundreds of tiny razor-like teeth, turning the entire inside around the eye into something faintly reminiscent of a lamprey’s maw.

    The shriek that rose in the diner was painful to Driver’s ears.

    Spoiler: On Breaking Points
    Show


    I wasn’t going to make people roll for Breaking Points during the prologue for seeing the horror in the first place. Didn’t want to be overwhelming right off the bat. To clarify a single point, I am using the Breaking Point rules from the CoD 2e book instead of the one from HtV as it is still 1e and I feel they’ve streamlined it a bit better in 2e.

    That being said, Shadowflick I’m totally down for you going ahead with the Breaking Point for Driver. You got two successes on that roll, so that’s a success. A success indicates your sanity is intact, but it gives one of these conditions (or a different one, with my approval): Guilty, Spooked or Shaken.

    I don’t imagine Driver feeling guilty for shooting Edmundson, given the circumstances. But spooked or shaken seems apt.

    Also, just a note for everyone to remember! If you fail a roll, you can opt to make it a Dramatic Failure to gain a Beat. For simplicity sake, if you’d like to take the beat please let me know after you make your initial post so I know if it’ll be Dramatic in my following post.

    Thanks!



    Back outside, the jeep squealed to a rather harsh stop. The driver hopped out deftly, revealing army camo pants and solid, steel-shod work boots. He appeared of African descent, and pulled a good hickory baseball bat out of the backseat. The end was studded in crooked nails, and wrapped in razor wire.

    The woman, who was most assuredly of Iranian or Syrian origins, slipped out as well, followed by the older man in the tweed jacket. He hobbled out awkwardly, though with some urgency. It created a strange mix of frailty and frenzy. He held a cane in one hand that was gnarled as if arthritic, and the small wooden box in the other.

    As the three exited the vehicle, the man in the tweed jacket looked about the gathered bystanders with wise, grey eyes shadowed in his eye sockets by far too many laugh-lines and wrinkles.

    ”Goodness me. This is not the result I had hoped for.” He spoke with a heavy British accent. ”Lee, Saleh, please be dears and go clean up the mess inside while I speak to our new…friends here, yes?”

    The black man and the woman nodded silently, before making their way towards the café. The woman pulled the sword from her back. It was slender and curved – a scimitar – and quite old if one was knowledgeable in such things. Persian too. An antique from the heyday of the Persian Empire.

    Then the older man turned to Jeremy, Rosa, Eva, and their companions with a friendly smile.

    ”Quite the eventful night, is it not? No, no. I am certain had anyone told you that you would come face to face with the profane spawn of some filthy god’s dream, you would have stayed home. Am I right, or am I right?”
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-09-25 at 10:48 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa is still standing outside of the diner, unsure of what to do when the jeep screeches up. She narrows her eyes at the older man, "You know something about this then. From the sound of it you might even have had a hand in these events. I think you had best begin by explaining who the hell you are."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver stood there, staring down the maw of an infinitely hungry creature. Teeth gnashing, eye-rolling. He...this had to be a nightmare. He felt his gun shake in his hand, sweat rolling down his temple and dripping into his collar. Is this ho his life is gonna end?

    If it was? He wouldn't be known as the bloody coward who ran. "WHY DONT YOU JUST F**ING DIE"


    Spoiler: Roll!
    Show

    I think Spooked would fit for this instance! But, Instead of running, Driver's going to stand his ground and empty his pistol into it

    (6d10)[4][4][1][9][2][1](21) (Guns! with -2 from spooked?)

    (2d10)[3][6](9) (THe other two rolls just in case there needed)


    Last edited by Shadowflick; 2019-09-25 at 11:46 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    "Hi, Jeremy," Eva replied to the fighter as she gazed through the scope. It was flat, distant, like her eyes, as she stared through the scope at the oncoming Jeep. Satisfied that the occupants were not in fact coming in hot to murder them all, she decamped from her corner to knock with a knuckle on the rear right window of her car, mouthing a 'what are you doing?' at them. She didn't open the door. Cop cars didn't open from the inside anyway. They could chill there for a minute. They had questions to answer about a mass shooting.

    Holding the rifle idly before her in two hands, she looked on as the vehicle peeled in. The woman has a sword; the old guy had a little box; the soldier guy had muscles. In any other situation, this would probably be a detain-and-arrest. Hell, it might still be, but as the old guy talked and sent his dudes inside, the young cop accepted that right this second, other people who knew what the hell they were doing with all this were here. Another shot from within. Driver's shout. He had help coming.

    Which meant she could take stock. Breathe for a sec. Try to make sense of all this.

    "It's certainly not traffic stops and petty thefts," the constable replied. "I've got two people talking at a frickin' diner about a mass shooting, an old doc pulling the Exorcist in the diner and puking up starfish monsters, the lights are all going out, and my radio has been intercepted by something out of Little Shop of Horrors asking me to let it in."

    She glanced over her shoulder at the diner.

    "But she's got the right of it. So, let's start with the basics. I'm Constable Cartwright. Could I see some ID, please? And what do you mean, the results you hoped for?"

    Welcome to investigative detention, sir. We'll start with the creepy occult starfish puking death, and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by Lokio; 2019-09-25 at 12:41 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Jeremy growls at the indignity of being asked for ID. But he reaches for his wallet in his jeans pocket, even as he says, "Do you really need that kid? Don't you know who I am already?" He pulls out his wallet and clumsily removes his drivers license for review, mumbling, "Just don't look at my age."

    Spoiler: Int + Athletics Roll
    Show
    As requested (5d10)[4][2][3][7][5](21) and 10 again (5d10)[9][8][7][3][2](29)
    EDIT: THat's a failure. Can I ask what the purpose of the roll is? Maybe I'll take a dramatic failure or spend my first WP...
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-09-25 at 06:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey keeps his hand on the door ready to keep it closed. Peaking outside he whispers to Roger:
    "Are those three the ones that shot at people during the party? Keep your hand on that door. And we will make it! "

    He looks around is there a way from the back seat to the front seat inside the car? Or do I have to leave the car to get to the front?

    Harvey listens very closely to the conversation right now and I would roll Perception if necessary to make out details of it.

    Thinking: What kind of wierd religion are they into. I do not now what God dreams about but that for sure was no Angel.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    The older man in the tweed jacket set the small wooden medicine case down on the hood of the strangely painted jeep, and holding his walking stick in his gnarled, arthritic hand began to pat down his jacket.

    ”My apologies!” He said, rather jovially for the situation. ”But I seem to have left any form of ID in my other jacket. But my manners are a bit old fashioned, so….Professor Edwin Sutherland, at your disposal.” He stepped forward and offered his good hand, still strong and intact, to those gathered outside in greeting.

    ”My friends…” Edwin gestured towards the café where his two companions recently disappeared into. ”Are Lee Cooper and Saleh Sati. I’m sure you have many questions, and I assure you I will provide answers to the best my faculties allow. But you may not be particularly happy with the answers.”

    Hanging the cane in the crook of his arm, Professor Sutherland unclasped the small latches that held the antique medicine box closed, and gently slid the lid open. Inside was all manner of strange concoctions. Small glass vials filled with strange colored liquids, bound sprigs of dried herbs, various sticks of chalk, candles and a couple small pocket-edition copies of the King James Bible, the Qur’an, the Tao Te Ching and the Torah.

    After a moment of consideration, he plucked a few small vials from the case with a hum of approval and turned back to the others.

    ”You see, my good folks, you have stumbled – quite unfortunately – into the middle of a bit of a secret conflict. That none of you are mewing and rocking on the floor like babes is a testament to your strength of will. That alone would be enough for me to ask your assistance.”

    Popping the small cork from one of the vials – this one filled with what appeared to be mercury – the small wax droplets that had sealed the cork in flaked to the ground. With a grimace, the Professor brought it to his lips and downed it in one swift swallow. It took a moment or two, but it seemed to the others present he suddenly was standing a bit taller. His arthritic claw of a hand seemed less gnarled and his flesh bore less of the pale wasting of age.

    ”I would be happy to get into the specifics at another time, as time itself is our enemy here. Your friend in there? Doctor Edmundson? What has been gestating inside of him is giving off a vile signal that will draw others like it as a beacon. But I can give you the Cole’s Notes version while Lee and Saleh secure the area. And your friends in the back seat of the police cruiser can come out. I guarantee that it is as safe as can be. For now, at least. The swifter we are done with this business, the better for everyone.”

    With the other small glass vials still held in his hand lightly, Sutherland glances down the street both ways before looking back to those gathered before him.

    ”This world…our world….is not as it seems. We are…or have been…asleep to the greater mysteries that surround us. Oh, sure, there have been small snippets of the Truth that some have caught onto through the years. Mary Shelley was one such when she wrote of Doctor Victor Frankenstein. Bram Stoker, much as he embellished details, was not wrong when he described the blood-hungry Prince of Wallachia. Ghosts. Haunted houses. The Tuatha de Danann. Werewolves. Wizards and Witches. It is real. All of it. In one sense or another. There is a veil upon the eyes of every human on this planet that shields them from the Truth of the matter. Many children do not develop this veil until later in life, so many stories of imaginary friends and other spooky phenomena are rooted deeper in reality than their parents would like. The problem, my dear friends, is that once you have seen past the veil…you can’t unsee it through normal methods.”

    Sutherland looked at each of them in turn, an expression of remorse on his face.

    ”There was no rhyme or reason here.” He gestured towards the café. ”We have been following the good doctor for a few days now after we had learned but a smidge of what has been going on in his place of employment. Brighton House, you would know it as. We knew he had been infected with a pathogen of exceptionally vile origin. It has been called many things, but most of us know it as the Filth these days and it is older and more pervasive than one can fathom. We had hoped to find Edmundson and contain the situation before it got out of hand, but it took some time for us to find him. Now that you have seen what you have seen, there is…for most of you…no going back. The mind of an adult cannot handle the transition back to being asleep. But for youth, there is still a chance.” This comment came with a pointed look towards Cat.

    From inside, there was some shouting, and further sounds of gunfire.

    Sutherland sighed heavily, and looked to Eva.

    ”My dear Constable. I hate to add to the stress you are already feeling, but I assume you and all those here realize you cannot report this. For one, the likelihood of being believed is slim. For the second, you would be drawing dangerous attention to yourself and your loved ones. There are many who know of the shadows that we share a world with, and would hinder you greatly if they felt threatened.”






    Inside the Café, Driver had just taken another shot. His hand was trembling with the horror and the panic that sought to rise like bile in his throat. But, regardless, the second shot connected and popped the viscous eye. The filthy starfish shuddered, before sloppily falling over and laying still.

    But even as Driver heaved a relieved sigh, a third creature had begun to crawl from Edmundson’s body.

    That’s when the door slammed open, revealing a large middle-aged black man with a baseball bat and a beautiful foreign woman with a curved blade. They pushed past Driver, and pounced on the third creature – striking it with bat and blade until naught was left but a black, inky mess.

    The black man turned to Driver with a frown.

    ”Good shot, son. Impressive.”

    Even as he spoke to Driver, the woman set her blade upon a nearby table and pulled a flask from a snugly fitting utility belt at her hips. Popping the cap, she poured the contents onto the three starfish bodies and Edmundson’s body.

    It appeared to be water, but contained a sweet smell like honeysuckle or saffron, but it burned like acid. And quickly too.

    Within moments, there was nothing left aside from a puddle of blood and the good doctors clothes. Everything organic had dissolved completely.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa frowns, "That... actually fits with a few things I've been looking into. I encountered snippets of strange code months ago, I speak the language of computers even more fluently than I do english, but this was something I've never seen before. It doesn't even use phrasing my system should be capable of recognizing, and it keeps apparently rewriting itself. It led me to this town, and I've been noticing other strange things ever since. I've fallen short of absolute proof that I'm not just going nuts, but there's solid evidence of some really weird stuff out there mixed in with all the BS conspiracy theories and whackjobs in rubber suits."

    "In any case, the code isn't... malevolent... like this stuff was. It doesn't feel like a virus. More like its everywhere, just not always seen."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-28 at 06:52 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Jeremy gritted his teeth, failing badly to suppress the rising bile in the back of his throat. But instead of unleashing his anger on the strange man babbling about secret truths, he turned to Rosa and said, "You have to be kidding me. It's been a ****ing strange night, but you're not telling me you buy what this guy is saying?!"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa holds up a hand, and says, "I'm not sure that I do, but he knows something about what we've seen, and I've some reason to think it might not be bonkers. Its worth listening, and finding out if he can verify his words."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver's hand shakes as much as his breath. His legs were weak as the monster falls. He hears the other man speak and whirls around with his pistol, almost firing on instinct but stopping just moments away from firing. "WHo~ WHoa re you! What the Hell is going on!" he yells, at a loss for whats going on.

    Watching the two go about melting down the 'man' and the black goo, Driver falls into one of the booths, looking down at his hands. "What...happened."

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Rosa holds up a hand, and says, "I'm not sure that I do, but he knows something about what we've seen, and I've some reason to think it might not be bonkers. Its worth listening, and finding out if he can verify his words."
    Jeremy raises an skeptical eyebrow in response, but shrugs, before turning back to the old man. "Very well," he says, the statement a verbal equivalent of an eye roll before bringing an expectant gaze down to bare on the old man in the tweed jacket. The fighter was way out of his depths here, but knew he wasn't smart enough, or charismatic enough to win anyone over to his side. So instead, he waited for Eva to reply.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Peaking outside Harvey whispers to Roger:
    " Keep your hand on that door. Maybe he is a regular crazy drug dealer but I have seen people use a thing or two that .. is not normal. Besides he has his goons here If the cops do not arrest him I sure won't. Those two look like they are willing to...
    Stay inside , stay safe!"

    Harvey opens the door and maybe it is fear maybe force of habit from his last arrest or the arrest before that. He raises his hands visibly to show he is not armed and does not want to hurt anybody. Slowly closes the car door behind himself giving a as confident as possible look towards his brother.

    "Hi! Professor Sutherland let me just say that I absolutely respect peoples need for privacy so if the constable says we are all ok with how this happened I guarantee I did not see anybody do anything. So if it is ok with you you can conduct your very impressive Business."
    Harvey nodes towards the bag with small bottles.
    "Selling or not selling or drinking whatever substances make you happy. I have never Heard anything about any living computer code I don't know anybodys real name so if you would bei so kind to make my car work again and maybe tell me what happened to the young lady at the roadside that looked like she was shot we would be on our way?
    Or not.
    I mean people see things all the time. Was she shot was she not Shot? I don't know? You can definetly tell me and I am sure it will be the truth."

    Harvey would slowly lower his hands If nobody starts threatening him. Very willing to compromise the truth if it keeps his brother safe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •