Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 152
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Eva stared at the professor mutely, letting him speak. She didn't reach to shake his hand, but she didn't interrupt him either, simply affixing him with a Cop Stare (TM) as he explained himself and what was going on. Professor Sutherland, with his little medicine box full of oddities and his polite explanation that nothing in the world made sense and that the supernatural was real and he was drinking potions that made him look less... old?

    Blink. Blink.

    "You two and I are going to have a chat about a certain shootout after we're done with this nonsense," she said to Harvey and Roger as she mulled over vile signals and creatures gestating and the fact that they've been sleeping. Vampires? Dr. Frankenstein? Werewolves?

    One part of her brain, the logical part of her brain, thought she should detain him under the Mental Health Act for evaluation. Setting that aside for a moment with a mental Post-It that that could still take place, she glanced back at the trunk of her car as he discussed Brighton House. Where that guy worked. The school. For kids. And his point about not being able to report this was... well...

    ...who would believe her?

    With a sigh, she went to the trunk and produced Edmundson's briefcase. If it was carrying the infection, someone with more expertise would need to know about it.

    "All right. Let's say for a moment I believe you and any of this. You're probably going to want to see this. This was his. He cared about it."

    She offered it to the professor for examination.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Inside the Cafe

    As the dark-haired woman nudged Edmundson's stained, sopping pile of clothes, the big black man rest his solid, nail-studded bat across a shoulder and pat Driver's shoulder reassuringly.

    "Name's Lee Cooper. Royal Canadian Air Force. Retired. You, son, just found yourself in the middle of the worst live-action horror movie you can imagine. Monsters, aliens...demons. Call them whatever you want, but you look like the kind of guy who believes what's right in front of him."

    "Do not speak of djin so casually, Lee. You know it bothers me." Came a beautiful voice, thick with an accent Driver couldn't immediately place - but it was decidedly and distinctly feminine. The Persian woman tucked the flask back into her belt while scowling at Lee. The retired airman put his hands up in silent deference, though he smiled somewhat.

    "I am Saleh Sati." The woman announced to Driver as she slung the sword back over her shoulder. "We should get outside and tell the Professor it is done."





    Outside

    Professor Sutherland tilted his head to the side curiously as he watched Harvey approach, rubbing a knuckle across his mustache in thought.

    "My boy, I appreciate your ready acquiescence, it's not so simple. It's never so simple. I want you to listen to me very carefully, if you please. You can go if you like. We won't stop you. But, what you have seen tonight....simply being here has marked you. Every time you look around, you'll have the curse of seeing things as they truly are. You can't unsee the unseen, my boy. I'm sorry." The Professor did look saddened by this, as if he understood what it was to wish it had not been you who saw the truth. "As for this young lady you speak of who was shot but still moving. While we haven't been in Terrace long enough to do any digging ourselves, the Kitsumkalum indiginous people's of the Skeena Valley have long histories of the yeenadlooshi - or "he who goes on all fours". Skinwalkers. Werewolves. There is a grain of truth to all the old stories and legends. You'll come to see that soon enough, I'm afraid."

    "Strange code, you say?" Professor Sutherland asked with a pleasant smile as he turned gaze to Rosa, curious interest dancing clearly in his friendly eyes. "Oh, my dear. Our meeting is so very fortuitous then. Perhaps some good will come of this after all." Sutherland nodded thoughtfully to himself. "People speak of God. My friend Saleh does quite frequently...or, well...Allah, anyhow. These are human creations, though they all represent the same thing. A Creator diety. While I can't say whether there is truth to that or not, I do know that the organized chaos of the universe is run by something. I've only ever seen traces of its existance a handful of times. Mostly in strange code. Or flashes of wires and gears where there should be none. One of our other...friends...has had a recurring dream about such a thing but we...well, none of us have any skill with computers that would help us."

    As Eva reveals the briefcase, the old man turned to Eva with a small chuckle. "Thank you, constable. He'll have had it locked up tight to make sure it's not easily accessed. We can't break in ourselves. No talents, so to speak and Lee has tools, but not with us unfortunately. Would you know how to...pick a lock...so to speak? Otherwise, I'd welcome you to return to our hotel if you'd like to see the contents."
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2019-10-01 at 02:23 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver falls back into one of the booths, smoke trailing up the end of his gun. This is far from the first time he's fire it...but never at something like that. He swallows a thick mass of spit, looking between the two hunters? "Maybe there was something in my beer..like..moldy..beer. That doesn't make sense"

    Driver shakes his head, putting his hands in his head "This is worse than running from crack addicts. Though, I will say took about the same amount of bullets to stop one. You can Call me Driver...best not to give your real name to people you just met." He pulls the magazine out of his handgun, checking it for how much ammunition is left "Especially after something like..that"

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey


    A smart man would nod and go away. If necessary by foot. A smart man would consider his existence more valuable than curiosity. But sometimes Harvey just was not that smart, but very curious.

    Well, my cousin is a locksmith that showed me some stuff so I could give it a try if wished?

    [If anybody wanted to he would recognize that Harvey was using a well used but not convincing excuse that wasn`t entirely true. ]

    At least Harvey liked that idea more then following the strangers to the Hotel.

    Harvey started looking around for approval from the group of well strangers, but not as strange strangers.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Jeremy shrugs as if to say 'go ahead'. He certainly wasn't much for lockpicking, and he still wasn't sure he wanted anything to do with everything that was happening.

    Instead, Jeremy looks back to find his daughter, and make sure she was still okay.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Professor Sutherland telling the guy who had been talking about gun battles he could go freely was a little off, especially after what she had just said, and she shot the old academic a sharp look of warning. However, Eva did not interrupt. The information that was being passed on was something that, if they believed him and them and any of this nonsense, they might want to know. Werewolves. Great. That complicated investigations.

    Of men in trucks.

    Shooting werewolves?

    How could she even...

    With a sigh, the cop placed the briefcase down and offered Harvey his crack at it with an open palmed gesture even as she scanned the area around them for further threats or clues.

    PERCEPTION: (6d10)[1][4][2][5][6][9](27)

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa glances at her phone, half afraid to still see the scrolling "Let me in" text. Otherwise she just watches the briefcase being opened. Her leg muscles tense up to start running without her realizing it.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey

    Harvey takes a look at the case.

    "Thank you! I guess nobody has a small screwdriver a hammer or a plier at hand?

    Harvey walks to his car and opens the side door to get a well used cheap knock off swiss army knife.

    "Well lets see if this will do the trick. Can I put this on the truck as to take a look?

    Harvey would place the case on the truck and start taking a look to understand and open the case.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Inside

    ”Crackheads would be a welcome relief, son.” Lee said, setting his brutal looking hickory baseball bat down on the table and settling in across from Driver at the table he’d come to rest in. ”Driver, eh? Nice to meet you….though, I’m afraid it’s not something like moldy beer causing this ****storm. We’re here with a friend who’se outside. He can give you all the nitty-gritty details if you’d like.”

    The Persian woman – Saleh – slipped outside, leaving Driver and Lee sitting in the otherwise empty diner.

    Now that the trouble had passed, the lights had settled and the strange voice was no longer speaking from the café’s sound system.


    Outside

    As Harvey stepped up to the hood of the car with the briefcase set upon it, Eva let her gaze wander across the surrounding area. There was no movement. Even the wind seemed to have died down. The only thing that caught her eye was the gradual return of illumination as the street lights began to flicker back on down the road in either direction. The static from her radio had run silent as well.

    Now, the only sign of life was the breathing and shuffling of those around her, and the clicking of the briefcases locking mechanism as Harvey began his work.

    Rosa’s own glance down at her phone revealed an absence of the strange. It was her normal screen, with apps aplenty – though without a SIM card, the phone shouldn’t have been connected to any network and yet she was getting a signal still.

    It was faint, but it was there. Like a router broadcasting from a distance. But one that didn’t require any ISP or network connectivity to work.

    Finally, there was a loud click as Harvey managed to pop the lock after several tense minutes of fiddling.

    Professor Sutherland stepped forward to get a closer look as Harvey lifted the lid gingerly.

    Inside were stacks of paper held neatly in a few thick manila envelopes, a small hard-covered notebook, and a block of stiff black foam – much like they used as sound insulation in a recording studio – that held what appeared to be some futuristic looking jar. It was capped with metal on both ends, and that metal was covered in a thin layer of what appeared to be brass foil. There were strange hieroglyph-like symbols engraved in the foul. It was well-made, but engravings with such complexities as this would have taken a long time to make by hand.

    Inside the glass jar appeared to be a few small slivers of black crystal. Sort of like obsidian or basalt, though more opaque with razor-sharp edges. They were suspended in a fluid that looked and moved like it was olive oil.

    ”My, my. The good doctor has been toying with dangerous things, it seems.” Sutherland said as he lifted the small glass jar from the foam block and gave it a light shake while holding it up to inspect closer.

    Around this time, the Persian woman – Saleh – slipped from the café and approached.

    ”It is done, Professor. The Filth has been cleansed.”
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey

    A satisfied smile on his face Harvey started to look around and decided somebody probably should have a look at 2 of those manila envelopes. He takes 2 and inspects them to see and if they are closed and if not, to peek inside and read one. Then stopping.

    Dangerous as in radioactive? Or dangerous as in: Drugs are a menace to society dangerous?

    Harvey steps a bit back.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2019-10-05 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver puts his head in his hands. He just needed to calm down. Take some breaths. He may not be able to fully comprehend this..but he can look like he does. "RIght..Right. Today has been far too eventful. Should have stopped at a bar instead of this dinner. Definitely not going to eat here again. That's for sure" He stands up, moving toward the door "Let's head outside then. I want to know what's happening. And im not sure if it's healthy to be around this place...don't want to start vomiting up black stars."

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa frowns at her phone. This keeps getting weirder. Out of sheer curiosity she opens a browser, halfway expecting to see an access page for some manner of private network.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    With the end of the threat came the power, it seemed, and Eva Cartwright let out a breath of small relief at that fact. The stranger working the lock got the job done and the lid came open, earning the constable's attention as she moved to look. Paper, a notebook, foam -- and a strange jar, with odd symbols on it. It was Greek to her; hell, it might have been ancient Greek for all she knew, some odd inscription that meant something only to the dead doctor in the diner...

    ...the diner.

    "Wait. The folks who worked at the diner. Tanis. Luis. Claudia... where are they?"

    The Filth had been cleansed?

    What about the innocents here? She hadn't seen a critter get Claudia. Stepping away from the case and the dangerous stuff, she moved to try to find the staff...

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    You know how some days you do something and immediately regret not only the action itself, but every action you had taken that led to that point?

    Harvey now knew that intrinsically.

    None of the manila envelopes were sealed with more than a thin red string coiled around a small metal rivet on the back. It was easily uncoiled to reveal the stacked pages within. Some pages were thicker, and appeared glossy – like photographs. Others were normal, either stapled or held together with paperclips.

    The first page that Harvey pulled was covered from top to bottom in tight, clustered lines of hand-written text. Like a journal entry of some kind, or notes made in doctor’s office. A cursory glance had picked up some key words like specimen, test subjects, Filth exposure and psychic phenomena.

    It wasn’t until he pulled a second piece of paper from the envelope that the reality well and truly sunk in.

    It was a large eight by ten glossy photograph of a young girl, a few years younger than Roger. It was a digital photo in high resolution, showing the girl with abrasions and lacerations across her arms, neck and face. She wore what appeared to be a simple medical gown, and had bruising under her eyes that implied heavily of sleep deprivation. Some of her teeth were missing, and there were spots on her face and neck where her veins were thick and black, like worms under the skin. Many of the lacerations appeared on or around the grotesque veins as if she had tried to cut whatever was beneath her skin out herself. A small wooden placard was set next to her on the wall.

    Subject 008: Claire Hawthorn
    D.O.B: July 3rd, 2004 (Age 15)
    Exposure Count: Six

    And under the information upon the placard was the culprit: Ascendyne Health and Wellness.

    ”Perhaps a bit of both.” Sutherland had said while Harvey scanned the photograph. ”Thank you, Saleh. The situation, overall, is much more complicated than we had anticipated. But our new friends here are helping me crack the proverbial case.” The professor said to the woman as she exited with a pleasant smile.

    Meanwhile, Eva’s sudden panicked revelation about the bystanders had drawn her attention away. The waitress – Tanis – and her friend Cat were huddled nearby, hugging each other while they tried to come to terms with what they had seen. Their faces were ashen and pale, and Eva could make out a sheen of nervous sweat upon their brows. It was likely they were in shock. But there was no sign of Luiz the cook, or Claudia the wife of the owner. Eva recalled they had fled out the back door of the kitchen, but it was obvious they hadn’t circled around as their vehicles were still there. There was a nearby train yard behind the café where some of the trains that passed this way would stop for refueling or resupply, but the café was fairly isolated from the rest of Terrace and that meant that it was mostly wilderness for Claudia or Luiz to have fled towards.

    For Rosa, the curiosity of the strange technological aspects of this situation was gnawing. The browser she popped open on her phone began to load as normal, though the suddenly frozen screen and lagged hang-up of the network connection seemed to – at least initially – indicate it was as it should be. Hard to connect to the network with no SIM card.

    However a moment or two later, the screen went black and she found herself looking at a torrential stream of code that spilled across the entirety of her screen. Some of it was normal code she had seen in the common programming languages. But some of it was not right. It was much like the code she had originally seen, but this one seemed…broken. Disjointed. As if segments of the code itself had been deleted. Or consumed by a worm virus.

    Lee led Driver out of the café and down towards the small gathering, giving the professor a small nod as they approached.

    Professor Sutherland sighed wistfully.

    ”I know it has been a trying night for everyone. Really, there is not much more than can be done at the moment. We have to get the contents of the good doctors case back to our hotel to review the information, but I would welcome any assistance you kind folks would be willing to give. Perhaps join us for coffee and breakfast in the morning?”

    Sutherland held up some of the small glass vials he had pulled from his medicine case earlier and gave them a light shake before he looked between Harvey and Jeremy.

    ”I do not know the details of the relationships you hold with the others who have witnessed this. The young ones.” He meant Roger, Cat and Tanis. ”But this experience has marked them as it has you all. I cannot imagine that you are inclined to let this event taint them. Have them drink the contents of this vial before they sleep and they will awaken fresh and cleansed.” He paused for a moment. ”They will have a fever in the morning, and feel rather unpleasant. Perhaps a day off school to recuperate would be prudent?”
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa frowns at her phone, this just keeps getting weirder... It shouldn't have been possible to load anything at all, not to mention the code aberrations. She puts it away for now, there's little she can do to analyze the thing here.

    "So let me get this straight, the doctor was working with some kind of virus, one with some very strange properties to it, including some sort of EM interference or transmission, and became infected. And that led him to vomiting up those things? Is there any particular reason we're not calling the CDC, oh, right, I mean the CHA, in to burn this Ascendyne place to the ground? And how do we know we're not infected?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-10-09 at 06:36 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    ”I do not know the details of the relationships you hold with the others who have witnessed this. The young ones.” He meant Roger, Cat and Tanis. ”But this experience has marked them as it has you all. I cannot imagine that you are inclined to let this event taint them. Have them drink the contents of this vial before they sleep and they will awaken fresh and cleansed.” He paused for a moment. ”They will have a fever in the morning, and feel rather unpleasant. Perhaps a day off school to recuperate would be prudent?”
    Jeremy steps forward, his face an ashen grey mask, but the snarl in his words belies the anger bubbling in his veins, "Awaken fresh and cleansed? So what, you want us to drug them? What, that's some sort of date rape drug or something?" The muscles of Jeremy's jaw were swelling and tensing, the vessels and tendons in his neck creating taught cords under stubbled skin.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey looked at this "picture" and almost barfed this was not the expensive sellable information he was looking for.
    The documents placed back on the truck with a shaky hand next to the suitcase.

    Filth exposure? Psychic phenomena? Test subjects? What... she is absolutely right! If this.. the government needs to take care of this like... with guns and cops. And have we been exposed to filth? Are we infected?
    Champ is right, I think some medical supervision would be good for this drug? So how about we stay close together in case of complications? And well, I think the police would gladly help investigating? And I will tag along for.. snacks? So yeah lets help.
    And for Ascendyne Health and Wellness the government will take care of them?


    Harvey turns away from Prof. Sutherland with questions in his eyes and very much agreeing with the notion that Jeremy should beat the crap out of people should this "cure" prove to be harmful.
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2019-10-10 at 07:24 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver takes his time walking to the assembled group. It was times like this he wishes he had a pack on him, but he is trying to quit that habit. Even whern you fight abominations beyond human understanding, you have to watch your health. He follows behind Lee. He makes sure stuff his pistol in the back of his pants with the saftey on. Dont need anyone getting shot..and maybe the cop wont notice. Maybe.

    Driver isnt able to hear the whole conversation from the professor, just the end, but the responses are enough to clue him in somewhat to what might be going on. "Oh no. A Private corporation committing experiments that are against the public good for there own benefit. Who would have guessed" he says rather flatly "I feel fine right now, so I wont worry about any infections for a while. If you start feeling sick though, I'd say down a molotov and light yourself up. It's what i'd do. Also, doubt the government are going to do much to help. Besides take us in for questioning. Or just helping this Corporation cover up this whole mess. See, I think thre are other ways to get to the bottom of this situation. First things first, did that Briefcase contain a ID? Since we may want to hold onto that for when we break into the place" It's hard to resist the temptation of a score, and getting his hands on a bio-weapon? Buyers would certainly be in the market for that. Keeping the government out of this as much as possible is also important for him, he's still lying low. If they get a whiff of him being connected to certain events across the pound this could get hairy.

    Either way, He'd best inform Mr.Moon of what's happening in Canada.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Professor Sutherland listened to the concerned cacophony from those before him, still wearing a pleasant smile. It was sort of soothing – almost grandfatherly – and reassuring, as if he was aware of just how hard a pill all this was to swallow.

    To Jeremy, Sutherland shook his head slowly.

    ”I do suppose that drugging them would be as apt an analogy as any, but I assure you, my good sir, that there is nothing inside these little vials that would be anything similar to a drug you, or even our constable friend here, would recognize. In essence…” The professor gave one of the vials a tiny shake. ”It would be closer to an elixir of sorts. A potion. It does not contain anything synthetic. A little sage. Some olive oil…extra virgin, of course. The extract of a few herbs like turmeric, ginseng, frankincense and cedar. I suppose the only thing that would be troublesome is an infusion of hemlock and hellebore. Both of which are used in many medicines by indigenous tribes. I promise you that it is not harmful in the slightest. It will both sooth the troubles of their mind, purify their spirits and treat the anxiety and mania that often accompany exposure to such spiritual trauma. I made them myself, so I can guarantee their contents.”

    Sutherland glanced back over his shoulder down the road in the direction he and his companions had come, as if looking for something. Or perhaps he was just checking to make sure that they had no further uninvited guests. Then he turned his gaze to Rosa.

    ”You are not entirely incorrect. It is not a virus in the traditional sense, composed of bacteria or microbes of any kind. It is not natural. It does not come from here.” He gestured around him as if meaning more earth than any local location. ”I will explain this as easily as I can to you all, to soothe your concerns. The good doctor here was not infectious. He was a…carrier, yes. But the creatures you encountered were the larval stage of things much worse. You have not been exposed to the actual contagion. It is black. Like oily sludge. And it feels wrong. You would not mistake it for anything natural, if you had seen or been exposed to it. The contents of the small container in the briefcase is as close to a portable vector as one can find. We will dispose of it, rest assured.”

    Sutherland pursed his lips, a small frown on his face for a moment as he considered their expressed concerns.

    ”Those are all valid concerns.” Sutherland said, and opened his mouth to speak again – but it was Lee Cooper who spoke next.

    ”Listen. This right here? This is conspiracy-level ****. You think there aren’t people in the Government, the army…anything you could count as an authority…that don’t know about this? That won’t try and cover it up? You want bad people to take notice of you for trying to blow the whistle on this?” Lee scoffed, shaking his head. ”The CHA and the Government are probably infiltrated.”

    At this point, Lee scrubbed his hands over his face in frustration and Saleh came to rest a comforting hand on his shoulder.

    ”We all, like yourselves, encountered this frightening new world in our own way. I was made a slave of a vampire in my home country of Syria. Lee here….” She gave him a small smile. ”Was in Afghanistan during the war to remove Sadam Hussein. His whole unit was wiped out by werewolves during a patrol.” Saleh turned to face those assembled and let her exotic gaze wander across them.

    ”We all were chosen for a higher calling. We hunt the things that go bump in the night and work in secret to keep the world and the people we love safe. It is our duty. It is our curse. As Professor Sutherland has indicated, your eyes have been opened to the truth of the world and as such you will not be able to look away. You will see the monsters behind the masks of normalcy. You will see things that the news will brush aside as gas leaks, or animal attacks but you will know that it was something more. Something darker.”

    Professor Sutherland sighed heavily.

    ”I would not presume to dictate your futures…or to remove your agency and your choice. But there are not enough of us to fight this war against the Dark. We are but a few, and as we have already discovered in our short time in Terrace…there are many things here that prey upon the people. We could desperately use your help.”
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    To Jeremy, Sutherland shook his head slowly.

    ”I do suppose that drugging them would be as apt an analogy as any, but I assure you, my good sir, that there is nothing inside these little vials that would be anything similar to a drug you, or even our constable friend here, would recognize. In essence…” The professor gave one of the vials a tiny shake. ”It would be closer to an elixir of sorts. A potion. It does not contain anything synthetic. A little sage. Some olive oil…extra virgin, of course. The extract of a few herbs like turmeric, ginseng, frankincense and cedar. I suppose the only thing that would be troublesome is an infusion of hemlock and hellebore. Both of which are used in many medicines by indigenous tribes. I promise you that it is not harmful in the slightest. It will both sooth the troubles of their mind, purify their spirits and treat the anxiety and mania that often accompany exposure to such spiritual trauma. I made them myself, so I can guarantee their contents.”
    Jeremy scowls, the majority of the Professor's big words sounding impressive but going right over his head. He didn't like this. He did not like being so far in over his head. It would be better to try to trust his gut, rather than reasoning with the professor, so Jeremy instead tried to judge the man's character.

    Spoiler: Empathy roll to judge motive
    Show
    Composure 3+ Empathy -1=2d10
    (2d10)[10][8](18) and 10 again for some reason (2d10)[5][5](10)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2014

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Rosa frowns, and states, "Look, this is all a bit much, I've been doing some digging on my own before this, and I've come up with enough evidence of really crazy stuff to corroborate some of this. But a video of some nutter dragging people into an alley and biting them in the neck isn't quite the same as actual proof of a vampire."

    Addressing everyone now, she states, "How about this. We all go home, get a few drinks, and whatever else we might need to actually get some real sleep after seeing... that. Then we'll come meet up at some good spot to have a private chat. I'll bring my evidence, you bring yours. We'll compare notes and go from there."

    She looks to Jeremy and hesitates, then pops her SIM card back in. If that lets her connect as normal, she'll start looking up medicinal impacts of the uncommon ingredients listed and the LD50 levels of hellebore, hemlock, and any other things listed as potentially poisonous. If what she finds doesn't raise any red flags, she'll convey that to Jeremy. She's already fairly sure that mixture would just taste bad with no ill effects, but she's not going to trust her memory alone when it comes to Cat's life.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-10-12 at 10:43 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Harvey listened carefully.


    "Hi ! Well sorry ...my name is Harvey!

    I think I owe you a debt of gratitude. I don`t know what we would have done if you hadn`t showed up. I can`t consider myself called. I'm really not a soldier... If the police says it is okay to assume the government is infiltrated?"


    Harvey looks around with questions in his eyes.

    "If it is okay with everybody here. I am willing to listen and if the plan is realistic I would help. If it is true that this girl exists then....
    I do want to know what these wierd papers are about so if you are willing to share that information I will listen.
    I honestly don`t want to send Roger home without somebody looking after him so I will stay with him. If you are staying in a hotel and would be willing to give us a phone number? And well you are right a place to meet would be nice."
    Last edited by Justanotherhero; 2019-10-12 at 04:42 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    All of it was a lot, a lot, the pages, the hunt, the elixir, everything. Eva Cartwright held her rifle tensely in both hands as she looked around for Claudia, for Luiz, for anything to make this make sense. But what she needed was right there in front of her. Werewolves killed his unit. She was a slave of a vampire. There was a Hunt ahead for the people who were behind the experimentation.

    And the government couldn't be trusted?

    "We need to slow our roll. I agree with... Harvey. And Rosa."

    A sigh as she scratched at a cheek, a far-off look in her eye.

    "I need to find Claudia and Luiz. I'd appreciate your help. They can't have gone far, and they saw that stuff same as us. If they're hurt or scared, they're going to need aid... and to know that maybe they should be careful about what they say."

    She gestured back toward where the two must have run.

    "Help me out, and I'll come meet with you tomorrow evening. We can get a drink, have a beer, talk this through. Maybe watch for consequences arising from all this overnight and compare notes?"

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC



    Driver looks between each of the newly made hunters. it seems they've all agreed on there new reality. Vampires. Werewolves. Ghouls and ghasts. Maybe Aliens really did build the pyramids. "And next you're going to say lizardmen run the government. This is one thing, Vampires and werewolves are another. Fictional characters. I'll believe it when I see it, for now though, this seems to be a top priority. If you want to meet, I know a good spot that should be a long way from most civilized people. Should be free to talk." he says, walking to his car which is hopefully no longer possessed. he opens the door and leans it grabbing a map from the glove comparment along with a pen. He lays it out over the hood and circles a small part, the place he goes to practice his driving. he then walks back to the group and Hands it to Sutherland "That should work. Now, I can not say it was a pleasure." he pauses for a beat.

    "So I wont. Goodbye" he turns, and starts going to his car, popping open the door as he gets ready to head back to his motel room.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    To Everybody: "Well if somebody is willing to stay here and secure the restaurant against that is I will help look for those two?"

    To Driver:"Good well.. night."

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Spoiler: OOC to ALL
    Show


    Sorry for the delay folks. Work’s been kicking butt this week and ignoring the taking of names.

    On a side note….Nice roll, Benno!



    One thing seemed certain to Jeremy. For all the strangeness and trouble of the evening…for all the plethora of reasons Jeremy had to not trust this Professor Sutherland, his words seemed to strike true to his senses. Something in his gut was telling him, emphatically, that Sutherland really wasn’t yanking his chain. It could have been the genuine sadness that permeated the depths of the old teachers eyes.

    He was truly sorry that this had befallen the rag-tag group of café patrons.

    And as such, he was trying to help.

    ”It is a bit of a stretch, no?” Sutherland said, with that pleasant smile of his. But the expression carried a weight of experience that even Rosa couldn’t ignore. ”I think you have a fair request. It would be best to continue this conversation in the morning with the sun in the sky. It may not be more than superstition, but some things are best spoken of when the dark does not lay heavily upon the land. And I am quite sure that it has been an…emotionally trying evening thus so far.”

    Lee and Saleh had begun to pack up what little they had brought with them, including the briefcase, after Sutherland tucked the containment canister back into its foam housing within. As they were loading up, Saleh looked to Eva.

    ”I would be happy to assist you, Constable, if you would be so kind as to provide me a ride back to the hotel when we are done? Lee can accompany the Professor now. We have learned from hard, cold experience that it is not wise to wander alone in these times.”

    ”If Driver here has a secure spot to talk, then we can meet tomorrow morning if that’s okay with everyone else? You’ve got no obligation to be there, really, but I’m hoping you all realize that this is some serious **** and it might be worth hearing us out.” Lee said, finally hoisting the briefcase into the back of the jeep and slinging his brutal looking baseball bat into the back as well.

    Professor Sutherland pressed one of the small vials into Harvey’s hand, and two into Jeremy’s. For Roger, Cat and Tanis respectively. Whether they chose to use them was now wholly upon their own shoulders. While he does so, he gives them the number for a burner cellphone that he and his two companions were using to get ahold of him if needed.

    While this was going on, Rosa had managed to fully connect to the LTE network of her cellphone provider. It seemed whatever interference had been plaguing the area had dissipated and normal services had returned.

    While hellebore and hemlock were traditionally considered poisonous, there were ample methods of preparation that were held by many indigenous tribes across the world that would allow them to be used in a medicinal sense. Nothing jumped out, really, aside from the idea that some of this would directly impact the imbiber’s ability to process anxiety: meaning, it was a primitive anti-anxiety medicine, of sorts.

    Spoiler: OOC for ALL
    Show


    This is sort of wrapping up the end of the prelude here, and I’m just about ready to move on to the next scene. If anyone wants to say or do anything else before the end of the evening, please let me know and I’ll post accordingly.

    Eva and Saleh will be looking for Luiz and Claudia, which I intend to summarize in my next post, and anyone else who wants to join them can feel free.

    Otherwise, as soon as we’re in agreement I’ll move on to the next morning. So please include in your next post anything of note that you’d like to accomplish across the remainder of your evening. This could include everything from whether or not you give the drug to the youngsters, whether or not Eva goes to file her paperwork, or get tanked.

    My next post will summarize the results of these as well.

    Thanks!

    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

    Avatar by LCP

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    As much as Jeremy didn't want to, he had to trust Sutherland. He rolled his teeth over his tongue, trying to find the will to swallow the words that were about to come out, but finding that he couldn't. "Fine," Jeremy says hesitantly, "I'll trust you, and take your advice... as long as you promise no harm will come to my daughter." He takes the vials from the professor with shaking hands, inspecting each one curiously, before pocketing them. Jeremy also stores the man's contact in his cellphone.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ya, I was kinda planning to fail that roll and enjoy the drama of Jeremy being convinced that Sutherland was lying to him about everything . Ready to move things along on my end.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

    New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

    New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    I would help look for the missing civilians and afterwards drive home to give Roger the option of forgetting this whole devilish experience. Won`t sleep a lot since I would check how he sleeps to call an ambulance if anything goes wrong. Afterwards, I will attend the morning meeting.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    I think Eva's next actions will depend greatly on what state she finds Luiz and Claudia in...

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: Hold the Line against the Night - IC

    Driver

    Driver will take one of the burner phones, before speeding off on his own. The dashboard lights up his face, and he is met with all manner of new thoughts. What does he know about the world? Really? if things like this were really out there...

    He takes a deep breath, taking the rode back to the Motel. Quickly, he gets out of the car and rushes to his room, gun still tucked into his pants just in case. Might be sleeping with it even.

    Spoiler: OOC and Secrets
    Show


    Driver's never seen anything like this before. This isn't his wheelhouse...so, he checks in with his usual Fixer. Mr. Moon. Maybe they might know something about this 'Filth'

    Using his other secure line, Driver types out a message describing what happened over the past day.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •