New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Useless Blob's Paper Chase IC

Ok, I just wanted to make sure. And hey, it's good RPing if the DM can't tell the difference, right?
    ----

Thomas quickly comes down and offers you some lunch, making a nice baked bean sandwich with mayonnaise and sweet pickles.

Arnoldsberg, 4:15 PM, October 2nd, 1921

Eventually, you finish your meal, after engaging Thomas with as much or as little of the case as you'd like to inform him of. He soon bids you adieu and returns to his accounting, informing you that a deadline is coming up rather quickly. This leaves you alone, ready to go out once more into the small town of Arnoldsberg.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

To the cemetery, I guess.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you depart from the Library you notice that it the weather is still decently nice, albeit much hotter as the sun has already passed its apex. Nevertheless, you press on towards the graveyard.

When you arrive you see in the afternoon light that it is reasonably well-tended, although the vegetation is quite abundant. There are many tall bushes and ancient trees which dot the spaces between the gravestones and tombs. It's quite clear that the cemetary has been here for many years.

However, as you return you notice the gardener planting new flowers nearby.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant is unsure how to go about approaching the gardener. He did kind of ignore him earlier. Quick thinking time! "Hi, I'm Evan Grant, and I'm looking for a missing person." Not great, but rolling with it.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Please give me a Charm roll as you initially come up to this man to see how he initially reacts to you.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Funderful.
    (1d100)[89]

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you're walking around he turns around, waves a hello, only to resume with his work. As you then actually greet him he looks somewhat taken aback. "Hello..."

He then turns back to his work, "I'm kind of busy right now though, sorry. Don't know much 'bout missing people." He pulls out a weed and begins to move away towards the next site.
    ----

You may Push the roll, or try another conversational strategy. No matter what you decide to do though, please give me a Spot Hidden roll.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

What's Pushing?
    (1d100)[3]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If you Push a roll, you may roll again, but there are greater consequences if you fail. One must generally provide a reason for Pushing a roll though (spending more time trying to convince someone, offering a bribe, etc...).
    ----

As Dr. Grant is speaking with the gardener he happens to notice a flask within his jacket... interesting (also reminder that prohibition is in full effect, but it seems that even though that's the case, this man enjoys his alcohol).
    ----

Please give me a Know (Education) roll.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

words words
    (1d100)[16]

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You recall that there is actually a place to buy liquor in town, should you so choose to, albeit a rather... unsavory place, but a place nonetheless.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant was certain the gardener knew something, although he wasn't sure what that would be. Thusly, he opted to leave the graveyard yet again, this time to find the speakeasy and get a bribe. There might even be information there! Unlikely, but it might happen.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Traveling down below one of the cafes in town, Chase's Coffee, Dr. Grant recalls that this establishment is part of a small set of businesses run by a Mr. Orfan Chase. Normally, Orfan's businesses also do a little bit of side work underground, with a common password for all of them.
    It's a couple words to the bouncer as he's soon let into the small but nevertheless cozy speakeasy under the cafe. A bartender glances towards the doctor as he enters, not recognizing him as one of the regulars he puts down what he's holding and reaches places a hand under the counter. "Whadda ya' want, mister?" The man says with a low growl.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant maintains his composure, as is a must for any respectable doctor. "I'm here to see about a blind pig, if you know what I mean." It was an open secret that speakeasies would charge money to see an animal and offer "complimentary" drinks, something he found out from a classmate back in pre-med. While Grant disliked alcohol personally, he found the whole Prohibition business rather silly. Still, there was an undeniable thrill in flouting the law.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man looks you over, nods, slides his hand out from under the bar as you slide him a couple of dollar bills. From there, it doesn't take too long to get the alcohol you need (the entertainment is quite nice), and you soon head back towards the gardener, who now seems to be taking a short break, storing something in his coat pocket as he sees you approach (I'm sure you can guess what it is).

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

"Why don't we try this again?" Dr. Grant shows the gardener the booze. "I'm looking for a man who had certain friends. Friends underground."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The gardener looks up and starts off by saying, "Look, I already said I was bus-..." Only to eye the drink. "Hmmm... friends? Underground?" He motions for you to hand it over (presumably you do). "Don't know much about them." He takes a quick swig, and eyes the flask appreciatively. "Only odd things I've seen..." He then looks around, and doesn't see anyone else so he continues, "is Mister Kimball's ghost." He stores the flask inside of his coat, letting the impact of what he just said hang in the air. "Eeire thing it was, dark, spooky, late at night, near the same tombstone Mister Kimball always read at."
    He points out towards a tombstone in the far back of the cemetery. "I haven't been near the place since, feel a cold comin' on every time I go towards it..."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Imma look the hell out of it!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You leave behind the gardener as you look towards the tombstone. It's rather unremarkable, having been worn smooth by age and weather. Yet you cannot help but think it would make an excellent spot where someone could sit and read. Nevertheless, it's impossible to determine who was buried under here.
    ----

However, as you're looking around, please give me a Spot Hidden or a Track roll.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know diddly about tracking so Spot it is!
    (1d100)[98]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You rolled a 96-100, which would normally be a Fumble, but because your Spot Hidden skill is above a 50, you only get a Fumble on a 100, so instead it's just a failure.
    ----

Arnoldsberg, 7:29 PM, October 2nd, 1921

You've been searching for hours. Every now and then the gardener gives you strange looks as you comb up and down every single area of the god-forsaken cemetary. You curse under your breath, because still, after all of this time, you've found nothing... nothing at all. Not only that, but by this point it's getting dark, and even the gardener appears to be getting ready to head out.
    ----

Please give me an Intelligence (Idea) roll.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

I think I need a hug.
    (1d100)[92]

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow... jeez...
    ----

You figure there's nothing better to do than maybe head in for dinner with the Kimballs. You're not going to be able to search very well in this light.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

I've failed the mission, haven't I?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Who said that?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

I have absolutely no idea what else I can do. Besides eat dinner and bang my head against a brick wall. I guess I'll save the latter for later then.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As you enter, both Mary and Thomas are preparing for dinner: a nice meal of mutton, potatoes, beets, and a roll. Mary looks over and sees your face, "Is everything ok? Were you able to find anything about my uncle in-law?" Thomas also looks on in interest.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

"The only thing I found was a nutty old gardener claiming to have seen your uncle's ghost reading by a tombstone. Either he's delusional, ghosts are real, or your uncle has been hiding in a system of tunnels underneath the cemetery for years."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thomas then jumps in, trying to cheer up his "employee", "Well, Dr. Grant, you've turned up some things, this hasn't all been for naught." He then thinks for a moment and adds in, "Also, maybe, and should you wish not to do this, I understand, I can see the weariness in your eyes, but maybe with all of the strange talk of the graveyard, the thief could be hiding out there at night?" Mary continues to eat at her potatoes. "They might have been behind whatever weird stories have popped up over the last decade or two that you mentioned. Alternatively Mr. Jefferson may have thought that the thief was actually my uncle due to poor lighting or something or other."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Dr. Grant lets out a stress-filled sigh and sits up straighter. "It's possible, but if you're right, I can't apprehend the thief on my own. I'm a doctor, I don't have the strength or skill necessary. I have to return to my regular duties tomorrow, so if you want me to help search a graveyard in the middle of the night, you'll need to start gathering up friends now."