New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default ASI Common Sense: +2 to primary stat or +1 to 2x important stats

On Monday, we started a new game and i rolled pretty well. I had a 16, 2x 15.

Playing a Halfling Monk, I took the 16 for Dex(now 18), and put the 15s in Con and Wisdom.

I was wondering what would be the best use of my first ASI. Improving Con and Wisdom to 16, or boosting my Dex to 20?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: ASI Common Sense: +2 to primary stat or +1 to 2x important stats

Normally, it’s always better to pump the primary stat. But the monk’s case is interesting, in this case you get +1 to attack and damage, or +4 hit points, and +1 to save dc. You get +1 ac in birth cases. It all depends on if you’re subclass and combat choices revolve more around damage dealing, or more around controlling the battlefield. I say, you can’t go wrong with either, but would be more inclined to pump dex over the others (with knowledge i’m just going to pump the others in 4 levels.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    Normally, it’s always better to pump the primary stat. But the monk’s case is interesting, in this case you get +1 to attack and damage, or +4 hit points, and +1 to save dc. You get +1 ac in birth cases. It all depends on if you’re subclass and combat choices revolve more around damage dealing, or more around controlling the battlefield. I say, you can’t go wrong with either, but would be more inclined to pump dex over the others (with knowledge i’m just going to pump the others in 4 levels.)
    I am planning to be a Kensai with quarterstaff and multibarrel blowguns.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd go con and wisdom. A lot of characters go through games being unable to max their primary before level 8, and they handle well. You're starting with a punchy dex already.

Meanwhile, evening these two scores out will let you increase your health and DC for things like stunning strike. Meaning you can take a hit and then prove others can't!

Plan on doing whichever you don't choose at lv 8, and you'll be functionally immune to buyer's remorse. Both are solid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I'd also say Con and Wis. 18 is plenty for your primary attacking stat levels 4-8 and improving your Stunning Strike DC really ups your effectiveness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Con and Wis for the reasons mentioned above plus getting a +1 to two good saves vs one good save.
    Emongnome