New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default My adblocker doesn't seem to be able to catch ads on some websites.

As per the title, I've noticed that my adblocker just seems to kinda... not actually trigger on some websites.
    Anyone have advice? I don't have "non intrusive advertising" checked as allowed, and only ever manually whitelist sites if I am okay with them having ads.

I'm using Adblock and Adblock Plus for Google Chrome(not sure if having both provides better coverage for blocking or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt) for context, but I'm open to trying new programs too if anyone has suggestions.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My adblocker doesn't seem to be able to catch ads on some websites.

It might help if you gave some examples of the kind of adds you still get? I use adblock plus as well, and to give an example, the advert for the new OOtS book shows up on this website as it isn't technically an advertisement by common internet standards (it is something hosted on this site, rather than one provided by and external add agency).
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I use ublock origin, and it has an easy way to block extra elements. So when there's an ad it misses I can just manually add the element to the block list and it gets killed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Make sure your adblockers are fully updated. I had a similar problem for a while when my AdBlock Plus stopped updating for some reason, and manually going in and forcing it to update fixed it until it figured out how to do it automatically again.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Another option is to set up Pi-hole on your network. It requires a bit more work to maintain, but the added functionality is proportional to that. And adding a new ad server to your own blacklist(or whitelist) is trivial once you have it set up.

The big advantage, of course, is that it works across and outside of browsers, and on devices and applications/apps where you have no way to install browser extensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for the long silence.
    Main issues I've had are adblocks missing ads on videos on some sites(though they work on youtube about 99% of the time) or on, and this is weirdly specific; "wiki" type things for games or shows(the ads on such seem to be semi-immune to my adblockers, somehow). Also a bit of having my adblocks get detected by adblock-blockers on websites. But that's less common than the other issues.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Sorry for the long silence.
    Main issues I've had are adblocks missing ads on videos on some sites(though they work on youtube about 99% of the time) or on, and this is weirdly specific; "wiki" type things for games or shows(the ads on such seem to be semi-immune to my adblockers, somehow). Also a bit of having my adblocks get detected by adblock-blockers on websites. But that's less common than the other issues.
    The wiki ads in particular are built into the site, much like the one at the top of these forums ATM. Adblockers cant really do anything about that because its just an image the site is using as part of their format. Its annoying, but theyre advertising for their own thing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #8

A Script blocker would probably get a lot of those, but would also cost you functionality. As ever, it's a choice between convenience and security.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

A while back, AdBlock Plus implemented an Acceptable Ads program that allows certain kinds of ads to pass through its filters... And, uh, enabled it by default. I don't know if the ads you're experiencing are within that program, but if you go down to the "But I hate all ads!" section of that page, it'll give you instructions on how to make sure you're blocking those kinds of ads.

Otherwise, yeah, you can always try out switching to uBlock Origin and seeing if it's any better or worse.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    A while back, AdBlock Plus implemented an Acceptable Ads program that allows certain kinds of ads to pass through its filters... And, uh, enabled it by default. I don't know if the ads you're experiencing are within that program, but if you go down to the "But I hate all ads!" section of that page, it'll give you instructions on how to make sure you're blocking those kinds of ads.

Otherwise, yeah, you can always try out switching to uBlock Origin and seeing if it's any better or worse.
    I was going to point this out, I would suggest swapping to uBlock Origin as well.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!