New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

For reference this is taken from Paper Chase written by Keith Herber, Mark Morrison, John Sullivan, L.N. Isinwyll, with Mike Mason, Dan Kramer, and Chris Spivey, thank you!

Paper Chase?
    “Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places”
    —H. P. Lovecraft, The Picture in the House

Welcome to your second scenario of Call of Cthulhu, the Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now that you've gotten some experience under your belt concerning the rules and the way the game operates, we will enter into our first freeform scenario. This is still something intended for a beginner, so it's not going to be incredibly complex or puzzling, but nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to Paper Chase.

----
    Ossipee, 12:44 PM, September 4th, 1921.

You've done it... you've made it. You're... alive. After hours of following the trail you collapse as in front of the first signs of a civilization not trying to sacrifice you in some time.

The flames flicker over you, covering the grass, scorching your legs, and your face as you cannot scream, for your mouth has been utterly charred over. As you awaken in a grassy field, a butterfly resting on your head flits away into the cloudy blue sky above. You look around you. You are not in Emberhead anymore. You're somewhere else, somewhere... safe. As you rise to your feet and dust off your dirty clothes you realize... you're entirely without papers, you have barely anything except your wallet and a bit of cash. But, surely Arkham Books will be fine with you arriving a couple days late, I mean, you were nearly sacrificed by an insane tiny village on the top of a cliff.

As you think that in full you realize just how crazy that really sounds. It would almost be a better excuse to say that your dog ate your ticket. Who would believe you?

You slowly trudge into the city, thick dark circles are under your eyes and your shoes are ruined at this point, and they were new as well. You wanted to give a good first to the collecter at the bookshop, even if your first day was not even until the 2nd. People seem to give you a wide berth as you search for something, a telegraph, a phone booth, anything that would allow for you to contact Arkham Rare Books and beg for them to excuse your absence. Eventually, you find one.

Outside Ossipee, 6:19 PM, September 4th, 1921.

A god-darned interview? They're revoking their previous offer? They have no right! You angrily slam your foot into the side of the motor-coach, you made sure to get onto one with plenty of other people this time. The haughty woman to the left of you gives you a stern glance as you do this and shifts away from you. This wasn't at all how everything was supposed to go, but eventually, the twisting and winding turns of the road begin to allow for you to drift off. At least this driver is better than Silas.

Rochester, 8:15 PM, September 4th, 1921.

It's pouring rain, but all you can think of are the faces, of May, Silas, Mr. Winters, even little Ruth, they were all, to some extent involved in... ritual sacrifice, and for what? Your heart is full of regret as the bus lets some passengers out and others on and continues towards Arkham.

Portsmouth, 1:11 PM, September 5th, 1921.

As you board the train to Newburport and then to Arkham you happen to glance in a mirror. What happened? It's been nearly a couple days since that whole insanity occured, but could it have been a dream? Some aspects are fading now, so... could it be? Was it just a festival with some weird rural townsfolk? Why do you feel a stab of regret every time you think about it? "Altitude sickness." You think to yourself. That's the rational explanation for everything that happened.
    A cart comes by offering snacks, you go to by some chocolate BB bars when the sudden lightness of your wallet hits you.

Newburyport, 4:27 PM, September 5th, 1921.

It's a small communal village, you do not wish to explore further.

Arkham, 7:30 PM, September 5th, 1921.

You've arrived. You're nearly 3 days late from whatever hallucination-induced nightmare you experienced combined with calling every transportation company known to man. As you finally step off of the train, with nothing on you but a couple scraps, you cannot help wonder. Why? Was it worth it? Why didn't you just go back. And, at the same time, you just cannot explain it.
    As you're looking around, aiming to hopefully find a hostel, or at least a comfortable park bench, a man comes up to you. He's in his late fifties with several tufts of white hair, and has a scholarly look about him. As you approach you eye him curiously, "Hello there, my name is Mr. Rupert Merriweather. I was just walking by the station when I happened to notice a certain look in your eyes. I don't normally say this to people I just met, but, I feel a... kindred spirit with you, would you be willing to go to a cafe and talk with me for a moment?"

The man seems friendly enough, as you were hoping oh so long ago the citizenry of Arkham would be. And yet, part of you has been scarred by the events prior. Can you truly trust this man?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: EarthenRite's Paper Chase IC

Victor would nod agreement, especially as a cafe meant people, and witnesses. Plus, given his new poverty, this might be a good time to become refreshed. It couldn’t hurt to listen.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man smiles as you accept his invitation, "Splendid, there's a place just round the corner here. They have the most wonderful cookies. And don't you worry, I'm the one who's inviting you, no need for talk of bargains or bones or greed."

Rupert is right, it's merely a short walk as you find a wonderful little cafe with a couple lights on. At least here people actually go out after dark, like a normal town. "So, what brings you to Arkham, Mr...?" As you're seated a waiter comes by and hands you a small menu of food and drink associated with french cafes.

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

“Abernathy. Victor Abernathy.”

He flexed his hands and arms where the healing tissue was still somewhat stiff and sore. He ordered himself a fine coffee, and perhaps slightly more food than one might customarily. He made sure to keep his back to a wall. Insisting if necessary.

“You mentioned sensing something...what impression did you get, exactly?”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man looks nods his head. "Well, I'm Mr. Rupert Merriweather, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr. Abernathy. As for what I felt, I'm not really sure... You certainly seem to be a well-educated man, so it might have been that, but I cannot help but feel that there's something else. What is your profession, perchance?" He strokes his beard as he wonders this.

The server takes your rather large order and begins with a plate of cookies. They are, in fact, quite tasty, crispy, with a nice *snap* to them as well. Mr. Merriweather also eats them from his own order, enjoying their crisp and delicious nature.

6. - Top - End - #6

Beholder

“I deal in books...books and other antiquities. Or, I used to? It is my trade, suffice to say. It is what I’m good at, for what good it has done me. These are quite delicious...”

Victor ate his own food hungrily, straining etiquette only slightly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man gives a laugh, a rather deep laugh that resounds from within. Luckily there aren't too many patrons around this time of night, so nobody seems to give you any looks. "Why, my boy, I knew we seemed like kindred spirits! I used to be deeply involved in literature! I was a professor of cultural anthropology. I studied the ancient egyptians, along with their interaction with the Roman Empire during the first century. Why that was my specialty!" His face is alight with wonder.

He then looks down at his watch. "Oh my, would you take a look at the time. I feel absolutely dreadful that I've stopped you from going to... erm... where are you staying, if you don't mind my asking?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

“As of this moment, nowhere. I was about to check the hotel for vacancies...and rates of course. It wouldn’t do to be swindled.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Merriweather nods, "Well, my friend, I consider myself a good judge of character, and I value good-heartedness, and it seems quite clear from our conversation that you are just trying to make it in the world. There's a hotel on the corner of High and Garrison. Tell the man there, Mr. Erving, that I requested personally for you to head there. We go way back, and I'm sure he'd be willing to offer you a place there until you can get back on your feet, which I am certain will happen in no time at all."

He then stands up from his chair and sticks out his hand, ready for a firm handshake. "Well, it has been excellent meeting you Mr. Abernathy. I am very glad to find another man concerned with the study of literature, and I look forward to many more conversations with you!"

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

Victor shook the mans hand tentatively at first, as if half suspecting something to happen, and then more fully.

“Thank you, most kindly. I will speak to him. And I look forward to meeting you again soon. Perhaps we can speak of literature then in earnest.”

Victor smiled and then waited for the other man’s
    departure before sitting down to finish and then leaving to head towards this hotel, intending to “case” as they say, the place before committing to stay.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Note that there's generally going to be a one-month or so time-skip between scenarios to allow for me to describe external events and how they pertain to the game at large.
    ----

Mr. Merriweather chuckles. "That would be something I would most thoroughly enjoy. Now, farewell! Should you have the need to reach me, I do happen to have a phone at my home." As he mentions this, part of you gives a sigh of relief at the prospect of telephones. "Crestwood 432 should be able to reach me. I wish you a good night, Mister Abernathy." He gives a wink as he finishes his statement and walks off, leaving you alone in the darkness.

Arkham, 9:18 PM, September 5th, 1921

You walk up and down the unfamiliar streets, searching for High and Garrison, until you eventually find it: The Greatview Inn.
    You look around the area, trying to determine whether or not this place will try and kill you like the last one did, but in the end... there really isn't any evidence that this is anything more than a nice hotel.
    As you step inside the lobby feels like a literal breath of fresh (this place must be air conditioned during the hot summer days). Soon you meet with the receptionist, and subsequently mention Mr. Merriweather's name, she smiles and nods. "He's a rather kind man isn't he. He always helps out around town, of course his son won't have any of that. Anyway, here's your room!"

Arkham, 10:58 AM, September 6th, 1921

You rush up the steps to the doors of the Arkham Rare Books and Maps. You cannot be late for this interview, especially after that... event led you to missing your first day. In fact, you wonder if they'll even let you on at all, after all, you were already asked to man the shop, which obviously did not pan out. Nevertheless, there must be something you could work out.

Arkham, 11:47 AM, September 6th, 1921

Well, that was it. It's strange, they asked questions, but while they did, your mind was on something else: Emberhead. You cannot seem to get it out of your mind. Eventually you figured the library, being one of the greatest in the country, would have some answers, and while it does, it's not enough to satiate you.

Arkham, 12:38 PM, September 10th, 1921

You're shelving a rather large collection of books concerned with old pagan traditions, as the doorbell jingles. You head to your place behind the counter and converse with a customer who wants to buy a Latin version of The Aeneid. You quickly point out the shelf it should be on and she eagerly heads off in that direction. You then begin to think to yourself. You got the job. Apparently "Professor Merriweather," as he is called here, happened to recommend you, which cemented your position as a salesman for the shop. You realize that you're mostly selling to people only a bit younger than you (grad students and whatnot), maybe just a decade, and for some reason you feel nearly twice their age. Maybe it's because of what you experienced, or maybe it's just you, either way, you're unsure.

Arkham, 6:27 PM, September 14th, 1921

You've managed to find a rather cramped apartment next to the university on Lich St.. Despite it's size it's rather cozy, and it is not like you had too much to set down when you got here.
    Every now and then, Mr. Merriweather (or Professor Merriweather apparently) calls you up and asks if you'd like to head to the cafe and chat about the study of ancient cultures. It's here where you realize that Mr. Merriweather is quite knowledgable concerning the mystic tales and folklore of ancient cultures. Perhaps he happened to study it a very long time ago. While not as learned as he on the subject, either way, the conversations surely serve to brighten your day and are intellectually stimulating. You cannot wait to hear about the syncretic religions of the Mediterranean region and subsequent adoption of several Mesopotamian gods and tales in the

Arkham, 10:35 AM, September 22nd, 1921

You're flipping through a new book that was on the shelves, Pagan Tales: A Deep-Dive into the Pagan Influences on New England culture, when you hear another jingle at the door. You're greeted by a man who introduces himself Mr. Knott, a tall spindly sort of man with bifocals and a dash of white in his brown beard. He takes off his hat and looks down towards you, placing the bowler against his chest, "Why hello there, sir. I apologize, but might you happen to have anything concerning homes for sale? I'm a landlord you see, and I'm hoping to diversify my real estate in this town. I work normally out Westward, in Boston, of course." You simply nod and point him off towards a couple of spare magazines in the window. He picks them up, hands you some change, and departs.

Arkham, 4:05 PM, September 26th, 1921

You're reading in Orne Library (the main library on Miskatonic's campus), when suddenly a *tap tap* grabs your attention. As you raise your gaze from "Fire Rituals: from the Wicker Man to the Fourth of July, Why We Love Them" you notice that Mr. Merriweather happened to stroll up to your table. You also notice he has a cane, and has used it to rap on your desk. "Why I hadn't expected for you to be reading such a book as that? What, are you planning on capturing me and burning me alive? Should I be worried?" Your chuckle sounds false in your mouth, but Mr. Merriweather continues. "You know, I used to be part of a club here, an extra-curricular society if you would."
    He stares off in the distance towards the myriad of bookshelves in the Miskatonic Library. "We used to have such fun gallivanting around, ah vigor. To be young and spry again, eh Mister Abernathy." He then looks back to you, "Anyway, us old fogies fizzled out and stopped coming, but the club we originated from, now that's still going." He then strokes his chin, "You know, I think they're having a meeting this Friday night. You should go! I'm sure you'll meet some new people that way."
    He then looks at his watch and gasps. "Well, I'd best be headed off, Agnes will chew my ear out if I stay out to late, and Bertrand..." The man looks down then looks back with a bright smile. "Ah, I don't need to worry you with the details of my social life, farewell Victor!"

Arkham, 3:15 PM, September 30th, 1921

You head towards Room U35. You're honestly quite unsure what you're doing. What even is this "Club" anyway? Either way, you stand here at a crossroads, shall you open it? Or depart and focus on living the rest of your life, you have a job, a home, some friends, it could most surely stay that way.
    However, should you decide to open it, your life will surely be changed... forever.
    ----

Oh boy, that was long, but I hope you read all of it and enjoy. Again, I know it's very railroady, but that's kinda how I have to run the in-between segments, just to actually have everything make sense and ensure that the game does not drag on forever.

12. - Top - End - #12

Beholder

Given the level of trust being built by Merriwether Victor will go in. There has been no attempt on his life yet, so he will venture forth.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You open the door to see three people sitting in an cleared-out lecture hall, but with several chairs surrounding the table. "Well, I'm still not sure this is entirely our area of 'expertise', Lois. I'm a risk taker, fair and simple, but that doesn't mean I'm inclined to go rushing off after the first person who calls wolf!" A young african-american woman says to one of the other members. She wears fashionable clothing and seems to be filled with a sort of youthful vigor.
    "Lois," apparently the other student, flares up for just a moment. "Well ex-cuse me for believing there could be things in the world that God made other than us humans. Why, imagine the possibilities!" She is an young Italian woman with an athletic build and a stylish bob of dark brown hair.
    "Now now, settle down. While I'm unsure if this would truly be an exploration into the unexplained, the money would still go a long... oh! We have a visitor!" As the third member of the group you see a man in casual clothes, but with a rather sporting fedora. "Lois, Jessie, it appears we have a guest here. Please, stop the fighting, would you?" He then turns back towards you. "Is there something I can help you with sir?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

“Yes...I’m an acquaintance, a friend of Professor Merriwether. He suggested I should introduce myself to this club. He thought it might be of interest to me. I apologize if I interrupted, though...you seemed in heated discussion.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man looks confused, "Professor Merriweather? I'm surprised he even knew about us." He strokes his chin for a moment as Jessie happens to notice you standing in the doorway.
    "Come in! We're always accepting new members, isn't that right Professor Jones?"
    "Hmm...? Oh yes, of course, forgive my absentmindness." Professor Jones tips his fedora in your direction. Soon though Lois returns to the aforementioned "heated discussion."
    "Anyway, I say we go for it, what's the harm? We investigate it over the weekend, see what we turn up, and if there's nothing... well. Then that's it, case closed!" Lois seems to be very focused on whatever this debate is. Professor. Jones nods, only to turn back towards you, realizing that you have in fact been left out of the conversation.
    "Sorry, you haven't interrupted anything Mr..." All eyes look towards you.

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

Victor watches them with interest as they continue, finally snapping out as he is addressed.

“Abernathy. Victor Abernathy, to be complete. I couldn’t help but hear you speak of an...investigation? What are you to be investigating, if I may be so bold?”

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The man with the fedora smiles, "Ah my apologies Mr., I'm Professor Jones, Nevada Jones. Professor of archeology at this famed school of ours."
    The African-American girl then speaks up, "I'm Jessie, Jessie Williams. I'm studying history here, but I've always been interested in exploring God's mysteries."
    Then the Italian girl makes her piece as well. "Meanwhile I'm Lois Russo. I'm taking engineering classes here. This seemed like an interesting way to investigate the supernatural."
    After introductions have been made Professor Jones continues, "Sorry for suddenly involving you in this, but let me explain. We received word from a friend of mine, Mr. Kimball, that he had a rather unusual break-in. Normally he'd contact the police, but it's rather strange and all, and given the nature of this society, I thought I should broach the topic of sending one of our number out there to explore."
    Jessie's eyes then dart back towards you, "Professor Jones, does Mister Abernathy even know what this society is?"
    Everyone then awaits your response.

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Hearing their conversation, his blood ran cold and he visibly blanched. Before he could stop, he began to speak. He had not told anyone this...

“I...don’t know what sort of club this is but...I’m not unfamiliar with what you are speaking about. I was...of late...nearly a sacrifice to a cult. Madness, I know, but for the fact that you are speaking about things of that ilk.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The three immediately turn towards you, utterly dumbfounded with what you just said. "A... cult?" Professor Jones then looks towards the two younger students. "You must be..." The trio then look towards eachother.
    Lois then chuckles forcibly, "Nice one."
    Meanwhile Jessie just stares wide-eyed.
    Professor Jones then continues. "Well, Mr. Abernathy, I guess that indeed, it seems you've come to the right place..." He then smiles towards the two others, "And while, that experience I'm sure must have been harrowing, it fits into exactly what we're trying to determine."
    At this point, it seems that Jessie musters up the courage to actually speak.

"We deal with whatever strangeness lies upon God's great earth."
    Lois nods in confirmation up, "Indeed! It's a society of discovery, Miss Carter. We explore the unexplained. It's been here quite a long time, with different students and staff members leaving and join-"
    As Professor Jones cuts her off. It seems at this point they have either taken the comment about the cult in stride or they think you're being a little bit dramatic... "Now Lois, we're getting ahead of ourselves." He then looks back to you, "Now, we certainly have a wide variety of mysterious things in this world. However, in the end, much of the strangeness is more mundane than we originally anticipated. We've found traces of cults and whatnot, but nothing really specific." He then clears his throat. "So it is lucky that you've come by, we can figure out what this cult's motivation was, why they were so intent on human sacrifice!" It seems that he's trying to come to grips with what you've just mentioned through empiric thoughts.

He looks then back towards Jessie and Lois, "Hence why I do understand Jessie's-"
    "But, um... Professor, why not have a look, I'm sure that there's something there, I highly doubt an alumnus of this university such as Mr. Kimball would deceive us in such a way. It doesn't make any sense. Plus, with what Mr. Abernathy said, this is even more evidence that there are things out there that could not be explained!" She then turns towards Jessie, "And Professor Jones said we could use the mone-"
    "Wait a moment, you're busy this weekend with James, I have a paper to write on the Emancipation Proclamation, and Professor, you said you had a load of papers to grade! Not only that, but while cults are... um..." she glances in your direction, "They're not necessarily unexplained. They're groups motivated to evil based on some force of personality! Why, God himself shows us that he would never bless non-believers with power, so they have to take it for themselves with sacri-" She cuts herself off.

The professor then strokes his chin, while also gauging your reaction "That is true, Jessie, and archeological evidence does back some of that up. As for my papers, maybe I can..." He then turns towards you. "You know, Mister Abernathy, I understand that you just met this little... Society of ours, but how would you like to go on an expedition to explore the unexplained? I'm not sure what you're doing this weekend, but I'm certain you would be well-compensated for your efforts."

The two students also look towards you, Lois stares at you with pleading eyes while Jessie merely seems to be gauging your reaction. You do recall that you don't have anything going on at the bookstore, and the disaster of Emberhead is fading, maybe it might be a good time to venture out of Arkham.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

Victor nods.

“If for no other reason than the certainty that I was not losing my mind...I will go. The more I can come to terms with these things rationally, the better.”

He thought it artless to mention the compensation, though he dearly needed it.
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2019-09-25 at 06:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

They just mentioned they were all busy and couldn't make it, asking you to go there in their stead.

22. - Top - End - #22

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    They just mentioned they were all busy and couldn't make it, asking you to go there in their stead.
    Oooh I thought only the professor couldn’t...I’ll edit my response! Probably still going

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Three smiles grow onto the faces of the club members, replacing their horror and shock at your previous revelation. "Sounds mighty fine Mister Abernathy! Anyway, about the case, Thomas Kimball, an alumni of Miskatonic has been burglarized."
    Lois then chimes in "But this wasn't any ordinary burglary, no. For the burglar only stole books. There were a variety of other valuables within the house, but the burglar only took a couple of his uncle's favorite books." Her voice then takes on a lower pitch, masked in mystery. "And the strange part is that his uncle, Douglas Kimball, vanished nearly two years ago without a trace."
    Professor Jones then smiles as the two students retell the story, and cannot resist adding in a piece of his own. "Now Victor, Thomas has no idea if the two events are even related in the slightest, but apparently his uncle was a rather mundane fellow. Nothing ever happened to him, and the fact that these two strange events occured in the past couple of years and are associated with his uncle brought our attention." He then raises his hand to note, "We've helped people in the past, Victor. The Arkham Police Department sometimes calls on us, but Thomas lives in Arnoldsberg, a couple hours drive from here. I wouldn't expect any help, so I'm afraid you'll be on your own for this investigation. But it shouldn't be too bad right? Just try your best and see what you can find."
    He then hands you a coach ticket towards Arnoldsberg, "This was included in the request, I hope you don't mind a couple hours' drive. Ths coach should leave tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'll offer you enough time to return on Monday." The Society smiles, happy to have a new member of their group.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

“I...thank you. Yes, I will certainly look into traveling by coach. Preferably well populated. I’ve had bad experiences before. Are there...accommodations to be found in Arnoldsberg? Are those included in the retainer for this service? Also, is the uncle’s collection valued anywhere do you know? Has there been an accounting so I will be able to know what is missing? This does seem rather squarely in my wheelhouse, as it were. I am glad to be of service.”

Victor gave a weak smile and took the tickets with some trepidation.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Professor Jones nods at first, "Thomas informed us that anyone who would be investigating would be more than welcome to stay at his residence." As for the accounting, he shakes his head. "I'm afraid that Thomas has only informed us that some of the books themselves were missing. I'm ultimately unsure what the total valuation would be of any books that were taken."
    Lois then notes, "It's quite lucky that you joined our little group just in time for this, eh? You're right! This does seem to be exactly what would be useful for solving this case."
    Jessie shakes her head, "Lois, a couple of missing books is no way at all to declare something a 'case.'"

The two soon continue to bicker and the conversation continues on. It's actually rather soothing to be around a group of friendly people who do not seem to want to kill you, but nevertheless, time is eventually up and you all go your separate ways...
    ----

Are you ready to depart?

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

Before departing, Victor will take the liberty of two courses of action. The first will be to procure for himself a sturdy but concealable knife,’to hide about his person as a tool of last resort, in case something goes awry. Second, he is going to do some current research about the town and its surroundings, being sure to take the numbers for the local police stations, including those of the towns around Arnoldsberg. Then, he will gather any reference material he may need for his field of antiquary study and begin to head out.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Victor gathers the information and the item mentioned. It seems that Arnoldsberg is a rather small town, so there's only one police station, but it's easily in the center of town and very accessible. With everything else ready, the time has come.

Arkham, 10:15 AM, October 1st, 1921

(Quick Recap Boxed Text:) You have been contacted by Thomas Kimball of Michigan. It seems his house has been burglarized and some of his uncle's favorite books have been stolen. The mystery also has the added wrinkle in that his uncle inexplicably disappeared without a trace nearly a year ago. Mr. Kimball would like you to find out who stole the books, return them if possible, and, if somehow these two events are related, discover the whereabouts of his uncle and whether he is still alive.

You board the coach, and you can't help but be slightly trepidatious considering that the last one you went on led to... well... you're not really sure exactly what happened. You are grateful, however, to notice several passengers have gotten on in addition to you. Anyway, it's time for a new journey.

Just Past Ossipee, 12:18 PM, October 1st, 1921

The coach crests over a hill with some slight difficulty, but eventually manage to crest it and make it through what appears to be the charred ruins of a town. Given your background, you identify it to have most likely burned down in some kind of forest fire several decades earlier. It is at this moment when you realize exactly where you are. You're in Emberhead.
    However this doesn't make any sense. You remember being here a month ago. You're not entirely sure what happened then, but you're certain that you were definitely there. However, you have little time to ponder this utterly confusing turn of events, when suddenly, you're gone. You've headed down the hill. The charred ruins of what must have at one point been Emberhead stand alone, fading off into the distance.

Arnoldsberg, 2:39 PM, October 1st, 1921

You exit the coach, thank the driver, and begin to look around. You've been dropped off on what you presume to be the main thoroughfare of the town, which, while most certainly not that large, is still respectable. You happen to notice an actual police department (you silently thank whoever/whatever you would thank in this scenario), a real library (as opposed to one in the "village hall"), and even a newspaper, as a young boy eagerly runs up to you handing you a copy of the Arnoldsberg Advertiser for but a couple coins.
    You pull out the rest of the letter, as you eventually find yourself wandering the streets of Arnoldsberg until the rural (if it could be called that) elements fade away, and as you reach 218, Aylesbury St., all that's there is one lonely house next to the graveyard. You don't see too many other houses except this one for a couple hundred feet or so, as you notice the most likely reason: it's right next to the graveyard.
    As you knock on the door, you hear a voice from inside shout: "One moment please!"
    Eventually, a young man opens the door, he looks around almost as if he expected several people but then extends his hand warily from the doorstep. "Hello there, I'm, well, I'm Thomas Kimball. Are you a member of... The Society?" He lowers his voice, as if it was some deep dark secret that the two of you were discussing in a crowd.

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

Deciding it best to play the part of competence, and assurance, in the face of the man who needs the help, Victor nods, lowering his voice to the same level as Kimball’s.

“I am.”

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You see Thomas practically shudder as he continues, his voice slightly elevated once he realizes no neighbors can overhear your conversation (in fact, Thomas has very few neighbors to begin with anyway). He then shifts slightly. "Well, uh, yes. I'd like for you to look into the theft, and i-if maybe you could shed any light on my uncle's disappearance." He then realizes that you're still standing outside on the porch. "Oh, come in, come in, I'm s-so sorry. The break-in just has me a bit flustered is all, and it's not like the police are going to pay any attention to some missing books. Can I get your bags?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

Victor smiles, hoping to set the man at ease as he passes him the bags.

“Thank you; that is most kind. My name is Victor Abernathy, and by trade I deal in antique books. Might I ask what it was that was taken? If you know the titles as I suspect you might.”

Victor follows him into the house, looking briefly at the locks on the front door to see what kind protects the house usually.