New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A Prestige class focusing on rays?

Before everyone jumps on me with Spellwarp Sniper I must say I know it's there.... but it's not what I'm looking for. Seems to me that the strenght of that class is the Spellwarp ability, or in other words the ability to turn non-ray spells into rays. Plus you need sneak attack or similar to qualify...

I'm looking for a prestige that doesn't lose effective spell levels and that somehow helps me be better with ray spells. While class features that directly help rays are nice this could also be in the form of a better bab or just extra metamagic feats or anything like that.

Oh and if you sugest something please also mention in which book it is.

Thanks in advance.
    Arena Medals:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: A Prestige class focusing on rays?

Well keep in mind that rays are weaponlike spells so you could take Weapon Focus(ray) and eventually Improved Critical (ray). As for a prestige class that could help, I'm just not sure. You probably won't find much to help your BAB because rays are specifically ranged touch attacks to compensate for the caster's bad BAB.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Incantatrix, from Player's Guide to Faerun. If you can get to the capstone ability at class level 10, it's a killer - combine it with Split Ray (Complete Arcane) and double the effect of every single one of your ray spells for only a +1 spell level adjustment each. Chain Spell is good, too.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #4

Yeah I know. Point blank shot also helps and so does precise shot if you have the tanks to pin the enemys in place

Oh Incantatrix.... possible the most broken prestige ever.... from what I've heard anyway...

More sugestions?
    Arena Medals:

5. - Top - End - #5

Planetar

Abjurant Champion? From Complete Mage. Less broken than Incantatrix, but still very strong. Requires BAB +5 and Combat Casting, but gives full BAB and full caster level progression. Should make hitting with your rays pretty easy.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Incantatrix, from Player's Guide to Faerun. If you can get to the capstone ability at class level 10, it's a killer - combine it with Split Ray (Complete Arcane) and double the effect of every single one of your ray spells for only a +1 spell level adjustment each. Chain Spell is good, too.

- Saph
    Is there any wizard that that class doesn't make better?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arkol View Post
    Oh Incantatrix.... possible the most broken prestige ever.... from what I've heard anyway...
    Well, now there's the Planar Shepherd, but otherwise... yeah.

The Unseen Seer could help--it advances sneak attack or skirmish damage (+4d6/10 levels... for skirmish too, rather than half damage increase, half AC bonus). If you don't want to continue with Arcane Trickster or something, Scout 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10 is tolerable.

8. - Top - End - #8

And Unseen Seer is from what book?
    Arena Medals:

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

How do you meet the skill pre-reqs of Unseen Seer with only 1 level in Scout? US requires 8 ranks in a couple of non-wizard skills, doesn't it?

- Saph

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    How do you meet the skill pre-reqs of Unseen Seer with only 1 level in Scout? US requires 8 ranks in a couple of non-wizard skills, doesn't it?

- Saph
    Very carefully.

Or rather--by having a high-INT and cross-classing those skills. Once a skill was a class skill, max ranks are HD+3 forever.

Of course, this eats up all of your wizardly skill points, which is why I take Able Learner to make it easy.

Oh, and Unseen Seer is from the Complete Mage.
    Last edited by Reel On, Love; 2007-10-14 at 06:06 PM. Reason: SKILL points, not hit points. Skill points.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Ocular Adept is Divine, but you get 20 eye rays per day(granted, Sleep and Telekinesis see limited use, as will the 2 Inflict Wounds and Charm Person, but you get Finger of Death, Disintegrate, and Flesh to Stone twice a day each!). Funny, I thought they had Slay Living in there.

Anyways, along the same lines, there's Ocular Spell from Lords of Madness.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.