New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default A friend of mine created a 5e version of the Arcanist from Pathfinder

So a friend of mine build a conversion of sorts of their favorite pathfinder 1e class to 5e D&D, and he wanted me to ask for opinions on it. I don't really know how best to judge spellcasters and I also noticed that he didn't include a spell list. But beyond that, can you all give some feedback on the features?

I'd post the spell list brackets, but I don't know how to do that on the forums, so I'll post a view only link to the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A friend of mine created a 5e version of the Arcanist from Pathfinder

So, um, this looks like a Wizard with Sorcery Points, better metamagic options, and strong class features. While that may be appropriate for the Pathfinder Arcanist, the original class was not what you'd call balanced either. I'm very much inclined to say no.

Given 5e's changes to prepared casting, the base Wizard is already pretty close to the Arcanist's feel. A subclass granting them a more limited version of Sorcery Points and existing metamagic is probably fine.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: A friend of mine created a 5e version of the Arcanist from Pathfinder

First off, helpful thread on how to make nice tables for this forum. Here.

Second off, gonna agree with Grod. Does way too much.

Third off, I'm only mostly parroting Grod because the formatting makes it hard to read exactly what it does. (The other reason I'm parroting him is that he's a good head for balance.)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show